Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

So it's now November 2021, about 21 months after Covid started spreading faster in the US.

My wife and I just booked our first post pandemic cruise (PPC) for October 2022.  

Since these posts will likely live here for a long time, I'm wondering if anyone in 2021 has predictions how different cruising will be a year from now?  I would guess vaccine mandates will still be in place, but how many boosters will we have gotten in the next year?  I've already had my 3 shots of Moderna.  

What about testing?  Will strict testing rules still be the norm in October 2022?  Will daily cases still hover at about 74,000 in the USA or will the number be higher or lower?  What changes will be standardized and what new changes will be implemented?

What do you guys predict? 

mfs...great post, and some thought-provoking questions. We also have done no cruises since covid started. Our next scheduled is 3/22 and 5/22, so you've got more time for things to settle down than we do. I suspect we'll see required testing / proof of vaccination for some time to come. Who ultimately knows where all this is going? We've been in 'uncharted waters' for the most part since the pandemic started. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mfs2k said:

So it's now November 2021, about 21 months after Covid started spreading faster in the US.

My wife and I just booked our first post pandemic cruise (PPC) for October 2022.  

Since these posts will likely live here for a long time, I'm wondering if anyone in 2021 has predictions how different cruising will be a year from now?  I would guess vaccine mandates will still be in place, but how many boosters will we have gotten in the next year?  I've already had my 3 shots of Moderna.  

What about testing?  Will strict testing rules still be the norm in October 2022?  Will daily cases still hover at about 74,000 in the USA or will the number be higher or lower?  What changes will be standardized and what new changes will be implemented?

What do you guys predict? 

OK you asked for predictions so here are mine.  A lot depends somewhat on where you plan to cruise.  The pandemic is still uncontrolled in some parts of the world or vaccines are in short supply.  Or they are not being used by some proportion of the population (like in the USA) and variants emerge.  So I predict testing and vaccine requirements will still be the norm a year from now.  And possibly booster requirements too.  But one other thing that you did not mention that might have a very significant positive impact on cruising in the coming year- the rise of SARS-CoV-2 oral, antiviral drugs like the ones from Merck and Pfizer just recently announced.  Taken early (if you test positive) they have shown efficacy against developing severe COVID and hospitalization.  A second line of defense after vaccines.  They could be easily carried and prescribed on cruise ships.  Or in port stops (if approved in those countries).  Stay tuned!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seems more folks are emerging from the doldrums, finally able to comfortably - though typically still with caution - take advantage of much less restricted travel. Today, 11/8/2021, is particularly significant because certain international regulations have been lifted for travel to the United States. Promises to be a significant influx of global visitors as the U.S. holiday season prepares for the incursion.

While there remains the same contentious disagreements and debates pertinent to everything Covid19 related, cruisers are digging themselves from the depths of their burrows and heading for the open oceans. For the next several months, perhaps through April 2022, it will be the ultimate litmus test. Will an active flu season exacerbate another spike in the Corona Virus? For this reason I would hope that some protocols and regulations remain in place. Should we get through the first quarter of 2022 with continued declining infections and basically a healthy medical report card, I believe that the spring and summer of next year bodes well for a rigorous return to normality....or, at least a comfortable and reasonable facsimile.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My cruise is in February.  I'm still concerned that Covid could still cancel the cruise.  But it seems cruising is probably more safe than other types of travel.  The industry stepped up to do the right thing to keep their passengers safe.  (Yes, it also helps their bottom line and to keep their company afloat (pun intended)).  

For the foreseeable future, I think we are going to see a lot more port-of-calls cancelled and the industry is gong to have to be flexible in rerouting itineraries.  The buffet, as it was before, will not be around for a while. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NanaChar said:

My cruise is in February.  I'm still concerned that Covid could still cancel the cruise.  But it seems cruising is probably more safe than other types of travel.  The industry stepped up to do the right thing to keep their passengers safe.  (Yes, it also helps their bottom line and to keep their company afloat (pun intended)).  

For the foreseeable future, I think we are going to see a lot more port-of-calls cancelled and the industry is gong to have to be flexible in rerouting itineraries.  The buffet, as it was before, will not be around for a while. 

Where is your cruise in February?  From a US port into the Caribbean?  If so it will probably not be cancelled but Caribbean ports might get changed or skipped so I agree with you there.  

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Where is your cruise in February?  From a US port into the Caribbean?  If so it will probably not be cancelled but Caribbean ports might get changed or skipped so I agree with you there.  

I am leaving from Fort Lauderdale.  I know as of right now, it doesn't look like we are going to have an issue, but there are so many variables  (and Covid variants),  I wouldn't bet the house that it will be smooth sailing.  

3 hours ago, NanaChar said:

I am leaving from Fort Lauderdale.  I know as of right now, it doesn't look like we are going to have an issue, but there are so many variables  (and Covid variants),  I wouldn't bet the house that it will be smooth sailing.  

At this point I would be more worried about last minute cancelled and changed flights.  

36 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

At this point I would be more worried about last minute cancelled and changed flights.  

Thank you TeeRick for adding another concern to my much needed vacation.  But since we are from a major hub and have booked the first flight for the day before, we should be good.  

The bigger question i have for you is what sort of dog is your little friend?  I was thinking he/she is a Wheatie.  

21 hours ago, NanaChar said:

Thank you TeeRick for adding another concern to my much needed vacation.  But since we are from a major hub and have booked the first flight for the day before, we should be good.  

The bigger question i have for you is what sort of dog is your little friend?  I was thinking he/she is a Wheatie.  

