P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, Josy1953 said:

We are also waiting for schools to go back in September, we are planning to go to Southwold, over 30 years since we have been there (or anywhere else for a UK holiday).  Foreign holidays and cruises hold little appeal for us until there is a vaccine.

Josy

Not a lot has change in Southwold, little ferry still working.

Pier might be new though.

Also a few little restaurants in the harbour.

We have just come back from a last-minute three night caravan break in Paignton.

We've done very little except walk, read, sleep and eat!   Excellent precautions on the fairly large site, felt very safe and we spent the afternoon yesterday sitting out on the balcony of the restaurant, with one of the Carnival ships on the horizon, eating scampi and chips from a box,  washed down with a draught beer.  Saturday morning was the first morning I've woken up since lockdown, without my first thought being about the virus.

Didn't want to come home.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Just passed Warkworth Castle and very close to Amble.

IMG_20200713_142712.jpg

We called at Alnmouth which had a lovely beach before going to Amble.

After Amble we went to Newbiggin on the sea where we are now.

Next stop is Whitley bay then home going via the Tyne Tunnel

IMG_20200713_155437.jpg

IMG_20200713_155501.jpg

IMG_20200713_155556.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We are also waiting for schools to go back in September, we are planning to go to Southwold, over 30 years since we have been there (or anywhere else for a UK holiday).  Foreign holidays and cruises hold little appeal for us until there is a vaccine.

Lovely place, lovely area. Very smart now - probably a lot more than last time you went, and certainly very considerably more than when we lived not far from there. Benjamin Britten changed that whole coastline.

Ideal place for a really relaxing holiday.  Best fish and chips at Aldeburgh - the one at the end of the main street, just up from the beach.

https://www.aldeburghfishandchips.co.uk/

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Lovely place, lovely area. Very smart now - probably a lot more than last time you went, and certainly very considerably more than when we lived not far from there. Benjamin Britten changed that whole coastline.

Ideal place for a really relaxing holiday.  Best fish and chips at Aldeburgh - the one at the end of the main street, just up from the beach.

And the home of Adnams brewery!

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite right Harry, they use beef dripping/fat, in there fryers.

Have played golf with the owner!

Just now, mercury7289 said:

Quite right Harry, they use beef dripping/fat, in there fryers.

Have played golf with the owner!

That explains it.  Been going there for as far back as I can remember. Not as often as I’d like though.

Is the family from Yorkshire by any chance?

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

That explains it.  Been going there for as far back as I can remember. Not as often as I’d like though.

Is the family from Yorkshire by any chance?

Not sure will ask.

Member at Thorpeness GC.

22 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

wowzz

Been having home deliveries of wine and beer though out lock down.

Have had an a/c with them for over 30 years.

Always a Tolly Cobbold man myself.........which gives my age away.  

Such a shame what’s happened to good local breweries, with a few exceptions such as Adnams.  Microbreweries have at least redressed the balance, but the economic climate isn’t good for them.

20 hours ago, pete14 said:

And Harry has found somewhere else to live. If we were to start looking seriously for a ‘Heaven’ it would have to be dog friendly and lacking in large numbers of kids.

We have found it -- very quiet, very doggy and even cat friendly, and very few children - infact the very small play area is a real hike from us so no problem 🙂 So excited now ....... funnily enough our 2 week cruise on Oceana is a distant memory and we just can not wait to go to beautiful Wales to just walk by the sea. 

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Always a Tolly Cobbold man myself.........which gives my age away.  

Such a shame what’s happened to good local breweries, with a few exceptions such as Adnams.  Microbreweries have at least redressed the balance, but the economic climate isn’t good for them.

More South towards Ipswich, the brewing family were tied up with the Football Club

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Used to be in a mixed choir for 30 + years that sang a lot of Benjamin Britten stuff - our lovely choir leader was a mad fan. Have to say that some of the pieces have put me off BB for life ....... I think it was the War Requiem that used to sound like a record being played backwards ............. and  used to get the giggles in rehearsals. "Rock hard it was" as  the kids say !

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

And the home of Adnams brewery!

I just googled Adnams brewery and now I am looking for a place to purchase and try their beer range in New Jersey. Does anyone know where I can buy it? I am not a big fan of beer but sometimes I like to buy some nice, expensive bottle of beer and just enjoy the game on TV or relax with it in the back yard

20 hours ago, happy v said:

So you will be there for the next six weeks then?

It looks fabulous.

Not all of it - backwards and forwards as we have loads to sort it all out. Really excited and it is good to have the flexibility to go when we want and at the last minute. 🙂

• Like 3

Just now, Roger88 said:

I just googled Adnams brewery and now I am looking for a place to purchase and try their beer range in New Jersey. Does anyone know where I can buy it? I am not a big fan of beer but sometimes I like to buy some nice, expensive bottle of beer and just enjoy the game on TV or relax with it in the back yard

They call it liming! apparently!

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Contact

https://www.adnams.co.uk/articles/adnams-ghost-ship-sails-into-the-usa.htm#

Just now, Presto2 said:

Not all of it - backwards and forwards as we have loads to sort it all out. Really excited and it is good to have the flexibility to go when we want and at the last minute. 🙂

Presto2

The best advise I can give you is to fully kit it out, saves carting things backwards and forwards.

Means that you can just jump in the car and go.

It also stops it being a chore!

Ours is fully kitted out including clothes.

We spend between 3 and 5 months a year at ours.

Not this year!

Have not been!

1 minute ago, mercury7289 said:

Presto2

The best advise I can give you is to fully kit it out, saves carting things backwards and forwards.

Means that you can just jump in the car and go.

It also stops it being a chore!

Ours is fully kitted out including clothes.

We spend between 3 and 5 months a year at ours.

Not this year!

Have not been!

Hi, we are in the process of kitting it all out now with trips to Dunelm Mills and Argos ! We have been trying to buy British to stock it but we are amazed at how much stuff is not made in the UK. As a true 'Potter' we are horrified that it has been so difficult to find a dinner set made in Stoke on Trent !!!!

Where is your caravan by the way? When we retire I can't see us ever wanting to come home !!!

7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, we are in the process of kitting it all out now with trips to Dunelm Mills and Argos ! We have been trying to buy British to stock it but we are amazed at how much stuff is not made in the UK. As a true 'Potter' we are horrified that it has been so difficult to find a dinner set made in Stoke on Trent !!!!

Where is your caravan by the way? When we retire I can't see us ever wanting to come home !!!

Near Minsmere bird reserve, overlooking the sea.

Have had dinner in the Potters Club in Stoke, whispering restaurant,a number of years ago.cannot recall its proper name!

Edited by mercury7289
add.

3 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Near Minsmere bird reserve, overlooking the sea.

Have had dinner in the Potters Club, whispering restaurant,a number of years ago.cannot recall its proper name!

Is that the one near the station? If so we have regular meetings there 🙂