Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

She was a wonderful woman who absolutely fulfilled the promise she made at her coronation to do her utmost for our country. I remember the coronation as a child and saw her close up when she came to open the Humber Bridge - my daughter was a member of the Brownie guard of honour when she got off the train at our village. Somehow I, and I think many others, thought she would go on forever. 

• Like 14

I was saddened to hear the news today.   Back in 1976, I worked for a short time in New York City, and I remember during a lunch break I was crossing Park Avenue which is very wide with a center island.  It was often not possible to get completely across in one go, so I was standing on the island waiting for the next light change when suddenly an open limousine with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip came up and turned the corner.  I believe they were heading to a lunch at the Waldorf Astoria hotel.  What a thrilling sight!  I had been fascinated by the Queen since I was a young girl.  She was truly an inspiration to so many with her dedication and service.  

• Like 6

Here in the UK our flags are being flown at half-mast and bells have been tolled in respect for the late HM Queen Elizabeth II.  Tributes have poured in and we are in mourning.  Although the late Queen had been looking frail, most of us were not ready for her sudden passing yesterday.  She was a constant throughout most of our lives and we have known no other monarch.  We are to hear from the new King Charles III later today and there will be a State Funeral in about 10 days.  Meanwhile many events have been cancelled and we are in a sombre frame of mind.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kimbasmum said:

Here in the UK our flags are being flown at half-mast and bells have been tolled in respect for the late HM Queen Elizabeth II.  Tributes have poured in and we are in mourning.  Although the late Queen had been looking frail, most of us were not ready for her sudden passing yesterday.  She was a constant throughout most of our lives and we have known no other monarch.  We are to hear from the new King Charles III later today and there will be a State Funeral in about 10 days.  Meanwhile many events have been cancelled and we are in a sombre frame of mind.

Same here in Canada.  And yes, shocking it happened so fast, but good for her, good way to go.  I think she just decided she was done.  Waiting for King Charles's speech.  Apparently he had the choice of being called George, Philip, Arthur.  I think King Arthur would have been pretty neat, myself.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Same here in Canada.  And yes, shocking it happened so fast, but good for her, good way to go.  I think she just decided she was done.  Waiting for King Charles's speech.  Apparently he had the choice of being called George, Philip, Arthur.  I think King Arthur would have been pretty neat, myself.

The question is will he emulate Charles I, whose life ended during an appointment with the axeman, or the rather more laddish Charles Ii, who also had a Royal mistress, or three?

I recall that the first time I heard of BOAC (now BA) was the flight chartered to bring the film of Elizabeth’s coronation promptly to Canada so that our neighbours could gather in our living room and watch the ceremonies on a grainy, black & white TV.

As some have pointed out, during her reign Elizabeth II had to adjust to a rapidly changing media landscape, much more intrusive than in 1953, and culminating with the highly popular series on Netflix.

Can't say I'm feeling sombre like another poster. She was 96 and thus was due to die any day, albeit there was much less warning on the precise timing than is usual with very old people. I would personally take her death for myself; doing the things she wanted until the very, very end, clearly still with good mental faculty, a very quick death at a very ripe age and in the place she loved with her closest children with her. That's about the best anyone could hope for.

I hope we don't get too maudlin in the UK. We are prone to over emoting (Diana for example) and I feel it should be possible for those who want to grieve to be allowed to do so without curtailing those who don't. Life should go on as normal. The queen was an admirable lady and also a stoic. So should we be.

• Like 3

We went and laid some flowers from our garden at the Palace of Holyrood yesterday. 

It was a lovely day and a beautiful experience.  Not maudlin, everyone was reflecting and chatting sharing their memories.  The little children bringing handmade cards were delightful.  The police and palace staff directing everyone were so nice.

I’m glad we went.  We would have liked to go and see the cortège as it drives to Edinburgh today but logistics just will not work.  I think as she drives through Scotland there will be crowds every step of the way.

A88C72CC-DDE2-4D86-97CD-788B07DC578C.jpeg

0D3BA1EC-7CA6-4790-9552-F9AD2A1D68F7.jpeg

208B8D15-16F5-4A94-9B92-F0A777C69029.jpeg

C4A40964-9CD0-41D0-ADEC-058C1FA5B4F1.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I might go and watch the cortege pass at the bottom of our road but it's hard to judge the timings. We planted a tree for the 'Queen's Green Canopy' as a more lasting memorial. 

