Use Stimulus Funds to Buy RCL Stock...?

On 4/3/2020 at 12:52 AM, ReneeFLL said:

I can't say if I would think you or your friend should get any of the stimulus money, because I don't know your particulars. I'm talking about people who frivolously spend their money like there's no tomorrow and don't plan for such things. I don't think people who don't live within their means should get any of it. Why should my money go to people who just blow their money? That means that I'm paying for their fun. 😡 

It amazes me that people don't have several months (should be more) worth of money saved for something like this. They don't live within their means and there's a big difference between needing and wanting. Buying designer versus generic, etc. Well, that's my opinion and I know others will disagree and that's ok. It is what it is and the government has set the rules. I just hope that this virus gets under control and a vaccine is found asap. We can then get back to the tipping, chair hogs, and dress code threads. 😂 🥂 Hoping everyone stays safe and virus free.

Wow I find your comments shocking, You state your hubby is 20 years American Airlines.  Basically your posts describes American Airlines.  They wasted over 12 billion dollars on stock buy backs since 2014. Because of that policy they have no rainy day fund.   Now the only way they can try to avoid bankruptcy is to take a government hand out.   Your husband is being paid now by government subsidy.  Pot meet Kettle.   

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

How about the newest iPhone?

I have the newest iPhone, it was free. I traded in my iPhone 6 (which was also free) to get it. 

Edited by lbjen

On 4/2/2020 at 9:04 PM, NavyCruiser said:

If both stocks keeps going lower, we might just add the entire $14K to both of our IRAs to buy both companies.

Figure that's the smart move to offset our stupid decision to book a cruise for May...

Yikes, that just gave me the shivers.  Don't do that. Remember the "R" part of IRA.  

If you want to gamble some fun bucks in a brokerage account on a cruise line stock because you're betting the industry comes back, okay.  But money in a retirement fund? Hard no.  

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yikes, that just gave me the shivers.  Don't do that. Remember the "R" part of IRA.  

If you want to gamble some fun bucks in a brokerage account on a cruise line stock because you're betting the industry comes back, okay.  But money in a retirement fund? Hard no.  

Thanks for your advice, but my real retirement account is already in a diversified equity portfolio.  I have 20+ years til I need it.  This $14K addition this year is less than 2%, so it's worth the gamble.  Figure they're both 80% off & may rebound in the next 20 yrs?

16 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thanks for your advice, but my real retirement account is already in a diversified equity portfolio.  I have 20+ years til I need it.  This $14K addition this year is less than 2%, so it's worth the gamble.  Figure they're both 80% off & may rebound in the next 20 yrs?

Not something I'd do within a retirement account.  Like I said, in a separate brokerage account with money you can gamble with okay. Doesn't sound like you were asking for practical advice so much as sharing your idea. Good luck 

On 4/2/2020 at 11:38 PM, ReneeFLL said:

If someone is making even close to that amount they shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. They don't know how to spend their money wisely.

Not everyone lives in the tax free state of Florida. My School Taxes alone are $8000 a year. The average 2 bedroom apartment is $3000 a month on Long Island.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not everyone lives in the tax free state of Florida. My School Taxes alone are $8000 a year. The average 2 bedroom apartment is $3000 a month on Long Island.  

I concur.  My college roommate has ended up on Long Island and I am in South Florida.  I pay about $4500 a year property taxes, he pays around 12K.  For what his very modest, older split level home costs in Long Island, he could be living in a luxury gated golf community in Florida with a 5000 square foot house on a lake. The living costs for anything within an hour of Manhattan (NJ, CT, Long Island) make me wince.  Then again, I am accustomed to a South Florida salary.  

Anyways. long story short.  I agree with you. People in high expense areas may earn well AND be responsible with money; but any hiccup in income can be an issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I concur.  My college roommate has ended up on Long Island and I am in South Florida.  I pay about $4500 a year property taxes, he pays around 12K.  For what his very modest, older split level home costs in Long Island, he could be living in a luxury gated golf community in Florida with a 5000 square foot house on a lake. The living costs for anything within an hour of Manhattan (NJ, CT, Long Island) make me wince.  Then again, I am accustomed to a South Florida salary.  

