Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I still have the two VCR’s that I bought in the early 80’s.I have hundreds of VHS tapes plus my wedding video was converted from whatever was used in 1967 for filming .

The VCR my Dad bought the family would probably still work if I still had it but it was rather large so I had bought a streamlined version sometime in the mid/late 90s.  I still kept a VCR and my DVD players but neither have been used in a couple of years.  

We kept some vcr tapes but have lots and lots of DVD movies stored in plastic tubs in our basement. Every now and then our youngest Son will grab something from the storage box to watch.

58 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Thank God for this thread.🙏

Thank you Dani!🥰

I am mentally fatigued just reading the main RC board's threads. These people are worse than the relentless squirrel in my back yard that keeps trying and trying to topple the bird feeder everytime I straighten it out. These fear mongers are starting thread after thread even when mods are deleting and locking them down. And all the arm chair covid pundits are just biting into the discussion!  I have disabled all the alerts so I am not tempted to read them. Infuriating!

You summed it up very well.  I have been jumping in on a couple threads and some are all doom and gloom.  I got rid of alerts a long time.

• Like 4

I went into Providence today to Federal Hill ( RI’s version of Little Italy) for some handmade pasta and ravioli to bring to oldest DD’s in PA this weekend.  This guy was patrolling the streets. If you’ve never seen one close up, they are HUGE!  His back was nearly as tall as me.  Such beautiful animals.  

E9EE7A26-B1E9-4A43-9118-696955E7B805.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I went into Providence today to Federal Hill ( RI’s version of Little Italy) for some handmade pasta and ravioli to bring to oldest DD’s in PA this weekend.  This guy was patrolling the streets. If you’ve never seen one close up, they are HUGE!  His back was nearly as tall as me.  Such beautiful animals.  

You are right they are massive and beautiful and Regal.🤩

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jagsfan said:

So guess what I did Tuesday!

I tripped over my own feet and hit the wall with my forehead. 
Wound up face down  (on my new pacemaker) between my dresser and my nightstand. 
Couldn’t push myself backwards or turn over. I yelled for a while, but Dick couldn’t hear me. He said later he could hear something but thought it was people yelling at the football game he was watching. 
Eventually I guess I yelled during a commercial, because he came running. 
The only way to get me out from between the furniture was pulling me by the ankles.

Which hurt!

Finally out in the clear, I was able to turn over and scoot to where I could lean against the bed. That’s when we saw the trail of blood from the carpet peeling the skin from my right arm. 
We tried getting me off the floor, but my knees wouldn’t hold me and I didn’t want Dick to have a heart attack trying to lift my dead weight. I asked him to hand me my phone and I used my SOS app to call 911. 
10 minutes later, 5 firefighters were here discussing how to get me up without using my left side. Because of the pacemaker. 
Once up, I said I was fine and Happy New Year and sent them on their way.
Doesn’t everyone say “I’m fine” after a fall or other accident?
So, my replacement knee is grotesquely swollen and painful. 
My natural knee won’t straighten and keeps wanting to buckle. 
My neck got wrenched back, and is really stiff. 
My forehead has a big bump and scratches from the wall. 
The pacemaker is still working…Hallelujah!

I already had an appointment this afternoon with my primary doctor for my post hospitalization follow up. That must be required by Medicare, because I had to have one last month, too. 
I’m sure he will say once all the swelling goes down, I’ll be fine. 
2022 has just got to be better than 2021, at least these last two months!!

I’m attaching  a photo of my poor injured bedroom wall. Thank goodness I’m 100% German, with a hard head!

8BB05598-EA5F-4383-8281-3CB03B0A328F.jpeg

You are like the Timex watch. You take a licking and keep in ticking.  😄

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

What a beautiful horse.  I looked up their website to confirm it was a Clysdale before I commented. Charlie the Clydsdale.  Have always loved this breed as my dad always spoke fondly of them from his childhood living on a farm in Devon.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, derorim said:

I'm amazed by the things you can remember.  How do you do that?

I began writing a journal when I was 13 ,hand written and with a typewriter.

Years later I bought bound books with blank pages and began keeping notes about important things in my life ,family celebrations ,people who attended the celebrations .Names of school friends ,co-workers ,teachers ,etc.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Hey all, you are one day early with the wishes but how Dani remembered is beyond me.

December 31, 1971 is the actual day, which makes tomorrow a milestone birthday for me tomorrow.😮

Its midday on the  31st  December here, so I can wish you a wonderful birthday and Happy New Year too (for tommorrow)

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Happy to hear the PT helped with her leg pain but so sorry to hear she is dealing with the back issues and osteoporosis.

The other day when you asked if anyone knew about Prolia I looked it up and saw a list of horrible side effects.  Definitely worth consulting with others before a decision for best treatment is made.  

