P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 hours ago, Beckett said:

I love that programme Sue. Like you, I often cry - this week especially. Yes, the collection of clothes for the refugees was heart-warming. I love the "togetherness" of the whole team and the way they are all aware of their colleagues' needs and feelings. It doesn't half put life into perspective. At my surgery, we have a paramedic on secondment for a year and he is cut from the same cloth - kind, empathetic, and so caring. Have a good Sunday. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thank you Jane, I’ve been trying to reply all afternoon, the forum finally went funny for me! I’ve been trying to like and reply to posts to no avail! 

By lunchtime the sun finally broke through and I had a nice sit and read in the garden!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Morning all.

I don't want upset you Sue, but the weather is beautiful in my small corner of the universe this morning. A typical autumn morning, a little cool first thing, but now the sun is up and it looks as though a bright, pleasant day is in the offing at long last. 

I've had a very 'fruitful' morning so far, picked, blanched and frozen some more beans, picked some pears that were ready and some apples and blackberries for a pie for tonights dessert. It's amazing how the weather lifts my mood.

Have an enjoyable day everyone whatever you have planned.

Stay safe and take care.

Avril

You’re ok Avril, the sun finally came through! I was getting fed up of the weather forecasters saying how lovely it was and our little corner was missing out!

My son and his family have just been to South Wales for the weekend and they had lovely weather the whole time so I’m pleased for them.

• Like 1

Been dull and foggy today, couldn't see St. Michael's Mount when I did a quick trip to Penzance for a click and collect order this morning and headed straight back so didn't get caught up in any road closures with the Tour of Britain cycle race starting down here.  

With regards charities there are a few that I give to. Cancer Research, as a large proportion of my family have died of the disease  and I donated my tumour to the Brain Tumour Trust for scientific research and support them with donations. Without them I may not be be here,.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

We must have been lucky I went on a waiting list for John Lewis garden furniture in April. I receive a email one evening that it was back in stock.

I ordered it straight away  and it was out of stock the next day, it was delivered a few days later.

I looked it up when I bought it it was pre-order 12 weeks, then further email will be further 8 weeks as some stock damaged on arrival finally arrived about 3 weeks ago. BUT every cloud as they say I have managed to plant the garden beds, well almost 1 to go, while waiting when I suspect I may have been in the chair instead if the furniture had been here. Its all ready for me today once the sun appears.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:54 PM, ccpm said:

My question is - is it only our generation that does this? I am 67. My niece and nephew will both do things like run a 5K etc but see those monies (not the fuel allowance) as for them. Obviously thats now and still means they are "donating" but will it cover giving in their future? Just curious

We used to gift aid a lot of money on a monthly basis to various charities but then I was made redundant so we had to cut out most of them. On top of that my redundancy was capped at 20 years (instead of 34) and it took over 2 years for me to get another job so a lot of my savings disappeared during that unemployed period. In the past I could have retired by now but my main pension was changed from final salary to "career average" which has made a dramatic change to my future income (e.g. my starting salary, which counts towards the career average, was £3384 p.a. back in the 80's). I'm happily re-employed now but charity donations are just going to have to be a lot more modest for us.

As for future generations (including our son) never mind charitable donations, I don't know how the majority are going to get on in life in general with things such as getting on the property ladder cosidering rising house prices compared to most salaries which are static or even lower than previous. When I was job seeking I was shocked at some of the long lists of responsibilities being quoted on job adverts compared to the salaries being offered. The last full time job I was rejected for was offering £18,000 p.a. and it is definitely an employer's market right now. As such, I think for most young people in average or low pay jobs, charitable donations will just be an occasional thing rather than a regular outgoing.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, DamianG said:

We used to gift aid a lot of money on a monthly basis to various charities but then I was made redundant so we had to cut out most of them. On top of that my redundancy was capped at 20 years (instead of 34) and it took over 2 years for me to get another job so a lot of my savings disappeared during that unemployed period. In the past I could have retired by now but my main pension was changed from final salary to "career average" which has made a dramatic change to my future income (e.g. my starting salary, which counts towards the career average, was £3384 p.a. back in the 80's). I'm happily re-employed now but charity donations are just going to have to be a lot more modest for us.

As for future generations (including our son) never mind charitable donations, I don't know how the majority are going to get on in life in general with things such as getting on the property ladder cosidering rising house prices compared to most salaries which are static or even lower than previous. When I was job seeking I was shocked at some of the long lists of responsibilities being quoted on job adverts compared to the salaries being offered. The last full time job I was rejected for was offering £18,000 p.a. and it is definitely an employer's market right now. As such, I think for most young people in average or low pay jobs, charitable donations will just be an occasional thing rather than a regular outgoing.

I also think it is harder for younger people nowadays particularly with the price of houses.There also seems to be a greater divide between those who are very well paid and those who earn less which I think is a shame.I do think though that nowadays a lot of hotels and even shops etc have a 'donate to charity' box at the online checkout and as the amount is often something like 50p hopefully quite a few people do.Even if only a tenth of people donate that amount it soon mounts up.I was quite surprised to speak to someone I know who regularly does this even though she often states she doesn't give to charity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

and it is definitely an employer's market right now.

I'm not so sure about that. There are severe staff shortages in the hospitality sector, the hgv driver shortage is well documented, and round here cabbage pickers are being offered £20 an hour! 