Anyways. long story short.  I agree with you. People in high expense areas may earn well AND be responsible with money; but any hiccup in income can be an issue. 

Everytime we visit the in laws I think if only we could bring our salary to Florida.  

3 hours ago, Newleno said:

Wow I find your comments shocking, You state your hubby is 20 years American Airlines.  Basically your posts describes American Airlines.  They wasted over 12 billion dollars on stock buy backs since 2014. Because of that policy they have no rainy day fund.   Now the only way they can try to avoid bankruptcy is to take a government hand out.   Your husband is being paid now by government subsidy.  Pot meet Kettle.   

I would point out that at least the airlines each had more cash on hand then they had in their equivalent to customer deposits liability area. The airlines are also agreeing to maintain certain routes and not lay off their employees for at least 6 months, as part of the government agreement.  The airlines, even though, they did do stock buybacks was actually not in bad shape except for a near complete shutdown that will last several months. During anything like normal times, even another 9/11 or 2009 financial crisis the airlines would have been positioned to weather it just fine. 

The major cruises lines had less than 25% in cash compared to their customer deposits liability.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Newleno said:

And yet you use those airlines to go places. 🙄  We have no control on how AA or the other airlines run their business so pot isn't meeting kettle. Can you say the company you work for is perfect? Probably not. I am hoping there are restrictions put in place so they can't do the buy backs like last time.

3 hours ago, lbjen said:

I have the newest iPhone, it was free. I traded in my iPhone 6 (which was also free) to get it. 

Iphones aren't free. You're paying for it one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

All it takes is just one uneducated high horse comment.

I'm definitely not uneducated and you don't know me from Adam. It wasn't a high horse comment, but a smart one. If people don't have enough brains to figure that out then that's on them and they can continue to live that way. When they start freaking out because they can't pay the next months bills because they have overindulged then I'll just sit back and relax and not worry about it.

Edited by ReneeFLL

And yet you use those airlines to go places. [emoji849]  We have no control on how AA or the other airlines run their business so pot isn't meeting kettle. Can you say the company you work for is perfect? Probably not. I am hoping there are restrictions put in place so they can't do the buy backs like last time.
Not looking good for AA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Not looking good for AA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A lot of people don't know the half of it. We aren't worried and they will come thru just fine.

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I'm definitely not uneducated and you don't know me from Adam. It wasn't a high horse comment, but a smart one. If people don't have enough brains to figure that out then that's on them and they can continue to live that way. When they start freaking out because they can't pay the next months bills because they have overindulged then I'll just sit back and relax and not worry about it.

Resident stable genius.  Knows how smart it was to buy back stock and then depend on the government to bail them out.  Presidential material.

5 hours ago, lbjen said:

I know the difference between a monthly payment on a phone and a free phone. Jeez. 

I bough iPhone 8 plus 3 years ago and it works just fine. Why sell it or exchange it? There was no breakthrough in the industry since the first iphone introduced by Jobs. Selling your phone to buy stocks sounds even more rediculous. I would suggest keeping up your money and not risk wasting them on those stock markets. Trust me people, there are way smarter people in this business who are craving to rip you off

7 hours ago, npcl said:

I would point out that at least the airlines each had more cash on hand then they had in their equivalent to customer deposits liability area. The airlines are also agreeing to maintain certain routes and not lay off their employees for at least 6 months, as part of the government agreement.  The airlines, even though, they did do stock buybacks was actually not in bad shape except for a near complete shutdown that will last several months. During anything like normal times, even another 9/11 or 2009 financial crisis the airlines would have been positioned to weather it just fine. 

The major cruises lines had less than 25% in cash compared to their customer deposits liability.

