Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

12 hours ago, larhode said:

One option is to dispute the charge on your credit card as I think we will never see any money from Azamara.  If they intended to refund, they would have started the process, but so far not a penny and they ignore emails about the subject. 

This is not a great option. The credit card company will have to contact Azamara, which will have to address the dispute, which takes resources away from processing refunds. BTW, Azamara will tell the credit card company that a refund is being processed, and the dispute will be closed.

• Like 1

Regarding credit card dispute: 

We were scheduled to sail the Panama Canal cruise on the Pursuit in March. When cruise was cancelled by Azamara, TA requested full refund and was told it could take 30 days or longer.  Since final payment was made within the normal 60 day window, decided to dispute the charge with the credit card company. I was concerned about financial stability and potential for full refund being slow walked.

Disputed the charge online Wednesday and credit card company credited back the full amount the following day -- which surprised me how quickly the money was credited to the account.  I was expecting it to take longer. 

After my experience, another person in our group took the same steps and received full credit with their credit card company.  I don't know if their payment was made within the 60 day window.  I've heard stories that cancelled travel can be disputed outside the normal 60 day window. I have no idea if this is true or not.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Not blind loyalty, self interest - we love cruising with Azamara and want to be able to do so again in the future, however long that may be. 

I don't have the benefit of a crystal ball of course, but doubt I'll be cruising until a vaccine for Covid-19 is available or an effective treatment is available. That could be a way off.  Very sad. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I don't have the benefit of a crystal ball of course, but doubt I'll be cruising until a vaccine for Covid-19 is available or an effective treatment is available. That could be a way off.  Very sad. 

Phil 

I’m not sure we can fly or sail with confidence until we know a lot more about this virus, it’s antidotes etc.  I read today there is proven scientific doubt even about how it transmits.  Even if I eventually discover I had immunity I’m going to think twice about cruising because I don’t want to spend what’s left of the value of my cruising investments on a ship that’s got lots of restrictions because someone else onboard has it. 
This is very much going to be a heart vs head decision and much as I want to say yes yes to all the “we will be back” messages, a big reality call has landed on me. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Our cruising has been curtailed in recent times due to family problems and health reasons, this will probably put a end to it.

It was great while it lasted and we have some wonderful memories. 

We are in a similar position and our much anticipated Quest cruise on 17th March would have been our first in 20 months. We are not planning on booking anything going forward, and will not book another cruise until, as Phil said, there is a vaccine and effective treatment! When this is all over, my priority will be my family and catching up on all the family time we’ve missed. That is what is keeping me going, I think many of us are revaluating what is really important. Keep safe everyone!

• Like 2

Good discussion.  This will NOT be over by Fall.  Projections in the US are that it could peak mid-May.  Even that is optimistic with the resurgence being seen in Asia.  

Cruise line corporations are going to have to make some very difficult choices.  Not just on restarting operations within whatever new guidelines and regulations are required, but which ships, which countries/ports, and which crews.  RCCL especially which is mega ships.  Profitability will need to be considered.  One of RCCL's decisions will be to compare Azamara and its 20-plus year old ships vs newer more efficient ships of Celebrity and RCI.  From my perspective, it should be easier to get the "R-class" ships back to sea.  The Oasis class not so much.  New expensive ships like Edge will be a challenge since it is already overpriced in a crowded market of similar offerings.  These factors and so many more are being wrestled with by RCCL (and Carnival (Princess/HAL/Carnival) and others.  It would be sad to see Azamara go, but it is the smallest line within RCCL and likely easiest to close...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ptrpanpens said:

Curious if anyone has received a cash refund for refundable air arrangements purchased through choice air on a cruise you canceled? If so, when was your cruise scheduled and what date did you cancel?

thanks

Not for air purchased through Choice Air, but for air purchased diretly from American Airlines for travel to/fm Europe in June.  They provided a full refund - no cancellation fee - within two weeks!.  Well Done AA!

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

On 4/2/2020 at 7:38 PM, hrhdhd said:

This is not a great option. The credit card company will have to contact Azamara, which will have to address the dispute, which takes resources away from processing refunds. BTW, Azamara will tell the credit card company that a refund is being processed, and the dispute will be closed.

Not sure about the USA, but the dispute will certainly not be considered as closed by Azamara giving a vague suggestion that it is "being processed" - Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract

Given the poor service that Azamara is currently providing, and having no intention to set foot on one of their ships again, its the way I am going.

8 hours ago, nigelc said:

Not sure about the USA, but the dispute will certainly not be considered as closed by Azamara giving a vague suggestion that it is "being processed" - Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract

Given the poor service that Azamara is currently providing, and having no intention to set foot on one of their ships again, its the way I am going.

All that does is circumvent the refund process and move you to the front of the line, ahead of others who have also been waiting for refunds. But you do you.

Anyone had a refund yet either from their TA or Azamara, we were due to depart on Tuesday flying to Singapore. Still waiting for refund from TA and also from Azamara for the experience more package. Keep getting promises but nothing has been refunded yet. 

