Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 minutes ago, George C said:

I still love the old westerns from the 1950’s and 1960’s , Have gun will travel, Gunsmoke, etc. but watching it now on my 70”tv is a little different, during the fist fight scenes you can clearly see that there is a stand in for one or both of the actors.

I was a Bonanza and Big Valley fan.  I might have had a crush on a young  Linda Evans 🤠

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just to tack on to what I wrote about old TV shows, don't get me wrong, there are some really good old TV shows. The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy are classics that I never tire of watching. The Carol Burnett show is timeless. The Fugitive and Emergency! are shows I feel may be able to stand the test of time, although I haven't seen a episode of either in decades.

Oh, and the original Star Trek will never go out of style.

I guess just compare the original Lost in Space to the reboot on NetFlix to see how much has evolved.

• Like 3

I have been called to Jury Duty at least 3 times.  For county cases you are selected for a period of time but most of the time you only have to show up once or twice.  One of the county cases was a former felon in possession of a firearm.  I remember one juror argued it was just a hunting rifle.  He was found guilty.

I was appointed head juror in a felony case.  A guy tampered with an odometer before selling a truck. Before we even started discussing the case one lady was very adamant about not paying the victim much if anything. She was saying it doesn’t need to be another "McDonald’s" case..  I suggested we first decide whether the guy tampered with the odometer.  After a long discussion we determined guilty.  Then we were asked to determine a settlement.  Several amounts were tossed out.  Someone said, your an accountant, what do you think.  I tossed out a higher amount thinking the lady would spend a lot of time complaining and we would meet in the middle.  Several started agreeing with my amount and a couple higher.  It was getting late. You could tell everyone was wanting to go home.  All agreed on an amount.  The lady acted discussed and snapped yes to the amount.  Everyone started to stand and I said wait, sit down.  We are not going anywhere until she convinces me that she is in full agreement.  She snapped I am.  I said you don’t sound like it.  Take your time and explain why.  Her voice softened, sweetened up and she explained why she thought it was a great amount!  😊 The amount was enough to buy a new truck.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I have encyclopedias up the attic.  Too much work getting all the stuff I saved out of the attic.  We have regular stairs but still such a bother.  I told Charlie we need to rent a dumpster than we can toss things out the attic window!

I am not a hoarder but I have two large crates .One is filled with things from my childhood and schools the other is sports collectibles.We also have a trunk that one of my daughters used in college that is filled with her things from her childhood.My 14 year old granddaughter called here last night and asked if I have a shoe horn because she has trouble getting on a pair of tight shoes.My shoehorn is in one of the crates.She is coming here tomorrow to look for it,She will probably see many things that she never saw before.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've call the cable company several times in the past & threatened to cancel. They've always given me the same low "introductory" rate they give to new customers.  Of course, the downside is I need to lock into a 1 or 2 year contract.  Nowadays, I don't even threaten to cancel, I just ask politely which seems to work just as well.🙂

Whenever I have called and threaten to cancel I am told to do so.They never offer anything .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Just to tack on to what I wrote about old TV shows, don't get me wrong, there are some really good old TV shows. The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy are classics that I never tire of watching. The Carol Burnett show is timeless. The Fugitive and Emergency! are shows I feel may be able to stand the test of time, although I haven't seen a episode of either in decades.

Oh, and the original Star Trek will never go out of style.

I guess just compare the original Lost in Space to the reboot on NetFlix to see how much has evolved.

I never cared for The Honeymooners or The Carol Burnett Show.I loved Lucy .I liked the Fugitive but never watched Emergency.I probably saw every episode of Star Trek and ThevTwilight Zone.

29 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I have encyclopedias up the attic.  Too much work getting all the stuff I saved out of the attic.  We have regular stairs but still such a bother.  I told Charlie we need to rent a dumpster than we can toss things out the attic window!

I have a really detailed encyclopedia in my hand right now. Crazy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had a crush on Raquel Welch 😀

Wasn't it Andy's last pinup in Shawshank

Screenshot_20220506-151653_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2f3b502bd71d89788e4f16eff9cc7036.jpg

Might have been B&W version

Screenshot_20220506-152046_Chrome.thumb.jpg.61f7056a85edeec6138d291f8964ba65.jpg

My uncle had it

Found these on my 'Encyclopedia'😇

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not a hoarder but I have two large crates .One is filled with things from my childhood and schools the other is sports collectibles.We also have a trunk that one of my daughters used in college that is filled with her things from her childhood.My 14 year old granddaughter called here last night and asked if I have a shoe horn because she has trouble getting on a pair of tight shoes.My shoehorn is in one of the crates.She is coming here tomorrow to look for it,She will probably see many things that she never saw before.

