P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

41 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I picked my new automatic up this morning, after much deliberation I decided to stick with a petrol this time, and expect to go electric for my next car when the choices are better and prices more reasonable. After using my MiL auto for a few months it was clear an auto was the way to go for us.

Enjoy your new car Phi, auto is definitely the way to go and is exactly what we did when we bought our current car. Only wished we had gone auto earlier - it's so easy! 

Hope you have a great upcoming cruise - we are off on Britannia very soon, hoping to find some warmer weather! 

Best wishes to you both.

Sandra

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Hope you have a fantastic cruise and a good boarding day on Sunday, I’m the Same as your wife I don’t let my other half anywhere near the packing, I know exactly where everything goes and fits into little spaces and specific things to take like the kitchen sink 😂

Roads will be busy around Southampton on Sunday with 5 ships departing and the first weekend of the boat show.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

We are going on ships excursions in Madeira and Lisbon. We don't normally, but they were quite good value...30% seniors discount. We got 10% seniors discount on the cruise as well. We have Britannia booked for June, but feel a September RC coming on. Off to town today. As normal Bank, shops, coffee, Lunch. As its Friday, spoons may have the white table cloths out.😂

What is this seniors discount, and how does one go about receiving it?

28 minutes ago, Astrajet said:

Enjoy your new car Phi, auto is definitely the way to go and is exactly what we did when we bought our current car. Only wished we had gone auto earlier - it's so easy! 

Hope you have a great upcoming cruise - we are off on Britannia very soon, hoping to find some warmer weather! 

Best wishes to you both.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra, have a great cruise on Britannia. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I think that a lot of us would like to know this.  I have looked on the P&O Web site and couldn't see anything about it.

They are not travelling with P&O. 

56 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I’m the Same as your wife I don’t let my other half anywhere near the packing, I know exactly where everything goes

You tell em Purdy 😅🤣😉

image.jpeg.fe3b2ea8a5337bfc86a55e365fc57526.jpeg

Hope everyone off cruising has a great time 👍 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Grumpycruiser60plus said:

Good afternoon, hello Sarah H. If you like museums etc, would suggest a walk around Karlplatz/ central area, it has a wide choice of restaurant/ cards etc, where all the famous "places" are, but please do some research as it gets busy, with walking groups off the riverboats. Maybe either walk or take a team up to the Danube like we did, you can get a day pass Ticket very excellent value. Also as a must enjoy the coffee & cake choices. We have been here since Tues & still not seen enough. As mentioned earlier the locals are friendly & helpful ,plus we have felt very comfortable here, ( unlike London has turned into now) but I mustn't elaborate on that here.😇 enjoy your visit to Austria next year.

Thank you for that. Karlplatz sounds like a good starting point and I'll be sure to taste the cakes 😊

5 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Wiener schnitzel - one of my all time favourites.   Sad that it’s never seen here now.  

It's a long way from you but there's a couple of restaurants in London that do good Austrian food including Weiner Schnitzel, very nice!

49 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

This is the bit I am dreading the most - it's not quite up to airport apprehension, but it's getting there!

If driving to Sky Princess then best to come in from the North or East, not from the West where you would have to drive past the dock gate for City, Horizon and Mayflower ship terminals and the boat show.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I didn't know anything about it. I worked out how much it should cost.  When I booked it was about 10% cheaper and I didn't know why. The booking confirmation showed ' seniors discount ' flipping cheek but oh well .It appears that some cruises are eligible for the discount. I'll look into it next time I book one. When the excursions appeared, some showed 30% seniors discount. I don't know what cruises are eligible for the wrinkly rates, but we will be looking into it. We added our Captains club numbers when I booked, but at the moment it is a mystery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I picked my new automatic up this morning, after much deliberation I decided to stick with a petrol this time, and expect to go electric for my next car when the choices are better and prices more reasonable. After using my MiL auto for a few months it was clear an auto was the way to go for us.

We had a drive to J32 for coffee and cake so Mrs YP could have a drive in the new motor, it was lovely sitting out in the nice warm sun.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend and all those cruising including us have a great cruise.

Had an automatic hybrid for just over 18 months, my left knee no longer aches after a long journey (result of football injury in my late teens). The 70mpg I get on journeys makes my wallet happy. 

I am hoping to move to a full electric car next time, just need to get the power supply to our remote garage sorted or hope there is an improved solar charging solution with batteries in the next few years. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Salzburg

All the places associated with the Sound of Music are worth a look (OH danced through the Mirabelle gardens, very embarrassing!). The grave yard where they hide from the *** in the film is right in the centre and it’s actually tiny, they must have used a long ankle lens to show them hiding behind the monument. Worth watching the film before you go.

In the Main Street they have strict rules about signage so look of for (really) gold MacDonalds sign. The good burgers of Salzburg boycotted it until they changed the unholy yellow Golden Arches to the same colour and brown frontage as all the others in the street.

coffee and cake, everywhere you look wonderful coffee and cake

Mozarts birthplace worth a look.

