Norwegian....Take notice! A despicable policy.

pianobar

I too feel that NCL is behaving unethically.  I was scheduled for a weekend cruise with my two daughters, 3/27-3/30.  I had made the reservation personally and paid the entire amount on my credit card.  The form for requesting a refund was not available until 3/23.  I completed and requested the refund.  I received an email confirming my "future cruise credit" which I did not request.   I completed the form again on 3/25, this time receiving a confirmation email telling me that I would have to wait 90 days for the refund.  Yesterday, both of my daughters received emails saying that if they did not respond by close of business yesterday, that they would receive FCC.  This was the first email they received from NCL as all communication had been with me as the payor.  Luckily, my oldest called me and I was able to reach the second to have them both  complete the form immediately.  I  may or may not receive a refund if NCL goes belly up, it's the chance I take. You can argue that my daughters were on the reservation, even though I made the payment, and would therefore be due the FCC, but to delay emailing them to advise them of this until the very last minute is unethical.

If they survive, they won't be getting my business.  Flame away.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lancer1568 said:

I agree that sending a refund should be quicker but who knows the challenges they are facing in processing tens of thousands of refunds.  I do have one observation though.  You talk about how you and  Norwegian's other customers need this money now for rent etc.  How would you have gotten the money if the cruises had not been cancelled?

not worth it

Edited by thistimeplease

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

If you request a chargeback and there is a refund in process, the bank could easily deny your claim.  NCL will be charged a fee, regardless of who wins the case.  If you lose, which is entirely possible because NCL will be able to prove that you made the purchase and offered a refund, you could be out everything.  If they go one step further and ban you, any FCC that they might give you would be unusable (since you are banned).

That's complete and utter nonsense.  You are making things up out of whole cloth and talking (or writing as the case may be) out of the wrong orifice. 

Instead of the back and forth whether one will receive the refund from their credit card company, how about those that have disputed the charge with their credit card company update us on what happened.

When many disputed their charge from the bomb cyclone cruise some time back, they were denied, because the banks said they got the services they paid for.  They weren't happy, but at least everyone knew how the dispute ended up.

I have $5000 wrapped up in a cruise for two cabins in March that were obviously cancelled. I filled out the refund form and got the pop-up message of 90 days.  I called my credit card company to dispute the charge - Capital One Venture Card.

They told me that it takes AT LEAST 90 days to close a disputed charge and since NCL was promising a refund within those 90 days, they wanted me to be patient with NCL for the next 90 days. THEN if I didn't get my refund, to then proceed with the credit card dispute process.

They said they made a note of my phone call and what they suggested I do, so I will have a stronger case for the dispute if I have to file one in 90 days.

• Like 2

While NCL is not behaving the way they should, being objective, they have said they will provide the refund.  Also, since they have many cancellations to refund, it is not uncalled for to expect some delay.   However, in my opinion more than 30 days is not fair to the customer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clairetsosie/2017/03/16/when-you-should-and-shouldnt-dispute-a-credit-card-purchase/#75a61eab2e39

The law requires you to dispute the charge within 60 days of when you receive the statement.  

Personally, I would not dispute the charge with my credit card if the cruise line offered, even later than reasonable to refund.  We are in a state of near zero interest on saving these days. Yes, NCL is using your money for more than it should, weigh that when you book another cruise.

27 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

I have $5000 wrapped up in a cruise for two cabins in March that were obviously cancelled. I filled out the refund form and got the pop-up message of 90 days.  I called my credit card company to dispute the charge - Capital One Venture Card.

They told me that it takes AT LEAST 90 days to close a disputed charge and since NCL was promising a refund within those 90 days, they wanted me to be patient with NCL for the next 90 days. THEN if I didn't get my refund, to then proceed with the credit card dispute process.

They said they made a note of my phone call and what they suggested I do, so I will have a stronger case for the dispute if I have to file one in 90 days.

Thank you for that update.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

The law requires you to dispute the charge within 60 days of when you receive the statement. 

Not true in the case of services not received.  The timeline could vary by bank, but with MC it is 120 days from the day services were due but not delivered.

