P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We got our renewal quote from the RAC... I'm not paying  that, up 25%....I went on a comparison site..RAC were still cheapest.

That was years ago Zapp🤣 They were history a long time ago.

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

do you have any tips on making a good crumble topping please?  

I do. 

4oz plain flour

3oz butter or a good quality margarine

1 - 2oz granulated sugar. I like to use Demerara for the extra 'crunch'.

You may need to make double quantity depending on th e size of the crumble.

Crumble flour and butter together gently then stir in the sugar. Cooking slowly is the key and I bake mine 160c fan oven  for 45 to 60 mins depending on the size of the crumble and filling used. 

I make up a large amount of crumble and freeze it. Then simply spoon the amount you need over your fruit and bake as normal.

Hope it turns out well.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Thinking of switching to Nationwide, but it would be just for the travel insurance, breakdown insurance not needed as my car has RAC cover included both U.K. & Europe as part of my service contract. Before I switch I would like to know what the additional medical cover costs would be, not found out how you can do that before switching.

There is a telephone number on the Nationwide web site, I phoned to enquire about additional costs before opening the flexplus account.

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

@Adawn47 do you have any tips on making a good crumble topping please?  

I use off the shelf crumble mix and crush half a dozen biscoff biscuits into it. Tastes great and gives the crumble mix substance, I will also crush pecans in if we have some.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I do. 

4oz plain flour

3oz butter or a good quality margarine

1 - 2oz granulated sugar. I like to use Demerara for the extra 'crunch'.

You may need to make double quantity depending on th e size of the crumble.

Crumble flour and butter together gently then stir in the sugar. Cooking slowly is the key and I bake mine 160c fan oven  for 45 to 60 mins depending on the size of the crumble and filling used. 

I make up a large amount of crumble and freeze it. Then simply spoon the amount you need over your fruit and bake as normal.

Hope it turns out well.

Avril

That’s what I shall follow exactly the next time. Off to print out now, where it will sit in my folder with along  Avril’s custard tart and Avril’s rice pudding recipes 👍. Thank you so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Sorry, don't get it.🤔

I was quoting splices post when he swapped insurance company and ended up with the same but under another name

Years ago we did the same but sill under the trade name Churchill who we were with at that time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I use off the shelf crumble mix and crush half a dozen biscoff biscuits into it. Tastes great and gives the crumble mix substance, I will also crush pecans in if we have some.

Bit harsh Phil.Those pecans can be as pesky as seagulls though.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yes but they taste nice

No worries Phil,it's my silly Sunday.Marilyn just got back from Sainsbury,I asked how do you make crumble.She said oh bummer I knew there was something,I forgot the apples for tonights crumble.We haven't had that for ages.

• Like 1

We picked up some apples from a “help yourself” box outside a house on our walk this morning.  Blackberries in the freezer from a previous walk.  Crumble incoming!  Archetypical English/British cuisine. 😋 

It’ll be tomorrow - we have strawberries that need eating today

• Like 5

Been foggy here in Edinburgh for days.   Caribbean Princess took one look at the weather and left - tendering at South Queensferry has its risks with the oil terminal and the bridges (ships have to take a tug hanging on to the back of them for the duration).   Viking Neptune anchored in the river for a while, but is now tendering from Newhaven.

Soup made and Burghley horse trials on the TV.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

We picked up some apples from a “help yourself” box outside a house on our walk this morning.  Blackberries in the freezer from a previous walk.  Crumble incoming!  Archetypical English/British cuisine. 😋 

It’ll be tomorrow - we have strawberries that need eating today

It must have been crumble Sunday today, I also made Blackberry and Apple crumble for lunch. My crumble mix is 3-2-1 flour fat sugar.

• Like 4

I like to get maximum use out of the rhubarb that I have out if my niece's garden.  It has deep red skin so I am keeping my stack soaking with ginger in gin for 2 weeks before straining the liquid into sterilised bottles. I will then use the rhubarb to make a crumble. 

The gin becomes a lovely red colour and tastes lovely with a nice tonic and the crumble is delicious with custard.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Been foggy here in Edinburgh for days.   Caribbean Princess took one look at the weather and left - tendering at South Queensferry has its risks with the oil terminal and the bridges (ships have to take a tug hanging on to the back of them for the duration).   Viking Neptune anchored in the river for a while, but is now tendering from Newhaven.

Soup made and Burghley horse trials on the TV.

Foggy mornings with a lot of haar. It burnt off yesterday to become really sunny by about 2 pm.

Its dull today but really hot.

• Like 5

Damp and miserable here, temps not too shabby though, we have 12/13oC forecast for next week so it will feel like autumn. We had a tootle to junction 32 this morning for a Costa coffee, I need to use the petrol before I trade the car in.

May be an image of 1 person, dog and text

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

It remained a dry but dull day down here, but mild as it's still 16c

I ended up making crumble for pudding too, using some apples to go with the raspberrys, served with custard. There's still some crumble left for tomorrow.

• Like 5

Crumble here too, blueberries, black cherries and a few mixed berries.  Nothing measured out, just guessed, with a small handful of oats for good measure..  It turned out fine. I sometimes use off the shelf ones  and they are fine too.

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 6

Morning got off to a good start this morning. Sausage, hashbrown,Tom's,egg,beans and toast with a nice cuppa tea 😋  All that talk of crumble making me hungry .

Hope you all have a tasty week Take care 🙂 

• Like 9

Another grey day with light rain this morning.  Road works are scheduled to start today for 3 days between our house and my niece's house so a diversion to pick up my niece for school and then the alternative route,which always has traffic queues, to get to the school so an  interesting week while the road works are in place.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning got off to a good start this morning. Sausage, hashbrown,Tom's,egg,beans and toast with a nice cuppa tea 😋  All that talk of crumble making me hungry .

Hope you all have a tasty week Take care 🙂 

Sounds lovely Kalos , I wish I could eat things like that but I’m on a low fibre diet at the moment and introducing quinoa, lentils, all colours of beans into my diet because of my digestive disorder and those foods are not to my liking 🤢

I also hope that you enjoyed your carvery yesterday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1