Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Commissioner Bogen just doesn't get it - the majority of those ships have been at anchor for some time

I know...they even said those ships were just rotating in and out for provisions. No passengers.

• Like 1

So the bottom line; Zaandam and Rotterdam are scheduled off FLL on Thursday and they're waiting for a vote until the County Attorney has drafted a plan/contract that they can sign off on along with "several other entities that comprise the unified command"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

So the bottom line; Zaandam and Rotterdam are scheduled off FLL on Thursday and they're waiting for a vote until the County Attorney has drafted a plan/contract that they can sign off on along with "several other entities that comprise the unified command"

And they want a unanimous vote?

Sounds like they are going to wait for Thursday morning to vote.

Edited by Vict0riann

I give the Commissioners a ton of credit.  I do not know of any other port in the world who lined up to help.

While Florida has been bashed all over the place on this thread you may want to ask yourself has the port closest to me offered to help?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DFD1 said:

They did not, but they will. They just want the cover of an attorney prepared contract/plan to which the parties agree.

The can has indeed been kicked to an attorney.  As a lawyer myself, I've seen this scenario play out dozens and dozens of times.

• Like 3

I listened to essentially all of the Broward County meeting and in summary they deferred action on the HAL ships until Thursday morning.  The so called Unified Command will have to "agree" on what's next.  The ships may be offshore FLL on Thursday but it seems unlikely that they will disembark pax/crew then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

I listened to essentially all of the Broward County meeting and in summary they deferred action on the HAL ships until Thursday morning.  The so called Unified Command will have to "agree" on what's next.  The ships may be offshore FLL on Thursday but it seems unlikely that they will disembark pax/crew then.

And then other countries will have to have time to organize charter flights to take their countrymen home.

I think it is evident from the tone of the meeting that the commission wants to make this happen. However, they have some time and they want to use that time to create a situation that takes away most, if not all, of the political risk.

The way to do that is turn it over to the attorney.

Nothing new about this.....after all, they are politicians.

• Like 3