Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Rarely... Last time in Jerusalem - 2013.

At the coast, where we live, 1951....😉

Today, the storm is in... look how dark are the skies. Again, another "face" of Mother Nature.

Wow that it is certainly ‘black over Bill’s mother’s’ as they used to say in my family.  The Teletherapy session I had with a family from Tel Aviv showed such lovely skies back in January.  I did not realise that it could go so nasty.  I still want to visit Israel though.  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Mmmmm.  I live for pancake day.  Pancakes for breakfast, savoury for supper and then fruit for dessert.  I still love to look at pancakes in photos so thanks.

That was my breakfast this morning 😁😁, I bought a huge ten pound bag at sams should last a long time.

• Like 1

There is talk that texas did not buy the carbonized blades for the wind turbines is why they failed. They work in canada, but texas didnt foresee winter. Today they can see oil coming out of them so repairs will need to be made. They didnt plan well. Texas has it's own power grid, not part of national grid.

5 hours ago, island lady said:

You "Feel the need...the need for speed".  😉  

My Dad owned a motorcycle, snowmobile shop in Michigan when I was 12.  He gave me my first 125 Yamaha dirt bike at 13.  He also competed in many Enduro trail races state wide.  Before that, he built and raced Hydroplanes.  He pulled water skiers at the water thrill show in Grand Haven MI at the town water front and designed the first boat jump ramp.  One boat raced under it, while the other took the ramp and flew over it.  Pretty wild.  

I competed (but as kept to the lame "Powder Puff" series) in both Enduros and snowmobile drag races.  Won most of them, but didn't keep the trophies.  I really wanted to compete with the guys, (and actually raced in the Enduros next to them) but they wouldn't let me in the guys class, so the trophies didn't mean much to me.  Tough little Tomboy I was.  😉 

That sounds like a lot of fun.  I, too, was a tomboy.  I grew up around race cars and dad and brother restoring classic cars.  I hung out and helped and learned a lot over the years.  

I also was a fast ball pitcher for school and township softball teams for 8 to 10 yrs.  My Dad used to have me split firewood to build up my arm as a teenager.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Mmmmm.  I live for pancake day.  Pancakes for breakfast, savoury for supper and then fruit for dessert.  I still love to look at pancakes in photos so thanks.

During the blueberry harvest mid August in "downeast" Maine....it's that smell of ripening berries everywhere.  Those tiny morsels are soooo good!  Blueberry pancakes...and of course those wonderful fresh blueberry pies!   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yeah, taking off from the dock is illegal here.  But yes, we would always swing to the shore by our dock, I usually made that final big curve when the water was about 2 or 3 feet deep.  My 75 year old buddy, we tried to get up all last summer, if he can’t do it this year, I will pull him off the dock.  He just doesn’t have the arm strength.  I slalomed skied the first time in well over 20 years this summer.  While I am not as strong as I was, I can still ski very well.  

I learned when I was 5 on adult sized double skis.  My dad would have my brother and sister and maybe a girlfriend or buddy in the boat.  1 would hold my skis straight and I would go, if I fell, another would jump out of the boat and hold the skis straight.  I don’t remember needing more than 2.  Learned slalom when I was 7 or maybe 8.  Completed the slalom course the first time at 11.  

So cool!  Yeah, those "jumping off the dock" skiing days have long since gone.  Many, many  years ago...but makes me smile still though.  

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That sounds like a lot of fun.  I, too, was a tomboy.  I grew up around race cars and dad and brother restoring classic cars.  I hung out and helped and learned a lot over the years.  

I also was a fast ball pitcher for school and township softball teams for 8 to 10 yrs.  My Dad used to have me split firewood to build up my arm as a teenager.  

Ahh the Tom Boy days of our youth!  I think neither of us were anywhere close to  the "girly girls" thing as we were growing up.  And I wouldn't change it for the world, had too much fun.  😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ahh the Tom Boy days of our youth!  I think neither of us were anywhere close to  the "girly girls" thing as we were growing up.  And I wouldn't change it for the world, had too much fun.  😉 

I was a tom boy too. At least after age 5 when I found out I couldn't be a boy. I got punished in ohio for rubbing snow in a boys face, had tree forts, caught polly wogs and little crabs. Climbed trees you name it. Maybe cruising is tom boys who never grew up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was a tom boy too. At least after age 5 when I found out I couldn't be a boy. I got punished in ohio for rubbing snow in a boys face, had tree forts, caught polly wogs and little crabs. Climbed trees you name it. Maybe cruising is tom boys who never grew up.

