Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 8/29/2023 at 2:02 AM, brookmill18 said:

@ReneeFLL and @FromSea2ShiningSea --I've been off CC for awhile and am reading backwards on the thread so not sure if you've already spoken about Jewel, but wondering what you think of the ship. My mom may move her TA in April of 2024 from Anthem to Jewel (to help me out) but I wasn't sure what Jewel would be like for a TA if the ship is a big part of the trip. She has some mobility issues so while she will get off in the ports, she does really love just being on the ship and meeting people--she travels solo. Just curious what you think of the ship itself--I feel badly that she might switch for me so just wanted to see about Jewel, Thanks!

It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like the big ones, but I think it’s nice. They have plenty of activities to help keep her busy and since the ship is a lot shorter (to me anyway) she will be able to get from place to place easier. The WJ can get packed at times and we haven’t been to the MDR yet. Don’t do specialty restaurants so I have no info there. The D lounge is very small and always packed from what we were told. I did go in there one day for breakfast and it was packed so I took it into Vortex. For the P lounge they are using the Vortex. There was one time where there were a few people standing, but other than that it’s been ok.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Her first Broadway musical.  Her mom took her for her ninth birthday which is today!IMG_6610.thumb.jpeg.a7d73323dc313f8e8e3942b36aa19bf7.jpeg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your Grandaughter. 

I'm so sorry I cannot remember her name.   

9 yrs old already, they grow up way too fast.

Love the photo she is a Star🤩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We had a lovely church service this morning and then sat at the beach overlooking the sea thinking we were on our aft balcony.

It is sunny and 24°C 75°F.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20230903_115147.jpg

Beautiful day to sit an look at the water!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:39 AM, NHProud said:

@Jimbo  I received an e-mail today from a friend I met on a Mediterranean cruise . She returned this past Friday from a cruise that visited Greenland and Iceland.  She commented that Greenland was enjoyable, unique and lovely . She’ll try to get photos to me and if she does I’ll forward them to you with her permission.  She used to live in Alaska and it reminded her of the small coastal villages back there.  She did say the temps were on the cool side. 

As for the Norwegian fjords, we spent a week in Kiruna , Sweden , then took the train to Narvik , Norway where we boarded a working boat that delivered supplies and mail down the coast . It docked for 15 minutes, and no more, or else see ya , except in Trondheim where we were offered an excursion.  Our final “ port “ was Bergen where we boarded a train to Stockholm .  Lovely scenery but a primitive boat.  

That would be such a fantastic way to see them. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 5:54 PM, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

We were expecting it to be really cold here in Akureyri, Iceland today but it turned out to be really nice.  No heavy jacket needed.  This was the path we took at the Godofoss Falls.

IMG_0715.thumb.jpeg.431cbfc4e6dcc5a94708adbc90983181.jpeg

IMG_0719.thumb.jpeg.12ef27136dad1b576f06f474afc26b6b.jpeg

IMG_0725.thumb.jpeg.9243221222158bf7c7237917260ee2b7.jpeg

Myvatn Lake

IMG_0763.thumb.jpeg.6914ed6f79e9a0e422c6efa6e19fea81.jpeg

Helen, we saw you walking towards the gift shop as our bus drove up. Since we had the extra day we decided to do the tour of the water falls. Looks like you walked on the far side of the falls?

On 8/31/2023 at 9:28 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Great pics! Did y'all go together?

No, we were on different tours. We didn’t set up any tours together.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

Back from our tour today.  We visited Dynjandi Waterfall.  The top one is a bridal veil and then 7 falls from there.  It was so spectacular and then it started to rain.  
IMG_1641.thumb.jpeg.f7303aa28a5ff6876b068dab093067bf.jpeg

A full rainbow on our way back to the ship.

IMG_1830.thumb.jpeg.a04796d86f97e36ec78640b287dc9306.jpeg

There were many other stops with awesome views but I will have to share them later.

Drinks for today - Flying Fortress & Watermelon Mint Lemonade 

IMG_1848.thumb.jpeg.395c88f2531fff87be5b03a5a8ad3085.jpeg

Bless, Bless.  Means Bye Bye in Icelandic

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 9:49 PM, mo&fran said:

Just got back from my radiation appointment. Thursdays, the Dr checks my progress, and he was impressed with the progress with the lumps decrease in size. Tuesda they will do scan, and he expects a big reduction in the power of the radiation to concentrate on eradicating the cancer.  