I hope this isn't off topic. I did a chargeback once on Children' Place. I bought items online and returned in store. Online I was charged tax. I returned in a state that doesn't charge tax. I was not refunded the tax. I disputed this and won and received the tax back. Now Childrens place wont allow me to do an online order. If I try to order online, a day or 2 later it is canceled. I asked why and the response was the order doesn't meet our criteria. I assumed I'm banned. While this doesn't refer to NCL, it just shows what's possible.  But done may not be intrested in cruising again with Ncl or  other line for that matter.  Holland has some ships with passengers  needing medical attention and cost guard is telling them to get help in the country that the ship is flagged in. So kind of leaves me what a bad taste in my mouth,  even though I love cruising. 

Totally off topic...

I helplessly watched patients die today....nothing we did could save them. I’ve never cried harder or more than I have in the last 17 days. 
I pray you all get your money back.

• Like 6

FWIW I have had 3 cruises cancelled due to COVID-19 - NCL, Carnival, and Princess. All 3 lines state 90 days for refunds. Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, it is wrong. But NCL is not the only line doing it. I am in no way defending this for any of the cruise companies, but it appears it is just something we need to accept as we come to terms that life in general is no longer the way it used to be.

1 hour ago, NayRN said:

Totally off topic..

I helplessly watched patients die today....nothing we did could save them. I’ve never cried harder or more than I have in the last 17 days. 

This puts everything in perspective.  I have 2 daughters one is a RN and one a health care professional at a nursing rehab facility.  They both are at home with covid-19.  I thank you for what you do.🙏 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

This puts everything in perspective.  I have 2 daughters one is a RN and one a health care professional at a nursing rehab facility.  They both are at home with covid-19.  I thank you for what you do.🙏 

Thank you for you kind words and please let both your daughters know I will add them to my prayers.

1 hour ago, NayRN said:

Totally off topic...

Thank you for being a hero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NayRN said:

Totally off topic...

(((((((cyber hug from the Midwest))))))

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NayRN said:

Totally off topic...

Putting life in perspective is needed sometimes.

Thank YOU  and all medical personnel in these very trying times.

• Like 1

The only words for @NayRN - real heroes wear scrubs.

One of my friends is an RN and is seriously considering traveling to NYC (only 3 hours from us) to help.  They are offering BIG BUCKS for nurses to come in from other areas.  I want very much to offer to be part of her support system on the phone but I just can't imagine what she's going to be going through down there and have no idea how I'd be able to help her.  I just hope she stays safe and comes home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

The only words for @NayRN - real heroes wear scrubs.

One of my friends is an RN and is seriously considering traveling to NYC (only 3 hours from us) to help.  They are offering BIG BUCKS for nurses to come in from other areas.  I want very much to offer to be part of her support system on the phone but I just can't imagine what she's going to be going through down there and have no idea how I'd be able to help her.  I just hope she stays safe and comes home.

I will pray for her safety!  We lost an RN last night who only started showing symptoms three days ago..😢

The best thing you can do for your friend is to reach out via phone and offer a compassionate ear. We sometimes need to have what we refer to as “verbal diarrhea” to get everything off our chest - helps to lessen the stress and increase the ability to sleep.

I personally want to thank her for her support! I would be willing to travel except it’s not too great in the metro Detroit area and we’re crying out for more staff. 

I enjoy cruising, so I would hate to see the cruise-lines go belly up.  Nobody likes what has been happening lately.  My wife and I were supposed to be on the Getaway in Belize today.  It would be great for those who want a refund for it to be an immediate process, but that's not a practical option; particularly given to current situation the cruise lines find themselves in.    Can you imagine if you owned a business like a cruise line, where customers pay in advance because you have to purchase things in advance in order to provide the service when the customer arrives, and then something happens which was out of your control, but requires a halt to your business, and thus compels you to pay back hundreds of thousands of those customers.  Your entire revenue stream stops completely, and now you have to find a way to make everyone whole? 

I would love if the compensation for our cruise was even better than what NCL offered, but I certainly can not suggest that it is unfair.  I have had plenty of complaints about NCL (and the other cruise lines for that matter) over the years, but this certainly isn't one of them.

My wife and I were able to re-book our exact cruise, for the same week, leaving out of the same port (NOLA), in the same cabin (spa mini-suite), and with slightly better perks and more onboard credit, using the FCC and the 20% deal; and we still have a couple hundred left (even after using it to prepay gratuities and unlimited streaming internet).  NCL hasn't been unreasonable, I don't think.

• Like 1