Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Does anyone have any interesting or unusual New Years Eve stories?

I have had a few.

On December 31,1962 I was in Times Square to see 1963 come in.That was fantastic.

The following year  went with a friend to a party on Colonial Road In Bay Ridge Brooklyn.The party was great .However,when we left my friend Marvin could not get his car started .We walked a mile and a half to a bus stop,no buses ,just about 100 people waiting and we wound up walking home ,5 hours.

In 1970 friends of ours were invited to the residence of a Stage and TV actor.They were able to get Toby and I an invite as well.We entered and saw that all the walls and ceilings were painted black and the floors were covered with black mats.I just googled the actor .He is in his mid 80’s but is no longer acting.

We were married on Dec . 31, 1966.  

Greg , very cute puppy .  They are very lucky to have been adopted by you and Linda .  

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Oh yes, I have a New Year's Eve Story 1967 or 68.  This has been told before in here.  I was dating the brother in law of a songwriter who wrote songs for Spanky and Our Gang, the Animals among others. He asked us to come with him and his wife to a New Year's Eve party in a fabulous apt on the upper east side of Manhattan belonging to Neil Sedaka's songwriter, Howard Greenfield.  When Howard found out I was a Neil fan, he called Neil on the phone, "introduced" me and Neil sang Happy Birthday Sweet 16 to me over the phone.   Lenny, I remember your Sedaka story.  On the phone he sounded wonderful.

After our phone goodbye , Sally Field, yes THAT Sally Field entered the apartment with 2 of her entourage.  Sally was rude and hit on my boyfriend, picked up various canapes, smelled them and threw them back on the platter.  Yuck.  People were gushing how absolutely famous and talented she was.  Blechh was all I could think.  And my boyfriend didn't take the bait or I hope he didn't at the time.  To paraphrase a song I love, "Oh What a Night!!

Did  I post that Toby’s sister went to HS with Neil ?

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

I forgot, which ship is this?

General message. For all ships.

I think they are covering their backs after all the uproar of missing ports, covid cases, etc etc they are getting like saying just so you know before you cruise.😬

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 4

My sister's son in law has covid.   Fever, body aches, sore throat, flu like symptoms.  His wife and children were able to get tested and are awaiting the results.   My sister was on the phone for 4 hours until she finally found a place that would test her and her husband on Thursday.  They're quarantining until then just in case. All are tripled jabbed.  Glad Jack and I haven't been in contact with them since Thanksgiving.  

It seems to me that younger folks are exhibiting more flu like symptoms than older folks?  
"Our" age group seems to be more asymptomatic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've been off CC for almost a week.  Can't tell if I feel good about breaking my addiction, or sad about all of the posts that I've missed.  I was tempted to skip the last ~25 pages and just jump right back into it now, but I couldn't do it.  After more than an hour of reading, I'm finally caught up.

We drove to Cincinnati to spend Christmas with our daughters who still live there.  We drove part way on the 22nd and stayed overnight at the Village Hotel on the Biltmore Estate.  We had a 3 course candlelight evening dinner at the Stable Cafe, and then a candlelight evening tour of the Biltmore House.  I'll post more about this in a few days but I'd give the whole experience about a 5 (maybe a 6) out of 10.  

We had a great but short 3.5 days with our daughters and their boyfriends and followed several of our family Christmas traditions, including Alaskan King Crab legs and Rice-A-Roni for Christmas Eve dinner.  I don't remember how that combination came to be, but traditions must be followed.  DD26's BF is a chef and we also really enjoyed eating at his restaurant one night and then again in their apartment as he prepared a multicourse meal at home.  

We drove part way back to Florida and stayed in Spartanburg.  We saw the latest Spiderman movie while there.  We had heard some people say that it's the best Marvel movie yet, I'm guessing largely because of the plot twist that happens with the multiverse (no spoilers).  I definitely wouldn't agree with that, but it was enjoyable...other than the VERY loud sound system in the theater.  We then drove the rest of the way home today.  

We're home for a couple of hours to do laundry, check Cruise Critic, and get some sleep.  We are up at 5:30 tomorrow for another trip.  We have 4 couples from Cincinnati who were all neighbors and very good friends.  The husbands are all going to Streamsong Resort south of Orlando for 3 days of golf and the wives are all going to a condo in Bradenton that one couple has rented for the winter.  Once the guys are done golfing, we'll meet the wives in Bradenton for New Year's Eve/Day.  I'll therefore be off CC again for a few days.  There really is life outside of Cruise Critic!

Interested to hear more about your Biltmore experience.  We went for the 1st time in November and while we enjoyed just didn't see the rave reviews others have given.  Wondered if the candlelight tours would be worth another visit.