• Like 2

Gardening question. Attached are a couple of photos I have just taken in the garden. Overnight something has eaten all the flower heads from my geraniums. Nothing else eaten and no other plants touched. We back onto a wood and farmland and we see cows, deer, foxes, squirrels, rabbits and the occasional hare. What animal would be so choosy to just eat geranium flowers?

549AB84A-40E7-486D-9504-AC9BA1720EAA.thumb.jpeg.0bbeed821b8a299d7a6989cddb2548dc.jpeg4E883899-0288-488B-ADF6-6A6474364D64.thumb.jpeg.67911a001ee2c2c26fb5433c1ae0ef10.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Gardening question. Attached are a couple of photos I have just taken in the garden. Overnight something has eaten all the flower heads from my geraniums. Nothing else eaten and no other plants touched. We back onto a wood and farmland and we see cows, deer, foxes, squirrels, rabbits and the occasional hare. What animal would be so choosy to just eat geranium flowers?

549AB84A-40E7-486D-9504-AC9BA1720EAA.thumb.jpeg.0bbeed821b8a299d7a6989cddb2548dc.jpeg4E883899-0288-488B-ADF6-6A6474364D64.thumb.jpeg.67911a001ee2c2c26fb5433c1ae0ef10.jpeg

Not my field, but my gardener wife suggests Geranium Budworm or Muntjac deer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

Hiya , does anyone know why I just started a new thread but it’s not showing up. I clicked again and was then worried it would post twice, but alas hasn’t posted at all. 

I tried to start one earlier too and had the same issue. Never tried starting one before so just assumed I was doing it wrong.

Good afternoon everyone.

It is 70°F and sunny here.

I have just got home after 5 hours doing sales calls.

Hardly anyone was wearing a mask in the convenience stores I called on so I am in no hurry to do any more calls anytime soon.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

• Like 3

Yesterday we had tickets for Mamma Mia in London,  we thought about it but decided to go.  We had a box so didn't mix in the theatre. (cheaper than the stalls, and we love it!)

We started off with a champagne brunch which was lovely.

As it was a girly day out my lovely son in law drove us all to London.  He had his .pushbike strapped on the back of the car and had a ride round London, and was waiting for us when we came out. No stress from travelling at all.

What an audience, even though it was a matinee,  they brought the house down.   It was fantastic..

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Yesterday we had tickets for Mamma Mia in London,  we thought about it but decided to go.  We had a box so didn't mix in the theatre. (cheaper than the stalls, and we love it!)

We started off with a champagne brunch which was lovely.

As it was a girly day out my lovely son in law drove us all to London.  He had his .pushbike strapped on the back of the car and had a ride round London, and was waiting for us when we came out. No stress from travelling at all.

What an audience, even though it was a matinee,  they brought the house down.   It was fantastic..

One of my favourite shows of all time. Love all the songs, they never seem to age. 
We are going to see Mama Mia The Party at the O2 arena in April 2022. We went before in October 2019, it was the best night out ever and so different from anything else.

There are a number of videos that are worth watching on the usual site

Take care everyone 

Michelle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tim2go said:

I tried to start one earlier too and had the same issue. Never tried starting one before so just assumed I was doing it wrong.

it normally just shows straight away.

Perhaps someone might be able to throw some light on this problem. 

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

Hiya , does anyone know why I just started a new thread but it’s not showing up. I clicked again and was then worried it would post twice, but alas hasn’t posted at all. 

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

No idea but yesterday I wrote a reply about three  times (it never did post) and gave up in the end! Gremlins are about I think!

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not my field, but my gardener wife suggests Geranium Budworm or Muntjac deer.

Thank your wife for me Harry.  I don’t think it is Budworm as they tend to lay their eggs on the plant. These are sharp cuts that look like a bite. We have decided it must be a red deer. Here’s a photo of one last year in my next door neighbour’s garden. 

F4F5AA03-671A-4EFB-A21F-75A84BC511B7.thumb.jpeg.6e5c8a557b7110a4e74bdda5d7d7d41f.jpeg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

No idea but yesterday I wrote a reply about three  times (it never did post) and gave up in the end! Gremlins are about I think!

I think there are currently issues for people using iPad / iPhone

According to the help forum they are tinkering to see if they can sort out the being logging out issue, but seem to have broken something else.

For the past few days I have had intermittent problems on my iPad - I can't see my notifications, I can't like posts and I can't post anything without it wanting to quote the whole thread.  There is a workaround that helps for a while - you can clear safari cookies for the cruise critic website.  I've done that twice, but the problem keeps coming back, so getting fed up now

I'm on my laptop at the moment, and it's fine 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think there are currently issues for people using iPad / iPhone

According to the help forum they are tinkering to see if they can sort out the being logging out issue, but seem to have broken something else.

For the past few days I have had intermittent problems on my iPad - I can't see my notifications, I can't like posts and I can't post anything without it wanting to quote the whole thread.  There is a workaround that helps for a while - you can clear safari cookies for the cruise critic website.  I've done that twice, but the problem keeps coming back, so getting fed up now

I'm on my laptop at the moment, and it's fine 

Much the same here - iPad issues, but fine on other devices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm not so sure about that. There are severe staff shortages in the hospitality sector, the hgv driver shortage is well documented, and round here cabbage pickers are being offered £20 an hour! 

WHAT THE! They'll all be up the Savoy tonight.

• Haha 1