Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

When we were doing our countertops years ago and wanted black, my friend told us it would show everything.  Well, we got the black, like I wanted.  My friend was right...it looked very nice, and it did show everything.

And, you will love it!!!!!

When we downsized to an apt., we had to buy new "smaller" sized furniture.  Not taking my own advice, we bought a black dresser to match our new black wrought iron bed.  That dresser looks dusty 10 minutes after it's been dusted.  Lesson learned late.  We do love it, though.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I was going to explain and found this better explanation.

“What is a return vent? These vents suck the air from each room and send it back to the air conditioning or heating system. Return vents tend to be bigger than supply vents, and you won't feel any air coming from them. When an HVAC system delivers air to a room, it increases that room's air pressure.”

Thanks, Greg.  Not sure I understand all of it.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I read about and see pictures of your wonderful life with Pauline I regret all the things that I did not do why I was physically able.

Lenny, don't regret the travels you didn't get to experience.  Be happy for those that you did.  

I know I am.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We have just got home after an amazing 14 night cruise on the new P&O Iona.

We had fantastic views from our Aft Balcony cabin. Graham.

Graham and Pauline, so glad you had a fitting celebration for Pauline's XX birthday. In reading various reviews, it seems that Iona is an excellent ship. The itinerary was awesome.

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Friends of ours just lost a very dear friend of theirs today.  They are here in Naples, their deceased friend is up in Massachusetts.

8 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, please add me to those that offer condolences on your friend's loss.

+ 2 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jagsfan said:

My daughter liked her granite till she realized it showed water rings and stains. They put quartz in their new house and love it. 

Yes, we are using quartz. They say it's much easier taking care of.

8 hours ago, Keksie said:

This is the backsplash I had installed.  When we bought the house there was just a sheet of metal behind the stovetop.  

Backsplash.thumb.jpeg.33a2f70ad1359342d0c74d8e32ccc703.jpeg

Do you remember the name/brand of that tile and what color mortar  did you use, we want something just like that where the mortar we use matches the tile

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

BTW, what is an air return?  I have seen some homes with a grate in the floor but never asked what it was for.  Is that what a return is?

K, let me try to explain. If you have hot water heat/boiler(baseboard) heat you have no need for a return duct with a grill and filter.

But if you have central air or Hot air heat where a blower comes on and pushes the warm or cool air into each room or space you need a return duct with a grill and filter to get the air from in your house.

Your heater or AC unit blower comes on and sucks air through the return duct  and then passes it either through your heater or AC unit to give you either cold or hot air out into the little grills you see somewhere in each of your rooms in your house.

Return grill size is determined by  how many  little grill units in each room in your house. If the return grill size is to small, when the blower comes on it will come on with a bang as it's trying to pull to much air through the dust work to get out to  the little grills.

The noise can be very annoying when you hear the heat and cooling going off and on all night when trying to sleep.

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

It was granite, Jim.  Black with some speckling, not a lot.

Going with quartz, because it's easier taking care of then granite............any dust I will make sure my Wife takes care of it ! 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

K, let me try to explain. If you have hot water heat/boiler(basebeboard) heat you have no need for a return duct with a grill and filter.

But if you have central air or Hot air heat where a blower comes on and pushes the warm or cool air into each roo or space you need a return duct with a grill and filter to get the air from in your house.

Your heater or AC unit blower comes on and sucks air through the return duct  and then passes it either through your heater or AC unit to give you either cold or hot air out into the little grills you see somewhere in each of your rooms in your house.

Return grill size is determined by  how many  little grill units in each room in your house. If the return grill size is to small, when the blower comes on it will come on with a bang as it's trying to pull to much air through the dust work to get out to  the little grills.

The noise can be very annoying when you hear the heat and cooling going off and on all night when trying to sleep.

Going with quartz, because it's easier taking care of then granite............any dust I will make sure my Wife takes care of it ! 🙂

Thanks for the explanation.  We always had baseboard heat and ceiling grates for A/C in the 3 homes we owned, 2 in NY and one in TX.    I know some have what's called forced air conditioning but that's not what we had.  Folks have what's called swamp A/C in El Paso where my sister lived.  Windows had to be left open a crack I think to counter the humidity that builds up with that type of A/C.

Glad I always had effective quiet heat and A/C for the most part. However, I still cringe at how high the electric bill was during all those hot 100+ degree TX summers living in a large 2 story house where it always was unbearable on the 2nd floor unless the A/C was running full blast. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

When we downsized to an apt., we had to buy new "smaller" sized furniture.  Not taking my own advice, we bought a black dresser to match our new black wrought iron bed.  That dresser looks dusty 10 minutes after it's been dusted.  Lesson learned late.  We do love it, though.

