Queen Victoria current location

Solent Richard

That's interesting. QV left Weymouth about four hours ago and is showing Dover for her destination with an estimated arrival time of 18:30 (May 26th). Not sure why she would be heading to Dover. It's not like she needs to meet up with any of the P&O ships that have been laying up there on occasion since they were all just together in Weymouth.

19 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That's interesting. QV left Weymouth about four hours ago and is showing Dover for her destination with an estimated arrival time of 18:30 (May 26th). Not sure why she would be heading to Dover. It's not like she needs to meet up with any of the P&O ships that have been laying up there on occasion since they were all just together in Weymouth.

Ah, I see now. Dover apparently was just an indication of an intermediate point on QV's route. QV turned around a few hours ago after sailing east about as far as Dover and is now heading back west showing Portland as her destination.

I found another youtube video showing the seven cruise ships at Weymouth from a couple days ago. It's on the channel for a UK site called "Cruise Capital" that I was not aware of before. I wasn't sure if Cruise Capital might be considered a competing site to Cruise Critic since it says it's "a source for cruise news, reviews and, images." I sent an e-mail to "help@cruisecritic.com" asking about it and have received a reply stating it's fine to post the link to their video on this forum. So, here goes. This video mentions QV in its subtitle and includes a few close-ups of QV.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 9:27 PM, bluemarble said:

Ah, I see now. Dover apparently was just an indication of an intermediate point on QV's route. QV turned around a few hours ago after sailing east about as far as Dover and is now heading back west showing Portland as her destination.

Heading into the choke point of the busiest shipping lane in the world while showing your destination as somewhere roughly 200 miles west of your position would presumably be regarded as at least careless. Her destination as I write is Southampton so the musical chairs are continuing...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a screen shot of QV leaving Southampton this evening as seen on the Cowes Yachting webcam at "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk". She's reporting her destination as "GBPOR" which marinetraffic has been interpreting as "Portsmouth". Presumably her true destination is Portland. She won't be there long though since Southampton VTS is showing her back in Southampton on June 24th.

970730073_QVCowesYachting21-June-2020.jpg.af1f62cda061312bc55123d492c14847.jpg

• Like 1

Here's my contribution for today showing QV near Cowes from "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk". Lots of pleasure craft out today and one managed to make it into this shot.

1188134133_QVCowesYachting24-June-2020.jpg.1c2e1b96eeb04ac824162bf4393f0a18.jpg

QV is currently reporting Poole as her destination. She's due back in Southampton on Friday.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Just now, bluemarble said:

Here's my contribution for today showing QV near Cowes from "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk". Lot's of pleasure craft out today and one managed to make it into this shot.

1188134133_QVCowesYachting24-June-2020.jpg.1c2e1b96eeb04ac824162bf4393f0a18.jpg

QV is currently reporting Poole as her destination.

Escellent. She was in the bay here at the weekend.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Escellent. She was in the bay here at the weekend.

Thanks for that. I hadn't been paying close enough attention. I see there's a photo spread of the ships including QV at Bournemouth this past weekend found here on the website for the Bournemouth Echo.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18531178.ventura-queen-victoria-aurora-arcadia-ships-off-bournemouth/#gallery2 

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I haven't been paying close enough attention to QV's whereabouts. When I last watched her depart Southampton on the Isle of Wight webcams during the afternoon of July 2nd, she was headed to Poole/Bournemouth. And her past track shows she was there until the afternoon of July 3rd.

Since then she sailed to Southwold/Lowestoft which is where she has been since the morning of July 4th, apparently in the company of about 20 tankers. I can't say I'm familiar with that area on the coast of Suffolk. I don't suppose they usually get too many cruise ships there.

• Thanks 1

A spokesman for Cunard said: “Queen Victoria moved to Lowestoft over the weekend owing to the weather conditions in the Poole anchorage.

