P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

That meal looks heavenly.  I love Welsh cakes; warm up two small ones after my healthy yogurt and fruit for breakfast often, alternating with a slice of a brioche loaf, warmed ciabatta roll or toasted muffin.  A friend has threatened me with laver bread, which she will be bringing back from Wales, as she says what you can buy here is rubbish.  Not looking forward, but I am sure healthier than what I normally  have.

• Like 1

Guest ccpm

Food looks lovely. BUT anyone make their own onion rings successfully? Mine always fail. Any tips welcome.

Re laptop - back pack every time. Plus re kids/students carry them round they choose to they are not required to and very many parents of school kids could not afford to provide one. If an employer provides one and then requires you to move it between bases it is their responsibility to provide a means of transport that does not compromise the health and safety of their employees. I bet there is a case somewhere about transporting work materials and equipment. 

36 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Food looks lovely. BUT anyone make their own onion rings successfully? Mine always fail. Any tips welcome.

Re laptop - back pack every time. Plus re kids/students carry them round they choose to they are not required to and very many parents of school kids could not afford to provide one. If an employer provides one and then requires you to move it between bases it is their responsibility to provide a means of transport that does not compromise the health and safety of their employees. I bet there is a case somewhere about transporting work materials and equipment. 

Students require laptops - they’re used now in lectures and very few desktops are provided in university libraries etc. Many schools also have a ‘bring your own device’ policy to supplement the devices provided in school. Seriously though, laptops are now so light and mobile. I bet some people’s make-up bags, lunch boxes, water bottles and gym kits weigh more than laptops. I really don’t  see what the issue is. Granted in the past, they were heavier. 

• Like 1

Just finished a day in the garden. Weather was dull early on but now gorgeous, better than the forecast. We are both now exhausted and having a glass of Apothic on the patio. I couldn’t resist taking this photo of one of the borders. When we bought the house 16 years ago we knew it was a doer upper, but not the extent. The owners told us lots of things that turned out not to be true, such as ‘my husband likes a shower so we built one upstairs while I prefer a bath’. The upstairs bathroom was Avocado, but the shower worked reasonably OK. I tried to have a bath but the water kept disappearing, there was a split in it so it couldn’t be used. They had refused to give us a forwarding address, everything subsequent to the exchange of contracts went through the estate agent. 

So many other things came to light over the first few months, now everything sorted and we have the home we wanted. The only thing we have left that ‘belonged to Mrs diirty Powell’ as I call her, is a beautiful azalea, this photo just taken.

7278ADC5-0C24-465A-944E-66D28731F3B2.jpeg

• Like 12

Azaleas gorgeous this year.   I have one in a tub, which up to now has had pink flowers - this year they are bright red.  Very strange.  My daughter says the soil must have been changed, presumably by the plant itself.  It has not been fed, only watered.  Anyone got an explanation?

Your garden looks lovely, Jennizor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Starting to look forward to our Celebrity cruise in July. We had a look at the MDR menu's. Available every day... escargot.yum, Yum. Come on P&O, they are not too hard to catch. Frogs legs on the other hand.....🤔

Snails ? No thanks I prefer fast food :classic_wink:

Question for you Zapp, If Popeye had liked escargot instead of spinach 

Would he be known as Popeye the Snailorman? :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Haha 12

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Azaleas gorgeous this year.   I have one in a tub, which up to now has had pink flowers - this year they are bright red.  Very strange.  My daughter says the soil must have been changed, presumably by the plant itself.  It has not been fed, only watered.  Anyone got an explanation?

Your garden looks lovely, Jennizor.

It is a good year for most acid lovers, our Azaleas, Rhodies and Camellias are having a great year. More likely to be the lack of frost and dryer conditions.

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Snails ? No thanks I prefer fast food :classic_wink:

Question for you Zapp, If Popeye had liked escargot instead of spinach 

Would he be known as Popeye the Snailorman? :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

Oh that is really bad Kalos. That is a 9 out of 10 on the groan scale!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

Just finished a day in the garden. Weather was dull early on but now gorgeous, better than the forecast. We are both now exhausted and having a glass of Apothic on the patio. I couldn’t resist taking this photo of one of the borders. When we bought the house 16 years ago we knew it was a doer upper, but not the extent. The owners told us lots of things that turned out not to be true, such as ‘my husband likes a shower so we built one upstairs while I prefer a bath’. The upstairs bathroom was Avocado, but the shower worked reasonably OK. I tried to have a bath but the water kept disappearing, there was a split in it so it couldn’t be used. They had refused to give us a forwarding address, everything subsequent to the exchange of contracts went through the estate agent. 

