Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

15 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

'Nuff said, along with the fact that most of the people filling the hospital beds are unvaccinated. No need to go much further than that I suppose.   🤔

Unfortunately we just got the news that my 35 year old niece (otherwise healthy) is in the hospital with COVID pneumonia but is expected to recover.  She was vaccinated twice and was about to go for her booster.  But yes but I do agree that most people in the hospitals are unvaccinated.  

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Unfortunately we just got the news that my 35 year old niece (otherwise healthy) is in the hospital with COVID pneumonia but is expected to recover.

TR....so sorry to hear this. Prayers for her full recovery. It brings it much 'closer to home', as it were, when we know someone that has had covid. I know several in our community. Fortunately no family members. 

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

TR....so sorry to hear this. Prayers for her full recovery. It brings it much 'closer to home', as it were, when we know someone that has had covid. I know several in our community. Fortunately no family members. 

Thanks for the prayers!  My son had a mild case early in the year (before he was vaccinated).  No others until my niece this past week.  It kind of freaked us out when we heard she was hospitalized.  Her husband got it too and he was also double vaccinated.  But he is only mildly ill at home.  We were planning on traveling to New England see our families for Christmas since we missed doing this in 2020.  But now we plan to stay home again.  This is all so tiring!

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Unfortunately we just got the news that my 35 year old niece (otherwise healthy) is in the hospital with COVID pneumonia but is expected to recover.  She was vaccinated twice and was about to go for her booster.  But yes but I do agree that most people in the hospitals are unvaccinated.  

So sorry for your family.   This shows how all of us are vulnerable - even those vaccinated, and maybe triple vaccinated as well;  although these are supposed to be mild cases.  When one is hospitalized from this, the case should not be considered mild;  happy she's on the road to recovery.  So again, we're cautious with cause.  We are having another non-family unit Christmas. 

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, TeeRick said:

Sorry your niece is ill..esp after being vaxed.  Wishing her a full and speedy recovery!

We recently returned to Fla on a full flight. We wore our masks and were nervous.

Keeping mostly to ourselves even though rules are more flexible here than in NY and easier to be outside. Being in the sunshine is great!

Unfortunately,  our  grandsons and son in law  have flu  strain A.  The 5 yr old had 105 deg temp but  it has come down...Sil not bouncing back  very quickly. 

As soon as they recover...flu shots are on the "to do" list!

15 hours ago, hcat said:

Sorry your niece is ill..esp after being vaxed.  Wishing her a full and speedy recovery!

We recently returned to Fla on a full flight. We wore our masks and were nervous.

Keeping mostly to ourselves even though rules are more flexible here than in NY and easier to be outside. Being in the sunshine is great!

Unfortunately,  our  grandsons and son in law  have flu  strain A.  The 5 yr old had 105 deg temp but  it has come down...Sil not bouncing back  very quickly. 

As soon as they recover...flu shots are on the "to do" list!

Hope your family is better soon.  Influenza is still out there and dangerous.  

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!! 😃  Our niece is home today from the hospital so it was just a few days of treatment (antibodies, remdesivir) which worked quickly. We tend to forget or ignore the advances in these COVID antivirals and just focus on vaccines.  Although her doctor told her that she was lucky that she was vaccinated which helped her to recover more quickly and her case did not worsen.  I think the new oral antiviral pill (Paxlovid) for COVID will be very good news for cruise passengers and travelers.  I wish it was available for my niece.  It will be very soon so more hope on the horizon!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Our niece is home today from the hospital so it was just a few days of treatment (antibodies, remdesivir) which worked quickly. We tend to forget or ignore the advances in these COVID antivirals and just focus on vaccines. 

So glad to hear she's doing well!  

• Like 1

Hello From Sacramento.  We are booked on a January Eastern Carribean cruise with Celebrity.  Today news is breaking about the COVID outbreak on RCL’s S o Seas.  Since RCL and Celebrity are the same holding company, I presume that the RCL pre cruise Covid vaccination and testing requirements are the same.  So, We can probably expect 40-50 Covid positive people on our cruise when we disembark.  That’s the bad news.   The good news is that it is reported that all of the + passengers had all 3 doses, and symptoms in 47/48 were mild or non-existent.  My takeaway is that the RCL vax policy is preventing serious illness.  That is good news indeed.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, Rblum100 said:

Hello From Sacramento.  We are booked on a January Eastern Carribean cruise with Celebrity.  Today news is breaking about the COVID outbreak on RCL’s S o Seas.  Since RCL and Celebrity are the same holding company, I presume that the RCL pre cruise Covid vaccination and testing requirements are the same.  So, We can probably expect 40-50 Covid positive people on our cruise when we disembark.  That’s the bad news.   The good news is that it is reported that all of the + passengers had all 3 doses, and symptoms in 47/48 were mild or non-existent.  My takeaway is that the RCL vax policy is preventing serious illness.  That is good news indeed.  

