Fincantieri suspends operations

DCCruiser57

Fincantieri said that following a request from unions, it would suspend production in Italy from March 16 to March 29.  Given the issues in Italy, this will probably be extended.  Not sure what the full impact will be on the delivery of the Moon.

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2020/03/14/fincantieri-suspends-operations-amid-coronavirus-crisis/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Been waiting for this news. We we’re hoping to be on her 2/10 for my 50th.  😞

Let's hope your voyage doesn't become the inaugural.  We all know how those tend to go and your track record after major construction isn't necessarily stellar. 😉

3 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Fincantieri said that following a request from unions, it would suspend production in Italy from March 16 to March 29.  Given the issues in Italy, this will probably be extended.  Not sure what the full impact will be on the delivery of the Moon.

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2020/03/14/fincantieri-suspends-operations-amid-coronavirus-crisis/

It could also impact Silver Origin, but that ship might be completed.

Does anyone know what shipyard Silversea is using for the renovation of the Silver Wind this summer? I found a reference to Valleta, Malta, but don't know the name of the shipyard. We're booked on an Antarctica trip over New Years, so it's still along way off and the state of world travel is unknown -- but any delay in retrofitting the Wind would torpedo us for certain, so I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about that scheduled work to stay ahead of the news we'll get from Silversea. 

3 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

In accordance with a decree from President of the Council of Ministers, the shutdown has been extended to April 3rd.  

For those of us who aren’t familiar with the particular title you reference, what country are you referring to; Cuba, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Italy, Peru, Poland, or the Union State of Russia and Belarus?

11 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

For those of us who aren’t familiar with the particular title you reference, what country are you referring to; Cuba, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Italy, Peru, Poland, or the Union State of Russia and Belarus?

Stumbles,

You're being disingenuous.

We're talking about Fincantieri, of course it's got to be Italy.

(Hardly gonna be Cuba, innit?)

Edited by jollyjones
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Stumbles,

You're being disingenuous.

We're talking about Fincantieri, of course it's got to be Italy.

(Hardly gonna be Cuba, innit?)

Jolly,

No, I wasn't being disingenuous and I'm disappointed you would think such of me.  It was a sincere question.

When I use Cruise Critic on my mobile phone and select "Next Unread Topic", the website takes me to the most recent response.  I have no idea what the forum topic is unless I scroll to the top.  I rarely ever scroll to the top.

So, when I read DCCruiser57's post, I didn't know it was in the "Fincantieri suspends operations" forum topic until you just pointed it out to me in your post.  Since I had never heard of the professional title before, I did a quick Google search to see which countries used it, and then posed my question to DCCruiser57.

• Haha 1

Hi Happy.  I don't think its as bad as it "reads" - almost typed "sounds."  I believe if we could hear the back and forth, there would be no cause for alarm.  & I agree about Stumblefoot being a great example of the helpful people here.

4 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I should have embarked on the Shadow yesterday for the TA. Instead I am trapped on a very small rock in the Atlantic

I feel your pain.  Biggest excitement last week was ordering takeout for lunch.  This week it will be receiving an order from wine.com.  🙂  Better days will get here.

• Like 1

More important, I am worried about JP and others here that work in the medical field.  I've got it easy compared to those heroes on the front line of this thing.  Good news about the rapid test Abbott developed.  But after all of the confusion over the past weeks, I'll hold off judgement till the scientists and doctors have their say about it. 

Edited by QueSeraSera
minor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

This week it will be receiving an order from wine.com.  🙂  Better days will get here.

Yeah, I got a case from our local wine store last weekend too. Made Saturday that much more fun, once I got the text that my order was ready! 🍷 Working this weekend so can't get into it yet. Monday, though, I can't make any promises!

Thanks for your kind comments above. Nothing heroic yet. The people dealing with the outbreak in NY City are doing some heroic work, for sure. I don't know if we could handle that volume here. Hoping that we don't find out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HappyCamper777 said:

I agree. 

While I rarely post, I don't know why jollyjones felt the need to tell Stumblefoot he was being disingenuous.  Even after he responded explaining how he uses the website, it seems jollyjones doesn't believe him, labeling his behavior as bizarre.  Just seems very, very rude and inappropriate to me, especially since I find Stumblefoot to be one of the most sincere and helpful members here in the Silversea forum.

I'd just like to point out that you don't know either of us while Stumble and I have cruised together - a little joking back and forth is quite different with someone you know.

And JP,  being a critical care physician myself (thankfully retired), I can so heartily support your hope that 'you don't find out'.

This is a time of ... well, I'm not sure I can find the right words. Good luck.

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind sentiments, Jolly! Times like these make me wish I'd become a dermatologist or something... 😉  

Did you work CCM in Bermuda or elsewhere? I actually trained in the mid-90s then didn't work ICU at all until I returned to the fold 20 years later, in 2016. Impeccable timing, I guess!

Edited by jpalbny
spacing

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

being a critical care physician myself (thankfully retired), I can so heartily support your hope that 'you don't find out'.

This is a time of ... well, I'm not sure I can find the right words. Good luck.

Barbara,

What is the status on Bermuda?

When I trained back in the mid 70s we were taught all about the big killers, cardiovascular disease and cancer, but we weren't taught much about infectious diseases because 'that'd all been solved by antibiotics'.

Ah, hubris.

I trained in anaesthesiology and when I came to Bermuda over forty years ago there were only four of us to run the ORs and the ICU in our only hospital - no such thing as intensivists then, we had to do everything. I worked the rest of my career here and have been retired for quite a while now; I still love this amazingly beautiful island.

An island that is shut. No way in or out except for our cargo ships and planes (phew, didn't fancy starvation). Tourist industry destroyed, cruise season gone, economy probably shattered. Everything closed - schools, churches, bars, restaurants, shops etc. We are bidden to stay home except for vital journeys. Covid cases increasing steadily to 22 but so far all imported, came in before the airport shut, or close associates of known cases. All incomers for the past 12 days  have been quarantined so we've a few more days yet to see if it's been caught or if it's out there spreading in the community.

At least our Government is taking it seriously, we start a new thing tonight - curfew. Anyone on the roads who is not supposed to be out is subject to $2,800 fine, six months in prison, or both. I'm definitely at home!

No need at the moment. Of our 22 cases, 10 are fully recovered, 2 are in hospital but not needing ventilation, and the rest are isolated at home with mild symptoms. 
Don’t know what the future will bring, we’ll probably run out of equipment before staff. 

Possibly a bit like back in the late 70s and early 80s when we didn't understand what HIV was, and I had to treat a number of young and ostensibly healthy patients with pneumocystis pneumonia. Very scary to watch, and to feel largely helpless.

And you bet I'm staying away. Apart from going out for a walk every day, I haven't been anywhere or seen any friends for weeks now. Did chance a walk to an outdoor farmer's market type stall down the road on Saturday and bought a vast amount of fruit and veg. - fortunately it's high season in Bermuda for growing produce.

Can't remember the last time I started the car!

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2