Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We are at the Hampton Inn Seaport District

Just saw this. Water taxi to waterfront or Silver Line to South Station. Short ride by uber/lyft/cab to hotel. Easy walk from hotel to cruise terminal. 

Edit: Just saw your luggage load.... nothing might be an easy walk.😄 Cab/uber/lyft might be easiest way to get from Logan to hotel but will cost more that Silver Line or Water taxi. 

You can walk from hotel into the city but it takes some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I think we just need transportation to the hotel and then to the airport the last morning.  I think the hotel has a shuttle to the port.  I am going to call them next week to verify.

Looking at google maps, that hotel is right at the end of the channel the ships come in.  You are really close to the terminal but not sure I would walk it with luggage, especially with three large bags.  Hopefully, there is a shuttle from the hotel because I am not sure an uber would want the short ride, it isn't even a mile from the way it looks on the map.

There are cabs outside the cruise terminal after your cruise, especially if there is another ship there on a port of call day.  

This is a good link for the port and airport for that matter.

https://www.massport.com/flynn-cruiseport

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport

Edited by reallyitsmema
edit to add link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just saw this. Water taxi to waterfront or Silver Line to South Station. Short ride by uber/lyft/cab to hotel. Easy walk from hotel to cruise terminal. 

Edit: Just saw your luggage load.... nothing might be an easy walk.😄 Cab/uber/lyft might be easiest way to get from Logan to hotel but will cost more that Silver Line or Water taxi. 

You can walk from hotel into the city but it takes some time.

Is there anything around the port area to do? A cruise around the harbor or a ferry to town?

18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Looking at google maps, that hotel is right at the end of the channel the ships come in.  You are really close to the terminal but not sure I would walk it with luggage, especially with three large bags.  Hopefully, there is a shuttle from the hotel because I am not sure an uber would want the short ride, it isn't even a mile from the way it looks on the map.

There are cabs outside the cruise terminal after your cruise, especially if there is another ship there on a port of call day.  

This is a good link for the port and airport for that matter.

https://www.massport.com/flynn-cruiseport

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport

We manage our luggage pretty well. They wheel really well.  Less then a mile and not in the heat is probably doable.  I will check with my husband and decide. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We manage our luggage pretty well. They wheel really well.  Less then a mile and not in the heat is probably doable.  I will check with my husband and decide. 

I looked at the hotel website and they say it is a five minute walk to the terminal.  If you google it and then do street view, you can see that there are good sidewalks directly to the port.  I am not sure what ship you are sailing but Royal Caribbean is usually at the end of the terminal that would be closest to your hotel.  There can be three ships there at a time, so check the link for the cruise schedule for the day you are there.  NCL sails from there too.  Other Royal ships go there on ports of call.  When we sailed last October, there were three ships there that day, Serenade, Anthem and another smaller ship, Seven Seas Mariner maybe.  

It isn't too bad a a terminal to sail from, but not much in that immediate area but a short walk from your hotel, there is a Dunkin's, Legal Seafood and a bunch of other restaurants.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

We have never used Uber or Lyft.  We cruise out of Boston in September and will need a ride to the hotel and maybe to the port.  How do those work?  Why not just take a cab?

Uber is pretty easy.  Download the app, create an account, add a payment method, and you are ready to go.  This video shows how it works.

It used to be that Uber had a few advantages over taxis...It was often cheaper, you never had to deal with payment for the driver (done in the app), you could see exactly where your car was and when it would arrive, you can track your journey while in progress, etc.  When we were in NYC in January, the taxis there used an app that was similar to the Uber app and had many of the same advantages.  I wouldn't be surprised if Boston also had an app for their taxis. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I looked at the hotel website and they say it is a five minute walk to the terminal.  If you google it and then do street view, you can see that there are good sidewalks directly to the port.  I am not sure what ship you are sailing but Royal Caribbean is usually at the end of the terminal that would be closest to your hotel.  There can be three ships there at a time, so check the link for the cruise schedule for the day you are there.  NCL sails from there too.  Other Royal ships go there on ports of call.  When we sailed last October, there were three ships there that day, Serenade, Anthem and another smaller ship, Seven Seas Mariner maybe.  

It isn't too bad a a terminal to sail from, but not much in that immediate area but a short walk from your hotel, there is a Dunkin's, Legal Seafood and a bunch of other restaurants.  

I still need to research the harbor walk in relation to our hotel.  Thank for the links.  It will really help

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

On another note my procedure is a week from Thursday and I should be all good by the next Monday.  I have a little trip with a friend in early August so Amelia Island will be later in August.  Then the big trip in September.  I still need to get busy with the cruise planner for February.  

Good luck! I will be thinking of you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Good luck! I will be thinking of you.

Thank you.  The prep sounds the worst and not that bad.  He said it should pulverize the stone into such small pieces I won't even know when it passes.  I hope.  Lol.  I am still not clear on how it just breaks up the stone and not the kidney.

Edited by Keksie
  • Like 6

GOOD NEWS!

IMG_4739.jpeg.d112c475d5c0cea75e16317bdd775009.jpeg

I got contacted to be an extra in the new Hallmark Christmas movie shooting here in KC called “Holiday Touchdown, a Chiefs Love Story.” 

IMG_4741.thumb.jpeg.85fed9a6c5cfe675aa7dfe82a1261af9.jpeg

They have been shooting around Independence, MO square. 

Appropriately I will be in a “cocktail party” scene dressed up in a sport coat no tie. My shoot time is tomorrow from 2pm till 2am and I get paid a whopping $140 per day. There is a possibility I could be in more scenes as they asked if I could be available for next week as well. We will see. 

