Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

We played tourist in NYC yesterday and visited Pier 54, the Cunard Pier. Amazing transformation. The pier is a park now.
 This pier is where RMS Lusitania left for its ill-fated voyage and RMS Carpathia arrived with Titanic survivors. Pictures include the original arch of the terminal in front of the park. 

IMG_4255.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2024 at 2:19 PM, Lanky Lad said:
  1. A damp day here, but no more work for me until Tuesday. 

Happy Easter to those celebrating this weekend. 

Happy Easter to you LL. And all our pals. 

• Like 1

We in Texas and much of the US are experiencing a full eclipse of by the moon of the sun. Where I am east of the cone of Totality we experienced 94% of Totality. At 1:15 c.d.t., as we waited for the exact moment here at 1:34 c.d.t., a massive thunderstorm arrived, so we watched the actual eclipse on Television from the Johnson Space Center about 75 miles to our southeast. It was very interesting.

But to get some sense of the event, we went onto the screened porch over looking the back garden and pool and watched the the sky darken under the clouds until the detail of the trees and bushes in the yard were hard to see. 

After about three minutes, the sky lightened like an early dawn where the light arrives ahead of the sun. Charlie the cat was unfazed with the eclipse, but a couple of close claps of thunder caused him to seek the comfort of his favorite chair in the living room. 

We will have another eclipse here in 2044, right after my 100th birthday. I can hardly wait. 

• Like 5

We drove a few hours north to be near the center of the path of totality, where the total eclipse had a duration of about 3 minutes.  Historically that part of Maine at this time of year is usually cloudy, but we were lucky and the skies were clear.  The event itself was beautiful and mysterious and awe-inspiring.  A thrilling experience.

• Like 4

View from midtown Manhattan yesterday.  90% totality but nothing too dramatic. Seeing NYC come to a halt for about 1/2 hour was the sight to see. 

IMG_4282.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We recently returned from a family cruise with my in-laws on a different line (something we do with them each year and look forward to taking)

Although our favorite line, as a couple, is Cunard (unparalleled in beauty, relaxation, and enrichment programs), we always enjoy these fun family cruises on the other lines too. They are fun for all of the ages and personalities in the group including my young nieces. We all love hanging out together, seeing places, making memories, and, as you do on a cruise ship, eating as a family together.

This “other” line this time was chosen by other members of the family due to the itinerary- which was quite interesting. We all liked the itinerary. BUT… I have never in my life been on a cruise with such poor food. Wow. We (collectively as a family) have sailed on so many different lines and have never had a ship food experience like this.

I had read bad reviews about this particular line we just took before sailing- but my family wanted to try it out. I’m a positive but realistic person- so I went into it all knowing they had a reputation but hoping it was merely people complaining online. Goodness gracious, the bad reviews on the food were spot on.

It was interesting to return home from a cruise saying, “Yeah, I’ll never cruise that line again”

I am usually the person saying “When are we going next?”

Certainly made me appreciate Cunard, which I always do… but it also made me appreciate the family-friendly boisterous cruises we have taken on other lines.

• Like 2

Out Friday evening and unexpectedly met this new family of ducks in a storm drain we were passing.

And we had Nora at the beach as well, which the lens was more suited to.

A7C06310screen.thumb.JPG.58c289720d9b4c8ac2f966703d38f87e.JPG

A7C06319screen.thumb.JPG.9be8394b22cb2def6f92f1a53eaa4e79.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The water bombers were out training earlier this week. Quite late for them. They usually start around a month earlier. And they only did two passes of the bay, scooping up and dropping their load.

A7C06323crop.thumb.jpg.9fab4ead8e7c991854607db34258cd83.jpg

1 hour ago, D&N said:

The water bombers were out training earlier this week. Quite late for them. They usually start around a month earlier. And they only did two passes of the bay, scooping up and dropping their load.

We don’t have those yet, but I expect to see them soon off the South coast, as the fires seem to become more frequent. What is the effect on the flora and fauna of drenching an area with sea water?

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

What is the effect on the flora and fauna of drenching an area with sea water?

Never thought about that.

They only use them to extinguish fires, so I suppose the choice is to potentially lose it all to fire against any salt water damage.

The training is in the paths taken across the bays rather than the dropping. Anything they pick up is dropped over the sea. I've never heard of them scooping up a jet-skier or swimmer yet.

I don't know if we've ever rambled through a bombed area. We have been through some areas where trees and bushes have been really blackened and remarkably many were showing green shoots.

They also have some Dash 8s and helicopters that refill at land bases. They drop a retardant mixture.

Edited by D&N

26 minutes ago, D&N said:

Never thought about that.

They only use them to extinguish fires, so I suppose the choice is to potentially lose it all to fire against any salt water damage.

