Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Honestly, if I hit powerball tonight I'm pretty sure I'd be at work tomorrow. Nothing wrong with money. It is good for buying cruises.🙂 Problem is I love being a doctor.

I don't think that is a problem....it's a wonderful thing that you do and that you love!!  How lucky for your patients and the kids on the football field.  I'm sure they all love you!

We've been going to a dentist who is not only a great dentist, but also a generous philanthropist.  Sadly for us, he's already downsizing his days at work, and we know the day is coming that he will be retiring.  He has certainly earned it, but he will be sorely missed by not only us, but by his many patients.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Lionesss said:

...Now I  can log into CC and sign on.

But it will not let me stay logged on.

Every time I go to my computer it makes me re-log-on.

So, once again DH went to settings and all my other site loggins appeared with correct password.

But the site for CC will not let me put in the password.

Hi Sue, can you clarify your problem?

Is it that you can log into Cruise Critic on your computer, but it requires you to log in again every time you go to there? 

Or is it that when you go to Cruise Critic on your computer, it will not let you enter your user name and password, and therefore you cannot log in?

31 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes, it increases if you delay it, but you are getting a check for more periods of time (IE more checks) the earlier you retire.  Then the present value calculation since there is inflation (and at the moment increasing rapidly) a dollar is worth more today than a dollar 5 years from now.  As I mentioned earlier, the key is knowing if you are going to die on which side of say 85, would greatly affect the simple math.  

I did a spreadsheet and without even considering inflation (since that is a bit of an unknown) that if you live to less than 80 the difference in taking the money at 62 is not that significant compared to taking it at 70.  If you die at 69 it is a no-brainer.  🤣

JC

My dad took SS and 62 and lived 31 more years , all depends if you need the money , wife has a very good job so no big rush , I retired at 65 and started collecting a little over 67. Most of my friends took it at 65 or a little under . Only reason I started at 67 was we did a very expensive Mediterranean cruise , in a suite. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Thanks. 🤩  I have been online way more than usual since I have been stuck at home since our cruise..  Finally got to see my Mom yesterday.

Have you been quarantining at home since the end of September?    The CDC has new rule of only 5 days of quarantining.    I went back to work after 5 days of quarantine.

Glad to you were to see your Mom.   I am sure she was happy to see you too!

• Like 1

Just to add my 2 cents to the texting conversation,  I've been able to text when out of the country from my Samsung  phone while in airplane mode while connected to WiFi and WiFi calling turned off.  I used Message+ which is the texting app from Verizon which allows WiFi only texting. The Samsung Android texting app called Messages (no + sign) that came with the phone would not allow me to text in WiFi only. 

I'm not sure if you need to be a Verizon customer to use the Message+ app or if it can be downloaded. It was already preloaded on my phone.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Have you been quarantining at home since the end of September?    The CDC has new rule of only 5 days of quarantining.    I went back to work after 5 days of quarantine.

Glad to you were to see your Mom.   I am sure she was happy to see you too!

The 5 day CDC quarantine guideline isn't new at all, that was the policy when I had Covid on Quantum in May.  I didn't have Covid anyway.  I got sick on the October 9th sailing of Oasis and had to go to medical.  I had tested myself for Covid and they tested me too but I had to isolate in my cabin for 24 hours until I had two negative Covid tests.  I have been home since the cruise because I didn't respond to the meds they gave me on the ship and wasn't getting better.  My PCP tested me for Covid and influenza, negative for both.  Stronger meds from my PCP have me breathing better and sounding less like a seal.  

I had to stay away from my Mom to protect her, plus I just haven't felt well enough to go up to NH anyways.  She was happy to see me and I was able to get her settled.  My sister did go up a few times, we just do different things when we go there and I know my Mom gets anxious if certain things aren't done.

• Like 3

I like to think that I'll live until I'm 120 but longevity does not run in my families DNA. Very few have made it past 80.  In fact, I can only think of a Great-Grandmother that made it to 86 and perhaps an uncle in his low 80's. So when I read that if you start taking SS at 62 vs waiting until 67, you'll be ahead of the game until around 80-82 which is the break-even point when the higher payments puts your ahead.

So, it'll probably be a simple math choice for me. Take the money while I can. Fortunately, it's a decision I won't have to make for 4 more years.  Complicating matters will be healthcare as Medicare doesn't kick in until 65. 

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, George C said:

I definitely envy people who love there job, for us it was a job is a job , we always liked paychecks. Another thing on SS is every month you delay it will increase what you get . Had a busy day yesterday got flu shot and voted , unfortunately candidate we want is a very long shot , since we lean liberal in a very conservative state. 

I loved my job of 25 years because I worked with wonderful people and made long term friendships.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I like to think that I'll leave to 120 but longevity does not run in my families DNA. Very few have made it past 80.  In fact, I can only think of a Great-Grandmother that made it to 86 and perhaps an uncle in his low 80's. So when I read that if you start taking SS at 62 vs waiting until 67, you'll be ahead of the game until around 80-82 which is the break-even point when the higher payments puts your ahead.

So, it'll probably be a simple math choice for me. Take the money while I can. Fortunately, it's a decision I won't have to make for 4 more years.  Complicating matters will be healthcare as Medicare doesn't kick in until 65. 