Needless to say I am excited as I know over a thousand people applied. Even if I make the edited cut all you might see is the back of my head but I don’t care. As a life long Christmas freak and Hallmark Christmas movie fan I will be in heaven. I had to sign a NDA so I don’t know how much additional info I can post and I doubt they will let me take any pictures. Hopefully more details later.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Thank you.  The prep sounds the worst and not that bad.  He said it should pulverize the stone into such small pieces I won't even know when it passes.  I hope.  Lol.  I am still not clear on how it just breaks up the stone and not the kidney.

Thats what it was like for me. They give you some sedative but you are awake. It’s kind of a weird sensation and I am not really sure exactly when I passed the stone but it was the next day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

GOOD NEWS!

I got contacted to be an extra in the new Hallmark Christmas movie shooting here in KC called “Holiday Touchdown, a Chiefs Love Story.” 

Appropriately I will be in a “cocktail party” scene dressed up in a sport coat no tie. My shoot time is tomorrow from 2pm till 2am and I get paid a whopping $140 per day. There is a possibility I could be in more scenes as they asked if I could be available for next week as well. We will see. 

Needless to say I am excited as I know over a thousand people applied. Even if I make the edited cut all you might see is the back of my head but I don’t care. As a life long Christmas freak and Hallmark Christmas movie fan I will be in heaven. I had to sign a NDA so I don’t know how much additional info I can post and I doubt they will let me take any pictures. Hopefully more details later.

You were the perfect choice!  Congratulations!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Is there anything around the port area to do? A cruise around the harbor or a ferry to town?

I'm not aware of any water taxi between there and the Boston waterfront. There isn't much of interest, for me anyway, around the hotel or cruise terminal area. I walked out there once from downtown. Never did it again.

There are harbor cruises from the Boston waterfront. There is also a high speed ferry that runs out to Provence Town on the end of Cape Cod, an interesting and entertaining place to visit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

We have never used Uber or Lyft.  We cruise out of Boston in September and will need a ride to the hotel and maybe to the port.  How do those work?  Why not just take a cab?  

On another note my procedure is a week from Thursday and I should be all good by the next Monday.  I have a little trip with a friend in early August so Amelia Island will be later in August.  Then the big trip in September.  I still need to get busy with the cruise planner for February.  

Hope all goes well with your procedure.

I was hesitant when we first tried Uber/Lyft.  However, once we tried it, we love it.  Usually, much less expensive than a cab (although, it's been a while since we've used one).  You definitely need to add the app to your phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Keksie said:

As someone who has had many kidney stones over the years, (I call my kidneys "rock gardens" for the amount of stones they produce).  I can tell you the procedure is pretty easy.  You won't feel a thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Uber is pretty easy.  Download the app, create an account, add a payment method, and you are ready to go.  This video shows how it works.

It used to be that Uber had a few advantages over taxis...It was often cheaper, you never had to deal with payment for the driver (done in the app), you could see exactly where your car was and when it would arrive, you can track your journey while in progress, etc.  When we were in NYC in January, the taxis there used an app that was similar to the Uber app and had many of the same advantages.  I wouldn't be surprised if Boston also had an app for their taxis. 

Uber and Lyft were surprisingly more than taxis in Memorial Day weekend in nyc , but I love that you can request a car with extra legroom and you know what the price is before you get in.

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

GOOD NEWS!

great news, congratulations, the 140 a day will pay for some good bourbon, but now we all will need to watch this hallmark movie 😁

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not aware of any water taxi between there and the Boston waterfront. There isn't much of interest, for me anyway, around the hotel or cruise terminal area. I walked out there once from downtown. Never did it again.

There are harbor cruises from the Boston waterfront. There is also a high speed ferry that runs out to Provence Town on the end of Cape Cod, an interesting and entertaining place to visit.

I agree, that area is a lot of warehouse type buildings and construction.  I would be really careful walking and crossing in some areas because of access to the tunnel and silver line.  Over on Seaport Blvd there are a lot of restaurants plus Harpoon Brewery and a park plus the Trade Center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been using Uber for a couple years now, and it is pretty easy.  

There are some things to watch out for, if you are trying to schedule a ride in advance.  I planned on doing that for one of our dinner reservations when we were in Myrtle Beach, and there were no XL’s that came up as available.  Prices looked to be twice as much as we had been paying for rides.   So we ended up waiting till the time we would have reserved, and there were XL’s available at half the price of those pre booked smaller options. 

Then, I was just looking at pre booking a ride next month, to get an idea of costs.  Evidently, my fat fingers inadvertently booked one as I swiped up to close the app.  Had to figure out how to cancel it, because I definitely did not want it.

For me, I will stick to booking when I need it, or will be more careful so that doesn’t happen again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your information, it is so helpful.  I think we will cab it from and to the airport.  I will have the uber app set up on my phone.  The day in Boston we will uber to a place in Boston to explore for the day (need to verify where with the hubs).  We can uber back when we are done to the hotel and then go check out the restaurants and brewery.  I think we will be able to walk to the ship the next morning.  Big fun.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

GOOD NEWS!

I am so excited for you.  I knew you would be picked.  Have fun and take full advantage of craft services.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

GOOD NEWS!

Congratulations!  That is so cool.  I knew you would be a perfect fit for the movie.  Hmm..Maybe a viewing party will be in order???   😄

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ValerieJo said:

Congratulations!  That is so cool.  I knew you would be a perfect fit for the movie.  Hmm..Maybe a viewing party will be in order???   😄

At @Sea Dog's Tiki Bar back yard.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, ValerieJo said:

I wonder if they will have a premiere in the city before it actually airs on the Hallmark channel? My guess is not .

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

At @Sea Dog's Tiki Bar back yard.

By the time it will air I will have the tiki patio packed up for the winter. I store everything to keep the elements off it during winter.

• Like 2