Holland America Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

• 2 weeks later...

Not good here in Australia as Covid has taken off in a big way this week in all states except Western Australia. Omicron is now the dominant strain as  governments try to cope with the surge for testing and booster shots to mimimise the impact…but been caught short everywhere.

If this continues into the new year at current levels then cruise ship ban will be extended even further which will hurt Princess, Carnival and P&O Australia meaning cruises within Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands will be curtailed.

let’s keep our fingers crossed that cruises will be resumed by end Winter

(August)

We got our booster three weeks ago. Our family Christmas has been cancelled, there are 21 of us, other then going shopping for groceries we stay at home. Hoping the new year looks better then the past year.

• 3 weeks later...

We live about 20 miles east of Seattle. Between Christmas and New Year's, we had a total of 10 or 11 inches of snow with temps in the teens at night and the 20s at night. After the holidays it melted very quickly because of the 6.5 inches of rain in ten days. COVID's omicron variant ramped up in late December but is now starting to tail off. I just ordered my free test kits (01/18/22) from the gov't. (www.COVIDTests.gov). Personally, nobody I know directly has had or tested positive for COVID since March 2020. I go out to lunch (masked) after exercising at our Community Center (masked). We cruised on Rotterdam in Dec. (1-12) masked. No big deal with that. No COVID on the cruise. No norovirus either.

COVID running rampant in Los Angeles County, recent deaths averaging 42 per day. Serious, not as bad in Orange County. Several friends have had it despite receiving all 3 shots. Fortunately, did not require hospitalization. Hope things improve by end of the month.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Bomb Cyclone is creating a blizzard in Truro, Cape Cod, MA today.  Wind is blowing at 40mph, with gusts to 70mph.  Atlantic Ocean is raging.  Owners of a cottage on the bluff above the ocean has been trying to get Town’s permission to move it, for the second time.  Folks are wondering what will happen to it today.

image.png.f03d78d6fd86e5bb495b66d74c8eceed.png  

image.png

Edited by Jim9310
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

A Bomb Cyclone is creating a blizzard in Truro, Cape Cod, MA today.  Wind is blowing at 40mph, with gusts to 70mph.  Atlantic Ocean is raging.  Owners of a cottage on the bluff above the ocean have been trying to get Town’s permission to move it, for the second time.  Folks are wondering what will happen to it today.

Today's morning high tide.  Dark water is where normal high tide ends.  Additional water is storm surge due to Nor'easter.

Blaine Bershad 🌈🌊🌊🎵🐝🆘 #NotMeUs on Twitter

Edited by Jim9310
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Today's morning high tide.  Dark water is where normal high tide ends.  Additional water is storm surge due to Nor'easter.

Blaine Bershad 🌈🌊🌊🎵🐝🆘 #NotMeUs on Twitter

Wow. Thanks for posting the pictures. It doesn’t look like it’s going to last much longer. Very sad for the homeowners.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Wow. Thanks for posting the pictures. It doesn’t look like it’s going to last much longer. Very sad for the homeowners.

Amazingly, it survived yesterday's Nor'easter/Blizzard.  Morning photo reveals that banks have eroded further.

image.png.b0c83df84b482d1497bf66e5035259a1.png

Edited by Jim9310
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

Amazingly, it survived yesterday's Nor'easter/Blizzard.  Morning photo reveals that banks have eroded further.

image.png.b0c83df84b482d1497bf66e5035259a1.png

Wow.  Amazing is right.  I am loving your pictures.  It must be so awesome to live so close to the sea that you can wander down to take them.  Such a beautiful sunrise.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Wow.  Amazing is right.  I am loving your pictures.  It must be so awesome to live so close to the sea that you can wander down to take them.  Such a beautiful sunrise.  Thank you.

Someone's photo was posted on Town site.  Not a day for wandering.

• Thanks 1

Today is 2 Feb, temp is +3C (34F) and it's raining, by this afternoon it's calling for snow and freezing temp. The roads tonight & tomorrow are going to be a mess. Glad we don't have to go out for the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 6:30 AM, ski ww said:

Doesn't look like it will survive another one, the power of the sea, great pictures thanks for posting.  

HOUSE WINS, ATLANTIC OCEAN LOSES, THIS TIME!  Ballston Beach house temporarily moved yesterday.  Further plans not resolved yet. Photo posted last night by person watching the project underway.

image.png.181f3cdae26b60c0008ff1b88bae22c9.png

Edited by Jim9310
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

HOUSE WINS, ATLANTIC OCEAN LOSES, THIS TIME!  Ballston Beach house temporarily moved yesterday.  Further plans not resolved yet. Photo posted last night by person watching the project underway.

image.png.181f3cdae26b60c0008ff1b88bae22c9.png

I was wondering why no one thought of moving it away from the shore.  I'm excited that they are trying to salvage it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is just my opinion, of course, but maybe it's time to unpin this thread from the board?  We have long been out of crisis mode, and most of us are just living our lives, with or without permission from others.  

Again, just my opinion.  But I believe my opinion matters as much as anyone else's opinion on this board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:08 AM, mightycruisequeen said:

This is just my opinion, of course, but maybe it's time to unpin this thread from the board?  We have long been out of crisis mode, and most of us are just living our lives, with or without permission from others.  

Again, just my opinion.  But I believe my opinion matters as much as anyone else's opinion on this board.

Agree 100%!