She is my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you,Debbie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Thank God for this thread.🙏

Thank you Dani!🥰

I am mentally fatigued just reading the main RC board's threads. These people are worse than the relentless squirrel in my back yard that keeps trying and trying to topple the bird feeder everytime I straighten it out. These fear mongers are starting thread after thread even when mods are deleting and locking them down. And all the arm chair covid pundits are just biting into the discussion!  I have disabled all the alerts so I am not tempted to read them. Infuriating!

Love the squirrel anology.  Mods certainly are being kept busy putting out the relentless spot fires of doom & gloom.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Hey all, you are one day early with the wishes but how Dani remembered is beyond me.

December 31, 1971 is the actual day, which makes tomorrow a milestone birthday for me tomorrow.😮

Happy almost Birthday, Andrew.  And to my husband. He beat you by a few years, though.  😉🙃

Congrats on your special bday.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Deb how are your Florida plans coming along?

Just today we booked 7 nights in early February at an air bnb in Ft Lauderdale, Las Olas area. From there we go to Siesta Key Village, a cottage rental just a block from the beach. We’ll probably stop for a day visit to Naples in our way to Siesta Key. Then finally 3 nights at WDW.  I tried to extend that to include our anniversary on the 19th but no availability.  I doubt we’ll even go to any parks. This is a “free” stay 🤣with DVC points.  It’s nice to have something to look forward to! 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

BTW shelves continue to need re-stocking.....sigh.  

7 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, I loved our car trips from TX to NJ.  I would get in the car tomorrow to do it all over again.  Jack said no way and never again. 🤣

I loved my road trip to TX and back to NY earlier this month. 2 1/2 days to Houston (overnight in Bristol, VA and outside New Orleans) and then me & my step daughter took turns driving back straight thru 30 hours. First 20 hours we talked non-stop over each other, the last 10 hours was total silence. LOL. I found out that Loves Travel Stop (used to be Loves Truck Stop but they re-branded to be family friendly) is the best place to pull over. Clean, brightly lit, super friendly employee and everything in stock that a road warrior would need from snacks to windshield wipes to showers and some personal items.....very personal. 😲

3,400 miles round trip was the longest road trip I've done in decades. I'd say I'm looking forward to doing it again but that would mean I'm driving her back & that I'm not ready for that yet.  Although I do get to stop at Buc'ees again. 😉

As for the out-of-stock shelves, I've read about the supply chain problem and I don't understand it. I found the supply chain. It was an endless amount of trucks on the aforementioned 3,400 mile drive. Seriously, I left like I was in a "Smokey & the Bandit" or "Convoy" movie from the 70's. 18-wheelers as far as the eye could see. 

"Breaker-Breaker, that's a big 10-4 Rubber Duck. Smokey on the prowl and a bear in the air".

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 9
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The VCR my Dad bought the family would probably still work if I still had it but it was rather large so I had bought a streamlined version sometime in the mid/late 90s.  I still kept a VCR and my DVD players but neither have been used in a couple of years.  

We kept some vcr tapes but have lots and lots of DVD movies stored in plastic tubs in our basement. Every now and then our youngest Son will grab something from the storage box to watch.

We have a DVD player in our living room with many DVD’s but I very rarely go there .My children bought me a portable DVD player that  I keep in one of my bedroom closets and every year for both Fathers Day and my birthday they buy me DVD’s .

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I once had the opportunity to spend some time up close with the Budweiser Clydesdales. I was so infatuated with them

IMG_1346.thumb.JPG.1037402fd58f0471b0ab7464e1cb7e1d.JPGIMG_1389.thumb.JPG.d7ddee32a1f4a1f6ee203cad760b1fed.JPG

• Like 16

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

My grandmother watched Sam Levinson on a teeny b&w screen in a dark room. 
We’d be visiting Long Island from Florida, but everything stopped when Sam Levinson came on. 

I was friends with his son Conrad and was in the Levinson house a lot.

Sam was a teacher at one time In Tilden HS in Brooklyn.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I bought the original Betamax in 1976 , only had one hour tapes , the Betamax cost 1100 and each tape was about 14 . Still have a old vcr and a huge collection of dvds and hundreds of albums. We go on a annual 70’s music charter cruise and get lots of our CDs and albums signed by original artist like America and Michael McDonald, sadly one of my favorites who we met last year BJ Thomas passed away this year.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today,in 1953 the first color TV was sold in the US for a mere 11,000 dollars.

I remember an episode of "The Honeymooners" (one of the best TV comedies this side of "I Love Lucy") where Alice is begging Ralph to buy a TV set and mention that they even come in color now. Ralph replies he's waiting until 3-D TV comes out.

70 years later, still waiting.

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Fast forward to sometime in the 70s when Jack and I bought my parents their first color tv.  My father said the color was too bold and didn't look natural.  May he rest in peace, he never took to progress well.  

My dad said the same thing as your dad. Except my dad got used to it pretty quickly and complained whenever we would watch a B&W show on TV.

Apparently  ,we were "wasting" the TV. LOL

• Like 5
  • Haha 2