LOL...boy does that sound familiar!  😉  Naturally I didn't have a lot of dates when growing up.  Apparently, for some reason...I scared the boys off.  Can't figure out why? 😜  My Dad was actually quite happy about that fact though.  😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

There is talk that texas did not buy the carbonized blades for the wind turbines is why they failed. They work in canada, but texas didnt foresee winter. Today they can see oil coming out of them so repairs will need to be made. They didnt plan well. Texas has it's own power grid, not part of national grid.

That really can’t be true because we are doing rolling blackouts to help Texas with additional power.  While Texas may have a self-supporting grid, they assuredly are attached to the grid with the rest of us.  

6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

That really can’t be true because we are doing rolling blackouts to help Texas with additional power.  While Texas may have a self-supporting grid, they assuredly are attached to the grid with the rest of us.  

Ok, I might not understand what they mean by texas has it's own grid. I'm sure they are attached to buy and sell electricity.  

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ok, I might not understand what they mean by texas has it's own grid. I'm sure they are attached to buy and sell electricity.  

Yes.  I sell to utility companies and my DW works for our local power company.  They have been getting beaten up by the users because of the rolling blackouts.  They do not have a choice, they are mandated to do it to provide more power to the grid.  We haven’t had to do a lot of it.  I know some people who have had their 30 - 60 minutes.  On Monday we never got to much above 0F and a low of -13F both of which were records.  I imagine every power plant that could produce was producing.  A lot of that was heading towards Texas.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Texas does have its own grid , the only other grids are east coast and west coast, from what I understand and Texas can’t borrow or sell from west coast. 

• Like 2

Barbecuing sausages tonight. Not because we have no power, we do. It’s because it’s almost above freezing and worth being outside for around half an hour. Nicest day in weeks. 

36E00FB2-8B6C-4AA7-A9C2-BDCC57F016FD.thumb.jpeg.4d38f7254965997b84a5fad314880aa9.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Barbecuing sausages tonight. Not because we have no power, we do. It’s because it’s almost above freezing and worth being outside for around half an hour. Nicest day in weeks. 

36E00FB2-8B6C-4AA7-A9C2-BDCC57F016FD.thumb.jpeg.4d38f7254965997b84a5fad314880aa9.jpeg

That deserves a medal, getting out in the cold to bbq. I dont like being cold lol. Maybe 6 medals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, George C said:

Texas does have its own grid , the only other grids are east coast and west coast, from what I understand and Texas can’t borrow or sell from west coast. 

I'm sure we all will hear more than we ever wanted to know about electricity.

Just heard there is a panel of 15 overseeing the reliability of texas grid? Anyway, 5 dont even live in texas, one lives in Michigan. News of the lack of winterizing will go on. ..for weeks and maybe months. I'm non tech, oh no. Covers ears. 

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes.  I sell to utility companies and my DW works for our local power company.  They have been getting beaten up by the users because of the rolling blackouts.  They do not have a choice, they are mandated to do it to provide more power to the grid.  We haven’t had to do a lot of it.  I know some people who have had their 30 - 60 minutes.  On Monday we never got to much above 0F and a low of -13F both of which were records.  I imagine every power plant that could produce was producing.  A lot of that was heading towards Texas.

I thought your wife is a nurse?🤔

43 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We have another 4-6 inches coming between Thursday evening and Saturday morning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

All of that new stuff is hard to get. Almost everything that we picked out for our bathroom remodel was on back order. 5 months for the no frills toilet that I wanted. We had to go with our second and third choice on quite a few things.

I don’t think our new home will be completed unto October-December timeframe  We have already place our order for appliances and so on. 

M8

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

That deserves a medal, getting out in the cold to bbq. I dont like being cold lol. Maybe 6 medals.

In all honesty you and your fellow Texans  deserve the medals.

What makes me kind of smile when texting with my friends down your way; it’s not hurricanes or Covid that “scares” you all... it’s the snow. I really hope it warms up and melts all the snow etc that you are dealing with and things get back to normal. Hopefully pipes thaw slowly and everything goes as best as it can. Fingers crossed for better weather and that your family “affairs” smooth out too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, island lady said:

My A/C heat control on the wall is battery operated.  Found that out when I could not get the A/C to work one day...finally realized "duh" battery was dead.  Problem solved.  

I have had the same "duh" moment too.     Couple years ago I got one that flashes "time to change battery" before it dies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, island lady said:

When I was 15 years old, and taking driver's training at our high school, we were able to take turns using the only car they had that had a stick shift.  A cute little mustang.  Teacher made us take it out to the back fields away from the parking lot where the rest of the class was.

I got caught doing donuts out there.  😉  

My driving training teacher (state trooper) caught me trying to put the car on 2 wheels as the course had the perfect slope for it.   I did a couple times with friends in my car but couldn't do it with just me in it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1