This from Oceania today

Jancruz

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

May 10 was (is?) the end date for the CDC's "no public gatherings of over 50 people" advisory.

Both RCI & Carnival announced the date to be May 14 - I wish NCL would have followed.

59 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

That seems pretty low to me so I looked it up.  I count 12. 

Regatta- April 14, May 2
Insignia- May 9th
Nautica- April 13, May 1
Sirena- April 11, April 25, May 5
Marina- May 1
Riveria- April 19, April 29, May 9

Thanks. When I look it up on the website, I no longer see the April 11/13/14 journeys.

Maybe they had already removed these early ones? Nor do I see Nautica May 1 or Insignia May 9.

Whatever the number, I'm sure it will get bigger before this is over.

Edited by CanEcosse

24 minutes ago, CanEcosse said:

Thanks. When I look it up on the website, I no longer see the April 11/13/14 journeys.

Maybe they had already removed these early ones? Nor do I see Nautica May 1 or Insignia May 9.

Whatever the number, I'm sure it will get bigger before this is over.

Yes, agree on both points.

I *thought* I had posted this already but maybe in the previous on-going thread, they become muddled at times. Or maybe just me thinking I had.  This was O's blurb:

The suspended voyages will be:

Riviera – April 19, April 29 and May 9, 2020
Sirena – April 25 and May 5, 2020
Marina – May 1, 2020
Regatta – May 2, 2020

As you say perhaps the ones not listed such as  Nautica's and Insignia's were removed previously as opposed to new cancellations

I believe, for many, the most important announcement from Oceania is yet to come. That being: Once allowed to sail, what new protocols will be implemented to ensure the health and safety of their passengers?

If the answer is nothing, Business as usual, I believe they will lose business. In one of the major wine Forums, there is a large thread on cruising. Overwhelming position of most of the posters: they are not interested in cruising on lines that won’t implement proactive steps, including  pre boarding passenger screening, to minimize health risks for all their passengers. A cruise ship may be a Petrie dish, but there is a lot that can be done to maintain the cleanliness of that dish other than disinfectants.

Wait and See!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I believe, for many, the most important announcement from Oceania is yet to come. That being: Once allowed to sail, what new protocols will be implemented to ensure the health and safety of their passengers?

If the answer is nothing, Business as usual, I believe they will lose business. In one of the major wine Forums, there is a large thread on cruising. Overwhelming position of most of the posters: they are not interested in cruising on lines that won’t implement proactive steps, including  pre boarding passenger screening, to minimize health risks for all their passengers. A cruise ship may be a Petrie dish, but there is a lot that can be done to maintain the cleanliness of that dish other than disinfectants.

Wait and See!

What would you consider pro active steps..

Jancruz1

31 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

What would you consider pro active steps..

Jancruz1

Just a couple of examples:

One if those cruisers reported an outbreak of measles on his cruise last summer/Fall. Ended up causing ship wide issues for the cruise. This was not Oceania, but shouldn’t the lines mandate some vaccinations to sail and ensure passengers have those vaccinations. What if it had been small pox on an African or Indian cruise? Think that would matter much? Once there is a vaccination for the corona virus, shouldn’t passengers be expected to have taken it to enter the Petrie dish?

One of those posters was on an Oceania ( Marina) cruise which had widespread Noro. He reported that at embarkment there were passengers that were visually really sick. He commented to his wife he was afraid they were headed for trouble. A couple days later , they had widespread Noro problems throughout the ship. Is “ Welcome Aboard” the only prudent action of the check in crew? Obviously, some believe so, including in that case Oceania personnel or contract personnel.

Wait and See.

2 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

I *thought* I had posted this already but maybe in the previous on-going thread, they become muddled at times. Or maybe just me thinking I had.  This was O's blurb:

Marina – May 1, 2020
Regatta – May 2, 2020

As you say perhaps the ones not listed such as  Nautica's and Insignia's were removed previously as opposed to new cancellations

All of Nautica's cruises to Asia after ours-Feb. 3, Cape Town-Singapore, which became Cape Town-Dubai-were cancelled. AFAIK Nautica is still in Dubai and the next cruise is supposed to be Dubai-Rome, May 19.

Insignia was on the ATW cruise which ended in Rio March 13. Because it was supposed to end in July, no cruises scheduled on Insignia. Guess it's implied that all the segments were cancelled when they ended ATW.

3 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

Marina – May 1, 2020
Regatta – May 2, 2020

I pulled my list of cruises from one of the monthly calendars that you can get when on a cruise that shows all six ships and their cruises month by month, color coded for destination.  

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No...Carnival announced a resumption date of May 11 and Royal May 12, per Cruise Critic:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

Carnival: June 16 in Australia/NZ and May 11 elsewhere

Royal Caribbean: May 12

I guess it varies from cruise line to cruise line and at least for some of them the date is May 14th - didn't check them all.

HAL:

Holland America Line has made the decision to extend its pause of global cruise operations for an additional 30 days, cancelling sailings scheduled to depart through May 14, 2020.

