Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

22 minutes ago, charmed1959 said:

Given the number of Covid19 cases in South Florida, I’d suspect the healthy looking cruise passengers are no more likely to have the virus than the rest of the people at the Fort Lauderdale or Miami airports.  

Again understood but who knows they don't! My point was I understand Florida's hesitation on taking the ships I am sure they have enough problems.

Edited by Reader0108598

9 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Again understood but who knows they don't! My point was I understand Florida's hesitation on taking the ships I am sure they have enough problems.

You are right. The Broward County Commisioners are in a very difficult position. They are being asked to make a very hard decision. I understand they will meet again and, hopefully, vote on Thursday. By then, the ships are likely to be off shore of Ft. Lauderdale...unless they decide to go someplace else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Florida coast guard just announced the cruise ships are to send their passengers to the country the ships are flagged under.  So horrid for the passengers.

I can’t see the USCG requiring both of these ships to head to the Netherlands to disembark passengers. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Florida coast guard just announced the cruise ships are to send their passengers to the country the ships are flagged under.  So horrid for the passengers.

I find this disgusting.  I think HAL should reconsider home porting at Ft. Lauderdale.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, charmed1959 said:

For the not visibly sick people, Port Everglades would work, in they could get the 49 Floridians into cars, the 250 other American’s onto commercial flights, and the thousand foreign passengers on charters home.  It’s the sick I worry about the most coming into south Florida.  Maybe they could air ambulance the very sick to other areas of the state with available capacity?  With all but essential services shut down in that part of the state I’m not sure there is a commercial option for those that just need a place to lay low and get over this.  

Unlike the Grand Princess, it sounds like they are discussing putting them at a cruise terminal, rather than disembarking them into a parking lot.  After the disembarkation are they going to shutter that terminal until they disinfect it?  I guess they don’t need it for awhile.

During the Broward County Commission Meeting yesterday I heard that the sick would stay on the ship and be treated by the HAL medical staff.  I hope I understood that correctly.  If not, please let me know.

One Commissioner asked for details about medical services available on board these ships.  I was impressed to know that they had 7 ventilators (they are now in great demand here in the states) and 200 COVID tests that give results albeit sometimes not 100% accurate (I'm waiting 12 days for results from test I took on March 20 in Central Florida).  So I think the Broward Commissioners had to be impressed.

The Governor needs to understand that these two ships are not going to place a heavy demand on local services.  The now healthy people will go home as quickly as they can.  The crew and sick passengers will stay aboard with care from the ship's medical staff.    The only exceptions are the two seriously ill passengers (not sure what the illness is, may not be COVID) for whom they are asking emergency medical assistance.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Please site your source....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, summer slope said:

How ridiculous

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rj42 said:

The problem so much isn't letting them off the ship. The problem is that if you have infected people put on commercial airlines, then you spread Covid everywhere--that's what happened to the passengers of the Costa ship, who were dispersed at Atlanta and many of the passengers without symptoms tested positive when home, after probably infecting many others in the airport and planes and going to home (that's how the Seattle outbreak started). I also remembered the movie "Outbreak", where a sneeze or cough on an airplane from an infected person launched a spread of a deadly virus. So if you have sick passengers and crew, you pretty much have to do the same mandatory quarantine and isolation that the other two Princess ships did, meaning more US military and health system resources taken up for a foreign ship that departed after the Princess outbreak (send the bill to Orlando, and use the Konigsdam as a hospital ship until they pay it). 

It's just sad, because the Zaandam is my favorite HAL ship, one of the few with a real library, spacious promenade, cool musical memorabilia, and none of the Lincoln Center/Billboard corporate blandness of the bigger ships. 

THIS. I have been saying this for weeks now. I'm a Celebrity cruiser here following and praying for these ships and their pax and crew. We were off the Silhouette on 3/15 and I have mild symptoms which I 100% feel I got from the FLL airport and two ensuing flights. The return air travel portion of our trip was disgusting. It kills me that so many assume the cruise ships are to blame when for the most part ignoring the role of the airlines and airports (much of it not avoidable). (See my rant on Celebrity boards on Defending the Cruise Industry). 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, summer slope said:

22 minutes ago, Babr said:

You’ve got to be kidding. Where is that guy who said yesterday that he is going to do what is right for humanity? Oh yeah - he is the same guy who said he did not want the Grand passengers to disembark because it would mess up his numbers.

It's not the "Florida Coast Guard" there is no such thing, it is US Coast Guard.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, volk904 said:

There is no reason the passengers cannot be out is gloves and respirators and moved to quarantine safely. 

The plan is up to Carnival Corp to develop.  No reason? Those items are in shortage already in Broward County.  I understand you do not live here, but you have to learn more about the situation happening here, NOW, before saying "no reason".  Broward County again and again has raised concerns over their healthcare infrastructure and asked Carnival Corp for a PLAN.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, summer slope said:

It's not the "Florida" Coast Guard, it's the United States Coast Guard.

18 minutes ago, Himself said:

I find this disgusting.  I think HAL should reconsider home porting at Ft. Lauderdale.

Since the United States Coast Guard made the decision with which you disagree, are you suggesting that HAL should home port outside of the U.S.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Babr said:

How is this different from the incident with the Grand Princess? Why isn’t there a federal response to get these people safely treated, quarantined, or transported? Many are not American. Wouldn’t that require coordination with other national governments.

At the time of Grand Princess companies and government were willing to do extraordinary things in hopes of containment of the virus.  Now that containment has failed they have moved on from that strategy.  The plan must come from Carnival Corp and be approved by the Unified Command in Broward County. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Posts being added so quickly I found the a answer to my question.

Edited by capriccio