PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

looks like some of the 'cruise fund' has become the 'appliance fund'

Ours has also changed coarse 😂, bits and pieces for the new 4WD like bull bar, rear bar, brush bars, awning, snorkel, etc. etc. etc. The list seems never ending and just keeps on growing.

1 hour ago, Loki S said:

Ours has also changed coarse 😂, bits and pieces for the new 4WD like bull bar, rear bar, brush bars, awning, snorkel, etc. etc. etc. The list seems never ending and just keeps on growing.

One of our sons bought a new Jeep Rubicon with "everything, everything". Then he raised it up and put big tires (35" perhaps?) on it. Then two issues reared their heads. One, his wife became pregnant and it was not only very hard for her to climb up into the vehicle, it also wouldn't work with a baby seat. The other issue was even worse. It seems that Jeep went "cheap" on the vehicle and used lighter weight axle sleeves. The steering started to get weird. It seems that one must put in heavy duty inserts before raising the vehicle and putting on the huge tires. It had started "bending" things. D'Oh!

Just make sure your modifications aren't ones that bring surprises. My son was not at all pleased. He had added a lot of other stuff to the Rubicon and it turned out to all be a waste. He got rid of the vehicle and got a more "family friendly" ride.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thrak said:

One of our sons bought a new Jeep Rubicon with "everything, everything". Then he raised it up and put big tires (35" perhaps?) on it. Then two issues reared their heads. One, his wife became pregnant and it was not only very hard for her to climb up into the vehicle, it also wouldn't work with a baby seat. The other issue was even worse. It seems that Jeep went "cheap" on the vehicle and used lighter weight axle sleeves. The steering started to get weird. It seems that one must put in heavy duty inserts before raising the vehicle and putting on the huge tires. It had started "bending" things. D'Oh!

Just make sure your modifications aren't ones that bring surprises. My son was not at all pleased. He had added a lot of other stuff to the Rubicon and it turned out to all be a waste. He got rid of the vehicle and got a more "family friendly" ride.

Totally agree with what you’re saying. We had a 80 series Toyota Landcruiser that was fun climbing into with the lift, was 1 foot up on the brush bar step and 2 jumps off the other foot. The 80 is over 20 years old now and needs quite a bit of work, we’re the third owners and really sad too see it go. Everyone described our 80 has a beast, really served us well. From trips to Cape York being the most Northern tip of Australia across the OTL. Also across the Savannah Gulf to the Northern Territory, not to forget countless times to Fraser Island. 

My husband does a lot of research before we proceed as it’s a lot of money to be in the same position as your son as well as keeping it within the legislation of height etc. It’s a real pain in the bottom when things don’t go too plan, I really feel for your son as it’s disheartening when you go to so much effort for it not too work out. 

So far so good, we’re really please with our new Toyota. Just waiting for the temps too cool down so we can hit the road. Too hot this time of year heading into Summer for an outback Queensland trip.

1 hour ago, Loki S said:

Just waiting for the temps too cool down so we can hit the road. Too hot this time of year heading into Summer for an outback Queensland trip.

We had a 5 week cross country camping trip planned for this spring. Nope. Fires and Covid killed that. The cruises for this year were cancelled and it's looking like all of next year's cruises will be cancelled as well. Hopefully we will be able to get a good camping trip in the spring instead. You're waiting for the heat to diminish and we're in the other end of the seasons. Of course we're not like the folks who had snow and ice and such. We actually hit freezing the other night. Got that out of the way. We will probably freeze again a few nights before the weather gets better but, over all, we have it pretty easy. We used to have about 29 inches of rain every year but that went away years ago. Now we just hope for some rain.

Good luck with your Queensland outback trip. Hope it happens for you and all goes well. It wasn't the outback but we did have a 33 day B2B2B booked for Southern Australia, New Zealand, and Queensland. Sadly, the stoooooooooooooopid virus showed up and we all know how that worked out. We really missed out on our chance to visit those places but it looks like shutting the borders (and smart people who actually understood precautions) has worked out well for you folks. Hopefully we will be seeing more folks from down under on future cruises. (I always seem to meet some in Wheelhouse for some reason... 😄)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

On the other hand, I read a tweet from a nurse yesterday that said, "We don't need your 7:00 applause. We don't need your thanks or donated pizza. We don't need you to tell us we are heroes. We need you to wear your #$&* masks!" 

I'm thinking we can wear our masks and say thank you. 

This nurse thanks you and asks that the mask be worn properly. I can't tell you how many times I have to tell my husband to cover his d&^(_(&^% nose.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PurpleHays said:

This nurse thanks you and asks that the mask be worn properly. I can't tell you how many times I have to tell my husband to cover his d&^(_(&^% nose.