We're booked on the Edge sailing Jan 2nd.  Why do you expect "40-50 Covid positive people on our cruise when we disembark"?

• Like 1

I have recently had an ankle monitor attached to my digits. Seems as though comments sometimes expressed in atypical fashion are offensive, intimidating and harassing to others, including CC overlords. Kind of a shame, actually. I'll try to dial it back some as to word usage and phrasing in order to be more in-line with the typical flaccid, vanilla non-ruminations of others. It will be tough, but I will try.  

• Haha 3

On 12/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, TeeRick said:

Hope your family is better soon.  Influenza is still out there and dangerous.  

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!! 😃  Our niece is home today from the hospital so it was just a few days of treatment (antibodies, remdesivir) which worked quickly. We tend to forget or ignore the advances in these COVID antivirals and just focus on vaccines.  Although her doctor told her that she was lucky that she was vaccinated which helped her to recover more quickly and her case did not worsen.  I think the new oral antiviral pill (Paxlovid) for COVID will be very good news for cruise passengers and travelers.  I wish it was available for my niece.  It will be very soon so more hope on the horizon!

Good news for your niece. Hope she continues to do well

Family in NY on the mend but may stay home this holiday..not a  good time for non essential travel.  We are laying low here in Fla..It is nice to be in the sunshine. Can walk every day, dh golfs a few times wk..in a sep cart, I enjoy my gardening.  Sunset is  much later than 4:30 pm back home..I call that the dark season!

Good wishes to all..stay safe,

On 11/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, mfs2k said:

So it's now November 2021, about 21 months after Covid started spreading faster in the US.

My wife and I just booked our first post pandemic cruise (PPC) for October 2022.  

Since these posts will likely live here for a long time, I'm wondering if anyone in 2021 has predictions how different cruising will be a year from now?  I would guess vaccine mandates will still be in place, but how many boosters will we have gotten in the next year?  I've already had my 3 shots of Moderna.  

What about testing?  Will strict testing rules still be the norm in October 2022?  Will daily cases still hover at about 74,000 in the USA or will the number be higher or lower?  What changes will be standardized and what new changes will be implemented?

What do you guys predict? 

It’s now a month later. 
Christmas Eve Dec 24, 2021

No one predicted Omicron a month ago. It’s spreading like wildfire. Apparently I had it one week ago if you believe my one positive Pcr test followed by 3 negatives. I’m vaxxed and boosted and grateful I had zero symptoms. I feel great and have stayed home from work. 
Maybe this is the Covid future for the vaccinated. We get sick and barely know it. I’m on board with that. (See what I did there?) 

Get vaccinated and boosted. Enjoy cruising. 

• Like 2

New record numbers in NY and Fla and I imagine many other places.  Folks lining up for testing.

Unfortunately, our dtr and sil tested pos. ( a few days after sil tested neg) Very light symptoms and quarantining at home on Long Island NY.  Cancelled a trip to Fl but otherwise ok so far.

The real downside where they live, is all other med care  has mostly been pushed aside at walk ins  and dr offices etc ..Testing is  mainy all that is being done and there is a shortage of test appts.and at home kits..long lines in the cold

Would rather be home than on a ship if we get sick. We are laying low in Fl! Where numbers are high but  seems mostly the new milder variant..long lines for  testing...in the sun.

Kids on Long Island NY were sent home with tablets / laptops in case school resumes remotely after the break

When will it all end?

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, hcat said:

New record numbers in NY and Fla and I imagine many other places.  Folks lining up for testing.

Unfortunately, our dtr and sil tested pos. ( a few days after sil tested neg) Very light symptoms and quarantining at home on Long Island NY.  Cancelled a trip to Fl but otherwise ok so far.

The real downside where they live, is all other med care  has mostly been pushed aside at walk ins  and dr offices etc ..Testing is  mainy all that is being done and there is a shortage of test appts.and at home kits..long lines in the cold

Would rather be home than on a ship if we get sick. We are laying low in Fl! Where numbers are high but  seems mostly the new milder variant..long lines for  testing...in the sun.

