P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I may have misheard or misunderstood, I’ll rewatch it later.
We’re young grandparents, although my kids would laugh at that! I’m 52 & my husband is 53. We don’t feel particularly high risk, but saying that, a former neighbour, who is our age, was very unwell with the virus and sadly died after 7 weeks of being in hospital so maybe we aren’t as low risk as we would like to think emoji15.png

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to hear about your neighbour.

It is best to go on the government website on coronavirus for full clarification of what you can and cannot do.

Let's be honest peeps, no one is really caring about this bubble nonsense anymore.

Lady W and I went into Cafe Nero today. We sat the designated 2 metres away from a couple of strangers.  They could just as well have been our family members  - what is the difference?  

The rules have now become so convoluted that no one understands them. I can go to a pub, with dozens of strangers,  but theoretically cannot visit my Mum, because my sister is visiting her this weekend.  Explain the logic in that?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Explain the logic in that?

There isn't any. I think they're making it up day by day. It's gradually turning into a farce. One thing that's starting to concern me is that we don't  seem to have a  leader anymore . 

Everybody's  running around like headless chickens spouting their own agenda and contradicting each other. It's no wonder we're all confused. 

Avril 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

There isn't any. I think they're making it up day by day. It's gradually turning into a farce. One thing that's starting to concern me is that we don't  seem to have a  leader anymore . 

Everybody's  running around like headless chickens spouting their own agenda and contradicting each other. It's no wonder we're all confused. 

Avril 

Indeed.

Graham, in an earlier post suggested that we should go online to see what we can and cannot do.

My feeling is that if we need to log on to see if a grand child can see their grand parents, the message has been lost!

I am now taking the view that no one knows the rules anymore, so I will do what I like with regard to visiting other people, unless they have underlying medical issues.

Having said that, there seem to be numerous overweight, diabetic individuals in my local Wetherspoon's who don't seem to be taking their health care very seriously!! 

9 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I've been nervous all day, let's hope we can build on it. 

Great,I think we're safe now.Just got back from the restaurant and turned computer on when I posted.Forgot all about it when we were out,lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear about your neighbour.

It is best to go on the government website on coronavirus for full clarification of what you can and cannot do.

Thanks. I've just had a look on there and can't see anything to suggest that the government is now giving the ok for us to look after our grandchildren unless one of our households is a single adult household. 

• Like 1

I agree with everyone, it’s a right muddle!

We can see our grandchild I just can’t see him as much as I used to, or have him to myself 😬 It doesn’t help they live in a flat, so when it was gardens only they could only come to us. It’s only Sundays really and we can’t monopolise them as she has a big family and I’m sure they want to spend some Sundays just the three of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Let's be honest peeps, no one is really caring about this bubble nonsense anymore.

Lady W and I went into Cafe Nero today. We sat the designated 2 metres away from a couple of strangers.  They could just as well have been our family members  - what is the difference?  

The rules have now become so convoluted that no one understands them. I can go to a pub, with dozens of strangers,  but theoretically cannot visit my Mum, because my sister is visiting her this weekend.  Explain the logic in that?

I suppose the govt are continuing to follow their softly softly approach to the implementation of the rules, and trusting everyone to try and honour them without the need for enforcement.  Strangely I believe that in the main this has worked, there have been exceptions, some very high profile, but despite these people have generally seen the sense of what has been asked of them.

As a family we have discussed how we can now see more of each other, but both my sons are reluctant to step outside the boundaries, however minor this would be, rather like your thoughts as to why you and your sister cannot visit with your Mum at the same time wowzz.

I do believe that we are in the vast majority, which is why we are now seeing the numbers down to far more manageable levels, which should enable our track and trace system to identify and deal with localised outbreaks, and hopefully prevent a further large spike.

There’s a further confusing element in all this, in that some of the ‘rules’ are enforceable by law, and some aren’t.

For example, the advice about different families sharing a holiday home appears only to be advisory. I’d assumed it was enforceable.

A lot of the shielded group have assumed they were prevented by law from going out. That wasn’t the case either, though it was sound common sense. And probably still is.

Confusion like this doesn’t help anybody.

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

There’s a further confusing element in all this, in that some of the ‘rules’ are enforceable by law, and some aren’t.

For example, the advice about different families sharing a holiday home appears only to be advisory. I’d assumed it was enforceable.

