P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

54 minutes ago, dunnster1965 said:

Mrs Dunnster and I had successfully avoided any infection until we stepped off Iona last Saturday. The very first thing we did was test positive and we locked ourselves away. After 5 days we retested and remained positive so we continue with our hermit-like existence and not feeling at all well. We really enjoyed the cruise although the after effects have rendered the benefit received negligible. Not sure what status I am about getting a booster as am a mere child of 56 yo 👶

Still, the amount of free time I have available means I can spend time reading this forum!

As I understand it, the over 50s are going to be offered an autumn booster as well as the flu vaccine.

Hoping you both feel better soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For information:

Boots are already taking bookings online for Autumn Flu jabs from September if anyone is interested.  We've booked for October on the grounds that we queued for an hour last year at our surgery where we usually have them but Boots is offering timed appointments and our local store has seating and a well managed waiting area.  At least it's in the diary now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dunnster1965 said:

Mrs Dunnster and I had successfully avoided any infection until we stepped off Iona last Saturday. The very first thing we did was test positive and we locked ourselves away. After 5 days we retested and remained positive so we continue with our hermit-like existence and not feeling at all well. We really enjoyed the cruise although the after effects have rendered the benefit received negligible. Not sure what status I am about getting a booster as am a mere child of 56 yo 👶

Still, the amount of free time I have available means I can spend time reading this forum!

We are the same, stayed safe and didn’t get the dreaded you know what until after we returned from Estepona. Fortunately we were both ok. 
Like you we are both pleased we will be getting a booster, we are mere children too but virtually grumpy teenagers now at 57 & 60.

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

As I understand it, the over 50s are going to be offered an autumn booster as well as the flu vaccine.

That means my wife will have had 4 booster jabs !

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

For information:

Boots are already taking bookings online for Autumn Flu jabs from September if anyone is interested.  We've booked for October on the grounds that we queued for an hour last year at our surgery where we usually have them but Boots is offering timed appointments and our local store has seating and a well managed waiting area.  At least it's in the diary now. 

My husband got an email from Boots to tell him that the flu jabs were available for booking, but when he looked, it appears that the branch we went to last year has no appointments to book. He's have to travel to an inconvenient location, so he'll probably wait to be called by the GP surgery. Not sure what I'll do, as this year I will have to pay for a jab, so I suppose I'll have to look at other pharmacies in the local area. 

I was pleased to see that the over 50's will now get an autumn Covid booster. At 62, I was feeling a bit insecure that it was originally limited to the over 65's 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My husband got an email from Boots to tell him that the flu jabs were available for booking, but when he looked, it appears that the branch we went to last year has no appointments to book. He's have to travel to an inconvenient location, so he'll probably wait to be called by the GP surgery. Not sure what I'll do, as this year I will have to pay for a jab, so I suppose I'll have to look at other pharmacies in the local area. 

I was pleased to see that the over 50's will now get an autumn Covid booster. At 62, I was feeling a bit insecure that it was originally limited to the over 65's 

That's a shame if you can't take advantage of your nearest store.  I did check out our local shops and can't believe how many days/slots are no longer available. Some days said 'not available' but if  I scrolled through quite a few dates I did find some days you could book.  Some stores did say not available full stop - looks as though your local is one of them.  Hope you get sorted out. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

That's a shame if you can't take advantage of your nearest store.  I did check out our local shops and can't believe how many days/slots are no longer available. Some days said 'not available' but if  I scrolled through quite a few dates I did find some days you could book.  Some stores did say not available full stop - looks as though your local is one of them.  Hope you get sorted out. 

Just booked a slot in Boots Medway for September

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Waju said:

Am I doing something wrong?  Boots want £16.99 for my flu jab 😲

I've just read the Boots information - I have to be 65 to get a free flu jab -  I'm 100% sure I didn't pay last year.

At 62 I don't pay for prescriptions so I'm very confused, but it doesn't take much 🤣

I had my flu jab at Boots last year and won't be repeating that experience. Despite registering online to make the appointment, I waited ages in store and then had to answer the same questions all over again.

The day after having the jab, I got an email informing me that I had not turned up for my appointment...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Waju said:

I've just read the Boots information - I have to be 65 to get a free flu jab -  I'm 100% sure I didn't pay last year.

At 62 I don't pay for prescriptions so I'm very confused, but it doesn't take much 🤣

I'm only 61 and have had free flu jabs the last two years. I don't have any medical conditions making me vulnerable and I'm not on any benefits. I also understood that over 50's will be offered free boosters and flu jabs this Autumn.

Maybe Boots are continuing to charge until they get confirmation from the NHS...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Waju said:

You can get a free NHS flu vaccine from a pharmacy if:

• you are 50 and over (including if you are 50 by 31 March 2022)

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/pharmacy/pharmacy-nhs-flu-vaccine-service

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

You can get a free NHS flu vaccine from a pharmacy if:

• you are 50 and over (including if you are 50 by 31 March 2022)

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/pharmacy/pharmacy-nhs-flu-vaccine-service

Thanks kalos, I've just read that too but Boots website says over 65.  I'll pop in on Monday and see what they say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

For the last two winters 50-64’s got a free flu jab. This year, it’s gone back to free flu jabs for over 65’s only, like it was in 2019 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I'm only 61 and have had free flu jabs the last two years. I don't have any medical conditions making me vulnerable and I'm not on any benefits. I also understood that over 50's will be offered free boosters and flu jabs this Autumn.

Maybe Boots are continuing to charge until they get confirmation from the NHS...

As above, I think Boots have it correct. 50-64’s got a free flu jab for the last 2 winters, but it’s now gone back to over 65’s only.  However, 50-64’s will get a Covid booster 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Yes I'm glad they they have lowered the age for boosters this autumn. We are going on a 4 week South America land/cruise tour in January and I was concerned that I would be going away 13 months after my last booster and haven't had a covid infection to date. Will book the free 50+ flu jab for early October 2+ weeks before our P&O eastern med cruise.

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think that’s last year’s guidance 

Press release

Over 50s to be offered COVID-19 booster and flu jab this autumn

Everyone aged 50 and over will be among those offered a COVID-19 booster and a flu jab this autumn under plans to increase protection against respiratory viruses ahead of winter.

UK Health Security Agency
Published
15 July 2022
Last updated
15 July 2022 

This is on Gov website which was updated yesterday so looks like flu vaccine will be offered to over 50s.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When you say Medway, do you mean Chatham or Rochester? Hempstead Valley don’t seem to be doing them this year, which is where my husband would prefer to go. 

Chatham, same as last year. Hempstead is nearer but only 30 mins on the bus to Chatham