I get soooooooooooooooo very tired of seeing people with a mask that doesn't cover their nose or is hanging around their chin. It's not hard to wear the thing properly. Yes, it's a pain in the butt. We wear them anyway and we know how to wear them properly.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I get soooooooooooooooo very tired of seeing people with a mask that doesn't cover their nose or is hanging around their chin. It's not hard to wear the thing properly. Yes, it's a pain in the butt. We wear them anyway and we know how to wear them properly.

It's easy for me--I've worn them at work for 30+ years. I just wanna yell at them, but figure that won't go over well. I will ask them to move back if they are within six feet.

• Like 1

It astonishes me how many people are too dim to realize that the nose is part of the respiratory system..

I taught 2nd grade science for a number of years. I wonder if my colleagues and I didn't do a good enough job. Seriously! How is it possible that people are THAT ignorant?!?!?! Did we fail to get students to understand that the nose is involved with respiration? Or are they just being jerks?

Sadly, I think I know the answer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

It astonishes me how many people are too dim to realize that the nose is part of the respiratory system..

I taught 2nd grade science for a number of years. I wonder if my colleagues and I didn't do a good enough job. Seriously! How is it possible that people are THAT ignorant?!?!?! Did we fail to get students to understand that the nose is involved with respiration? Or are they just being jerks?

Hi MamaFej,

I totally agree with you. Some people just think they are privilege and they can do whatever they want.

They are Ignorant. 

Tony

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Good luck with your Queensland outback trip. Hope it happens for you and all goes well. It wasn't the outback but we did have a 33 day B2B2B booked for Southern Australia, New Zealand, and Queensland. Sadly, the stoooooooooooooopid virus showed up and we all know how that worked out. We really missed out on our chance to visit those places but it looks like shutting the borders (and smart people who actually understood precautions) has worked out well for you folks. Hopefully we will be seeing more folks from down under on future cruises. (I always seem to meet some in Wheelhouse for some reason... 😄)

That would have been an amazing trip, yes that stoooooooooooooopid virus!! Hopefully soon might be able to look at these itineraries again. We have had strict restrictions, not that’s it’s been great on some fronts of jobs losses, businesses and tourism. With the restrictions came fines if broken, lockdown wasn’t easy for anyone but looks like we’re restrictions are being eased all the time. My workplace only has roughly 50% in the office at any one time with social distancing adapted for desks being used, I’m still fortunate being able to work from home 🏡, just ticked over 8 months. Just got to keep up the new normal when out and about. There’s even a travel bubble between New Zealand and some states in Australia, at this stage only one way but it’s a start. A lot of tears of family reunions.

Must admit have frequented the Wheelhouse on a few occasions 😉😉😉🥂🍸🍹🍻

Our Queensland trip will happen just need to be patient, we’ve been mapping out our itinerary and would like to help those communities that have not had the tourist. Apparently caravan sales are the highest they’ve been, as we can now travel easily throughout Queensland.

Edited by Loki S
  • Like 1

Planning and anticipation is one of our favorite activities- your Queensland adventure sounds wonderful!  

Our family in New Mexico just told us that the state is going back to a 2 week shut-down Monday with only essential businesses open, though restaurants are available for take-out.   We sent SIL/BIL a few masks from our favorite company since they have home health therapy coming in to help with Phil’s 97y/o mom, who broke her hip.  Love the mask’s design and adjustable ears, which assures good fit.  Yay!  We are only 5 hours away by car, but won’t be traveling because members in both households have some health issues and we can’t risk it at this point.  It does make us happy knowing we’ve done so much traveling before the bug hit, and look forward to resuming one day.  Til then, we’re planning and anticipating some house and deck remodeling... deck first since I don’t want strangers in the house until next spring when the house can be open.   Ummm, maybe screen in the porch while we’re at it?  The raccoons and deer won’t like that, but it gives our cat a place where she can safely be an outdoorsman.  Yeah, we’ll do it for the cat!

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

MamaFej-

I have a very strong feeling that you were an excellent teacher and that many

of you colleagues were as well. Sometimes, I wonder if my classmates were really

in my classes, because I am constantly amazed at what I see as quite ignorant behavior

and knowledge.

On the coast in Washington State, we have been enjoying some crazy storms with strong

winds of 30+ mph, hail, and lots of rain. DH has a dental appointment in Portland, Oregon

on Monday so we hope to not be stopped at the border. 😵

• Thanks 1

Our Idaho Governor came on yesterday and announced we have stepped back to modified Stage 2.  No gatherings of over ten people inside or outside, school districts can choose if they wish to do remote learning only which Boise school district has opted for, strong urgency for those places where mask mandates are not in force to please wear them, requests for remote gatherings if possible for Thanksgiving.  The gathering limit does not affect religious or educational activities.