So many other things came to light over the first few months, now everything sorted and we have the home we wanted. The only thing we have left that ‘belonged to Mrs diirty Powell’ as I call her, is a beautiful azalea, this photo just taken.

7278ADC5-0C24-465A-944E-66D28731F3B2.jpeg

Looks fantastic, you have done a great job.

Our house was similar when we moved in.

When we viewed it there were rugs everywhere and it was rammed with furniture. No problem we thought. When we actually got the keys in the conservatory there was just a concrete floor, no skirting boards and a gap all around the edge. All sorted out relatively quickly though.

Hubby just started sorting out an area of the garden that’s needed doing seen as we are not going anywhere for a few days because of you know what.

Michelle

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

When we viewed it there were rugs everywhere and it was rammed with furniture. No problem we thought. When we actually got the keys in the conservatory there was just a concrete floor, no skirting boards and a gap all around the edge. All sorted out relatively quickly though.

Hubby just started sorting out an area of the garden that’s needed doing seen as we are not going anywhere for a few days because of you know what.

Michelle

Sorry to hear your news, take it easy and keep warm safe.

46 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Sorry to hear your news, take it easy and keep warm safe.

Thank you mercury7289. 

I am been monitored by a “virtual” ward at the hospital. I have to take my oxygen saturation levels every three hours and send them in via an app. They are ringing me every day to check on me. Pretty good service  I think

Michelle

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

This is Glenn selling his oatcakes through the hole in the wall. He used to make dinky ones for the kids as well, our daughter loved going there with her nan and grandad.

image.thumb.png.f3a121feb1d45c1f108df84378bae5d6.png

They were the best.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Thank you mercury7289. 

I am been monitored by a “virtual” ward at the hospital. I have to take my oxygen saturation levels every three hours and send them in via an app. They are ringing me every day to check on me. Pretty good service  I think

Michelle

Michelle,

the NHS are amazing. My husband has had several issues over the last couple of years. He had a femoral artery op, potential prostate cancer issue and ongoing heart problems following a heart attack 4 years ago. I have nothing but praise for them. I’m sure you feel the same.

Keep safe. Xx

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Michelle,

the NHS are amazing. My husband has had several issues over the last couple of years. He had a femoral artery op, potential prostate cancer issue and ongoing heart problems following a heart attack 4 years ago. I have nothing but praise for them. I’m sure you feel the same.

Keep safe. Xx

Sorry to hear all the issues your husband has had over the last couple of years but it’s good he has been looked after well. 
I have certainly needed the NHS over the years for various issues and I am very grateful to them for how they have helped me. 
Michelle

• Like 6

The app is clearly working for you which is great - as long as they don’t expect everyone to be able to use it! An uncle of mine recently had a knee replacement, no issue with the op. But the physio has been terrible. Just a telephone consultation which was difficult as he’s hard of hearing. The physio asked him to set up a system similar to Facetime which my uncle was unable to do, having no smart phone or reliable mobile signal. So basically no aftercare and really giving vague reasons when my cousin phoned to beg for something better. 

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Take care Michelle.

As my cruise on the 21st approaches I have a Boots repeat prescription to collect but don't want to do so before the day before embarkation LFT test in case I get infected collecting the prescription. Of course FAQ's don't give the answer and the pharmacy never answers the phone. Does anyone know how long will a made up prescription be held for collection in Boots?

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

As my cruise on the 21st approaches I have a Boots repeat prescription to collect but don't want to do so before the day before embarkation LFT test in case I get infected collecting the prescription. Of course FAQ's don't give the answer and the pharmacy never answers the phone. Does anyone know how long will a made up prescription be held for collection in Boots?

Couldn’t you get someone to collect on your behalf? They do delivery

https://www.boots.com/prescription-support/prescription-delivery-service

Edited by Snow Hill