The Catherdral is nice to see but it also offers regular music events and the acoustics are great. 

There are lots of tours on offer from Salzburg, everything from horse and carriage through walking tours.

There are lots of really good beer kellers offering indoor or outdoor seating, great beer and decent hearty food. They are much better priced than some of the restaurants in the city centre (which can be expensive) and have a great atmosphere.

In Vienna

The Schönbrunn Palace is well worth seeing however it is slightly out of the city centre so requires public transport or the HOHO. The tickets are timed so you have to be there exactly for your slot. In the grounds of the palace the coffee shop does the best apple struddle (mit zana) I have ever tasted.

The  opera House is worth a look, particularly if you watch the new year concerts

The  Sacher Hotel of course for sachertorte and hot chocolate.  Even if you don’t have time to wait in the queue to go in they have a sales area on the pavement so you can buy take away cake and tins of the chocolate for home. If you do get in visit the ladies toilets, very “historical”.

Right  in the middle of the city are the bronze statues of the Jews being made to clean the pavements on their knees. First time a statue has ever made me cry.

The whole city centre is worth just walking around, lots of pretty building, many museums wtc. Lots to do in 10 hours.

Thank you. I'm going to print off these suggestion from you and @Grumpycruiser60plus so that I don't lose them. Thank you both very much, I really appreciate it.

My husband and I went to Austria for our honeymoon many many years ago and did a day trip to Salzburg, and then we went back for 5 days in 2019 with 2 of our grown up children. My daughter Becca & I both really like The Sound of Music so did the tour and then went back and visited the places on our own in the next few days. Becca had taken screen shots from the film and then took photos of us in the same spot. We also skipped and danced through the Mirabelle gardens 🤣 and sang and jumped up and down the steps.

Salzburg feels like such a safe place to be, us girls wandered around happily on our own while hubbie & son visited the Red Bull place nearby. 

I intend to do intensive research on Salzburger Nockerls (the best dessert I've ever eaten) and try to decide which restaurant makes the best one 😊

IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7677.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I didn't know anything about it. I worked out how much it should cost.  When I booked it was about 10% cheaper and I didn't know why. The booking confirmation showed ' seniors discount ' flipping cheek but oh well .It appears that some cruises are eligible for the discount. I'll look into it next time I book one. When the excursions appeared, some showed 30% seniors discount. I don't know what cruises are eligible for the wrinkly rates, but we will be looking into it. We added our Captains club numbers when I booked, but at the moment it is a mystery.

On a P&O cruise?

40 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

How are your eyes Brian?

Pretty good thanks,I have a crescent moon of blood on top of my eyeball,but par for the course,nothing like Graham,s photo a while back.Looked like he'd been clumped by Mike Tyson,lol.10 more days of steroid drops 4 times a day.Boots said no more driving glasses and just weaker reading glasses when I go back for another test,cheers,Brian.

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Pretty good thanks,I have a crescent moon of blood on top of my eyeball,but par for the course,nothing like Graham,s photo a while back.Looked like he'd been clumped by Mike Tyson,lol.10 more days of steroid drops 4 times a day.Boots said no more driving glasses and just weaker reading glasses when I go back for another test,cheers,Brian.

Excellent, glad to hear it’s going well.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I had an Epiretinal membrane removed as well as a cataract removed and why I was in hospital all day in this photo.

My second cataract surgery was done as an outpatient.

IMG_20210203_145744.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I had an Epiretinal membrane removed as well as a cataract removed and why I was in hospital all day in this photo.

My second cataract surgery was done as an outpatient.

IMG_20210203_145744.jpg

Cheers mate didn't mean to sound flippant.My 1st eye had no visible signs of injury whatsoever.This one is healing just the same though.Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers mate didn't mean to sound flippant.My 1st eye had no visible signs of injury whatsoever.This one is healing just the same though.Brian.

No problem at all Brian.

I am delighted with my cataract results and really pleased that everything went well for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Used shuttle once in over 20 visits. Found walk down to centre much harder than along the sea front. Depends which part you want to visit, I suppose. 

When your mobility is limited, every little helps, mentally and physically. I confess that I gave the issue little thought before my father’s walking began to suffer. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Hope you have a fantastic cruise and a good boarding day on Sunday, I’m the Same as your wife I don’t let my other half anywhere near the packing, I know exactly where everything goes and fits into little spaces and specific things to take like the kitchen sink 😂

My husband has always done his own packing. So if he forgets something, it’s his own fault! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Cards scanned both ways for every shuttle bus we took on the Aurora 26 August Baltic cruise.  This was extremely port intensive with three overnights. I believe only Aarhus did not have a shuttle - we did not get off in Skagen as I was unwell but I'm sure I read of one.

The last time we visited Skagen there was no need for a shuttle as you could see right up the main street from the ships berth...about 200yds!.