Holland America Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

With the extreme weather happening in the summer of 2023, we here in the southwest are dealing with very high temps and waiting for rain, while everywhere else is dealing with excess water. Stay safe everyone.

Pittsburgh is under an Air Quality Alert. Our Air quality today was 142 which is a code Orange.  A code ORANGE air quality alert means that air pollution concentrations within the region may become unhealthy for sensitive groups. Sensitive groups include children, the elderly, and people suffering from asthma, heart disease, or other lung diseases. 

17 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Pittsburgh is under an Air Quality Alert. Our Air quality today was 142 which is a code Orange.  A code ORANGE air quality alert means that air pollution concentrations within the region may become unhealthy for sensitive groups. Sensitive groups include children, the elderly, and people suffering from asthma, heart disease, or other lung diseases. 

What is the cause of the poor air quality there, is it from the Canadian wildfires?

• 2 weeks later...

Like a lot of places, we're just hot, dry, and miserable. I am interested, though, in how things are for our neighbors to the north  - I've heard there's now some flooding in places after the fires...? Are the fires all out?

Hope everyone is safe and conditions continue to improve. 

• 3 weeks later...

Northwest Washington State - were about 140 miles south of Vancouver, BC. One day of humid rain last week but now are in a 5-day “heat advisory warning”. Our high is 87 but supposed to drop Friday. Some trees are beginning to turn yellow…

Hurricane Hilary is now a tropical storm hitting the San Diego area with high winds * lots of rain .Because of low areas  flooding ,it is dangerous to  drive .Here on the coast of San Diego we will het most likely 3 inches of rain but ,the inland desert areas will get hit much  worse with flooding ,areas like Palm Springs due to run offs from the mountains

We been in  the low to mis 70s here on the  coast of San Diego county .Have not needed A/C /Feel bad for areas of our country suffering high heat 

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hurricane Hilary is now a tropical storm hitting the San Diego area with high winds * lots of rain .Because of low areas  flooding ,it is dangerous to  drive .Here on the coast of San Diego we will het most likely 3 inches of rain but ,the inland desert areas will get hit much  worse with flooding ,areas like Palm Springs due to run offs from the mountains

We been in  the low to mis 70s here on the  coast of San Diego county .Have not needed A/C /Feel bad for areas of our country suffering high heat 

Stay safe.

I was in San Diego in 2015 and the place was in drought, IIRC.

I'm almost same lattitude South as you are North, also Pacific coastal and have a similar weather. Looks we are heading for a very hot El Nino summer - again.

• 1 month later...

Getting ready for my Grand Africa cruise in a couple of weeks-whoo-hoo😂 BUT just got a Yellow Fever vaccination requirement from HA-I’ve contacted my PC doctor and asked for an exemption letter. My last shot was 9 years ago and I am of a 'certain age’. So we’ll see. Bags are being collected on Wed. so packing -packing and packing😊

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

Getting ready for my Grand Africa cruise in a couple of weeks-whoo-hoo😂 BUT just got a Yellow Fever vaccination requirement from HA-I’ve contacted my PC doctor and asked for an exemption letter. My last shot was 9 years ago and I am of a 'certain age’. So we’ll see. Bags are being collected on Wed. so packing -packing and packing😊

Is HAL requiring it or are they saying which countries are? WHO states "that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine is sufficient to confer sustained immunity and life-long protection against yellow fever disease, and that a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine is not needed;"

We got the vaccine years ago and then later our Infectous Disease doctor signed our Yellow Card saying we were exempt due to age.

11 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

No they just said it might be required in certain countries and that upon  presenting an MD’s exemption a decision will be made then. Go Figure🤨

Sounds like a CYA statement. Take your Yellow card and exemption letter and you'll be fine. Enjoy your adventure.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:22 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Like a lot of places, we're just hot, dry, and miserable. I am interested, though, in how things are for our neighbors to the north  - I've heard there's now some flooding in places after the fires...? Are the fires all out?

Hope everyone is safe and conditions continue to improve. 

The fires won't be diminished -- not extinguished -- until the snow falls later this month and in November. Forest fires can, and do, survive for months or years below ground in root systems, coal seams, or beat bogs, and then can flare up again when and if good conditions arise...and that's not even counting new sources of ignition. 

This past week is the first time since early May that there hasn't been a thick yellowish gray pall over us. Two weeks ago the air quality was so bad that visibility was nil and it was difficulty to take a deep breath indoors without gagging. 

56 degrees north in northwestern Alberta.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David_S29 said:

The fires won't be diminished -- not extinguished -- until the snow falls later this month and in November. Forest fires can, and do, survive for months or years below ground in root systems, coal seams, or beat bogs, and then can flare up again when and if good conditions arise...and that's not even counting new sources of ignition. 

This past week is the first time since early May that there hasn't been a thick yellowish gray pall over us. Two weeks ago the air quality was so bad that visibility was nil and it was difficulty to take a deep breath indoors without gagging. 

56 degrees north in northwestern Alberta.

Oh that's awful - thanks for the education and update. Will continue to hope for improvement for you.

• Like 1