Queen Victoria current location

Solent Richard

12 minutes ago, Happyboating said:

In that case I might drive to Walberswick tomorrow afternoon to see what photos I can get from there - it’s the opposite side of the river to Southwold. ...

PS: when I logged on, just now, I notice that I’ve got some “messages” (or something) from some of you but I have no idea what as I have no idea how to open them. Sorry, but I’m really not good with technology!

Hi, Happyboating. QV should be there off Southwold until some time on July15th. She is currently scheduled to be back in Southampton at 8:00am on July 16th. I'm looking forward to any additional photos you may be able to take tomorrow.

I suspect the "messages" you got may have simply been notifications that some of us either "liked" your post or quoted it in a reply. Since I have quoted part of your last post in this reply, that may generate another notification like that which may look like it's a message from me. The messaging facility is disabled within Cruise Critic for us end users, so you won't be getting any additional messages from any of us other than the posts you see here.

Hi Bluemarble, thank you for the explanation on how the site works now - it’s clearly changed since I last logged in a couple of years ago!  When you and Solent Richard quoted my post the system did actually send me an email although I still had to figure out how to open it and I’d never noticed the heart on each post which I now realise is equivalent to the thumbs up on Facebook although I’ve never sign up for any social media so have never actually used it. 

Don’t laugh but when I retired I treated myself to a new car - my last new car was in 2004 and it drove like the one I had before except that the new one was much smarter and had a lovely “new car” smell. I’m telling you, this new car is totally different to my old one!  Funnily enough, one of my first trips out in it was to Southwold, and I noticed the car in front of me suddenly swerve and, because I didn’t, I hit a pothole!  Well, I’d never heard anything like it, my new car started SCREAMING and lights started flashing on the dash and, to be honest, I was quite alarmed at what was happening. With my old car I’d pull over, check the tyres, give them a good kick to make sure I hadn’t lost any obvious pressure and then carry on my way - with this new car I had to take it back to the main dealer for them to check the tyre pressures and reset the computer!  Don’t get me wrong, I love it as all I have to do is get in, start the engine, put it into gear and go - if it’s dark, or even dull, the lights automatically switch on, if it rains, the wipers automatically switch on and I can set the speed limit so it automatically only goes up to that speed. It also automatically slows down if the vehicle in front slows. All great EXCEPT common sense tells me that, at some point, my “smart” car will malfunction and I’ll end up shortening someone else’s boot!!!!!!!  I already dread the day I’m going to have to say to someone “I’m really sorry but my “smart” car should have stopped!”.  The electronic brake took some getting used to too because if you brake too hard it assumes you want to STOP, and does so.  My husband won’t drive it because he says he doesn’t want the car anticipating what he wants to do!  I guess, once it’s out of warranty, I’ll buy an older one again - apparently my husband can’t even change the brakes because it needs to be plugged into a computer whilst you’re changing them. I concede it’s probably not for me as I’m not technical enough - it’s got an iPad type screen in the centre which should have given me a clue!  It’ll be 2 years old in October and it hasn’t done 6,000 miles yet but I’ll take it for a drive later.

Anyway, high tide is at 17.55 this evening so the ship should be sitting high in the water and so I’ll go and see what photos I can get. We actually think that, in reality, she’s probably about 3 miles offshore but if I can get the right angle it’ll look like she’s in the town and dwarfing the houses.  I’m just hoping that some of the fishermen have caught some lobster that I can have for supper.

plotted her lat/long onto one of my charts for the area which puts her between 1.3 and 1.4 NM offshore depending on her swing and whether tide or wind rode 

went yesterday to see her and stayed for some time just thinking past and hopefully future cruises with her

all cabins appeared to have curtains closed and crew were visible on deck 3

On 7/14/2020 at 10:19 PM, Happyboating said:

We then drove round to Walberswick and took this in the last of the sunlight.  Sorry for the pile of clothing on the beach but a couple of people were swimming. 

63232D2B-D875-4C2F-A643-C6643ED270D7.thumb.jpeg.866e04f7f85c418c8f14b1156b280d90.jpeg

Good morning Happy Boating.

Pleased to report that Queen Victoria passed Solent Towers at 0640 this morning on her way into Southampton.

Track n Trace working well between us. 😁 😁...

2098594014_PassingLee116July2020.jpg.4cbd3af50be69770579eec815af2ddde.jpg

• Like 1

Solent Richard - perfect photo. A shame you couldn’t get to Southwold!

To be fair, I wouldn’t have known that the QV was on the East Coast until I saw her on the local news one night and then I took a screenshot on my iPad and posted it and, to be fair, I was amazed that it worked.  It was nice to see her though - we watched her turn round with the changing of the tide on Tuesday evening before we went to Walberswick. 

I probably won’t log on again now unless I see another news report relating to a Cunard ship being in the area. 

Happy sailing to all, when things get back to normal, and happy dreaming until then.

• Like 1

Queen Victoria is back in Southampton at the Ocean Cruise Terminal today. It can be seen from the bridge cam of the Norwegian Star, which is docked at QEII Cruise Terminal. (this is jus as the QM2 was yesterday)

fullsize-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I haven't been paying close enough attention to QV's location. She has been off Teignmouth for the past couple days now. Here's a link to a shot of QV from the Teignmouth Railcam included in a July 24th article titled "Huge luxury Queen Victoria cruise liner off Devon coast" posted on the DevonLive website.

https://i2-prod.devonlive.com/incoming/article4362204.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_vicJPG.jpg

All three queens are now off the southern coast of England but all in different locations at the movement.

