Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The common question (and pretty much the local joke) in Florida is.....

"Where are you from?".   Pretty much meaning most folks here are from another state.  Actual native born Floridians tend to be rare.  😉 

I am a native Floridian and have lived here the majority of my life. I've left a few times but always end up coming back.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I was not familiar with blinis so I had to look them up.  Just about all referred to them as Russian Blinis or Russian pancakes.  Martha Stewart showed small ones served with caviar on them.  They look smaller and thinner to the traditional pancakes here in the states.  Here many put butter and maple syrup on them.  What difference do you see in the two and how they are served or used.  I am tempted to make some.

"My" blinis are thinner than "your" (US) pancakes. They're neutral in taste. As to the size, you can use a small pot, or a medium pot. I prefer the small pot, easier to flip them. I'm also using a bit of soda water (beside milk), it gives them an airy texture.

I like them, as seen in the picture, smeared with sour cherry / blackberries / raspberries jam.

When cruising, I always look for them at WJ, or when they do it on the spot.

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, I have seen you post this before, sorry, that just doesn't appeal to me.  

First one is an Italian breakfast in an Italian restaurant pre cruise in Southampton England.

Second one was a Spanish breakfast 9 days ago in Spain.

Graham.

IMG_20210821_093454.jpg

IMG_20211110_101514.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

"My" blinis are thinner than "your" (US) pancakes. They're neutral in taste. As to the size, you can use a small pot, or a medium pot. I prefer the small pot, easier to flip them.

I like them, as seen in the picture, smeared with sour cherry / blackberries / raspberries jam.

When cruising, I always look for them at WJ, or when they do it on the spot.

That is why I like blinis instead of the pancakes we have.  Love the jams instead of maple syrup that is popular here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I was asking about changing the thread's wording, but thanks anyway 🌷

@island lady

They actually did that once in the very beginning...I think some of our friends complained...and it was brought back to the RCI boards.  

No, Pat, it was never moved 😁

I believe it was the Humor thread that was moved to Floataway & then moved back after a few people voiced their opinions. 😇

Is that thread still around?

As for this thread, the title is fine and I'll find it no matter where it ends up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Other than moving it to the Floataway Lounge, no. 

I thought the admins had the power to change thread titles?  I could have sworn I've seen in it the past with spelling errors.

Maybe they also have a time constraint and can only do it for the first few hours?

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I believe it was the Humor thread that was moved to Floataway & then moved back after a few people voiced their opinions. 😇

As for this thread, the title is fine and I'll find it no matter where it ends up.

Yes, the "humor" thread is still there but I gave up on it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yes, it is 😁

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I thought the admins had the power to change thread titles?  I could have sworn I've seen in it the past with spelling errors.

Maybe they also have a time constraint and can only do it for the first few hours?

I've tried with "Help". May be I'll ask again...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

It's pretty funny how so many remember it.  Tacky to the max, and probably so much fun.  😉  Have only seen the funny signs...have never been there.  

I don't know how they stay in business.  We pass it twice a year on our way to and from Florida....very, very few cars there!  We stopped once.  Many years ago.  I remember buying mariachis(?) for my grandchildren.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Trouble is...once you sell at that higher price...where do you go?  😉  

Everything to buy is higher as well, and very slim pickings.  😮 

Exactly!!  I heard there were 18 Condos sold in our Community this year at a very good price;  we have no plans on leaving there, but, as we and our friends all say, where do you go???

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The common question (and pretty much the local joke) in Florida is.....

"Where are you from?".   Pretty much meaning most folks here are from another state.  Actual native born Floridians tend to be rare.  😉 

When I lived in Ft, Lauderdale, the only person I knew who was born in Florida was a roommate of mine.  My niece was born in Florida (my brothers daughter), and she has 3 children all born there.  They are the only born Floridians I have ever come across.😁

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

You don't have to sell ME on NY  We moved to TX to be with my sister and family.  Now that my daughter lives in NJ, bought a home with an in-law suite, Jack and I are weighing our options.  Oh those grandkids are a strong pull!

Exactly, Bonnie!  Not only was one of our daughters living in NJ with two of our grandchildren, but our neighborhood in Staten Island had become quite crowded, traffic out of control.  I love it here;  trade-off is the higher real estate taxes, and the many, many trees (thousands of Fall leaves🧐).  We only had one tree on our property in NY.  So, I spent the morning mulching the leaves with the mower, and thought I'd tackle the front this afternoon.  I looked at the backyard not an hour later, and it's covered again.  Well, now it'll wait 

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Anyone else worried about Mimi?  

