P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Another fan of crime stories here. Have read most of Agatha Christie's but my favourite has to be Miss Marple. I can read those over and over again and even have the BBC version of them with Joan Hickson. Nothing like reading The Caribbean Mystery when you are on holiday with a cocktail in  hand. Brilliant. Also love to read Midsummer Murders (even though I've watched them on the telly) and last year read the Prime Suspect books at someone's recommendation. They were good too.

Love to watch Sci - Fi though - Star Trek, Stargate etc etc, but funnily enough never want to read any of the books.

Like some of you others Harry Potter has never appealed to me at all.

Now don't shoot me, but I also like to read Jeremy Clarkson's books 😉

I can highly recommend reading death on the Nile, whilst meandering down the Nile on a cruise. Never bothered reading the Poseidon adventure on a cruise though.🤔

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I can highly recommend reading death on the Nile, whilst meandering down the Nile on a cruise. Never bothered reading the Poseidon adventure on a cruise though.🤔

Have read Death on the Nile in Cyprus - as close as we could get 🙂 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I don't know why he is cast to play anyone at all to be honest. For some reason I really do not like him at all, he is just soooooooo annoying. Must be like marmite as some people love him 😉

He's too short, he's too weedy-looking, he's belongs to a strange religion, and he's very fond of himself.  Apart from that he's ok I suppose.  I always thought Tom Hardy would have been good in the Jack Reacher role - but word on the street is that he might be the new 007. 

Back to the books:  Peter James is a pretty good crime writer.  His Roy Grace (Det. Inspector) series is up to about book 9 now I think - set in Brighton and definitely worth a try. 

Jane.x  

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

He's too short, he's too weedy-looking, he's belongs to a strange religion, and he's very fond of himself.  Apart from that he's ok I suppose.  I always thought Tom Hardy would have been good in the Jack Reacher role - but word on the street is that he might be the new 007. 

Back to the books:  Peter James is a pretty good crime writer.  His Roy Grace (Det. Inspector) series is up to about book 9 now I think - set in Brighton and definitely worth a try. 

Jane.x  

Hi thanks for that, will give one a go. 🙂

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Another fan of crime stories here. Have read most of Agatha Christie's but my favourite has to be Miss Marple. I can read those over and over again and even have the BBC version of them with Joan Hickson. Nothing like reading The Caribbean Mystery when you are on holiday with a cocktail in  hand. Brilliant. Also love to read Midsummer Murders (even though I've watched them on the telly) and last year read the Prime Suspect books at someone's recommendation. They were good too.

Love to watch Sci - Fi though - Star Trek, Stargate etc etc, but funnily enough never want to read any of the books.

Like some of you others Harry Potter has never appealed to me at all.

Now don't shoot me, but I also like to read Jeremy Clarkson's books 😉

Have you ever been to Agatha Christie’s house near Dartmouth? Owned by the NT now and is in a gorgeous setting high above the river. We went a couple of years ago. The next day we took a boat trip up the river and saw the house from the river. It was featured on Julia Bradbury’s walking programme last night.

Just now, P&O SUE said:

Have you ever been to Agatha Christie’s house near Dartmouth? Owned by the NT now and is in a gorgeous setting high above the river. We went a couple of years ago. The next day we took a boat trip up the river and saw the house from the river. It was featured on Julia Bradbury’s walking programme last night.

Oh no, not heard of that one. We have been to a house near to Torquay that had some of her stuff in many years ago. Will keep a look out for that when we can next holiday that way. Love Dartmouth - used to get the train and ferry from Paignton when on holiday 🙂

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Oh no, not heard of that one. We have been to a house near to Torquay that had some of her stuff in many years ago. Will keep a look out for that when we can next holiday that way. Love Dartmouth - used to get the train and ferry from Paignton when on holiday 🙂

Yes we did that we were staying just outside Paignton, loved the stream train!

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Jane.x  

Ooo you have hit the nail on the head. I am a massive Peter James fan, Roy Grace is up to book 16 so you have some catching up to do, book 17 should be out this year. Any of you who have not read them add them to your list of must reads 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

The books are quite good. I met a local business man who was mentioned in the Credits. He said the research was faultless. Very true to the area.

That's interesting Zap. I don't know Brighton particularly well but felt I knew the area much better after I'd read Roy Grace. Very descriptive. J.x

• Like 1

My neighbour's had xrays done on her ankle, wrist and elbow, She has a small break in her elbow, but they don't want to pot it as it will restrict her mobility. She's back home now and her daughter's with her.

My friend is also back home, got back at 3.30pm. I had thought she would be able to go to her sons as she is still weak and unsteady on her legs, but the hospital have said she has to go to her own home alone and isolate for 7 days as she still testing positive for Covid. They've given her a walking frame to help, but how is she supposed to get a cuppa or anything? but her DIL has said they'll work something out.