Enjoy the next trip, this is what retirement is all about, Happy New Year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Maryann I’m glad it did not end serious. I hope they are over the worst of it and will get better soon

Thank you, Greg.

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I put jam on first because if I put it on top of the clotted cream it falls off!

My first priority is taking a bite and tasting everything. Right or wrong!!

I'm with you, Mimi!  Yum!

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That must have been scary and could’ve had terrible consequences. 

Either Lizzy is very small or that’s one big cat. 😹

Thank you, Renee.  It would've been pretty bad.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank god is right - happy to hear you all avoided a crash.     

Is the other car ok?

The other car held way back after she realized what she'd almost done.  Seriously, Jim really hit the gas and avoided a really bad accident.  Our guardian angel was with us today.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Busy day.    Dropped off Eric this morning at 9 am for his colonoscopy and endoscopy, came home and cleaned bathrooms, tore beds aparts, etc etc.   Frenzy of laundry today while working from home. 

Picked up Eric about 1.5 hours later and they said he did Great!    Everything looked good, the polyps he previously had 3 years ago did not grow back.   Doc said all good for another 5 years.    😍

Eric had already told me his breakfast order from local diner so we did curbside pick up and back to work at home. 

I'm so happy that all went well with Eric today!  My goodness, Debbie, you are like a whirling dervish with the energy you expended today!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Oh yes, I have a New Year's Eve Story 1967 or 68.  Oh What a Night!!

Oh what a night is right, Bonnie!  Such a shame to hear that about Sally Field.  I always liked her.  My daughter and former SIL both worked in Restaurants etc and they've told me some stories about different celebrities.  Some not nice at all, rude, etc and some that were wonderful.  My daughter was just talking about Alex Trebeck the other night and said what a wonderful and down to earth person he was.

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

We were married on Dec . 31, 1966.    

Happy Anniversary!!!!

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Happy almost anniversary #55.My wife and I will hit #55 on January 22,2022

Happy Anniversary to you and Toby, Lenny!

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

So glad “you’re keeping him” … wise decision 😎

Dani, you are too much!  LOL!

34 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

My sister's son in law has covid.   Fever, body aches, sore throat, flu like symptoms.  His wife and children were able to get tested and are awaiting the results.   My sister was on the phone for 4 hours until she finally found a place that would test her and her husband on Thursday.  They're quarantining until then just in case. 

I hope no one else in the family gets the virus.  It's almost impossible to get tested or you wait forever for results.  Enough with this virus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't really know how that tradition started.  We've been doing it for so long that I've forgotten.  Micheline loves crab legs and I think we decided to go with something a little different on Christmas Eve since Christmas dinner itself is typically turkey with all the fixings.  Our daughters have loved Rice-A-Roni since they were little.  I'm guessing we made it so that they would have something they liked while they learned to enjoy crab (which they now love!). 

Congrats on Lizzy AND Charlie.  That is awesome news.  Adding Charlie was probably not an inexpensive decision, but they will be best friends throughout their lives.  

I like your choices, Bob. In my opinion, Alaskan King Crab legs are nature's most perfect food. :classic_biggrin: If only they weren't so expensive. Our Dungeness Crab (2nd choice) season has been delayed because the whales are migrating :classic_rolleyes: and will finally open on Dec. 29. So, we might have crab for New Year's. (If the weather improves) :classic_biggrin: And you can't go wrong with Rice-A-Roni. :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I hope no one else in the family gets the virus.  It's almost impossible to get tested or you wait forever for results.  Enough with this virus.

If I didn't need a test result for a cruise, work, etc., since so hard to get a test appointment,

Jack and I would err on the side of caution and quarantine for the recommended length of time which I think now is 5 days.  However, I still would like to know.

I read that in order to get a clear test result, one should wait a few days before taking a test after coming in contact with an infected person.  Maybe OB, our resident physician can comment? His advice is usually spot on.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I like your choices, Bob. In my opinion, Alaskan King Crab legs are nature's most perfect food. :classic_biggrin: If only they weren't so expensive. Our Dungeness Crab (2nd choice) season has been delayed because the whales are migrating :classic_rolleyes: and will finally open on Dec. 29. So, we might have crab for New Year's. (If the weather improves) :classic_biggrin: And you can't go wrong with Rice-A-Roni. :classic_smile:

I remember one time when we were in the buffet at the MGM Grand Hotel in Vegas, they had crab legs split down the middle from one end to the other exposing all that lusciousness.  No cracking was necessary.  They didn't make money off of me that dinner. 😋

• Like 5