Getting used to a King is a main topic in shops and out and about.

Today we are due to have our family silver wedding tea (we will be on Azamara on the actual day) just us sons and grandchildren but it’s now a logistical nightmare.  2 Sons who rely on buses stuck one side, son 3 now a maybe as grand daughter back up the hospital yesterday (sadly something we live with) so we will not manage to also go out today but might think about Tuesday afternoon. 
Fingers crossed our neighbour who is on stand by is able to get our first all family picture and we are not eating a replica cake on our own 😂😂

• Like 4

11 hours ago, uktog said:

Today we are due to have our family silver wedding tea (we will be on Azamara on the actual day) just us sons and grandchildren but it’s now a logistical nightmare.  2 Sons who rely on buses stuck one side, son 3 now a maybe as grand daughter back up the hospital yesterday (sadly something we live with) so we will not manage to also go out today but might think about Tuesday afternoon. 
Fingers crossed our neighbour who is on stand by is able to get our first all family picture and we are not eating a replica cake on our own 😂😂

Fingers crossed for you for Tuesday!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, uktog said:

Best Wishes on your anniversary.  Our 50th was at home w/o family due to Covid. We celebrated 52nd with family on a cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6E767555-5650-400E-B435-C79ACA559A79.thumb.jpeg.999702f65093e6665b5860894e6b82aa.jpeg

We too have just returned from seeing the cortege.  

We went to what we thought would be a quieter spot - it was an amazing experience - it was reckoned there were well over 1500 people in this small road leading to the back of the airport.  Here are the crowds a few minutes before hand.  I did not take photos of the cortege, it felt wrong.  

Princess Anne and her husband were in the car behind.  Princess Anne looked very strained and tired.  She has been by her mother on all her journey since Balmoral

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just having a couple of nights in the Yorkshire Dales, staying at Leyburn. We went for a walk this afternoon towards The Shawl - a limestone escarpment overlooking Wensleydale with glorious views.

8FED4C16-C75B-4307-9906-6B0C04208587.thumb.jpeg.b9723a5df73f7555207c625c54344103.jpeg

042472CD-3B64-4DD8-B6C0-61BD55DD4CE7.thumb.jpeg.a2f1b0498796319c4126183111f67f1a.jpeg

Leyburn is a lovely little market town. We were delighted to see that the local council are using this lovely old building as the local library.

666BC69D-1017-4665-8B3A-A12D6004BF76.thumb.jpeg.998419906e4501fd9054b2d54cfbd0fd.jpeg

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Just having a couple of nights in the Yorkshire Dales, staying at Leyburn. We went for a walk this afternoon towards The Shawl - a limestone escarpment overlooking Wensleydale with glorious views.

8FED4C16-C75B-4307-9906-6B0C04208587.thumb.jpeg.b9723a5df73f7555207c625c54344103.jpeg

042472CD-3B64-4DD8-B6C0-61BD55DD4CE7.thumb.jpeg.a2f1b0498796319c4126183111f67f1a.jpeg

Leyburn is a lovely little market town. We were delighted to see that the local council are using this lovely old building as the local library.

666BC69D-1017-4665-8B3A-A12D6004BF76.thumb.jpeg.998419906e4501fd9054b2d54cfbd0fd.jpeg

I am certain that when we are visiting Yorkshire that will be exactly the weather we will be enjoying. Gorgeous scenery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, nordski said:

I am certain that when we are visiting Yorkshire that will be exactly the weather we will be enjoying. Gorgeous scenery.

We visited the Lake District in July and were lucky in the weather. Here's a picture taken while hiking Loughrigg Fell. Wish we could be there now though it's lovely in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe, Nevada where we live. The mtns above us just got the first snowfall of the season and Northern California received much needed rain. 

IMG_9223.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, neverseasick said:

We visited the Lake District in July and were lucky in the weather. Here's a picture taken while hiking Loughrigg Fell. Wish we could be there now though it's lovely in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe, Nevada where we live. The mtns above us just got the first snowfall of the season and Northern California received much needed rain. 

IMG_9223.jpg

Lovely area where you live. We stayed overnight there on a drive over several days, through much of California and Nevada on our first visit to USA back in 1991.

• Like 1