“The ship is currently planned to remain there until July 15 2020. and we would like to extend our thanks to the port authorities in Lowestoft for enabling us to be there, especially as we are celebrating Cunard’s 180th birthday this weekend.”

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/cruise-ship-with-no-guests-laid-up-off-lowestoft-1-6732782

• Like 1

QV repositioned a few miles to the south yesterday afternoon. Here's what her past track looks like. A rather circuitous route around the fleet of tankers to end up off Southwold, only 6 NM from where she started. That's where she remains this evening.

1289438190_QVPastTrack2020-07-07.thumb.png.9bee19856cab504e03f9031b427ccb84.png

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 12:16 AM, Ray66 said:

A spokesman for Cunard said: “Queen Victoria moved to Lowestoft over the weekend owing to the weather conditions in the Poole anchorage.

“The ship is currently planned to remain there until July 15 2020. and we would like to extend our thanks to the port authorities in Lowestoft for enabling us to be there, especially as we are celebrating Cunard’s 180th birthday this weekend.”

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/cruise-ship-with-no-guests-laid-up-off-lowestoft-1-6732782

It was windy here at the weekend, but does anyone think this explanation is credible or even plausible, given that other ships were still here?

To be honest I wish I’d taken a photo from the Golf Club road as then you could have seen the town, on the left, and how close the ship is anchored to it - just outside, and to the left, of the entrance to the harbour. We didn’t actually realise it was there so it was a nice surprise to see it.  We then wondered if it was lit up at night - that would have been a really nice photo.  Obviously, I only have a very old phone but someone with a nice camera could get some really nice photos - there’s a car park by the entrance to the harbour which only cost £1 an hour between 8-6. The golf club road is at the other end of the harbour and takes you back to the High Street across the golf course. Obviously we drove up there for a fish & chip supper - just before high tide you can watch the fishing boats coming back in and unloading their catch. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Happyboating said:

To be honest I wish I’d taken a photo from the Golf Club road as then you could have seen the town, on the left, and how close the ship is anchored to it - just outside, and to the left, of the entrance to the harbour. We didn’t actually realise it was there so it was a nice surprise to see it.  We then wondered if it was lit up at night - that would have been a really nice photo.  Obviously, I only have a very old phone but someone with a nice camera could get some really nice photos - there’s a car park by the entrance to the harbour which only cost £1 an hour between 8-6. The golf club road is at the other end of the harbour and takes you back to the High Street across the golf course. Obviously we drove up there for a fish & chip supper - just before high tide you can watch the fishing boats coming back in and unloading their catch. 

I see she is still parked over there today. Well done you at least giving it a go. 

In that case I might drive to Walberswick tomorrow afternoon to see what photos I can get from there - it’s the opposite side of the river to Southwold. You can also see QV, as large as life, from where the A12 at Blythesborough crosses the river. In fact it’s hard to believe that we didn’t see her yesterday afternoon but we simply weren’t looking for her! We thought we might have a bite to eat and then “maybe” go up to Lowestoft to see if we could find her there so, trust me, it was a truly lovely surprise to see her at the end of the harbour road in Southwold. Obviously it would be much nicer for everyone to see her in perspective to the town - I remember stopping at a village on a Norwegian Fjords tour a few years back, on the QM2, and being surprised at how large the ship was compared to the buildings in the village. So, bearing in mind that I only have an old phone, with a small camera, I’ll give it a go, tomorrow. Mind you, having said that, even if I went shopping tomorrow morning and purchased a camera I probably wouldn’t be able to post “large” photos, whatever that means - in any event I definitely wouldn’t know how to shrink them!  A large boat is also being transported along the A12 to Lowestoft tomorrow, according to the local paper, so I’ll go up later in the afternoon to avoid the chaos that’s going to cause.

PS: when I logged on, just now, I notice that I’ve got some “messages” (or something) from some of you but I have no idea what as I have no idea how to open them. Sorry, but I’m really not good with technology!

• Like 1