I met Frank when I was 15 and he was and older man at 17😉I had a curfew on weeknights and had to be home for 10pm. We'd been to the pictures and I'd missed my bus, so Frank walked me home. We were saying goodnight and dad came flying out  of the house shouting. Instead of opening the gate Frank jumped over the fence. I think dad might have been angry because I said I was going out with my friends😁So that's the tale of dad chasing Frank, and we still laugh about it now.

Avril

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Ooo you have hit the nail on the head. I am a massive Peter James fan, Roy Grace is up to book 16 so you have some catching up to do, book 17 should be out this year. Any of you who have not read them add them to your list of must reads 😁

Really? I didn't realise I was that far behind. I thought I was reading too many murder books so I've had a break with Hilary Mantel and Lucinda Riley. Glad I've found another PJ fan Rupert and it's back to DI Grace now for a catch up. J.x

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

My neighbour's had xrays done on her ankle, wrist and elbow, She has a small break in her elbow, but they don't want to pot it as it will restrict her mobility. She's back home now and her daughter's with her.

My friend is also back home, got back at 3.30pm. I had thought she would be able to go to her sons as she is still weak and unsteady on her legs, but the hospital have said she has to go to her own home alone and isolate for 7 days as she still testing positive for Covid. They've given her a walking frame to help, but how is she supposed to get a cuppa or anything? but her DIL has said they'll work something out.

I met Frank when I was 15 and he was and older man at 17😉I had a curfew on weeknights and had to be home for 10pm. We'd been to the pictures and I'd missed my bus, so Frank walked me home. We were saying goodnight and dad came flying out  of the house shouting. Instead of opening the gate Frank jumped over the fence. I think dad might have been angry because I said I was going out with my friends😁So that's the tale of dad chasing Frank, and we still laugh about it now.

Avril

What a lovely story Avril. All those years together and you can still have a laugh about your dad racing out - and Frank can still jump the fence. Very impressive! 

I'm so glad your friend is in a better place, and that your poor neighbour is home. Thank goodness there's a daughter and a DIL around to help. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 2

We have decided to stop waiting for our late June and July cruises to be cancelled, but assume they probably will be eventually and get on with the much more interesting occupation of looking for somewhere to book at that time of year (late June/early July) on a "can cancel" basis, so probably a hotel holiday, perhaps in a few different locations.

Thinking it would be nice to go north at that time of year, perhaps the North East and/or Scotland as we do not want to go to very touristy areas which could well get over crowded this year.  Any suggestions of bases which are in an interesting area, preferably with indoor options as well in case the weather does not play game?  We have National Trust membership (which I think covers NT Scotland entries as well) and in our first year of English Heritage membership, which does not cover Scotland as yet.  We would love to return to the very north of Scotland were we had a couple of brilliant holidays in the early 1970's, but not sure if that may be a bit too much of a risk this year in case restrictions suddenly change.  We also realise that school holidays will have started in Scotland by that time, which may not help. 

Edited by tring

33 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Really? I didn't realise I was that far behind. I thought I was reading too many murder books so I've had a break with Hilary Mantel and Lucinda Riley. Glad I've found another PJ fan Rupert and it's back to DI Grace now for a catch up. J.x

I'm not a great reader of murder books, but have been reading Lucinda Riley books. Have you been reading the Seven Sisters? 

2 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I'm not a great reader of murder books, but have been reading Lucinda Riley books. Have you been reading the Seven Sisters? 

I’ve read some of the Seven Sisters books.

I’m up to about 4 or 5.

I normally read one on a cruise, but as I haven’t cruised for a while I haven’t progressed.

I will definitely read until the end though....... is Pa Salt really dead.... 

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Fascinating house Sue and amazing views from the garden.

0309 Greenway House - Devon 2017.JPG

0331 Dittisham to Greenway Ferry - Devon 2017.JPG

0349 Looking up the Dart River Greenway House - Devon 2017.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve read some of the Seven Sisters books.

I’m up to about 4 or 5.

I normally read one on a cruise, but as I haven’t cruised for a while I haven’t progressed.

I will definitely read until the end though....... is Pa Salt really dead.... 

Do not know. I have read the first four and have five and six waiting. The last one is due out book 7 "The Missing Sister" is due out in May.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Pauline was 16 and I was 22 when we met.

The first time I saw Pauline's dad I had a long coat on my late mam bought me which Pauline thought was old fashioned so I didn't wear it again.

Paulines dad said to Pauline later

That's a nice coat he was wearing he seems a nice guy.😇🤓

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Pleased your friend is home Avril and hope her covid19 is mild.

I'm a little surprised they let her go home though when she has no one to look after her.

Hopefully her DIL can take care of her.

Graham.

• Like 1