Now eating what I can, supplemented by PEG tube feedings.

That’s great news.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:41 AM, #55worktoplay said:

Beautiful pictures Renee.   I hope you are not freezing too much. 

I’m surprised I’m not as cold as I thought I would be. At the falls I only wore a long sleeve shirt and was fine. Today in Isafjordur the temps were in the forties and the sun wasn’t shining. Walked around town in a long sleeve shirt, my hat and scarf on and my packable (so it’s not very thick) down jacket (which I also just bought) tied around my waist. I think I was the only one not wearing a jacket. Everyone else was bundled up. Not really sure why I haven’t been freezing like I thought I would be. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

My biological father called me on Saturday to tell me that my great-aunt is in the hospital and not expected to survive.  I just chatted with her on FB a week ago, and we were both looking forward to meeting at the family reunion in Alabama in two weeks' time. 

At 95yo, she's the last of her generation.  I'm still kicking myself for not doing the DNA search years ago -- I could have met my grandmother (d. 2016) and another great-aunt who actually lived locally and just passed away earlier this year.  Pretty much all of those siblings lived well into their 90s and remained sharp as a tack right up to the end.  

I am so sorry to hear about your great-aunt, Debbie, and that you won't be able to meet her in person at the family reunion. It would've been so nice to hear stories of the family from the elders.  Please don't beat yourself up about your search.  The important thing is that you have finally connected, and it's been a happy and joyful connection!   Prayers for your great-aunt.🙏

There sure is a lot of longevity in your Dad's family! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Back from our tour today.  We visited Dynjandi Waterfall.  The top one is a bridal veil and then 7 falls from there.  It was so spectacular and then it started to rain.  

Awesome pictures, Helen!  Beautiful waterfalls!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s great news.

I’m surprised I’m not as cold as I thought I would be. At the falls I only wore a long sleeve shirt and was fine. Today in Isafjordur the temps were in the forties and the sun wasn’t shining. Walked around town in a long sleeve shirt, my hat and scarf on and my packable (so it’s not very thick) down jacket (which I also just bought) tied around my waist. I think I was the only one not wearing a jacket. Everyone else was bundled up. Not really sure why I haven’t been freezing like I thought I would be. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That is good I figured being from Florida you would find it cold. Heck I think I would be wearing the jacket if it was 40 and I’m used to the cold. Good for you. It looks like a spectacular cruise and so beautiful.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:12 AM, Keksie said:

Well this week has been a challenge.  My son moved to Florida for many reasons but one was to help his father  who was having some health problems.  Sunday my son called me to let me know his father had fallen while he was leaving a restaurant and had broken his hip.  Monday they did a hip replacement.  Tuesday my son called to say that his dad was being moved to icu because he was not doing well.  His dad ended up passing away that night.  It has been really hard on my son. Today the funeral home said the ME might have to do an autopsy to find a clear cause of death for the death certificate.   Even more challenging is the fact that my Ex left a financial mess for my son to decipher. My heart hurts for my son having to go through all this.  I am thankful that my son's fiance is such a wonderful young woman who has been there for him.

So very sorry to hear about your sons father.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:28 AM, h20skibum said:

It is only 49° at our house this morning.  

Speaking of good luck, it has been said that carrying an acorn in your pocket will bring you good luck.  

That being said, I already gathered seven “buckets of luck” from my yard yesterday.  If anyone needs one, I am sure I could market them like Royal and sell them at 30% off.  

IMG_8789.thumb.jpeg.bfb1da6672a4bef648f01734b1aa45f5.jpeg

Do you do anything in particular with them?

On 9/2/2023 at 12:24 AM, maggieq said:

With all the amazing pictures posted, we jumped booked a cabin today  on the 5/30/2024 Norway and arctic circle cruise on the jewel. So very excited.  Would love to hear any recommendations for hotels and tours in Amsterdam and of course any tour recommendations for the stops in Norway.  

I’ve been wanting to, but the going rates are to much for me.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 3:17 PM, Tree_skier said:

I'm loving your Pictures Helen.  I'm so wanting to do this Itinerary!  

Thanks, Dave.  I hope you will get a chance to do this itinerary.  It is amazing and like no other.

On 9/1/2023 at 3:33 PM, Sea Dog said:

Thank you I love this. I have always wanted to go to Europe for their Christmas Markets. Their hand made ornaments and glass blown ornaments are amazing. Love the line pic. I hope you didn't get yelled at. Extra points if you did.