Seabourn:

Dear Seabourn Guest,

The entire Seabourn team extends our well-wishes during these uncertain times.

In response to the unpredictable circumstances evolving from the global spread of COVID-19, we have extended the voluntary pause of our global ship operations for an additional 30 days, which includes sailings scheduled to depart through May 14, 2020

Interesting they have not cancelled the Alaska cruises leaving up to and including June 30.  The ports of Seattle (I think this is right) and all BC ports are closed to all cruise lines till July 1st.  Now if the virus continues to rampage BC has said they will reconsider extending the closure of the ports.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

Interesting they have not cancelled the Alaska cruises leaving up to and including June 30.  The ports of Seattle (I think this is right) and all BC ports are closed to all cruise lines till July 1st.  Now if the virus continues to rampage BC has said they will reconsider extending the closure of the ports.

They haven’t cancelled that Alaska cruises yet not because they consider to sail. Just don’t want to deal with all that refunds at once, prefer to do one month at a time. 

In case I might have "missed it" or perhaps it hasn't happened yet (or perhaps Oceania has no intention of matching it), does Oceania's Traveler's Assurance Program duplicate or match Regent's "Reassurance Program", in that it "covers" or applies to all remaining cruises (that actually set sail) between now and December 31, 2020?  Would we be able to cancel our booking up to 48 hours before the cruise starts, for any cruise that begins by the end of 2020?  (i.e., "For all [Regent] voyages embarking on or before December 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new reservation made within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022.).

All I see on Oceania's website at the moment is protection/coverage (with an FCC) for cruises beginning by September 30, 2020.  My booked Oceania TA cruise begins on Oct 28, 2020, with "final payment" due on May 30, with escalating refund penalties and no offer (yet) of an FCC, if I were to decide to cancel before actual departure?

Any clarifying info would be appreciated.

Edited by pingpong1

8 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

For all [Regent] voyages embarking on or before December 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new reservation made within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022

Hilighting mine

Maybe "guests who have paid in full" is the key specification there?

That's correct Paul, but I can't find were/if Oceania is even offering that, at the moment?  If I wanted/needed to cancel the cruise I've booked on Oceania around September or early October, it will have already been paid in full.  If my booked cruise was/is on Regent, it appears like I have a certain amount of "protection", albeit not a cash refund.  Has Oceania extended their "Assurance Program" out to the end of 2020 yet? 

13 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

That's correct Paul, but I can't find were/if Oceania is even offering that, at the moment?  If I wanted/needed to cancel the cruise I've booked on Oceania around September or early October, it will have already been paid in full.  If my booked cruise was/is on Regent, it appears like I have a certain amount of "protection", albeit not a cash refund.  Has Oceania extended their "Assurance Program" out to the end of 2020 yet? 

It's extended to September 30. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/assurance

TRAVELERS ASSURANCE PROGRAM

NO-PENALTY CANCELLATIONS + BEST PRICE GUARANTEE

Guests and Travel Partners can now have total peace of mind knowing that should they need to cancel, for any reason, they will not lose a dollar. Guests may cancel up to 48 hours prior to cruise departure and will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid.

Additionally, consumers and travel advisors can book with confidence knowing that up to day of sailing, should there be another applicable Oceania Cruises public promotion that offers a better value through amenities or price, they may take advantage of that promotional offer and/or price.

PROGRAM APPLICABILITY AND CONDITIONS:

NO-PENALTY CANCELLATIONS

Cancel for any reason up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid

Valid for all existing reservations for scheduled voyages departing through September 30, 2020.

Update – Now valid for all new reservations through June 30th for scheduled voyages departing through September 30, 2020

Future Cruise Credit is valid for redemption for one year from date of issue for travel departing no later than December 31, 2022

Thank-You "NJ" - I had seen that previously (program running for cruises departing up to September 30).  I was actually wondering if it has subsequently been extended to originally-booked cruises that depart up until Dec 31, like Regent has just done?  Regards

Edited by pingpong1

22 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Just a couple of examples:

One if those cruisers reported an outbreak of measles on his cruise last summer/Fall. Ended up causing ship wide issues for the cruise. This was not Oceania, but shouldn’t the lines mandate some vaccinations to sail and ensure passengers have those vaccinations. What if it had been small pox on an African or Indian cruise? Think that would matter much? Once there is a vaccination for the corona virus, shouldn’t passengers be expected to have taken it to enter the Petrie dish?

One of those posters was on an Oceania ( Marina) cruise which had widespread Noro. He reported that at embarkment there were passengers that were visually really sick. He commented to his wife he was afraid they were headed for trouble. A couple days later , they had widespread Noro problems throughout the ship. Is “ Welcome Aboard” the only prudent action of the check in crew? Obviously, some believe so, including in that case Oceania personnel or contract personnel.

Wait and See.