Well we both agree that is a government bailout, as far as not laying off for 6 months, not sure it applies to all airlines in the legacy system of flying.  In addition with empty aircraft we dont need all 3 legacies flying the skies right now wasting more money.  Just a bunch of mostly empty aircraft, loads less than 15 percent.  It is a bailout at tax payer expense, in some instances the poor are subsidizing the rich.  Whats a 20 year captain at aa make?  (to get to sit at home and get paid, or do a job that is not needed right now) We the tax payer are subsidizing it, while some in the usa are having a hard time getting food.  

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

And yet you use those airlines to go places. 🙄  We have no control on how AA or the other airlines run their business so pot isn't meeting kettle. Can you say the company you work for is perfect? Probably not. I am hoping there are restrictions put in place so they can't do the buy backs like last time.

Well your husbands salary is being subsidized by the taxpayer, either he is on leave getting paid subsidized by the taxpayer, or he is flying  near empty aircraft in the sky subsidized by the taxpayer.  Now that is about $18,000 per month your husband is being paid for a service that is not needed right now, just like cruises.  Empty aircraft waste fuel (money) as well,  plus bad for the environment,  We dont need all airlines in the sky right now, just a waste of taxpayer money.

Edited by Newleno

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

And yet you assume I was referring to you.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Everytime we visit the in laws I think if only we could bring our salary to Florida.  

When I left NJ that was my same thought.  It balances out pretty quickly.  Could never move back north though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Our equity alone in our current way too big house would buy a house in FL.  My DH would love to move there after retirement.  I just retired a couple of weeks ago, but honestly, I don't love some things about the state and I don't want to be there in the summer.  I wouldn't miss paying state income taxes and our current property taxes are 9K so we'd save something there.  He's already a retired reserve US Navy Captain and we're drawing on that pension and one investment along with my retirement income (all going into savings right now).  Just those alone, we could live in FL in a paid for house, easily.  As a Federal contractor, he is still going into work everyday, although on a altered schedule and we're not spending anywhere near what we were before this, so savings are accumulating.  His income is really good, but it took years of work to get to that point.  But, I do have issue with people saying there's no reason for people to live paycheck to paycheck. We did for a while and it wasn't because we bought the biggest house. Some of it was the choice of me being a SAHM, because we felt that was more important than a little more money.  Some was the economy at the time.  We bought our first house in 1982 when interest rates were 15.5% and it was a 1200 sq foot 2 br townhouse, not exactly a large extravagant home.

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Our equity alone in our current way too big house would buy a house in FL.  My DH would love to move there after retirement.  I just retired a couple of weeks ago, but honestly, I don't love some things about the state and I don't want to be there in the summer.  I wouldn't miss paying state income taxes and our current property taxes are 9K so we'd save something there.  He's already a retired reserve US Navy Captain and we're drawing on that pension and one investment along with my retirement income (all going into savings right now).  Just those alone, we could live in FL in a paid for house, easily.  As a Federal contractor, he is still going into work everyday, although on a altered schedule and we're not spending anywhere near what we were before this, so savings are accumulating.  His income is really good, but it took years of work to get to that point.  But, I do have issue with people saying there's no reason for people to live paycheck to paycheck. We did for a while and it wasn't because we bought the biggest house. Some of it was the choice of me being a SAHM, because we felt that was more important than a little more money.  Some was the economy at the time.  We bought our first house in 1982 when interest rates were 15.5% and it was a 1200 sq foot 2 br townhouse, not exactly a large extravagant home.

The only people that understand cost of living is those who live in a high cost area. My wife worked a part time job in a dental office until the kids were in high school. Then she took a job full time in Manhattan. Her monthly transportation is $400 a month. By following the Dr that she worked for from hospital to hospital as he moved up really advance her career. This was an opportunity that you can't find working in a private office on Long Island. My 1954  small cape on 75X100 is appraised for $485,000. After this economic fiasco who knows what the housing market will do. I have a few relatives of all ages living in Florida so they know what it costs to live here and there. What I pay a year to heat my home with oil is more than what they pay in property taxes and they live in nice areas of Florida in Gated communities. My stimulus check would go a lot further there.