The training is in the paths taken across the bays rather than the dropping. Anything they pick up is dropped over the sea. I've never heard of them scooping up a jet-skier or swimmer yet.

I don't know if we've ever rambled through a bombed area. We have been through some areas where trees and bushes have been really blackened and remarkably many were showing green shoots.

They also have some Dash 8s and helicopters that refill at land bases. They drop a retardant mixture.

Yes, in Dorset, we are very big on British reptiles, so it may be a choice between a singed lizard and a drowned and salted lizard. Although the blackened heathland is a very depressing sight, it is really encouraging how quickly the green shoots start appearing.

3 hours ago, D&N said:

They were doing the same in the bay at Port de Pollenca in Mallorca last week

• Like 1

As is often the case when we're not going out on Saturday nights, we went out briefly for a drink and a snack tonight.

I don't normally pose casually for photos, but thought I'd make an exception. Not a polo shirt in sight! Nora's casual isn't usually about outfits. Ladies might spot how she differentiates between a "night out" and any other time. Fourteen nights on QM2 is a lot of work for her.

IMG_20240419_192453825cropjoin.thumb.jpg.422db56eac47fe61fbfe729f38d57a2c.jpg

• Like 3

A lovely concert tonight at King Georges Hall in Blackburn with the Halle Orchestra. A Night at the Oscars. 

Highlights included West Side Story, Frozen, Star Wars, Titanic Schindler's List and Ben Hur. 

• Like 4

Some pics from a walk along the prom last week.

An adult swan in a local river mouth. Some of the pairs have been missing recently. I suspect they may be upstream guarding eggs.

A7C06415crop.thumb.JPG.b15ac61f2b89f192de4c532cb8bbace2.JPG

The neighbouring town's sailing school. I think this was man overboard training.

A7C06380.thumb.JPG.d6803825eba203f3385401b45d8bc093.JPG

Elements of that town's fishing fleet. They are usually out fishing very early in the morning.

A7C06403.thumb.JPG.1ec95c49ff83ea5b38867d6ff1dca369.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re down in Cornwall again and have been very fortunate with the weather so far. Sunday at Kynance Cove was practically the calmest it has been in nearly 20 years of visits. Contrast the sunny photo with calm seas with a photo of the rolling surf taken in February. Both beautiful sights though! 

IMG_4076.jpeg

IMG_3977.jpeg

• Like 5

Lucky you living in the West Country so no too far to travel.  We used to go to Cornwall twice a year as well but have given up because of the distance, and Southampton in a few weeks will be a bit trying.

We regularly go to beautiful North Wales now instead.

image.thumb.jpeg.e78f6ae85ba6a742047071470790e64b.jpeg

Edited by Ray66
  • Like 4

Not sure about ‘the fun show’ - it is a political drama which has significantly raised the profile of the hundreds of postmasters wrongly accused of ‘faulty accounting’ which people still need to be held accountable for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

Not sure about ‘the fun show’ - it is a political drama which has significantly raised the profile of the hundreds of postmasters wrongly accused of ‘faulty accounting’ which people still need to be held accountable for.

I didn't mean to make light of a nightmarish situation.  It is a good TV show, but the story itself is horrifying.  I'm disappointed to hear that the wrongdoers haven't been held accountable yet.  

1 hour ago, alc13 said:

I didn't mean to make light of a nightmarish situation.  It is a good TV show, but the story itself is horrifying.  I'm disappointed to hear that the wrongdoers haven't been held accountable yet.  

We assumed that Mr Bates et al would prevail in the end, too.  Nothing fun in knowing now that the wronged postmasters haven't received full justice.

As someone strongly moved by cruising on the QE past the Gallipoli battle site on the Dardanelles, it’s important we don’t forget ANZAC Day. Especially for @roscoe39and @sfred  Even though it’s already tomorrow with you. Great words too Roscoe on your blog. 

DSCN2347_Original.jpeg

DSCN2348_Original.jpeg

Edited by NE John

4 hours ago, NE John said:

As someone strongly moved by cruising on the QE past the Gallipoli battle site on the Dardanelles, it’s important we don’t forget ANZAC Day. Especially for @roscoe39and @sfred  Even though it’s already tomorrow with you. Great words too Roscoe on your blog. 

DSCN2347_Original.jpeg

DSCN2348_Original.jpeg

thanks NE. Wee have had some terrific ANZAC days onboard the Cunarders over the years, especially those with Commodore Rynd on board. Yesterdays service here on the QV was well done and Tommi the CD snag a a terrific Gallipoli song that bought tears to a number of us in the audience.

https://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.com/2024/04/lest-we-forget-25-april-2024-day-that.html

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1