Use Stimulus Funds to Buy RCL Stock...?

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

A lot of people don't know the half of it. We aren't worried and they will come thru just fine.

I'm very grateful that AA and their code share partner BA flew us home from Barcelona ladt month. They are a little more important than a foreign flagged cruise line. 

Please thank your husband and his crew

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

Well your husbands salary is being subsidized by the taxpayer, either he is on leave getting paid subsidized by the taxpayer, or he is flying  near empty aircraft in the sky subsidized by the taxpayer.  Now that is about $18,000 per month your husband is being paid for a service that is not needed right now, just like cruises.  Empty aircraft waste fuel (money) as well,  plus bad for the environment,  We dont need all airlines in the sky right now, just a waste of taxpayer money.

I'm sorry, we need airlines and we need pilots.

You can't shut it down, and then expect it to start up again. 

And BTW, hundreds of planes are now parked in the Mojave, the sky isn't full of them flying empty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

The only people that understand cost of living is those who live in a high cost area. My wife worked a part time job in a dental office until the kids were in high school. Then she took a job full time in Manhattan. Her monthly transportation is $400 a month. By following the Dr that she worked for from hospital to hospital as he moved up really advance her career. This was an opportunity that you can't find working in a private office on Long Island. My 1954  small cape on 75X100 is appraised for $485,000. After this economic fiasco who knows what the housing market will do. I have a few relatives of all ages living in Florida so they know what it costs to live here and there. What I pay a year to heat my home with oil is more than what they pay in property taxes and they live in nice areas of Florida in Gated communities. My stimulus check would go a lot further there.

I don't buy it, sorry. I've definitely lived in high cost of living areas (MD/DC/VA) and we maintained adequate savings and planned for retirement. Housing was stupid expensive, wife took the train to work.  We just didn't do private schools, eat out all the time, drive super nice cars, etc...

Actually lived up there twice as careers progressed. Always planned on heading south, though. AL, GA, FL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I don't buy it, sorry. I've definitely lived in high cost of living areas (MD/DC/VA) and we maintained adequate savings and planned for retirement. Housing was stupid expensive, wife took the train to work.  We just didn't do private schools, eat out all the time, drive super nice cars, etc...

Actually lived up there twice as careers progressed. Always planned on heading south, though. AL, GA, FL

We live in the wealthiest county (varies between #1 and #2) in the country (Loudoun county, VA) and there are plenty of people here who don't have lots of savings and a lot who do.   Planning for retirement, most do, but you do know a lot of people don't.  We never did private schools, drive expensive cars, etc. and we could if we wanted to now, but when our kids were young, no way.  We did choose to live in a great school district which does cost more.  Just because you maintained "adequate savings" doesn't mean everyone can.  We have famiiles living in our county that are barely scraping by but they moved here for the schools and very, very, very low crime rate.  Since I went back to work in 1997, we've been comfortable, but I would never, ever trade those 14 years as a SAHM for anything even if it meant money was tight during that time which it was.  It's something I will never regret.  It's all about choices, but if your rent takes up over 1/2 of your income every month, it's very hard to get ahead and there are plenty of those families around.  What we got out of doing what we did with school districts and location is both our grown sons (mid 30's) make north of 125K per year.   Both have savings, but if they had had children in their 20's they wouldn't have what they do now.  One will never have children and the other plans to after they get married in a month, but they both have a cushion of savings.  There are a lot of reasons people don't have a huge amount of savings and age and family situation has a lot to do with it.  Are some people stupid with their money?  Yes, but a lot aren't because they just don't have it.

Edited by BND

13 hours ago, lbjen said:

I have the newest iPhone, it was free. I traded in my iPhone 6 (which was also free) to get it. 

You are not getting it or the previous one free. You pay extra every month to have it. If you brought your own phone with your same plan, it would be much less

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not everyone lives in the tax free state of Florida. My School Taxes alone are $8000 a year. The average 2 bedroom apartment is $3000 a month on Long Island.  

No state income tax. The rest including real estate is same as NY

23 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You are not getting it or the previous one free. You pay extra every month to have it. If you brought your own phone with your same plan, it would be much less

It’s like people can’t read. If you got yourself a phone plan that charges you extra for the free phone, I don’t know what to tell you. Some of us are better at finding good deals. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BND said:

We live in the wealthiest county (varies between #1 and #2) in the country (Loudoun county, VA) and there are plenty of people here who don't have lots of savings and a lot who do.   

When we lived there, I always thought people that chose Loudon wished they could afford Fairfax. 😉

The commute was a killer

6 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Depends where you live. A $250K house in FL can be $4K or more in tax

Sure, but you hear folks say they pay 12 grand in real estate taxes. So I'm betting they have a higher millage. My $400K condo is around $4K in taxes

12 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

So no state income tax in FL & only $4k property tax is pretty good.

But in NY, add up State & local income taxes (I'm guessing 10%?) + property tax on a much more expensive house/condo

24 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

So no state income tax in FL & only $4k property tax is pretty good.

But in NY, add up State & local income taxes (I'm guessing 10%?) + property tax on a much more expensive house/condo

Retirees don't come here just for the weather 😉

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm sorry, we need airlines and we need pilots.

You can't shut it down, and then expect it to start up again. 