There is a very fine line between hoarding and collecting😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've call the cable company several times in the past & threatened to cancel. They've always given me the same low "introductory" rate they give to new customers.  Of course, the downside is I need to lock into a 1 or 2 year contract.  Nowadays, I don't even threaten to cancel, I just ask politely which seems to work just as well.🙂

The cable company has a local office that we would go to every couple of years and do that and get a better price.  A few years ago the company was bought and they quit letting the local office do it.  I understand you can call and get it lowered but I am tired of it and close to giving it up.  5g keeps getting better here. There are places in town that shows over 150 mbps.  At my house 15 to 20 but I have seen it jump to about 50 at times.  I have looked at getting a 5g booster.  I have figured out how to cast wirelessly to the tv and also have a hdmi adapter.  It looks great on the tv.  My phone plan is unlimited with no slow down so it won’t cost more if I use it. 
I may try calling again.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Years ago Sharon’s mom started giving the 12 days of Christmas.  She would wrap up old memories from the attic and give them to the kids to open each day running up to Christmas.  The attic is one thing that helps us not to move.  Each time we moved we moved attic stuff to the new attic.  The last time we moved we were able to get rid of some of it to those who helped us move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Years ago Sharon’s mom started giving the 12 days of Christmas.  She would wrap up old memories from the attic and give them to the kids to open each day running up to Christmas.  The attic is one thing that helps us not to move.  Each time we moved we moved attic stuff to the new attic.  The last time we moved we were able to get rid of some of it to those who helped us move.

Purging is good for the soul.

We've done it several times as we downsized. Then made mistake of adding another 1000 sqft to new place, not to mention the oversized garage. 

Not sure we put anything in the attic though

• Like 5

On 5/4/2022 at 7:36 PM, John&LaLa said:

What was wrong with old climbing holds

I was wondering the same thing.

Never mind. I just saw he answered it.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I remember Cousin Brucie from way back in the day. I thought he had died or at least retired until I heard him on XM radio on the 60's channel recently.  I think he has a weekly show.  I enjoyed the music but, um, he should really consider retiring permanently.

My first response attempt went poof.  So, years ago Jack and I were coming home from dinner.  Babysitter was at home with our daughter.  I was tired and closed my eyes. We had the car radio on and all of a sudden I heard "come on let's go go go with Cousin Brucie"  Aill of a sudden I was 16 again and wide awake!

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I read my autograph albums often and look through my HS yearbook.I have been to several HS reunions.My yearbook as I assume yours is was black and white.I had red hair .Now my hair is white .

My yearbook is aqua blue.

51 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I was a Bonanza and Big Valley fan.  I might have had a crush on a young  Linda Evans 🤠

My mother had a major crush on Lorne Green.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NHProud said:

Thank you !  Getting around pretty well .  Hospital staff was so very nice .  

Excellent!!!

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Did you not have WOR (Ch 9) or PBS (Ch13)? 

Never heard of Dumont. Must be a local Long Island channel. 

We did have Ch 9 and Ch 13 also.    We had Ch 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

60°F and cloudy here in North East England.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

I hope you're having a lovely day, Graham!

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Sitting relaxing looking out to sea.

16518396106317532890740937490794.jpg

Wow, Graham!  Just beautiful!

6 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

It’s a typical New England spring day here. Cool, damp & chilly with temps only in the 50’s all weekend.  Then next week we have our usual spring jump from 50’s up to mid to high 70’s. 
Gotta have winter & summer clothes at the ready! 

Rain off and on here today, in the 50's.  Rain and heavy wind tomorrow through Sunday.  I'd really love to get outside and get some yard work down.  The weather hasn't been conducive to outside work since we got home from Florida.  We did plant 3 hydrangeas (that I bought yesterday)  in the front yard this morning, in between the rain drops!

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

For those truly interested in cutting the cord with your cable company and NOT replacing it with monthly fees from a bunch of online services, ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS/FOX/CW/etc. are still broadcast over the air (OTA) for free.  You can install an HDTV antenna that plugs into the back of your TV and pick up these signals, depending on how far away the signal is being broadcast and how well your antenna can see the signal.  There's a good website called Antenna Web that lets you enter your location, and it will show you the broadcasting stations near you, and the type of antenna needed to receive their signal: 

Antenna Web: AntennaWeb - Antenna Signal Prediction 

Thank you, Bob, for this info!  Good to know!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

My first response attempt went poof.  So, years ago Jack and I were coming home from dinner.  Babysitter was at home with our daughter.  I was tired and closed my eyes. We had the car radio on and all of a sudden I heard "come on let's go go go with Cousin Brucie"  Aill of a sudden I was 16 again and wide awake!

My yearbook is aqua blue.

My mother had a major crush on Lorne Green.  

My HS yearbook is Mosaic.My mother once told me that she had a huge crush on Ronald Colman.If my mother was alive today she would be 115.

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I do remember thinking how great it was when we completed the entire encyclopedia set.  If I had only known😳

I had the 20 volume Funk &Wagnalls Encyclopedia .I think my parents bought it at A&S.

Years later Compton Encyclopedias were sold for 19 cents a volume at super markets with a purchase of $ 25 in groceries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We live in the foothills of the Ozarks so not only is distance a problem, but so are the hills.  We have an LG and LG offers several free channels to watch but none of the 4 major channels.  I watched it a bit when we first got the tv but I can’t remember the last time I looked at it.  Our internet service has limited downloading.  What I hate is we have been using them for over 20 years and they give better prices to new customers.  My daughter was able to get a real good price on unlimited faster internet and it hasn’t gone up for several years.  

We got a fabulous deal on internet last fall for our shore house but was told that same deal was not available to existing customers home in PA.      There is no discount for being a loyal customer with cable companies.    They force you to play the game and switch companies every 2 years when your contract runs out.    Shame they don't have loyalty status like Diamond, D+, etc.    

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had the 20 volume Funk &Wagnalls Encyclopedia .I think my parents bought it at A&S.

Years later Compton Encyclopedias were sold for 19 cents a volume at super markets with a purchase of $ 25 in groceries.

Guess you remember Green Stamps then? Think they ended in early 80's

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3