Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Brilliance for me. I think its from a Thanksgiving cruise out of Tampa 4-5 years ago.

20210826_104438.thumb.jpg.1af164664bc7ce2c6db236fd7aed4d8d.jpg

Dave has a Jewel one just like that.  He bought some shorts at Costco he really likes.  They are a quick dry material.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Your comments got me searching the YouTube for videos of ships going into the Bay.

Per Google Map, US Coast Guard has a station right inside the bay, so I guess they are stationed there.

Check out this video of them trying to go in during less than perfect sea conditions

If it’s not bad enough to go in on your own, try towing someone in.  You get to see it from the boat’s perspective on what it looks like – better be ready for that turn to the left (port) side

This ship is not as fortunate

Or this Kayaker being rescued

Tsunami damage from 10 years ago

How very interesting, Harry, thank you for sharing.  Our oldest daughter's husband is a graduate of the Coast Guard Academy...Jen and Tom were married in the chapel at the Academy...beautiful!  Tom and his Wedding Party were all in uniform.  When the married couple emerged from the Church, they walked under all of the raised swords.  Gives me chills just reminiscing about it. Tom was an Officer (and a gentleman..truly!)and finally retired after 20 years.  

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

20 months for girls, 36 for boys.

Assuming you don't go to officer's or special training. Then you have to extend your service, but you receive a nice salary for the additional period. For example, DS1 became an officer, and had to sign an additional year (beyond the 3 years compulsory), for which he was paid a salary.

Age is 18, but it varies depending on the education you have and the service you're supposed to do.

I'm born in March, but my service date was October. For example, girls with a high school diploma are due to enter service either in July, October or November. That's it.

If you want to call it winter.... Nov-Dec through March. Just rains in a good year.

Snow -- very rare and mostly in the few mountains we have. Jerusalem gets snow once in a few years. It rarely stays on the ground.

Where I live, the last snow we had was 1951...

I'm OK with that -- hate cold.

Thank you, Dani.  I know so little about Israel.  I appreciate your enlightening me about your Service.  I guess you just need a good raincoat/umbrella in the Winter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!  Especially the tip about taking them to the dry cleaners before a trip!!!  That’s a problem with them…they often look like he slept in them…

I hate the cargo shorts with the velcro instead of the buttons...

• Like 3

I have not been reading this thread for a few days and there are so many pages to read to catch up !

It seems that congratulations are in order-

Graham and Pauline- happy anniversary! You look like honeymooners in your photos. 

John and Lala- welcome to baby Felix! Wishing you many happy days shared with him.

For everyone on this thread that are experiencing a heatwave, hoping you are staying cool with a cool drink.

MJ 🙋🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I GIVE UP!!!  One minute I can hit the react button.  It works;  it doesn't work.  I multi-quote one minute, then I can't the next time.  I can quote one minute, can't the next minute.  I keep getting out of CC, then go on to quote, or react, or whatever, then I again have to get out of CC and go on again.  This is driving me crazy!!!!!  not in a good way🤪

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

This reminds me of the Boats vs Haulover YouTube channel.  Someone here on CC first pointed it out to me.  I don't know what I find it so fascinating.  

I like it due to the “surprise” of what boat will be successful VS not.  I also like watching the boats, and occasionally the occupants on them. 😉

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, since today seems to be cat show and tell day, this is Lila. She is a Platinum Tonkenese....

What an amazing looking cat. Lucy approves. So do I. Give her some rubs for me please. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

I have owned a home with a lawn for decades and have never mowed my lawn , lawn service is extremely cheap in Dallas, also have service for bugs/ fire ants .

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I have people for that.😁

I do need to go out and treat fire ants, though🐜🐜

Never had a lawn service for any of our homes.  I do a much better job than some of my neighbors that do have a yard service and our yard looks a lot better also. No HOA for our subdivision. To be honest, I actually enjoy it, and I work cheap. I do all the edging, trimming, mowing, watering (automatic sprinkler system), fertilizing and pest control. Great way to keep the tan going and to escape reality (temporarily) . My wife does all the planting and upkeep of flowers. Enjoying a cold Budweiser as I type this. Wine later for HH. My pay.  🍷🍻

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 7

My 17 year old granddaughter is an honor student who will begin her Senior year in HS next week.Today,she and other Senior honor students conducted a Freshman Orientation at the school.

When I was in the 9th.grade at the junior high I attended students were taken by Seniors at the local HS to the school for Orientation.We were in groups of 15 .The student who took me and 14 others was Barbara L.She gave each of us her phone number and said that we can call her if we had any questions.In 1999 when I bought my first PC I found out that my HS had a chat room.I entered the room and Barbara L was posting.I posted to her ,identified myself and asked her what she did after she completed her schooling.We exchanged e-mail addresses and I found out that she was a US Senator from California.

Perhaps one day my granddaughter will be famous.😀

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My 17 year old granddaughter is an honor student who will begin her Senior year in HS next week.Today,she and other Senior honor students conducted a Freshman Orientation at the school.

When I was in the 9th.grade at the junior high I attended students were taken by Seniors at the local HS to the school for Orientation.We were in groups of 15 .The student who took me and 14 others was Barbara L.She gave each of us her phone number and said that we can call her if we had any questions.In 1999 when I bought my first PC I found out that my HS had a chat room.I entered the room and Barbara L was posting.I posted to her ,identified myself and asked her what she did after she completed her schooling.We exchanged e-mail addresses and I found out that she was a US Senator from California.

Perhaps one day my granddaughter will be famous.😀

Barbara L Boxer?

Who don't you know🤔

BTW, she's 80, so I guess you're 76 or 77

Edited by John&LaLa