I agree with some of the things you've said, but people don't even tell their doctors the truth so how will they be screened before boarding?  I have seen patients repeatedly deny things that are quite serious in the privacy of exam room.  Can't imagine it will be better pre-boarding.  The question of vaccines is also difficult.  Talk to the schools.  I have been appalled by how many kids aren't vaccinated because parents don't want it.  Not for prior health concerns or allergy, but for religious reasons, fear, just don't want it.....  They put many at risk, but seem to have that right.

5 minutes ago, Zesty Italian said:

I agree with some of the things you've said, but people don't even tell their doctors the truth so how will they be screened before boarding?  I have seen patients repeatedly deny things that are quite serious in the privacy of exam room.  Can't imagine it will be better pre-boarding.  The question of vaccines is also difficult.  Talk to the schools.  I have been appalled by how many kids aren't vaccinated because parents don't want it.  Not for prior health concerns or allergy, but for religious reasons, fear, just don't want it.....  They put many at risk, but seem to have that right.

You are right on the mark.  So what do the rest of us do to protect ourselves?  

This is all just a mess....and will continue to be a mess.  This just seems like alot of stress for what is supposed to be a relaxing time away.  At this point I'd just rather book a fantastic hotel in my favorite city or beach or countryside and truly relax and have some fabulous meals and enjoy the vacation!  What has truly turned me off is the fact that you can be trapped on a ship like a hostage and can't leave.

Edited by JVNYC
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

This is all just a mess....and will continue to be a mess.  This just seems like alot of stress for what is supposed to be a relaxing time away.  At this point I'd just rather book a fantastic hotel in my favorite city or beach or countryside and truly relax and have some fabulous meals and enjoy the vacation!  What has truly turned me off is the fact that you can be trapped on a ship like a hostage and can't leave.

Cruising is a privilege, not a right. People are routinely banned by cruise lines because of a variety of reasons including physical and mental health reasons. Nothing new here folks! Ask your TA if you don’t believe “ do not cruise lists” don’t already exist! 

I truly believe that if the ( any ) cruise line doesn’t mandate vaccinations, when available, and people end up “ trapped on a ship like a hostage and can’t leave “ because some won’t/ can’t take the vaccination, then as Jancruz suggests; people won’t cruise. The cruise industry will be signing its own death warrant.

For some lines, perhaps it will become their marketing logo. Antivaxers welcome! We specialize in antivax sailings! Where ever there’s a market, there are those that will want to serve it.

Edited by pinotlover

55 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Cruising is a privilege, not a right. People are routinely banned by cruise lines because of a variety of reasons including physical and mental health reasons. Nothing new here folks! Ask your TA if you don’t believe “ do not cruise lists” don’t already exist! 

I truly believe that if the ( any ) cruise line doesn’t mandate vaccinations, when available, and people end up “ trapped on a ship like a hostage and can’t leave “ because some won’t/ can’t take the vaccination, then as Jancruz suggests; people won’t cruise. The cruise industry will be signing its own death warrant.

For some lines, perhaps it will become their marketing logo. Antivaxers welcome! We specialize in antivax sailings! Where ever there’s a market, there are those that will want to serve it.

Once a vaccine is widely available (which admittedly, will be quite some time), one would think that most people would get it and "herd immunity" would apply.  At that point, there shouldn't be a necessity that ports ban ships from coming in just because there's an ill passenger.  Further, it can be the prerogative of any country to require that entrants have the vaccination.  That makes the cruise line the enforcer to some degree.  They'd require proof that the passenger has received the vaccination or else deny boarding.  But no one would be suing the cruise line when they are simply ensuring that entry requirements are being met.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Further, it can be the prerogative of any country to require that entrants have the vaccination.  That makes the cruise line the enforcer to some degree.  They'd require proof that the passenger has received the vaccination or else deny boarding.  But no one would be suing the cruise line when they are simply ensuring that entry requirements are being met.

This already exists for yellow fever, Granted, it's not an infectious disease and would not effect others if someone without a vaccine should succumb.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Private cruise lines have no laws requiring them to board antivaxers.

The health officials have said the virus will continue to be around. So to re-address your question, what do the rest of us do, if the antivaxers come down with the virus on ship and the rest of up end up floating around trying to find a port to let us in?

Governments have the right to refuse antivaxers from boarding or disembarking. I'll gladly forego American ports and law and stick to ports like Papeete, Sydney, Venice and Barcelona which by the time cruising is feasible, should have vaccine laws in place. (If and when a vaccine is available.)

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

This already exists for yellow fever, Granted, it's not an infectious disease and would not effect others if someone without a vaccine should succumb.

And there are countries where you can be denied entry without proof of the yellow fever vaccine. You cannot fly there without having the yellow fever vaccine. I got the vaccine a while ago for a safari trip that had us in Zimbabwe for 2 days. Because that is a yellow fever country we would not have been allowed into South Africa after having visited Zimbabwe without proof of the vaccine. If one is an anti vexer then you just may not be able to travel to any place YOU want to. Anti vaxxers will have to limit their travel to within the US.