P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Guest ccpm

Anyone just popped out for lunch and come back to find 21 shrink wrapped navy hardwood doors outside their house? No - just me then! Rang the builder - no reply. Rang the supplier - won't go into that rubbish. Rang my brother - unusually he was of some use. He says chill I didn't order them therefore it isn't my problem - OKish. But just by the by despite only turning up here earlier this week he happens to be passing by tomorrow and he will get it dealt with.

I however do not want said doors out the front of my house where (very unlikely but just my darn luck) any Tom Dick or Harry could make off with them. Plan formed (Yes by me) wait until 6ish and go round to the young lad who built my wall with his crew and ask if he could help me out and shift them behind the wall. Cross his palm with whatever and get him to ring his boss and say ***** are these doors doing here. Think that covers it. So much for the uneventful day of the trainee hermit.

Surprising developments local when the the Diocese of Lichfield announced that motion to close one of the 2 local churches has been put forward, a public meeting has been called for later this month.

To me it has come as no surprise as the church building Grade II listed, is in need of a significant investment to repair the issues raised when it was put on the Historic England at risk register 5 years ago. The list includes 3 serious problems with the fabric of the church 

1. The Tower needs attention as masonry has fallen on occasions, cause is due to weather erosion

2. All the roofs of the church need stripping back and relaying 

3. The Chancel is rotating away from the Nave, subsidence is the mostly likely cause, and it will be very expensive to fix.

So with dwindling congregations and the inability of the church to raise repair funding it would seem logical to merge the parishes under the auspices of the other parish church. I suspect over the coming years we will see other Dioceses taking similar action to reduce the church estate.

Needless to say this hasn’t be received well in some quarters, but there is a real risk the church may be forced to close at some point as too dangerous for the public. 

• Like 4

Just watched the Masterchef final. 

As always,  a difficult decision, but the correct one,  imho.

I always thought marine pilots were hardened, grizzled sea farers, not, dare I say it, good looking young men ! 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Totally agree with you wowzz I picked him out a wile back , but I thought all 3 were very good and deserved to be the last 3 of the competition.

Was it his cooking that made you pick him out, or his luxuriant black locks of hair?  (I've come a bit Barbara Cartland! )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Morning

I did write a few replies yesterday evening but they aren't there now, I suspect it's the old issue with my iPad again.

Anyway, the wheelchair was surprisingly easy to manoeuvre and I'm pleased to report I didn't run anyone over 😀

I'm afraid I didn't spend too much money Kalos, but Mum & I did get a few bits of makeup that we can't get in our smaller local stores.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Morning

I did write a few replies yesterday evening but they aren't there now, I suspect it's the old issue with my iPad again.

Anyway, the wheelchair was surprisingly easy to manoeuvre and I'm pleased to report I didn't run anyone over 😀

I'm afraid I didn't spend too much money Kalos, but Mum & I did get a few bits of makeup that we can't get in our smaller local stores.

Really pleased to hear the inaugural wheelchair outing was successful and that no one was injured in the process. 
Hopefully your Mum feels better about it all too.

I also had some posts disappear yesterday….

Not long to go now…….

• Like 1

I’m on the train to London for a working day in the city and we’re just having a brief hold up outside the metropolis known as Stevenage. Looks like it’s going to be a lovely sunny day and despite my usual pre-travel anxiety I’m looking forward to catching up with my colleagues in the office. 
When I was laid off in 2018 I thought that I wouldn’t miss these long days and 400 mile round trips but I did and I remain grateful that I got a second chance with the only company I’ve ever worked for.

Have a great day everyone & happy holidays to all setting sail soon.

• Like 9

Hi all,we had a lovely time in Basingstoke and especially the IOW.I haven't been there since 1976 and it is still a lovely island.I had a cough and cold  before leaving ,did a quick test and was ok.The day after we returned my SIL phoned and her and her OH have the dreaded lurgy.We did a test and was positive.I should have realised when we visited a garlic farm and had a takeaway ruby on monday and neither smelt or tasted strong.Getting better now but still have a bit of a cough.Brian.

• Like 11

Good new, Damian.  I hope you are in the sort of job where you can genuinely work from home some of the time.  That is a long journey.

I used to work part time latterly, two or three days a week, and enjoyed the contrast of going in to work and having free time the rest of the week.  I was lucky in having a husband who could support us without me needing to work full time, though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Good new, Damian.  I hope you are in the sort of job where you can genuinely work from home some of the time.  That is a long journey.