Cheers!

The Christmas Market is something I would love to do someday, too.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:49 PM, Sea Dog said:

How’s Merv the Nerve behaving? I know my knee will appreciate the smaller ship Adventure this October.

Merv has been kind to me.  Sometimes he makes me know that he’s around and I just have to be kind back to him.  I hope the injection you had for your knee is working finally and be fine for your October cruise.

On 9/2/2023 at 3:12 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I had no interest in the Q class ships but booked Odyssey only because the date, price, and itinerary all fell in line. I absolutely love that ship and have her booked again this coming February. And I think she has the best Windjammer that I have been in.

I’m glad you love Odyssey.  I knew you are a Windjammer fan and I knew right away that you would love it on this ship.  That’s why I posted to you afterwards that you would love it or your money back.  I really wish I could go on Odyssey again.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Her first Broadway musical.  Her mom took her for her ninth birthday which is today!IMG_6610.thumb.jpeg.a7d73323dc313f8e8e3942b36aa19bf7.jpeg

Happy 9th birthday yo your granddaughter. 

10 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Do you do anything in particular with them?

Just dispose of them in yard waste.  This is the year for the big crop, so I will have between 700 and 800 gallons of them by the time they are all down. 

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

I just got caught up on the last ten days of posts (I really need to cut back on my work hours -- it's interfering with my internetting habit!). 

Offering sincere sympathies to those who have lost loved ones (human and pets alike) or received bad news.  

My biological father called me on Saturday to tell me that my great-aunt is in the hospital and not expected to survive.  I just chatted with her on FB a week ago, and we were both looking forward to meeting at the family reunion in Alabama in two weeks' time. 

At 95yo, she's the last of her generation.  I'm still kicking myself for not doing the DNA search years ago -- I could have met my grandmother (d. 2016) and another great-aunt who actually lived locally and just passed away earlier this year.  Pretty much all of those siblings lived well into their 90s and remained sharp as a tack right up to the end.  

Sorry to hear about your great aunt.  

I had an email from one of the ancestry sites today, and they were suggesting everyone tell some of their family stories, when together with family for Labor Day.  As I continue with my family history book, There are things I discovered that I wish I would have known earlier, and been able to ask my parents and grandparents.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I just read that Royal Caribbean gave everyone free margaritas, between 5 and 6 today, in honor of Jimmy. 

No one told us in the P lounge, but we didn’t really need any more drinks anyway. If they announced it on the ships it must have been mayhem.

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@ReneeFLL

I was checking out the Icon thread the other day.  I saw that the show will be The Wizard of Oz!  I bet that will be cool.  It's going to be fun exploring a new ship. 

I don’t think I’ve gotten any notifications of any more posts. I’ll need to go and check it out. The Wizard Of Oz will be great to see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

There were many other stops with awesome views but I will have to share them later.

Drinks for today - Flying Fortress & Watermelon Mint Lemonade 

IMG_1848.thumb.jpeg.395c88f2531fff87be5b03a5a8ad3085.jpeg

Helen, your pictures are really nice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

…The Christmas Market is something I would love to do someday, too...

You should go to some in Germany. The one we went to in Dresden was the best to us.

44 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

…Just dispose of them in yard waste.  This is the year for the big crop, so I will have between 700 and 800 gallons of them by the time they are all downa

Omg! That’s a lot.

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

And away they go.

Screenshot2023-09-03at2_14_02PM.thumb.png.98e0582ac71d1a4440cf6ae0b6aa0aa3.png

We are just leaving.

edited - I didn’t realize I was quoting a picture of us leaving. I thought it was the previous one where you said we were here. Believe it or not, the runway is right there on the other side of the ship. Just googled the info.

@Ocean Boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ísafjörður_Airport

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

@ReneeFLL  What Ports are you off to next?  Canada?

Here is the rest of the schedule so tomorrow is a cruising day. It’s going by way to fast.

9-04  CRUISING

9-05  PRINS CHRISTIAN SUND  2:30 - 8:30

9-06  QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND  7:00 - 4:00  

9-07  CRUISING

9-08  ST.JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND  2:30 - 10:00

9-09  CRUISING

9-10  HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA  7:00 - 5:00  

9-11  SYDNEY, NOVA SCOTIA  10:00 - 8:00

9-12  CRUISING

9-13  CRUISING

9-14  CAPE LIBERTY, NJ 7:00am

• Like 9