P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

There is a small sweet shop that I occasionally call in ( usually just before a cruise ) to buy sweets for a journey and they still sell the old fashioned sweets like Uncle Joe 's mint balls, sherbet lemons, mint humbugs etc.  I love going in there because of memories that the smell evokes, I know that I can buy the sweets cheaper from the supermarkets but they don't remind me of my grandparents.

• Like 6

All those lovely sweets take me back to my childhood .In our village we had at least three 

shops that were packed with sweets and growing up I had my fair share .

Some were made reasonably local and if my Dad was doing transport for them he would 

buy (drivers perk ) from the factories. Places such as Bassets (the home of Bertie ) or 

Dixons mint rock who funnily enough made human logos for their goods as well.

As kids we had mates who's mothers worked  in Brittain's no1 nut factory or in the XL crisp

factory so we never went short there .

I think most will remember Bertie Basset but does anyone remember The King Of Rock ?

No not him ,this one ...😍

dixon-pitchfork-picture-sheffield.jpg.7880ea232c3dcb07ef1dff3624e19c91.jpg

• Like 3

Did your grandparents / parents ever make sweets for you?

My granny used to make the most amazing toffee apples at Halloween and trays of solid sugar candy.

I still make that and also puff candy (and candy by the way is a traditional Scottish word used for centuries which the Americans adopted).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

A really thick caramel coated in dark chocolate. You sucked them for ages.

Like these? Jamesons still make Merry Maid caramels it seems, and they’re apparently Nigel Slater’s favourite toffee.

I remember them mainly for the wrapper, which could be stretched with your finger to distort the face - early CGI I think!

image.png.d49a80d0fcda3dea3940a8c6a9c5c843.png

• Like 3

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Like these? Jamesons still make Merry Maid caramels it seems, and they’re apparently Nigel Slater’s favourite toffee.

I remember them mainly for the wrapper, which could be stretched with your finger to distort the face - early CGI I think!

image.png.d49a80d0fcda3dea3940a8c6a9c5c843.png

I do remember these but the ones we got came loose in the traditional jar and were sold by the quarter. 

I also remember them as being huge but then I was young and probably had a small mouth.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I do remember these but the ones we got came loose in the traditional jar and were sold by the quarter. 

I also remember them as being huge but then I was young and probably had a small mouth.

Buchanan's of Scotland Russian caramels have red wrappers,dark chocolate covered red caramels and are only available in jars.

IMG_20230125_141518.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

A nice first post to read this morning Jane. You're a lovely lady.

I'm pleased the vaping is going well, and you're allowed to give yourself a little pat on the back for every day that passes. You can tell after the first day if you're going to take to it, so the signs are good.

I'll report back to Frank, he asks if we've heard from you.😊

Happy 'tooting'. xx

Avril

Thanks so much Avril. Yes, every day is a step in the right direction but I'm very aware these are small steps on  a long journey. 

Please thank Frank again for me as his message, and yours, were instrumental in setting me on the right path. I'm tooting as we speak!

Best wishes always. Jane. Xxx

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did your grandparents / parents ever make sweets for you?

My granny used to make the most amazing toffee apples at Halloween and trays of solid sugar candy.

I still make that and also puff candy (and candy by the way is a traditional Scottish word used for centuries which the Americans adopted).

Scottish tablet - for those not in the know like fudge but better!  My mouth is watering and my teeth rotting just thinking about it!  My mother and grandmother’s version was delicious.

• Like 4

Just now, Ilovemygarden said:

Scottish tablet - for those not in the know like fudge but better!  My mouth is watering and my teeth rotting just thinking about it!  My mother and grandmother’s version was delicious.

Love it but yes it is very sweet. Builds the arm muscles making it.💪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, happy v said:

Is that the Queen?

2 hours ago, happy v said:

Is that the Queen?

Yes,Camilla,but the hoho driver said the King was coming for his proclomation for his coronation.I suppose she can stand in for him with all the required places in the land to do this,Brian.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Butter tablet is more crumbly than fudge.

IMG_20230125_222410.jpg

I'm trying to have a good day - just phoned our local Oxfam bookshop to donate about 50 or more mostly paperbacks I have bought over recent years, all in great condition, and by people like Lee Child, Ian Rankin and some of the women's novels,  not quite chick-lit, like Fern Britten.  I have been hoarding them and as I keep on buying, have run out of room.  It has made me feel more positive to make the decision, and they will be able to pick them up in a week or two.  It is a sort of spring cleaning, much needed.  And at present the sun is shining.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Just to brighten your day and hope you all have a good one 🙂

shop.jpg.ebf4aac969d99a94d281009819e5913b.jpg

That’s not my husbands name Kalos and he wouldn’t use profanity but otherwise……

I know the name for shoes in most languages and also “in the window” and “on sale”. When travelling abroad you need to prepare for the essentials.

Imelda Marcos was an amateur.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6