QV off Teignmouth

QM2 in Weymouth Bay

QE headed for Poole

I am booked on my first Cunard cruise,  for October next year on QV, so it’s good to see where she  is at the moment.

i booked this cruise when it was first announced last year. In the current environment in seems crazy that I booked 2 years in advance, but this is a special cruise for our 40th wedding anniversary.

At the moment I find it difficult to believe that I’ll ever step on a cruise ship again. Hopefully there’ll be some clarity by this time next year. 

A perfect backdrop to our balcony breakfast this morning was Queen Victoria glided past on her way into Southampton...

975287392_QueenVictoria730July2020.jpg.c1c1a9b180bed2eeec64c844aa14a0e7.jpg

She is scheduled to sail out again this evening. Sounds like a good opportunity for a socially distanced drinks reception on the balcony.

19 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

A perfect backdrop to our balcony breakfast this morning was Queen Victoria glided past on her way into Southampton...

975287392_QueenVictoria730July2020.jpg.c1c1a9b180bed2eeec64c844aa14a0e7.jpg

She is scheduled to sail out again this evening. Sounds like a good opportunity for a socially distanced drinks reception on the balcony.

And sure enough, there we were yesterday evening enjoying pre-dinner cocktails with Queen Victoria as an atmospheric backdrop...

1696461567_Cocktails1July2020.jpg.5bb3143e4b72f31b0e6c1738dd6ad56b.jpg

1705914013_QueenVictoria830July2020.jpg.b87d955ed492cad11496bfc65cbb5436.jpg

Until the next time...

Rarely do we have sight of a cruise ship living as we do a couple of miles from the furthest point east -Lowestoft. So it was with some disbelief a week or so back to be strolling the beach at Pakefield when through the binoculars there she was -the QV anchored about a mile or so offshore.

It meant something special to us as our most memorable cruise was on the QV when we visited 18 ports of call in 25 days a year or so back......

• Like 2

Hello all 

I hope everyone is safe and well. It’s been a while since I posted on this forum. It’s good to be back! 

I took the photos attached from Bournemouth beach two weeks ago. Sadly I only had my iPhone so they are not the best quality and I had limited zoom. 

Questions: is this QE or QV? Either way, how do you know. 

Thanks in advance! 

AF

D2D27CE8-6499-43D0-9F9C-84ED61FC928F.jpeg

4B0907FC-9586-4AA6-9783-2964C08424CB.jpeg

B21DACA4-17B2-4223-9F04-A26581C314AC.jpeg

30C6E72E-AF24-40B8-B4D5-762890612FE9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

... Questions: is this QE or QV? Either way, how do you know. ...

Based on the date you stated as two weeks ago for when those photos were taken at Bournemouth, that's probably QV since QE has only been back in UK waters since July 24th and I believe she first arrived at Bournemouth the morning of July 27th (6 days ago).

One subtle difference between QE and QV I've noticed is in their aft profiles. It's a little hard to explain, but QE appears to have a continuous gentle slope at the aft extending from decks 4 to 8. After her 2017 refit, QV appears to have more of a stutter-step profile at the aft where there's a slope in the profile between decks 4 and 5, but then decks 5 and 6 look like they are almost in vertical alignment with each other, and then the profile slopes away again from decks 6 to 8.

The photos you have attached look like they have that stutter-step aft profile which also indicates to me that's probably QV.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Hello all 

I hope everyone is safe and well. It’s been a while since I posted on this forum. It’s good to be back! 

I took the photos attached from Bournemouth beach two weeks ago. Sadly I only had my iPhone so they are not the best quality and I had limited zoom. 

Questions: is this QE or QV? Either way, how do you know. 

Thanks in advance! 

AF

D2D27CE8-6499-43D0-9F9C-84ED61FC928F.jpeg

4B0907FC-9586-4AA6-9783-2964C08424CB.jpeg

B21DACA4-17B2-4223-9F04-A26581C314AC.jpeg

30C6E72E-AF24-40B8-B4D5-762890612FE9.jpeg

Well done you, so many folk can't be bothered with photographs but they are worth a thousand words.

6 minutes ago, Matelot70 said:

According to Marine traffic all 3 Queens are finally together again - in Weymouth Bay.  Wish I was still yachting in that area!

Thanks for that. I see QE arrived at Weymouth about 10:00 this morning to join QV and QM2. Hoping to see some pictures/videos of all three queens together there.

Here's my updated list of all the times when the three queens have met. This meeting, under unfortunate circumstances and without the fanfare of some of the previous meetings, will probably be for multiple days, but I'll document when they first met at Weymouth for now anyway.

13 Jan 2011 - New York City

05 Jun 2012 - Southampton

13 Jul 2012 - Southampton

06 May 2014 - Lisbon

09 May 2014 - Southampton

03 May 2015 - Southampton

25 May 2015 - Liverpool

10 Jan 2016 - Southampton

10 May 2016 - Southampton

23 Jun 2016 - Southampton

10 Aug 2018 - Southampton

11 Aug 2019 - Southampton