P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Posted (edited)

Good morning.

It is sunny and 8°C here.

I'm watching D Day celebrations on TV.

I hope everyone is feeling well and we all have a great day.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny and 8°C here.

I'm watching D Day celebrations on TV.

I hope everyone is feeling well and we all have a great day.

I’m watching too. Very moving.

I visited the beaches a few years ago when I went over to Normandy to visit my uncle’s war grave in Bayeux cemetery 😢. He was shot down at the age of 22 in 1943. Seeing all those graves that are so well tended, is very sobering…..

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

...........................                                        image.jpeg.5968f04747537679469ed8e6c74d8402.jpeg

6 June 1944

Edited by kalos
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I visited the beaches a few years ago when I went over to Normandy to visit my uncle’s war grave in Bayeux cemetery 😢. He was shot down at the age of 22 in 1943. Seeing all those graves that are so well tended, is very sobering…..

Pauline's late dad's brother escaped a prisoner of war camp and got back to England.

When he recovered he was sent to the D day landings.

He survived and died several years ago.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline's late dad's brother escaped a prisoner of war camp and got back to England.

When he recovered he was sent to the D day landings.

He survived and died several years ago.

Wow. That’s amazing…..so pleased to hear Pauline’s uncle survived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Wow. That’s amazing…..so pleased to hear Pauline’s uncle survived.

Thank you Gill.

Her uncle and lots of others were being marched between camps and as they approached a bend neither the guard at the front or the back could see all the prisoners and he and another person rolled down a hill and hid behind some bushes and the rest of the prisoners quickly filled the gap so the guards didn't know until they got back to the camp that 2 were missing.

Pauline is at the hairdresser's so I called and got a McDonald's sausage and egg mcmuffin meal after dropping her off.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Graham x

IMG_20240606_084339.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A sunny morning here, 11C.

Churchyard opposite now being mown following end of “No-mow May”, remarkable how quick the grass has grown many headstones had disappeared from view.

I was awoken at 6:30 by a neighbour with a modified Nissan GT which has a very loud exhaust 😡

Today, continue planting bedding plants finally remove the the remaining part of raised bed and prepare ground for veg plant, that means weed suppression and gravel. 

• Like 7

I am watching the D day celebrations too.  It is lovely to see the surviving veterans wearing their medals.  My dad was in Royal Navy and hated talking about the war because he was on a ship that was topedoed.  Dad told us that the only good thing that he recalled from the war was when he was picked up by another Royal Navy ship he was reunited with his 2 brothers.  His oldest brother Jack was serving on that ship and his younger brother Charlie had been picked up a few days earlier after his ship was torpedoed.

• Like 14

23 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We went out for a ruby last night to celebrate Mrs YP's birthday, we didn't go to bed yesterday after travelling all night as we felt it would mess up our sleep cycle, but we were fine. We had a cracking meal and a few glasses of Cobra beer to swill it down.

I did stay in bed till 08:30 by which time Mrs YP had two loads of washing on the line and a bag of garden waste. It was sunny and bright when I got up but we have just had a rain shower so all hands to get the washing in as it was nearly dry, don't you just hate that?

20240604_180048.jpg

20240604_182332.jpg

" Out for a ruby Phil " sounds like you have been spending time with too many Cockneys. I bet we won't find Brian dropping " oop north " slang.🤣

• Haha 7

20 hours ago, lincslady said:

Tell her from me that she does not have to be an old duffer, just accompanying one over 50, even if she is only 40.  And that is presumably your good self.  So there.

We feel we are too young for a SAGA holiday. We are 74/68.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You really aren't, zap; around 70 is possibly slightly  below the average, but there are lots of very active people at your ages on board always.  The 'new' ships are attracting a younger set of passengers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We feel we are too young for a SAGA holiday. We are 74/68.😂

Us too, we are only having a practice run for when we get old. When we booked one of the first questions was "Are you able to climb steep flights of stairs?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Me too ,very hard not to be moved by the sacrifices made by that generation ,

for us to live the lives we do today .