A lot of the shielded group have assumed they were prevented by law from going out. That wasn’t the case either, though it was sound common sense. And probably still is.

Confusion like this doesn’t help anybody.

Would you prefer the Chinese approach that they took with their lockdown then Harry?

Edited by terrierjohn

We shall continue to take notice of our own personal rules and do what we consider to be best for us. With all this confusion and our so called leader or leaders falling all over themselves at the moment, it seems to be the safest option for now. We're doing what the government should be doing and listening to Sir Patrick Vallance et al. I read or listen to their advice whenever I find any, and monitor our local covid stats carefully. I do whatever makes me feel safe. It's all any of us can do, or we will be joining hands with Boris's Glee Club and dancing round in never ending circles and disappearing ------ you know where😆

Avril 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We are all ultimately responsible for our own health John. 

Avril 

But you only have that luxury Avril, because you live in a liberal democracy.   You may consider the govt advise to be a little woolly, but that is far better than having the police batter down your door in the middle of the night, because a neighbour has reported you for some minor transgression.

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Would you prefer the Chinese approach that they took with their lockdown then Harry?

Just clarity and consistency among government ministers, John, without all the confused messages.

The New Zealand approach has been one of the best. Clear, consistent messages which the population both understood and trusted. We don’t have that, and it leads to the couldn’t care less attitude which so many here, including me, are unhappy about.

• Like 5

Boris’ logic is totally flawed! 
I think the majority of the population at present have had enough of social distancing, and are flouting the guidance anyway.

Sadly I think there is going to be a lot of people starting to be unemployed in the next couple of months. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just clarity and consistency among government ministers, John, without all the confused messages.

The New Zealand approach has been one of the best. Clear, consistent messages which the population both understood and trusted. We don’t have that, and it leads to the couldn’t care less attitude which so many here, including me, are unhappy about.

We saw a good example of that on the TV news a few nights ago.

The interviewer was in a town centre asking people what they thought about wearing masks in  shops they visit ?

One guys response was .." Er well nowt really ,I don't believe in covid anyway" and then walked off.

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes but the population of NZ is so small that Jacinda can pop round to them all and explain what she requires, and she is better looking than Boris as well.😇

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But you only have that luxury Avril, because you live in a liberal democracy.   You may consider the govt advise to be a little woolly, but that is far better than having the police batter down your door in the middle of the night, because a neighbour has reported you for some minor transgression.

I don't want to come across sounding cold and unfeeling here John but, I have family and friends living here and they concern me much more than China at the moment. 

Avril 

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:07 AM, Adawn47 said:

Oh hello again. I wondered where you'd disappeared to 😊, I was a little concerned. The courgette and aubergine chips sound lovely, I'm going to give them a try. I have a large rosemary bush growing in the garden so I'm going to give your version of chips a try too.

Sis 

Hi,our baked dumplings with a tablespoon of olive oil instead of suet turned out ok.Having a Kate and Sydney pud Sunday,see how that turns out.All that chicken mixed with gammon looks a dogs dinner but was lovely,lol,Brian.20200714_181254.thumb.jpg.8f64bdfcba91518896ec3767da63473d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Logical female  prime minister. 

What more can I say? 😉

Avril 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We are all ultimately responsible for our own health John. 

Avril 

So aren't you following the rules of Boris's glee club, or are you too making it all up as you go along. You seem to have taken a ' Harry ' pill.😂

41 minutes ago, kalos said:

We saw a good example of that on the TV news a few nights ago.

The interviewer was in a town centre asking people what they thought about wearing masks in  shops they visit ?

One guys response was .." Er well nowt really ,I don't believe in covid anyway" and then walked off.

Which town centre kalos? It sounds suspiciously like mine. 

Avril 

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Which town centre kalos? It sounds suspiciously like mine. 

Avril 

It was on Calendar but cannot remember which town centre it was .

It's what he said that stuck with me as if someone had asked him ,whats father christmas bringing you ? :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

So aren't you following the rules of Boris's glee club, or are you too making it all up as you go along. You seem to have taken a ' Harry ' pill.😂

I'm following my own rules zap.

I'm keeping to social distancing except with close family. 

Only going out when necessary and wearing a mask the moment I get to the  bus stop and not taking it off until I get home.

Plenty of hand washing and making sure everyone in the house does the same. 

That was  Sir Patrick Vallance's advice all along before the water's were muddied by other politcal 'agendas' and has never changed.

Avril 

• Like 4