And BTW, hundreds of planes are now parked in the Mojave, the sky isn't full of them flying empty

free enterprise will start up any company that is needed after bk, sorry you are just wrong if you think aircraft are not flying around pretty much empty.  There was even a meeting about how to consolidate airline flights between the carriers because of the empty aircraft.  Billions being wasted on the legacies.  usa bailout money in the billions are being used to buyout AA pilots (between 600-1200) and billions more are being used for over 2800 AA pilots to take paid leave all at the tax payer expense.

Edited by Newleno

23 minutes ago, Newleno said:

free enterprise will start up any company that is needed after bk, sorry you are just wrong if you think aircraft are not flying around pretty much empty.  There was even a meeting about how to consolidate airline flights between the carriers because of the empty aircraft.  Billions being wasted on the legacies.  usa bailout money in the billions are being used to buyout AA pilots (between 600-1200) and billions more are being used for over 2800 AA pilots to take paid leave all at the tax payer expense.

Never said there weren't some, I just said it wasn't full.

As to all the rest 

FB_IMG_1520205285135.thumb.jpg.df66d43d3e4848498de2fa99835995ff.jpg

Stay safe

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

"I'm very grateful that AA and their code share partner BA flew us home from Barcelona ladt month"

Never said there weren't some, I just said it wasn't full.

As to all the rest Stay safe

Would you care to say exactly what cities (airport codes) were used for your flying,  It is important because actually the abuse of the airline lobbyist/special interest for legacies could be a lot worse.  Example it has already been determined that a 20 year AA pilot will make approximately a minimum guarantee $18,000 per month, if that pilot is being paid not to work that is over $200,000 per year.  Now two little airlines that work for legacy (trans states and compass) have been shut down, their employees only get unemployment, no paid leave/no healthcare.  Now those little aircraft have captain/first officer/flight attendant combined salaries  under $160,000 TOTAL.  Yet they did not get saved, they got no subsidy, all they got was fired even though they are part of the legacy system.  Under the bailout strategy They to should get full pay/benefits for the 6 months, but they wont only the rich/entitled will.  Who needs the money more? people scraping to get by? or the AA pilot 

Edited by Newleno

Barcelona to Heathrow was the British Air flight, Heathrow to Miami was the American flight. 

I seem to recall that the flight crew was based out of Miami.

Fairly full flights, but that's understandable.

BA flew the A320 and AA flew the 777

Edited by John&LaLa

9 hours ago, Newleno said:

Well your husbands salary is being subsidized by the taxpayer, either he is on leave getting paid subsidized by the taxpayer, or he is flying  near empty aircraft in the sky subsidized by the taxpayer.  Now that is about $18,000 per month your husband is being paid for a service that is not needed right now, just like cruises.  Empty aircraft waste fuel (money) as well,  plus bad for the environment,  We dont need all airlines in the sky right now, just a waste of taxpayer money.

The airlines have severely cut there flights down. It doesn't matter if there are 2 or 10 airlines flying. If there are only so many flights flying then why does it make a difference as to which airline flies that flight? It doesn't. Like John said there are a ton of aircraft sitting in the "graveyards" right now so it's not like they are keeping their entire fleet ready. Air travel is crucial and it is what it is. BTW, do you really think the airlines/hubby's job are the only things being subsidized by our taxes?

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm very grateful that AA and their code share partner BA flew us home from Barcelona ladt month. They are a little more important than a foreign flagged cruise line. 

Please thank your husband and his crew

I shall and thank you. I hope your flights were enjoyable. If not, then it was the other persons fault.  :classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin: 🍾

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

When we lived there, I always thought people that chose Loudon wished they could afford Fairfax. 😉

The commute was a killer

LOL.  We commute to Chantilly.  At least DH does and I used to.  I retired a couple of weeks ago. Never wanted to live in Fairfax.  One of our sons does (Burke).  We love Loudoun and have been here since 1995.  And, we're in Ashburn which is a bit more expensive than most of the rest of Loudoun.  I never thought I'd own a million dollar home, but we're very close.  Heck, you can't even buy a condo for less than 300-400K here.   Most single family homes are over 600K and that's for a basic 2000 sq foot on 1/4 acre. We have 5500 sq ft on 2/3 acre but we certainly aren't in a starter home.  I want smaller now lol. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

LOL.  We commute to Chantilly.  At least DH does and I used to.  I retired a couple of weeks ago. Never wanted to live in Fairfax.  One of our sons does (Burke).  We love Loudoun and have been here since 1995.  And, we're in Ashburn which is a bit more expensive than most of the rest of Loudoun.  I never thought I'd own a million dollar home, but we're very close.  Heck, you can't even buy a condo for less than 300-400K here.   Most single family homes are over 600K and that's for a basic 2000 sq foot on 1/4 acre. We have 5500 sq ft on 2/3 acre but we certainly aren't in a starter home.  I want smaller now lol. 

I worked in Chantilly. Lived in Vienna. Dropped kids off at school, wife at the metro, went to work (against the flow of traffic) then picked up wife on the way home. Only needed one car.😉

Bought our house in 2003 for 500K

$200K more than the house we left in ATL😱

Sold it in 2005 for $700K

Moved back to ATL with a massive down payment. 

Edited by John&LaLa

8 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

We live in Arizona, our house is a little over $300,000 and our property taxes were $1,800 last year. Our home owner’s insurance is about $450, I hear it’s a lot higher in Florida. We do have state tax though.

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We live in Arizona, our house is a little over $300,000 and our property taxes were $1,800 last year. Our home owner’s insurance is about $450, I hear it’s a lot higher in Florida. We do have state tax though.

And unless you believe George Strait, not much beachfront property.

• Like 1