Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

1 hour ago, nordski said:

I am hearing that England, Wales, and Southern Scotland are going to experience a significant “heat event” this week. 

Temperatures at, or above, 40C are very serious indeed for health and infrastructure. Although this morning a commentator on BBC4’s Broadcast House rather breezily dismissed concerns.

Hope no one living in those areas suffers from any health issues.

On a much less important scale,  I also think of the photos of delightful gardens in the UK that posters have shared with us.

Is there a drought attached to the heat wave and are those gardens requiring even more attention to maintain their beauty?

They most certainly are. Of course, the problem with the current drought is we are also told not to water the garden to preserve supplies!

My local golf course is getting browner and browner and is rock hard. At least it means I hit the ball further. Fortunately it is all due to be over by Wednesday, temperatures back to near normal so it's only a couple of days of serious heat.

• Thanks 1

Drought is something with which we are very familiar "down under." Top temperature we have experienced on the south coast of NSW was 45C - cooked a lot of non-native plants!

Where we live, water restrictions of various levels are in place every Summer, depending on the level of the local water supply dam. When the dam was at a critical level some years back in the early 2000's, watering was restricted to a half hour a couple of days a week, in the early morning or evening by bucket - no hose or automatic system to be used.

Like @Grandma Cruising we never water our grassed areas. We also use tank water to top up the pool when needed and for what little plant watering is required. Many native plants don't require and extra.

This year there has been an excess of water dumped on us during three "disaster level" floods. We are fortunate to be on a hill.

To those about to be affected by high temperatures - stay well hydrated!

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 6:06 PM, nordski said:

All Canadians will certainly appreciate and be thankful for the good wishes.

Those uninterested in history and sports should skip the following trivia.

I mentioned that the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team has a home game today, and on July 4th our neighbours to the south will have a large slate of games to enjoy in various cities.

But why not cricket games?

The argument is that cricket was quite popular in North America before 1860. 

But the US Civil War created conditions where games needed to be shorter and the pitch not so carefully kept. And travelling cricket teams from the UK were usually having an easy time during their periodic visits.

So cricket was another victim of the Civil War.

Apologies for that digression which will only interest me. 😄

I wasn't aware that Cricket was popular in Canada.  I am not a sports fan, but I am  aware the Blue Jays used Buffalo stadium for home games during Covid.  I can understand basic baseball, football, basketball and hockey rules but cricket rules are so arcane that I have never understood them.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:18 AM, Baynanno1 said:

Like @Grandma Cruising we never water our grassed areas. We also use tank water to top up the pool when needed and for what little plant watering is required. Many native plants don't require and extra.

I never water the grass either. It's a waste of time and resources and grass is resilient and goes green again once it turns wet again.  Aside from the fact that most in my area of the UK are on water meters. This is good because it makes one more aware that it's precious. We have no national grid for water in the UK either and there can be a huge difference in rainfall totals here. 

Only thing I water are the newly established shrubs that struggle in the heat and dry here. Nearly lost a couple last year, but saved them. 

Phil 

• Like 3

On 7/19/2022 at 11:06 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

I never water the grass either. It's a waste of time and resources and grass is resilient and goes green again once it turns wet again.  Aside from the fact that most in my area of the UK are on water meters. This is good because it makes one more aware that it's precious. We have no national grid for water in the UK either and there can be a huge difference in rainfall totals here. 

Only thing I water are the newly established shrubs that struggle in the heat and dry here. Nearly lost a couple last year, but saved them. 

Phil 

We  do now have a water grid of sorts in Yorkshire, after a severe drought in 1995 when hundreds of road tankers had to be used to bring much needed water to top up reservoirs in the region.

Yorkshire Water invested heavily in new pipelines and fixing leaks in the system.

Now water can be pumped around the system to where it is needed most.

Levels are has low now has they were in 1995 and usage has increased.

No restrictions have been imposed yet but they cannot be ruled out unless we get much needed rain soon.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:59 AM, GoSeeDo2 said:

It is summertime in the Colorado Rockies. Such a beautiful time of year. As a disclaimer, the moose photo was taken through our home window, I would never get that close to one!

Looking forward to our second Azamara cruise in September.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b920cdd77d29b32638ce3c70833b22d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5b0568c8cfaf9a1446c83530aaf9b426.jpeg

Also in Colorado-Denver at Present but just spent a nice few days in Vail where I did some hiking and biking!

FEDD3489-4E91-4992-9193-565093C70F8E.heic 57543A7F-9C02-4626-9B89-C776AE045066.heic

On 7/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, GoSeeDo2 said:

Yogagal47 - Which hike is that? I am always looking for new trail ideas. We are in Silverthorne.

One of my favorites is Shrine Ridge Trail. https://sweptawaytoday.com/2021/08/22/shrine-ridge-trail-hike-off-of-i-70-on-vail-pass/. This time we just took a hike behind my sister's rental which is across from the Raquet Club in East Vail. I think it is called Murphy Falls. You go up from opposite Bighorn Park and can do it as a relatively short trail where you come out by a water tower. On google maps they also show a "Zen Falls" which good be the little falls off to the right when you get up part way. Another easy hike is to take Gondy 1 up and walk across to Lion's Head. Ultimately if you do the easy hike you will just find yourself in Lionshead Village at the base of the Gondola. Get a trail map at the ticket window-that will show you the various options you can access from the mountain. It is also available on the website I believe. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Now I will have to take a look at Scenic!

You will have to be really patient with the website. 😄

We have this itinerary booked for next fall.

Thanks to Jazzbeau for posting this excellent summary.

• Thanks 2

I completely agree with you- The largest ship I have ever sailed on had a capacity of 980 passengers.

I was reading through the loyalty benefits and came across the term "priority boarding"- and was curious what how Azamara handled that

17 minutes ago, Lois10028 said:

I was reading through the loyalty benefits and came across the term "priority boarding"- and was curious what how Azamara handled that

Don't know what it would be – boarding an R-ship is so easy that there's no need for priority boarding, or priority tendering, or priority anything.  [As opposed to the MSC Yacht Club, which would be unbearable if not for priority everything!]

Thank you for responding so fast 

On my first Azamara cruise there was a short line-- and  check in went very  fast.  The second time was last October in Italy and due to COVID testing it was a very long wait-- .

My question was really out of curiosity--- because once aboard it didn't matter.

2 minutes ago, Lois10028 said:

Thank you for responding so fast 

On my first Azamara cruise there was a short line-- and  check in went very  fast.  The second time was last October in Italy and due to COVID testing it was a very long wait-- .

My question was really out of curiosity--- because once aboard it didn't matter.

On any cruises we have taken where Covid testing was required at the port, there was no priority for getting tested.  But thankfully those days are over anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt sharing thoughts and memories today with residents of the UK and of the Commonwealth who are experiencing the end of an era.

When I was a student, she watched over us from her portrait in every classroom of this nation.

What will the future bring?

• Like 5

The Queen was such a part of our lives.  Someone who devoted herself to a life of service for others.  We all remember that wonderful smile and sparkling eyes.  We all believed this could never happen, we have known no other monarch.  She was a lady who loved the sea, who even in her later years chartered small cruise ships to enjoy time around the Scottish islands.  And of course her beloved former Royal Yacht is right by where Azamara docks when they call in Edinburgh.  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 8