1 hour ago, sunlover33 said:

Anyone had a refund yet either from their TA or Azamara, we were due to depart on Tuesday flying to Singapore. Still waiting for refund from TA and also from Azamara for the experience more package. Keep getting promises but nothing has been refunded yet. 

Our 17th March 2020 sailing was cancelled on the 10th March 2020. While I have had lots of "hot air" and e-mails asking me to book cruises from them, I have not had any refunds yet from my TA or Azamara; either for the cruise itself, cabin upgrade bid or my experience more package (the last two being paid directly to Azamara).  

12 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

All that does is circumvent the refund process and move you to the front of the line, ahead of others who have also been waiting for refunds. But you do you.

Given that my cruise must have been one of the first to be cancelled (sailing 17th March 20, cancelled 10th March 20), I must surely after 25 days be somewhere near the front of the line. However, would appear that it is not just about where you are "in the line", because it seems that the line is not moving as Azamara just appears to be dragging their feet so that they can keep YOUR money. They say that they are "busy", but try phoning their sales number and they will answer in seconds and can process a booking and take your money in a matter of minutes - no delay at all. Well, given that they only have 3 very small ships to deal with, and after 25 days they have not even got to 17th March 20 sailings, how long are they planning on taking to make refunds? Indeed, in practice how long can it take to process a simply refund? So yes, I have had enough and have made claims against the relevant credit card companies - something I would advise others to do asap.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nigelc said:

We feel the same. RCI has let us down and Azamara, their premium cruise line, will permanently lose everything they spend so much time and money building because of stupid short sighted accounting policies. After 22 cruises with RCI they have lost me to Oceania who gave me my money back in 48 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

We feel the same. RCI has let us down and Azamara, their premium cruise line, will permanently lose everything they spend so much time and money building because of stupid short sighted accounting policies. After 22 cruises with RCI they have lost me to Oceania who gave me my money back in 48 hours. 

That’s excellent news.

Have you shared the particulars on the ongoing thread concerning Oceania’s refunds in the present circumstances?  

For some it will be reassuring since at one time Oceania was predicting a 90 day processing time.

2 hours ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

Best wishes

On March 10 my TA canceled a May cruise per my request as the 50% refund and 50% FCC policy was in effect.  Within 3 days I received a refund for an experience more package that I had booked directly.  On April 2 I contacted my TA to cancel an additional cruise with another line and to check on my Azamara refund.  The TA contacted Azamara and was told the refund had been processed the previous day.

Today my credit card showed a full refund for the taxes and a separate refund that reflected a transfer and 50% of the cruise fare.  So in my case it certainly appears that Azamara lived up to their end of the deal.  I have not had any direct communication from Azamara about the FCC but my TA said that might take a while.

So patience may be the best approach.  

• Like 2

Refunds as well as purchase is a contract in a way. And in this contract the terms are specified. These terms should indicate the exact period when the money should be reimbursed back to your account. Otherwise there should be penalties for the refunding party. Dont worry, they will keep their terms and pay you even if it will occur on the last possible day 

1 hour ago, Wheelhouse said:

Within 3 days I received a refund for an experience more package that I had booked directly. 

We are still waiting for out refund for the experience more package from Azamara for a cruise due to depart on 11/4/20 so how does that work? Happy to be patient but this does not appear to be in any sort of date order. 

On 4/1/2020 at 11:29 AM, grayjay said:

Might be different in other countries but I think we'll have to wait quite some time: Our travel agency told us it might take up to 8 weeks for the refund to be processed by Azamara when I asked because our refund didn't come after 3 weeks of waiting.

I could understand if they had a huge fleet but it’s only three ships, why such a delay? It doesn’t seem to affect them when collecting the income, the financial department seem to be able to cope with income much easier than expenditure. Oceana are refunding  after 48 hours. Again very disappointed in customer service Azamara, it’s just not good enough. 

On 4/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, AJCM said:

We’re probably in the same B2B2B in June. No way they’re going ahead. On the assumption we’ll get 125% FCC when Azamara formally cancels them, yesterday we’ve booked a third 2021 cruise to join our B2B booked in May-Jun 2021. 

We’ll get to apply the FCC against all three cruises and have a small balance payment. I can’t believe that many, many large business won’t be able to restart when this is over. The entire cruise industry seems to be in the same boat (ha ha) at the moment and I believe some of them are too big to fail. Indeed, if the big cruise conglomerates fail, then the fallout across many other industries must surely also fail, with worldwide devastating outcomes. Just don’t see it.

So, I encourage other optimists to help Azamara get back to business in a few months, by taking the FCC rather than refund.

This should not be construed as any criticism of those who want a refund. I we’ll understand why many people will want this.

Really, their poor communication prior to the cancellation of our cruise said every thing about Azamara, good when they want your money deaf when you want it back.