Thanks, Greg.  Not sure I understand all of it.

Lenny, don't regret the travels you didn't get to experience.  Be happy for those that you did.  

I know I am.

I am happy for those that I did but I regret never going to many places .

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thanks for the explanation.  We always had baseboard heat and ceiling grates for A/C in the 3 homes we owned, 2 in NY and one in TX.    I know some have what's called forced air conditioning but that's not what we had.  Folks have what's called swamp A/C in El Paso where my sister lived.  Windows had to be left open a crack I think to counter the humidity that builds up with that type of A/C.

Glad I always had effective quiet heat and A/C for the most part. However, I still cringe at how high the electric bill was during all those hot 100+ degree TX summers living in a large 2 story house where it always was unbearable on the 2nd floor unless the A/C was running full blast. 

Yes, heat rises, can be a pain to cool  the 2nd floor in the summertime. Hot air heat is not the best, because when it comes on it can really feel nice and warm but when it goes off you can feel the shill alittle bit before it kicks back on.

Hot water/boiler heat is the best it's a more equal heat. Not the big temperature swings.

Never heard of swamp A/C where you leave the windows cracked......seems like a humidifier installed in the Ac unit would take care of some of the humidity problems you might see in your area.

I'm googling it now.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Little bit of info about Swamp Heat, amazing they used this kind of cooling for your area where it's very hot.

Got a feeling these swamp heaters work just about as well as the fridge on a cruise ship in your cabin.  LOL

Can’t You Fix My Swamp Cooler?

If your evaporative cooler just isn’t giving you the output you need, there’s probably not much we can do. You may need a bit of a refresher on how your evaporative cooler works. There is a “cooling pad” that is really just moistened. There are no refrigerated components whatsoever!

Instead, a swamp cooler relies on the natural process of evaporation made easier thanks to our dry climate. (That’s why it is technically called an evaporative cooler. You wouldn’t want to use it in a swamp!) As the fan moves dry, warm, outside air over the pad, the water evaporates. This process requires heat, which means the air loses some of its heat as it moves to your home.

If it’s not working properly, it could be the fan motor or a lack of moisture reaching the pad. More likely though, there’s just a bit of humidity in the air. You cannot expect a swamp cooler to lower temperatures much more than about 10°, and if it’s humid out, forget about it! (Let’s not forget about monsoon season.)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Friends of ours just lost a very dear friend of theirs today.  They are here in Naples, their deceased friend is up in Massachusetts.

Jim and I just went to the store to pick up flowers and cookies for our friends.  As we were at the register, didn't they just walk in....

Sorry for your friends loss,Maryanne.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Little bit of info about Swamp Heat, amazing they used this kind of cooling for your area where it's very hot.

Got a feeling these swamp heaters work just about as well as the fridge on a cruise ship in your cabin.  LOL

Can’t You Fix My Swamp Cooler?

If your evaporative cooler just isn’t giving you the output you need, there’s probably not much we can do. You may need a bit of a refresher on how your evaporative cooler works. There is a “cooling pad” that is really just moistened. There are no refrigerated components whatsoever!

Instead, a swamp cooler relies on the natural process of evaporation made easier thanks to our dry climate. (That’s why it is technically called an evaporative cooler. You wouldn’t want to use it in a swamp!) As the fan moves dry, warm, outside air over the pad, the water evaporates. This process requires heat, which means the air loses some of its heat as it moves to your home.

If it’s not working properly, it could be the fan motor or lack of moisture reaching the pad. More likely though, there’s just a bit of humidity in the air. You cannot expect a swamp cooler to lower temperatures much more than about 10°, and if it’s humid out, forget about it! (Let’s not forget about monsoon season.)

We don't have swamp cooling in Dallas.  Can't have it with "high" humidity.  It was in El Paso where I saw the window opened a crack where there is hardly ever humidity.  Owners gave me a tutorial but I still didn't get it.  CCers are the best!!

On a totally unrelated note, for those interested, James Patterson has the newest Women's Mystery Club book coming out in May titled 22 Seconds.  My library still doesn't list it for holds yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am happy for those that I did but I regret never going to many places .

Lenny, may be you are not as well traveled as some people but you have met lots of interesting, famous people over years.  Not everyone has done that🥰

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Do you remember the name/brand of that tile and what color mortar  did you use, we want  

I don't remember.  I had a really good tile guy and I just told him I wanted a border around the mural ( I bought it first online) and subway tile with an appropriate grout.  He made it happen.  You could probably show your tile guy this picture and he would know what to do. I have found that a really good tile guy is important.  We had one in Texas too and it makes a big difference.  My neighbor across the street tried to get the same shower floor as we had and it took 2 tries to get it right.

• Like 4