Yes, Marietta.  Praying every night for Mimi..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Well I'm bummed now. Just found out my April 2023 cruise on Jewell to Tortola BVI is being cancelled. Gotta see if there is another sailing to get me to the Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyke.

Greg, I found you one.... and on an excellent ship too....

7 Days Caribbean-Eastern

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Apex
Fort Lauderdale, San Juan, Tortola, Basseterre, Fort Lauderdale
1 departure dates: Apr 08 2023
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, the "humor" thread is still there but I gave up on it.

Thanks.  I gave up on it a very long time ago too. Hence, my not knowing. I rarely venture out of this thread with the exception of the occasional visit to the Bella thread or select "Live" reviews.

18 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I've tried with "Help". May be I'll ask again...

May I suggest a title such as "Welcome to Dani's Home For Wayward CC Posters to Share Food, Pet, Sunrise and Grandchildren Pictures and Other Various Random Routine Subjects".

That might be a little too lengthy, how about "Dani's Home of Routine Subjects"?

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Dani, how long ago did you notify CC Help? Good name change but to me nothing wrong if original name is kept. It just brings to mind how far we've come in this covid nightmare.

I agree. It's special. It's that one thread.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since I started off this latest round of talk about SS, I will talk a little about what I am doing with the SS office.  But first, I need to provide a little background. 

I retired at 65, and signed up for Medicare, but planned to wait until I was 70 to collect social security. I had run those numbers for payback, but since literally everyone in my family had lived to 90 or beyond, I figured the odds were in my favor. 

My pension is very generous, based on final salary times years of service times a multiplier.  When I looked at those factors, I realized I could retire and have a larger take home than I had while working.  It was a no brainer.   Both of us had the same type of retirement plan, and if one of us does pass away, the other will continue to receive the others pension. 

In the meantime, my wife retired at 60 and took her social security at 62.  When she took hers at 62, I was already at full retirement age for social security. 

So in something totally unexpected, social security notified me that, since my wife was retired and collecting social security, and I was full retirement age for social security at that point, I was eligible to to file and restrict.  This meant I could collect 50% of her benefit, continue to let mine grow 8% each year, then switch to my benefit at 70. 

Sounded like a win/win to me.  I figure this will give me enough extra now for a cruise per month.  Now if I can just convince her that is what we should do.  😂😂

A little about our taxes in Pennsylvania. 

Here, neither social security nor our pensions are taxed at the local level.  Same with the State, neither social security nor our pensions are taxed.  

Our State has a 6% sales tax, but food and clothing are exempt from that tax. Prescription and non-prescription drugs are also tax exempt. 

Now, if we could just figure how to get a cruise port in western Pennsylvania, and it would be perfect. 😀

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Speaking of the thread's title.... while one of my motto's in life is "if it's not broken, don't fix it", I decided to heed Pat's suggestion ( @island lady), and I think also John's ( @Ozark_Kid to change the "lockdown" word.

So I've asked at "CC Help" to change it from "in lockdown" to "during COVID".... so far, no reaction...

I believe the title of the thread should stay as it is, as a reminder of just how far we have come since the "lockdown" days, and how long it has taken us to get where we are today.  I just re-read the posts on the thread's first page.  People were scared, and this thread became a place to gather and interact safely.  I would hate to see the title generalized to the point where the admins move it to the Floataway Lounge, only to be unseen and forgotten.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, derorim said:

I believe the title of the thread should stay as it is, as a reminder of just how far we have come since the "lockdown" days, and how long it has taken us to get where we are today. 

Thanks, Joy.

If my asking to change the wording will receive no reply, I'll not pursue it further, and take it as a "sign".

We'll leave it as it was on the 1st day of "cleaning the fridge" 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, derorim said:

I believe the title of the thread should stay as it is, as a reminder of just how far we have come since the "lockdown" days, and how long it has taken us to get where we are today.  I just re-read the posts on the thread's first page.  People were scared, and this thread became a place to gather and interact safely.  I would hate to see the title generalized to the point where the admins move it to the Floataway Lounge, only to be unseen and forgotten.

Keep in mind also, Floataway  Lounge is hidden from anyone not logged on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1