The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

A variation on a theme.  For a long time now, Naval Architects have hated the idea of a "free swimming" propeller and rudder. There have been Flanking Rudders, Kort Nozzles (as well as other type nozzles), and any number of bottom shaping techniques.  There were even the notorious Grim Wheels attached to the propellers of the QE2 early in her career.  Ugly, weird, and a failure.  One thing is for certain.  There are some things better left out of reach of Ragnars........  Raggy, step away from the controls......😎

Then they had the Becker high lift rudder, where the trailing flap was secured by bolts inserted from below and capped by a nut. When the nut vibrated loose, the pin dropped out and the flap fell off.

Fortunately, I handed the ship over and this happened on her next departure.😁

So the picture below is supposed to be from Viking Venus (in Portsmouth). Appears to be of the upper level of Explorer’s Lounge. Can one od you who spent lots of time upstairs confirm my belief that this picture appears to confirm no planetarium?

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

So the picture below is supposed to be from Viking Venus (in Portsmouth). Appears to be of the upper level of Explorer’s Lounge. Can one od you who spent lots of time upstairs confirm my belief that this picture appears to confirm no planetarium?

Oops, no picture.

26 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Love how they  have the couch  with signs for social distancing for couples. 

Well done. 

Which sort of brings a question..  I can't see social distancing working unless there is reduced capacity.  Anyone heard anything solid about passenger counts?  And if there is reduced capacity then one would think they don't need  a full crew compliment.  Reduced service?  Close one of the bars?😱  It will be interesting to get some "live" reports here once the cruises start.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

It will be interesting to get some "live" reports here once the cruises start.

We are on the first Iceland cruise, on Saturday, June 26.  It will be my distinct pleasure to go up to the explorers lounge, grab a glass of wine, and say, It’s Saturday night Live, and here’s what we see and know!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

It will be interesting to get some "live" reports here once the cruises start.

There will be a "Live" thread for this one. Santafe1 will be reporting on week 1, I'm for week 2, Clay is week 3 and week 4 is Liz (can't remember her handle). Of course, we are hoping that everyone on the roll calls will share what they learn.

You will be able to join our 'adventures' vicariously, 😉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Which sort of brings a question..  I can't see social distancing working unless there is reduced capacity.  Anyone heard anything solid about passenger counts?  And if there is reduced capacity then one would think they don't need  a full crew compliment.  Reduced service?  Close one of the bars?😱  It will be interesting to get some "live" reports here once the cruises start.

I have only once seen the Explorer’s Lounge anywhere close to full-that was the midnight party when we passed Gilbraltar. Next most was when they held a music trivia events there on our Asian cruise. But even then it was probably only 50% full. 

7 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I have only once seen the Explorer’s Lounge anywhere close to full-

But I bet relatively few here have seen it where people were sliding all the way from one side of the lounge to the other on those nice comfy chairs! Actually was (at first anyway) strangely humorous. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

But I bet relatively few here have seen it where people were sliding all the way from one side of the lounge to the other on those nice comfy chairs! Actually was (at first anyway) strangely humorous. 

Well at least live and in person thank goodness!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

There will be a "Live" thread for this one. Santafe1 will be reporting on week 1, I'm for week 2, Clay is week 3 and week 4 is Liz (can't remember her handle). Of course, we are hoping that everyone on the roll calls will share what they learn.

You will be able to join our 'adventures' vicariously, 😉

I know that Clay's "live" report will be on Instagram.  Where will the others be reporting?

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Well at least live and in person thank goodness!

Clay..that was an amazingly quick reply 😳  Yes...it was just....weird. Looked like fun actually. My brother still tells me he's so jealous of me having been yanked off that ship. He was in 'Nam and took part in situations where guys had to be airlifted out of the bush, etc. and apparently always wondered what it was like to be pulled up into a helicopter. Told him next time around he can gladly fill in for me. 😆

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I have only once seen the Explorer’s Lounge anywhere close to full-that was the midnight party when we passed Gilbraltar. Next most was when they held a music trivia events there on our Asian cruise. But even then it was probably only 50% full. 

But these are SUCH different times—and with all the pent up demand (and the drinks being mixed in THIS Explorer’s Lounge), I think there will be a LOT of people camped out there on ship. 😉 

• Like 2

Just now, LindaS272 said:

But these are SUCH different times—and with all the pent up demand (and the drinks being mixed in THIS Explorer’s Lounge), I think there will be a LOT of people camped out there on ship. 😉 

I suspect it will be like most cruises and folks spread out everywhere. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

I know that Clay's "live" report will be on Instagram.  Where will the others be reporting?

While santafe1 is busy packing, I'm going to open a "Live" thread here on Cruise Critic, in the Viking Oceans forum, on June 21 or so. We have a few people who are departing early for the first sailing and they will be able to report their airport experience.  One thread for the whole experience.

As far as I know, Clay has said that he would post there during week three, just so we are sure we have at least one person doing it. But, of course, everyone who wants to report their cruise experiences or ask questions of those on board is welcome/invited/urged to do so.

The more "boots on the ground" information that we can generate the better, especially since I expect things to be changing from week to week as Viking understands how these things actually work with real guests ("herding cats"  comes to mind).

Once it is opened, I'll post a link in all of the roll calls plus the general thread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

No I’m gonna be live reporting here. Probably more pictures on IG with less narrative and less related to the procedures that will be important to fellow cruisers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

While santafe1 is busy packing, I'm going to open a "Live" thread here on Cruise Critic, in the Viking Oceans forum, on June 21 or so. We have a few people who are departing early for the first sailing and they will be able to report their airport experience.  One thread for the whole experience.

Thanks - I'm not on any of the Welcome Back cruises, but I'm really interested in what all of you "intrepid explorers" will learn!

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

No I’m gonna be live reporting here. Probably more pictures on IG with less narrative and less related to the procedures that will be important to fellow cruisers

I'll be watching both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wonderful!  I'm not on IG, and was hoping I wouldn't miss your narrative.  

• Like 1

Assuming I am ever sober enough, and find the time and energy, where should I “blog” about the June 15th “guinea pig” cruise at Bermuda?  Here, or on the general Bermuda thread, or on a separate topic?  Don’t expect many photos.  Especially selfies :-0

Assuming I do the blog, it will likelt start with the trials and tribulations of meeting Bermuda’s stringent pre-arrival testing requirements.  And end with me kissing the ground when back in Kalifornia.

PS - And don’t expect it to be politically correct.  It will likely not be suitable for sensitive folk.  Dear moderators, I beg your leniency in advance (just be glad I am not ho-hum....).

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2