The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

I look forward to actually reading a book I find on the Viking Venus in October. I wonder if guest relations has a category guide of the various bookcases ? Other Eusebius will spend a hour or so looking at them on living room and Explorer lounge . I always like to read about the places we see, history or biographies or fiction set in the locale..

this cruise I am not bringing a carry on , just one checked bag and big purse with zipper for under my seat . 

Just now, Azulann said:

I look forward to actually reading a book I find on the Viking Venus in October. I wonder if guest relations has a category guide of the various bookcases ? Other Eusebius will spend a hour or so looking at them on living room and Explorer lounge . I always like to read about the places we see, history or biographies or fiction set in the locale..

this cruise I am not bringing a carry on , just one checked bag and big purse with zipper for under my seat . 

The Cruise Director has a list of all books aboard listing the title and author, and where they are meant to be located around the various ship libraries. Each book has a label showing which library it is assigned to.

With the honour system, many books are returned to a different location, as we found out while assisting the cruise staff with the book inventory on the Sun.

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

The Cruise Director has a list of all books aboard listing the title and author, and where they are meant to be located around the various ship libraries. Each book has a label showing which library it is assigned to.

With the honour system, many books are returned to a different location, as we found out while assisting the cruise staff with the book inventory on the Sun.

Oh that is fantastic !!!

thank you so much for the information. 😍

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:48 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Easier?  Is it even possible?

Yes but they have to be digital rights management (DRM) free. Some books are. Kindle books are in MOBI format (inherited when Amazon bought Mobipocket, an early ebook provider based in France). One provider of DRM free books, if you're into SciFi -  is Baen Books, which sells ebooks in whatever format you need - EPUB, MOBI, etc plus hardcover and paperbacks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have my dry gin martini in hand. Looking out at sea  that is visible from the  Orion web cam. That ship is on their first sea day  looking forward to a great sunset.

Dreaming about  sitting here in October watching the Med Sea as we sail to the next port. 

I am also waiting for my virtual turndown service later... and dinner  served with a smile ...

How is everyone  here this evening?  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Also having an evening cocktail and dreaming of next year's WC.  My Chef here expects me to wash the dishes.  That's just not right....🍸

At least you have a chef. Mine  is still on the Orion.

BTW, when does your WC begin and on which Viking Ship? I so loved  following the first WC thread  you were on ,here on Viking forum.And also some  folks who had a personal blog too.

Edited by Azulann

Just now, CharTrav said:

The rule we've lived by for our entire marriage is whoever makes dinner doesn't wash the dishes and vice versa. 😁

We do exactly the same thing.  Which means it is usually me cooking, and him washing up, but not always!

• Like 4

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

We do exactly the same thing.  Which means it is usually me cooking, and him washing up, but not always!

Ours is pretty even. We alternate nights. And I have no problem at all with mac&cheese with hot dogs and peas. 😁  For the past few years while my cooking has gotten less ambitious, his has made great leaps esp in the baking realm. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I'm a better dish washer than cook..

You're reminding me of an experience many years ago when I was at the beginning of a 16 wk research participation program  during my last year in college and was discussing with my roommate what I thought would be a reasonable arrangement regarding meals. I suggested the kind of arrangement my husband and I have. To which she replied she didn't think it fair at all. When I asked why, she replied because it wouldn't be fair to me. She didn't know how to cook. So we agreed that I'd cook and she'd wash the dishes. Worked out great. 😁

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I recognize that this is a virtual explorers lounge, but would anyone mind if I wore my old blue jeans with paint splatter?

Nice response @Hockeyyump, definitely no Baseball caps!

Personally I am really glad that this whole area of dress code has been raised again as it is obviously such an important area of vital, significant and extensive discussion :classic_wink:

From my point of view I am happy for people to virtually wear whatever they wish. However, in turn, I reserve the right to dress them as I wish in my own very active imagination.

As a result @PasadenaDave now sports a classic "little black dress" which may or may not be totally appropriate......but this is my mind and I'm sticking to it.

Other suggestions anyone 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Okay, hopefully it’s safe to ask this here…

DH and I have our first Viking Ocean cruise booked for 2023, with final payment in December.  However, I’ve been reading the “jeans to dinner” thread, and a couple of similar threads on FB, and many of the supposedly long-time Viking cruisers that are posting are harsh, downright mean even.

We have been avoiding Regent because of the level of dress required and the snob factor of many of the cruisers, and thought Viking might be a good alternative.  We can live with “smart casual” dress on occasion, and we really like the itineraries and the look of the ships.  I’m just worried now that we are going to get stuck on a ship full of snobs who criticize everyone else’s wardrobes.

Thoughts?  Is the tone on those dress code threads reflective of the majority of Viking travelers?

1 minute ago, bookbabe said:

Okay, hopefully it’s safe to ask this here…

DH and I have our first Viking Ocean cruise booked for 2023, with final payment in December.  However, I’ve been reading the “jeans to dinner” thread, and a couple of similar threads on FB, and many of the supposedly long-time Viking cruisers that are posting are harsh, downright mean even.

We have been avoiding Regent because of the level of dress required and the snob factor of many of the cruisers, and thought Viking might be a good alternative.  We can live with “smart casual” dress on occasion, and we really like the itineraries and the look of the ships.  I’m just worried now that we are going to get stuck on a ship full of snobs who criticize everyone else’s wardrobes.

Thoughts?  Is the tone on those dress code threads reflective of the majority of Viking travelers?

No!  it is not.  Now I support not looking like a street person in the dining room and specialty places but I have actually seen a man in the World Cafe in his cabin robe and flip flops.......  So happy he was not wearing a ball cap...😱

• Like 3
  • Haha 2