@NanaChar sorry to give you more concern- but the airlines like SW and AA have been a problem lately with cancelling flights as I'm sure you are aware.  So going in the day before is always a good idea!  Even in non-Covid times.  Yes she is a Wheaten Terrier.  Many people always confuse Wheaties with Golden Doodles.  She is a great pup!

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

@NanaChar sorry to give you more concern- but the airlines like SW and AA have been a problem lately with cancelling flights as I'm sure you are aware.  So going in the day before is always a good idea!  Even in non-Covid times.  Yes she is a Wheaten Terrier.  Many people always confuse Wheaties with Golden Doodles.  She is a great pup!

How can you mix up a Wheatie with a Doodle. I love the puppy beard.  They are great dogs, loads of energy,  and just a little bit stubborn.  

8 hours ago, NanaChar said:

How can you mix up a Wheatie with a Doodle. I love the puppy beard.  They are great dogs, loads of energy,  and just a little bit stubborn.  

Yes agree.  But a lot of people do not know dog breeds and in particular Wheaties, and the various Doodle mixes are very popular right now.  Our girl is three years and still has all the energy of a young puppy.  A little stubborn?  Definitely.

• Like 1

We have our 3 Moderna shots but have put off our return to cruising until  Nov 2022.

Hopefully,  testing pre cruise will be gone  or at least easier to book  by then. It's our last chance to use up our FCC..Kicked the can down the road a few times..Time is Up!

Here on Long Island we had 4 sep tornados touch down on Saturday  with heavy localized damage, We were not affected other than big hail  and rain.   Unusual weather  for us to say the least.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hcat said:

We have our 3 Moderna shots but have put off our return to cruising until  Nov 2022.

Hopefully,  testing pre cruise will be gone  or at least easier to book  by then. It's our last chance to use up our FCC..Kicked the can down the road a few times..Time is Up!

Here on Long Island we had 4 sep tornados touch down on Saturday  with heavy localized damage, We were not affected other than big hail  and rain.   Unusual weather  for us to say the least.

hcat- you might need to get an annual booster (shot 4) before your cruise Nov 2022.  Time will tell I guess.

18 hours ago, hcat said:

have put off our return to cruising until  Nov 2022.

We're scheduled for one in March and May - somehow it doesn't see far enough away given the continuation of the pandemic. I'd be content to push off yet till closer to the end of the year. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Just now, OnTheJourney said:

We scheduled for March and May - somehow it doesn't see far enough away given the continuation of the pandemic. 

I also got very sick for 2 days following my 2nd Moderna shot.  IMO very small price to pay for protection, living a somewhat normal life.  I did not do it so I could travel, I did it so I could be safe and keep others safe.

• Like 3

We each got our boosters yesterday, mine Moderna, her’s Pfizer. We each have a slightly sore arm, but no big deal. I timed this so that we would be as protected as possible headed into our January 2022 cruise, and so that if another six-month booster is going to be coming, then we’ll get that fourth shot in time for it to be in effect for our late May cruise. But I totally expect that we’ll be on an annual cycle like with flu shots.

Stan

16 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm very hesitant to get the booster after getting extremely sick following the 2nd moderna. I'll do it, cause I'd like to keep traveling, but if I get really sick again, I'm done with covid shots. 

Yes what will be required for cruising in the next few years?   I am pretty sure that COVID vaccines and also boosters will be in the picture for quite some time ahead for both traveling internationally and for cruising.  So if you want to do so then getting side effects for a couple of days might be the price to pay.  Maybe try the Pfizer booster instead of Moderna.  We did it that way and we were OK.  Also note that the Moderna booster is 1/2 the original dose so maybe you will tolerate it a bit better.  Best of luck and we Pennsylvanians need to stick together!

• Like 1

Lovely to see some of you getting ready to cruise again.  At the moment we do not have anything scheduled till July but sometimes I think I'm not going to last that long.  We are seriously looking at the new sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii in April.  And hey if we book it we get 50 PUP!!

I just got my booster on Tuesday and honestly I had a sorer arm with the flu shot.  I guess I'm a tough old bag!  DH was quite sick for about 5 days with his booster shot.  i hope you have a better time with the third one On the Journey.

I can't get my mind off the terrible disasters we have in BC with that torrential rain we had last Sun/Mon.  Heard today it is the worst disaster Canada has ever seen.  I could cry thinking of all the animals drowning in the fields and all the chickens in the flooded barns.  I feel terrible for all those farmers.  I don't think at the present time you can drive from Vancouver to the rest of Canada as many of the roads are flooded and broken up and they are still looking for missing people who were victims of a terrible slide.

Keep safe everyone and dream of your next cruise.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TeaBag said:

can't get my mind off the terrible disasters we have in BC with that torrential rain we had last Sun/Mon.  Heard today it is the worst disaster Canada has ever seen.  I could cry thinking of all the animals drowning in the fields and all the chickens in the flooded barns.  I feel terrible for all those farmers. 

That’s so sad!  I’m in New York and I feel bad I didn’t even hear about the storm and the damage it caused and I read online newspapers and mainstream news sites every day. Hope things recover quickly. 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

That’s so sad!  I’m in New York and I feel bad I didn’t even hear about the storm and the damage it caused and I read online newspapers and mainstream news sites every day. Hope things recover quickly. 

I haven't heard anything re this devastation on US news sites.  It will take years to recover from this disaster...highways torn apart, bridges swept away,  homes,livestock and farmland gone.