Never forget and learn from them and live in peace .

Thank you I will never forget . ae0ece58ef8cc8168924c6d5c7350fc7.jpg.35dd96b3b299ecdb777ab4c66a417de1.jpg

• Like 15

47 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Us too, we are only having a practice run for when we get old. When we booked one of the first questions was "Are you able to climb steep flights of stairs?"

An ageist question 🤣,  I am over 70 and have no problem climbing steep stairs, I do it most day when I go out for my walk because at one point the path that I am walking along ends and there is a flight of 20 steep concrete steps to get up to the road.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

You really aren't, zap; around 70 is possibly slightly  below the average, but there are lots of very active people at your ages on board always.  The 'new' ships are attracting a younger set of passengers.

Just back from our 2nd Saga cruise, fits the bill for us has we no longer wish to fly, at 78 and 74 we have another booked.

Never sailed P and O but reading some of the reviews Saga is much more to our taste especially the quality of the food.

When you consider what is included they are good value if you book early to get the best price

• Like 4

I can quite see the point of view of feeling too young for Saga - and remember feeling that way.  One good reason - and you may not be very old, just no longer feeling like flying/carrying your own luggage around etc. - is the door to door no need to carry luggage etc. aspect.  Ideal for anyone who for whatever reason does not walk well, or is a  solo woman finding it difficult to carry  luggage.  This can apply to people well under 70 of course.  And the included insurance is fairly forgiving of many medical conditions.  I guess you will know if any of this applies to you, and of course if you are hale and hearty at 74  or whatever you don't need to cruse with Saga.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I can quite see the point of view of feeling too young for Saga - and remember feeling that way.  One good reason - and you may not be very old, just no longer feeling like flying/carrying your own luggage around etc. - is the door to door no need to carry luggage etc. aspect.  Ideal for anyone who for whatever reason does not walk well, or is a  solo woman finding it difficult to carry  luggage.  This can apply to people well under 70 of course.  And the included insurance is fairly forgiving of many medical conditions.  I guess you will know if any of this applies to you, and of course if you are hale and hearty at 74  or whatever you don't need to cruse with Saga.

I just see Saga as another cruise line, the only reason we have not used them is that they are expensive and some of what they offer on sea cruises is not something we need/want as yet. However when we were looking at Douro cruises for next year Saga are well priced when compared to other lines, then as you say when taking into account what is built in they came out favourably, especially the door to door transfer. As we have our own yearly insurance we got £56 pp knocked off the cruise price. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning, where are the early risers today.  I was woken by the birds at just after 4am and gave up trying to go back to sleep so got up at 4:45 to do the housework, as DH says it is fortunate that we are detached.

It is a bit grey at the moment and only 12° but hopefully it will stay dry and warm up later.

Have a great day.

You seem to do an awful lot of housework Josy! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Just back from our 2nd Saga cruise, fits the bill for us has we no longer wish to fly, at 78 and 74 we have another booked.

Never sailed P and O but reading some of the reviews Saga is much more to our taste especially the quality of the food.

When you consider what is included they are good value if you book early to get the best price

I'm sure you are right. When we are old we may try one. So you have never sailed with P&O ??.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Never sailed P and O but reading some of the reviews Saga is much more to our taste especially the quality of the food.

If you've never sailed P&O, I respectfully ask how you can know what the food is like onboard?  I read reviews of all sorts of places but unless I've actually tried them myself I'm not exactly qualified to comment or judge on the offerings.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

You seem to do an awful lot of housework Josy! 

I hoover and polish everyday, it goes back to when we had a dog and a cat so it needed to be done because of the hair that they used to spread around. It is automatic now.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Hello folks. Hope you are all well. I’ll catch up on post once home in a few weeks.

I’m currently sitting on my balcony in the sunshine. This is the life.

🤢🤢🤢 Enjoy!

• Like 5