I used to work part time latterly, two or three days a week, and enjoyed the contrast of going in to work and having free time the rest of the week.  I was lucky in having a husband who could support us without me needing to work full time, though.

I mostly worked from home 2012-2018 when it was a real privilege and now I do the same when it is more common. I’ll be tired tonight and tomorrow but it’s still good to have these days out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

So sad to read this Sarah ,I thought you were going to spend lots and lots in readiness for 

your cruise .Just think when your pushing your mum around the ships shops and thinking,

"Oh my ,things are so expensive ,I wish I had took Kalos's advice and spent my money in 

Blue Water shopping centre ! "  Knowing you were helping a poor pensioner to keep a crust

of bread upon his table :classic_wink: Never mind ,you enjoy your cruise and take care :classic_love::classic_smile:

10 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I mostly worked from home 2012-2018 when it was a real privilege and now I do the same when it is more common. I’ll be tired tonight and tomorrow but it’s still good to have these days out.

Glad to hear your doing good ,with working from home ,It didn't work out for me ..

Mrs Kalos didn't take kindly to the pallet truck in our living room :classic_unsure:

Hope everyone has a good day  take care everyone :classic_love::classic_smile:

• Haha 12

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,we had a lovely time in Basingstoke and especially the IOW.I haven't been there since 1976 and it is still a lovely island.I had a cough and cold  before leaving ,did a quick test and was ok.The day after we returned my SIL phoned and her and her OH have the dreaded lurgy.We did a test and was positive.I should have realised when we visited a garlic farm and had a takeaway ruby on monday and neither smelt or tasted strong.Getting better now but still have a bit of a cough.Brian.

Get well soon Brian. Me and DW got it about 6 weeks ago. It took 10 days to be negative again, although I am normally a positive person🤔. We always think that going to IoW is a bit like going back to the 1970's.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Was it his cooking that made you pick him out, or his luxuriant black locks of hair?  (I've come a bit Barbara Cartland! )

Just googled him - he could certainly do with a haircut....🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

I’m on the train to London for a working day in the city and we’re just having a brief hold up outside the metropolis known as Stevenage. Looks like it’s going to be a lovely sunny day and despite my usual pre-travel anxiety I’m looking forward to catching up with my colleagues in the office. 
When I was laid off in 2018 I thought that I wouldn’t miss these long days and 400 mile round trips but I did and I remain grateful that I got a second chance with the only company I’ve ever worked for.

Have a great day everyone & happy holidays to all setting sail soon.

I'd have waved if I'd known...👋🏻😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

The Garlic Farm is great isn't it. I had lunch there last time I was on the Island. Glad to hear you are not feeling too ill with Covid.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just watched the Masterchef final. 

As always,  a difficult decision, but the correct one,  imho.

I always thought marine pilots were hardened, grizzled sea farers, not, dare I say it, good looking young men ! 

I agree (about the winner - don’t know if I’ve ever met a marine pilot)!  I wish I’d put a bet on it because I had him earmarked as the winner from the very first episode.

38 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The Garlic Farm is great isn't it. I had lunch there last time I was on the Island. Glad to hear you are not feeling too ill with Covid.

Our daughter saw the sign for the farm on the way back to the ferry.We all diverted there,what a mission,the country lanes and turns went on forever.The island is a lot bigger than I remember.Sort of glad I caught "IT" now,just a matter of time with us using public transport most days and me going to the gym with loads of noisy blokes 4 times a week,lol.Another load of antibodies swimming around now,cheers, Brian.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Get well soon Brian. Me and DW got it about 6 weeks ago. It took 10 days to be negative again, although I am normally a positive person🤔. We always think that going to IoW is a bit like going back to the 1970's.

Cheers mate,we were more worried about the BIL,he is disabled in his 80s and last time with covid he ended up in hospital but he seems ok this time round,Brian.

• Like 4

We have just had lunch at a restaurant in the old Spode pottery factory because my niece gave me a gift voucher for my birthday.  It was the first time that we have eaten there but it will not be the last. The food was excellent but the portion was too much for me so sadly no dessert.  OH was happy to see that the plates were old Spode designs and we recognised the cups and saucers were Portmierion so pleased that they are using local ware.

20220506_121944.thumb.jpg.8b9ecd3af45471f3f339be5757d1372b.jpg

• Like 10