I recently got a Windows 10 update that took quite a few hours to down-load and install.  This is a new version of the operating system that is tailored towards people having to work from home.  Not sure what this version is called (example there was the Creators Update), but I imagine it could be the 10-19 (for COVID-19) update?

🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nini said:

MamaFej-

I have a very strong feeling that you were an excellent teacher and that many

of you colleagues were as well. Sometimes, I wonder if my classmates were really

in my classes, because I am constantly amazed at what I see as quite ignorant behavior

and knowledge.

On the coast in Washington State, we have been enjoying some crazy storms with strong

winds of 30+ mph, hail, and lots of rain. DH has a dental appointment in Portland, Oregon

on Monday so we hope to not be stopped at the border. 😵

I don’t believe you will be stopped at the border since there is so much travel between Portland and Vancouver Washington. However be prepared for wet weather

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I don’t believe you will be stopped at the border since there is so much travel between Portland and Vancouver Washington. However be prepared for wet weather

Most likely not. Their Governor is shutting things down again as well as that of

WA and CA. They are asking us to not go across state lines. We lived in OR for over 35

years and have family, friends, and medical relationships there.

We are always prepared for wet weather. The Pacific ocean is .5 miles from our house

and we have been getting pounded all day and also have been gifted the fabulous King Tides

for the 2nd time this year. They are so fun to see!

Precipitation for my town for this season (October 1 to date):  0.03 inches. Not exactly getting hammered with rain. In fact, the entire 0.03 inches fell yesterday - as of 5 PM. We could really use some rain but, much more importantly, we need snow in the mountains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Precipitation for my town for this season (October 1 to date):  0.03 inches. Not exactly getting hammered with rain. In fact, the entire 0.03 inches fell yesterday - as of 5 PM. We could really use some rain but, much more importantly, we need snow in the mountains.

Hi Thrak,

I wish I could send you some snow I hate it. This is a picture of me behind my snowblower.

Tony

FE4B1841-D534-4975-B386-8F159999B870.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Our family in New Mexico just told us that the state is going back to a 2 week shut-down Monday with only essential businesses open, though restaurants are available for take-out.  

Hope all goes well for your family. I think Melbourne, Australia only recently started having restrictions lifted after 4 months of lockdown. This was the second time they had been in lockdown with strict restrictions. Essential workers were allowed to go to work. They’re doing really well with now 16 days of no community transmission. We’re all being asked to be COVID-19 safe.

Today was our daughter's Senior Recital, sort of. Normally, she would have an accompanist. She also wanted to do a joint recital with a friend, as she did for her Junior, the final piece being a duet. Normally, she would have an audience filled with her sorority members, other musicians, friends, family, and faculty. Well, we all know what happened to normally.

I first watched her perform in the chapel at the university when she was 13 years old, in the All-County Honor Band. I've watched her play multiple instruments and sing in many languages on this stage. I've seen her perform here with as few as four others in Flute Choir, and over 200 others in the Feast of Lights at Christmas time. 

Today, she performed alone. Only the two-person audio-video crew was allowed up in the balcony, and her instructor and household members were allowed in the audience. That was me, PapaFej, and her younger brother. Her instructor couldn't come because she had to record soundtracks for Looney Tunes today. Really. It was a last-minute change to her schedule; she does a lot of Hollywood soundtracks.

We saved a considerable amount of money not having to host a reception afterwards. I definitely would have preferred to spend it.

The recording will be streamed to family and friends (and her instructor, I hope) on the 24th, then the recording has to be destroyed, for music copyright reasons. 

Pandemics suck. 

I'm proud of my girl!

IMG_2685.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Today was our daughter's Senior Recital, sort of. Normally, she would have an accompanist. She also wanted to do a joint recital with a friend, as she did for her Junior, the final piece being a duet. Normally, she would have an audience filled with her sorority members, other musicians, friends, family, and faculty. Well, we all know what happened to normally.

I first watched her perform in the chapel at the university when she was 13 years old, in the All-County Honor Band. I've watched her play multiple instruments and sing in many languages on this stage. I've seen her perform here with as few as four others in Flute Choir, and over 200 others in the Feast of Lights at Christmas time. 

Today, she performed alone. Only the two-person audio-video crew was allowed up in the balcony, and her instructor and household members were allowed in the audience. That was me, PapaFej, and her younger brother. Her instructor couldn't come because she had to record soundtracks for Looney Tunes today. Really. It was a last-minute change to her schedule; she does a lot of Hollywood soundtracks.