My wife family history isn’t very good her dad passed in his 40’s , mom in her 70’s and only sister at 60. But she takes way better care than they do, works out at camp gladiator 4 days a week at 5 am, watches what she eats etc . My parents lasted to the 90’s and several aunts and uncles also. Medical testing is better than ever .

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, George C said:

My wife family history isn’t very good her dad passed in his 40’s , mom in her 70’s and only sister at 60. But she takes way better care than they do, works out at camp gladiator 4 days a week at 5 am, watches what she eats etc . My parents lasted to the 90’s and several aunts and uncles also. Medical testing is better than ever .

One  thing I do have going in my favor is I do take better care of myself.  Never smoked although I did grow up in a family of smokers - both parents, my 3 older siblings and all their friends, etc. I do exercise & try to eat right most of the time. Everything in moderation.

I have my annual physical with my family doctor tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I've been extra good the past few weeks trying to get my "fake body" ready & make sure all my numbers - weight, BP, cholesterol,etc - are where they need to be. 😄

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I like to think that I'll live until I'm 120 but longevity does not run in my families DNA. Very few have made it past 80.  In fact, I can only think of a Great-Grandmother that made it to 86 and perhaps an uncle in his low 80's. So when I read that if you start taking SS at 62 vs waiting until 67, you'll be ahead of the game until around 80-82 which is the break-even point when the higher payments puts your ahead.

I had a cousin who died at age 102 in 1969.We named our younger daughter after her.Our daughter will be 45 in December and looks 20 years younger.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is your greatest memory of great baseball ? For me it was the 50’s with Mantle,Mays and Snider.

I would say the Yankee dynasty of 1996-2001 with Tino Martinez, David Cone, Paul O'Neil (whose #21 jersey I wear to every game), Bernie Williams and of course, Marino Riveria. The Reggie Jackson teams of the late 70's were certainly very good to but I was still a teenager and didn't appreciate it as much back then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

One  thing I do have going in my favor is I do take better care of myself.  Never smoked although I did grow up in a family of smokers - both parents, my 3 older siblings and all their friends, etc. I do exercise & try to eat right most of the time. Everything in moderation.

I have my annual physical with my family doctor tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I've been extra good the past few weeks trying to get my "fake body" ready & make sure all my numbers - weight, BP, cholesterol,etc - are where they need to be. 😄

I am dealing with 13 illnesses several of which there is no cure for .However,my cholesterol levels have always been excellent.I was overweight as a child till the latter part of 1967 .I went on a strict diet ,lost 66 pounds and never gained it back.I do not smoke or drink although I did both when I was younger and believe it or night have not had a serious argument with anyone since I was 24 years old.In three months I will be celebrating my 56th.wedding anniversary .

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The 5 day CDC quarantine guideline isn't new at all, that was the policy when I had Covid on Quantum in May.  I didn't have Covid anyway.  I got sick on the October 9th sailing of Oasis and had to go to medical.  I had tested myself for Covid and they tested me too but I had to isolate in my cabin for 24 hours until I had two negative Covid tests.  I have been home since the cruise because I didn't respond to the meds they gave me on the ship and wasn't getting better.  My PCP tested me for Covid and influenza, negative for both.  Stronger meds from my PCP have me breathing better and sounding less like a seal.  

I had to stay away from my Mom to protect her, plus I just haven't felt well enough to go up to NH anyways.  She was happy to see me and I was able to get her settled.  My sister did go up a few times, we just do different things when we go there and I know my Mom gets anxious if certain things aren't done.

Did they test you for RSV? It is everywhere lately though not typically dangerous for an otherwise healthy adult.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I know from previous x-rays 4 years ago there is arthritis in my hip but it affects both hips now and feels worse.

I will discuss the x-rays with my doctor when he gets the results.

Graham.

I sure hope the doctor can help with your hip problems.

Happy, Happy Birthday to you today, Graham!!🎂

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Sunshine3601 🤞your new refrigerator is delivered as scheduled. Appliance & car breakdowns really stink, especially nowadays with supply chain and staffing issues.  
@LuckynanaCongratulations! Such wonderful accomplishments by your grandchildren!  
@grapau27 wishing you a very Happy Birthday Graham 🎂!!

Thank you, Deb!!  Are you all packed and ready to go?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Did they test you for RSV? It is everywhere lately though not typically dangerous for an otherwise healthy adult.

No, I wished they did!  The ship only did an antigen test because I had no fever. Quantum back in May did the PCR test that test for Covid, info and RSV. The PCP only did the PCR that’s for Covid and influenza A and B. All you hear in the news right now is RSV though. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I would say the Yankee dynasty of 1996-2001 with Tino Martinez, David Cone, Paul O'Neil (whose #21 jersey I wear to every game), Bernie Williams and of course, Marino Riveria. The Reggie Jackson teams of the late 70's were certainly very good to but I was still a teenager and didn't appreciate it as much back then.

Tino in my opinion was very underrated.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yankees had so many great teams in my life , my all time favorite was Mickey Mantle and who didn’t love Yogi. I was born in 1949 so between then and 1964 Yankees only missed two World Series (1954, 1959) . I doubt Mickey World Series records will ever be broken he has most home runs , runs scored and rbis , Berra has the most hits. 

• Like 3