Kids on Long Island NY were sent home with tablets / laptops in case school resumes remotely after the break

When will it all end?

Unfortunately your post is exactly like what many places in the US are experiencing right now.  Including where I live.  No testing kits.  Long lines to get tests or at urgent care.  But of the many people sick a lot are reported with mild symptoms so that is the good news in this. No talk here of closing schools (yet).  It is possible that Omicron is so infectious that it actually burns out pretty quickly after ripping through the population and then the pandemic starts to wane rapidly by spring.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Unfortunately your post is exactly like what many places in the US are experiencing right now.  Including where I live.  No testing kits.  Long lines to get tests or at urgent care.  But of the many people sick a lot are reported with mild symptoms so that is the good news in this. No talk here of closing schools (yet).  It is possible that Omicron is so infectious that it actually burns out pretty quickly after ripping through the population and then the pandemic starts to wane rapidly by spring.

I had the same thought about Omicron. Current information suggests this variant as being quite mild. Perhaps with it's rapid spread and mild symptoms it will help the vaccines and be that final boost for our immune systems to fight off the more deadly variants. I find it interesting that so many people with no symptoms are wasting their time and precious resources standing in line for no apparent reason. I will continue to follow protocols and am patiently waiting for my turn for the booster. Should I begin to exhibit symptoms then I guess it will be time to wait in the line with the others.

Be well and safe everyone.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

My brother and his wife both got sick last week, tested positive and both are triple vaxxed.  Scary.

My daughter and son-in-law have researched all this thoroughly (not surprising being that they 're both scientists) and they've mentioned that most people have no true idea how much more contagious omicron is compared to delta. So sorry to hear about your brother and his wife. Hope they feel better soon. 

Thanks guys.  Brother did have to go to the hospital because he has a pacemaker , but he was in less than a day. They are now thankfully on the mend.

I'm wondering if we should get out to stock up on non perishables in case we all get locked down!

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I had the same thought about Omicron. Current information suggests this variant as being quite mild. Perhaps with it's rapid spread and mild symptoms it will help the vaccines and be that final boost for our immune systems to fight off the more deadly variants. I find it interesting that so many people with no symptoms are wasting their time and precious resources standing in line for no apparent reason. I will continue to follow protocols and am patiently waiting for my turn for the booster. Should I begin to exhibit symptoms then I guess it will be time to wait in the line with the others.

Be well and safe everyone.

There are a couple of reasons asymptotic and non COVID+ people are in line. I can only speak for a handful, not all,  but some need a negative test to return to work or school after a close contact, some have tested positive with no symptoms but need a valid positive test to return to college ( in case they test positive upon return, the test will allow them to return), and some have immune comprised people they need to see/care for. 
I hope everyone is doing well and will continue to be well.

• Thanks 1

Younger Children also need a neg test to go back to school if they tested pos or were exposed,   In dtr's district in NY they may try to test all of them before in person school re opens, if it re opens.( they were sent home with tablets)

.I assume they will seek parental ok to test....????

Of course there are not enough tests of either kind available for massive testing,,...big fail somewhere.  How will fed or state gov mail out self tests? Big job for USPS

Happy 2022..stay safe and healthy!

• Thanks 1

Well we got past Christmas Eve and Christmas and had an overall relaxing holiday with immediate family (all triple vaccinated) only.  No travel.  It is interesting that for the first time since the pandemic started we are hearing stories from just about everybody we know of at least one family member or friend testing positive for COVID in the past week and as I mentioned my niece, her husband, a couple of my cousins, and several friends.  Only my niece was sick.  All of the positive tests were from vaccinated but not boosted people.  These folks that we know live in different northeast states.  So it seems that Omicron has really taken hold.  And everybody was taking one form of test or another before holiday parties and family dinners and before/after travel.  The sheer number of increased tests likely contributed to the large number of positives we are seeing amongst our circle.  Very fortunately almost all asymptomatic.  We did not attend Christmas Mass but we streamed the service at home.  I was astonished at how absolutely packed it was and how perhaps only 10% of the people wore masks.  Glad we stayed home.  Early Happy New Year to everybody and hope for a rapidly improving 2022.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Thanks guys.  Brother did have to go to the hospital because he has a pacemaker , but he was in less than a day. They are now thankfully on the mend.

I'm wondering if we should get out to stock up on non perishables in case we all get locked down!

Maybe in Canada but most of the USA has come past any idea of lockdowns.  That will not happen here.  Maybe some indoor restrictions and mask recommendations at best in some cities or areas.