We saved a considerable amount of money not having to host a reception afterwards. I definitely would have preferred to spend it.

The recording will be streamed to family and friends (and her instructor, I hope) on the 24th, then the recording has to be destroyed, for music copyright reasons. 

Pandemics suck. 

I'm proud of my girl!

IMG_2685.jpg

In these difficult times ..... we’ll done!!!!

I have a friend who’s eldest son graduates high school (year 12) this week. Lucky enough with Queensland doing quite well with COVID they can have their formal whilst being COVID safe. But still will have changes to this event and their graduation. As well as Schoolies being called off for 2020, this would be where the year 12 students would mainly head down to the Gold Coast for a week of partying and celebrations 🥳.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Loki S said:

In these difficult times ..... we’ll done!!!!

I have a friend who’s eldest son graduates high school (year 12) this week. Lucky enough with Queensland doing quite well with COVID they can have their formal whilst being COVID safe. But still will have changes to this event and their graduation. As well as Schoolies being called off for 2020, this would be where the year 12 students would mainly head down to the Gold Coast for a week of partying and celebrations 🥳.

Her little brother graduated high school in May. He had lost his Prom, his final concerts and most of the winter drumline season, as well as all the end of senior year activities. The school did an excellent job creating a drive through graduation, with grads getting out of their cars to walk across the stage at a safe distance from the principal. This was filmed and edited together into a ceremony streamed the night they were to graduate. Don't tell anybody I said this, but it was in some ways better (for me as an audience member) than my other kids' graduations. I could actually hear my kid's name, no one stood in front of me, blocking my view, and I got to fast forward through hundreds of other kids, and just watch the few dozen who are really important to our family.

I'm not sure what the university has planned for graduation in April. Hubby and I were supposed to be sailing home from Tahiti at the end of a 12 week trip to the South Pacific, including your neck of the woods, just in time to take a short 1 hour plane ride home from San Francisco and be there for the ceremony and celebrations. In fact, today's recital was supposed to be next month, after we got home from an 11 week TP, Asia, and Australia trip. 

Sigh. 

Congratulations to your friend's son! And congratulations to places who handled this pandemic well from early on and are now getting somewhat back to normal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Hubby and I were supposed to be sailing home from Tahiti at the end of a 12 week trip to the South Pacific, including your neck of the woods, just in time to take a short 1 hour plane ride home from San Francisco and be there for the ceremony and celebrations. In fact, today's recital was supposed to be next month, after we got home from an 11 week TP, Asia, and Australia trip. 

That trip would have been amazing. We loved Tahiti when we did a 28-day cruise 🚢 of Tahiti, French Polynesia, Western Samoa, America Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, New Caledonia and many more. The South Pacific have some beautiful places and friendly people. Hopefully sometime into the future you can attempt this cruise again. COVID-19 has impacted so much.

Also, congrats on your son graduating but really sad for him not having those final experiences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loki S said:

That trip would have been amazing. We loved Tahiti when we did a 28-day cruise 🚢 of Tahiti, French Polynesia, Western Samoa, America Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, New Caledonia and many more. The South Pacific have some beautiful places and friendly people. Hopefully sometime into the future you can attempt this cruise again. COVID-19 has impacted so much.

Also, congrats on your son graduating but really sad for him not having those final experiences.

Thanks! We've cancelled everything international in 2020 and 2021, and now have a NZ/Oz/South Pacific trip planned for early 2022, including a circumnavigation of Australia. We are hoping it will be a go. In the meantime, we mostly live in our motorhome, socially distant from everyone. In some RV parks, we can literally check in with our phones and not have any contact at all.

Our college senior and college freshman take care of the house and the dogs while we are gone. Our daughter refers to it as "adulting with training wheels." 

We are home in Southern California for now, but hope to be back on the road later this week. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Thanks! We've cancelled everything international in 2020 and 2021, and now have a NZ/Oz/South Pacific trip planned for early 2022, including a circumnavigation of Australia. We are hoping it will be a go. In the meantime, we mostly live in our motorhome, socially distant from everyone. In some RV parks, we can literally check in with our phones and not have any contact at all.

Our college senior and college freshman take care of the house and the dogs while we are gone. Our daughter refers to it as "adulting with training wheels." 

We are home in Southern California for now, but hope to be back on the road later this week. 

Love it!!! My parents look after the Fur Grandchild whilst we’re away. They love it. Fingers crossed 🤞you’re able to do the planned cruise in 2022. You’ll get to places we haven’t been to as yet, including Western Australia. The other components will also be fantastic. We love NZ and South Pacific.

Safe travels.

• Like 1