Use Stimulus Funds to Buy RCL Stock...?

Say what you will, but I believe that people deserve the money and the corporations are the ones you should be mad at.  If we got equal to what big business is getting, we would get a $45,000 check!  So perhaps we should stop shaming others, for not having Million Dollar Susie Orman bank accounts, in reserves.

• Like 1

Jezseslola is right. That's a lot of money and there will unfortunately be plenty of abuse. It's our dysfunctional government at work. They should have better stipulations on it than for anyone making under 75k or something like that. We don't qualify for it and even if we did we wouldn't take it. I'd be embarrassed to and I haven't worked in 10 years by choice.

OP, if you want to invest wisely then I don't think cruise line stock is the way to go, but the govt is giving it to you so do what you want to.

Surely you cannot be serious. Almost 10 million people applied for unemployment in the last two weeks. So what if they made good money last year, they are making NONE now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

@ReneeFLL respectfully disagree.  My best friend, my old college roommate, just lost his job today after 15 years with the company..  He has 4 children.  This stimulus is much needed.  I'm a small business owner and if it weren't for the government and banks assistance I don't know if I could survive.  God bless our government and banks.

I can't say if I would think you or your friend should get any of the stimulus money, because I don't know your particulars. I'm talking about people who frivolously spend their money like there's no tomorrow and don't plan for such things. I don't think people who don't live within their means should get any of it. Why should my money go to people who just blow their money? That means that I'm paying for their fun. 😡 

It amazes me that people don't have several months (should be more) worth of money saved for something like this. They don't live within their means and there's a big difference between needing and wanting. Buying designer versus generic, etc. Well, that's my opinion and I know others will disagree and that's ok. It is what it is and the government has set the rules. I just hope that this virus gets under control and a vaccine is found asap. We can then get back to the tipping, chair hogs, and dress code threads. 😂 🥂 Hoping everyone stays safe and virus free.

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It amazes me that people don't have several months (should be more) worth of money saved for something like this. They don't live within their means and there's a big difference between needing and wanting. Buying designer versus generic, etc. Well, that's my opinion and I know others will disagree and that's ok. It is what it is and the government has set the rules. I just hope that this virus gets under control and a vaccine is found asap. We can then get back to the tipping, chair hogs, and dress code threads. 😂 🥂 Hoping everyone stays safe and virus free.

That's a heck of an assumption for an entire group of people.

Maybe applicable to some, but for sure not to all.  Don't throw away the baby with the bath water.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Surely you cannot be serious. Almost 10 million people applied for unemployment in the last two weeks. So what if they made good money last year, they are making NONE now.

I don't think anyone doubts that people who have lost their jobs need help.  The question is whether someone who made $99,999 last year and still has their job today needs $1,200 right now.

But the reason the government said yes, that person does need $1,200, is because the government wants them to spend that money ASAP to support businesses that might otherwise have to furlough or layoff even more workers.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, danv3 said:

I don't think anyone doubts that people who have lost their jobs need help.  The question is whether someone who made $99,999 last year and still has their job today needs $1,200 right now.

But the reason the government said yes, that person does need $1,200, is because the government wants them to spend that money ASAP to support businesses that might otherwise have to furlough or layoff even more workers.  

Agreed, get the money into economy, not invest in stocks or buy cruises. Downside is very few places to spend it.

• Like 1

It is undoubtedly a blanket payment to population. Its very hard to split it up. Some may lose their jobs in a couple weeks. My wife and I are lucky enough to still have our jobs. Im a career firemen/paramedic,ironically Im most needed now. While many are losing their jobs. Theres many ways to put that money back into the economy. But I will not be buying stock to put it back in. There are many other direct ways to put it back in. I will help my local community small businesses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danv3 said:

The people that get the full $1200 make less than $75000 from that point it decreases my X number dollars per I think $100 of income exceeding $75,000.  The people making $99,000 are only getting a dollars.

As John said, get money into the economy.  For example we will be using our money along some of our savings to have exterior of the house repainted.

We have also been doing take-out from locally owned family run restaurants.

• Like 1

Well, some of us aren't getting anything.  DH and I are empty nesters and have savings to last a while.  I just retired and he is a Fed contractor who is still working and we make a lot more than the max amount.  We live in a high cost of living area where incomes are high, so there are people here who make 100K who can barely pay their bills because you can't even rent a decent 1 br apartment for less than $1500 unless you making a lot less than 100K and qualify for subsidies.  100K is liveable, but most at that level can't save enough to have months worth of income in the bank.   Even my oldest son who is not married (getting married in a month) makes way too much to get anything.  Youngest is married and his wife doesn't work full time so they'll get it, but just barely under the two person amount.  The fact is, it's hard to spend right now.  We've had a plumber in the last couple of weeks and spent about 2K for that.  My car needs to go in for inspections, which don't cost much.  Our house is fully furnished.  We want to redo our bathroom, but don't need multiple people in and out right now. We did have our landscaper work on mulching, weeding and trimming so he'll be getting something from us as soon as he bills us.  Otherwise, we're buying some things on Amazon, buying groceries and ordering out once a week from local restaurants.    Unless you need the money to pay your rent/mortgage, or buy food, the idea is to put it back into the economy.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

If someone is making even close to that amount they shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. They don't know how to spend their money wisely.

The problem, for lack of a better word, is the more people make, the more people spend. People with higher incomes buy bigger houses, nicer cars, etc. and often live paycheck to paycheck just like people with lower incomes. In the perfect world, no one should be living paycheck to paycheck and everyone should be saving/investing money no matter how much money they make. However, that is not reality for countless reasons for a lot of people in the US. 

Just now, John&LaLa said:

So, should there be a COLA attached 🤔

I agree that would make absolute sense, but we are dealing with the federal government, and making sense is not it their job descriptions.:classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:03 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

The problem, for lack of a better word, is the more people make, the more people spend. People with higher incomes buy bigger houses, nicer cars, etc. and often live paycheck to paycheck just like people with lower incomes. In the perfect world, no one should be living paycheck to paycheck and everyone should be saving/investing money no matter how much money they make. However, that is not reality for countless reasons for a lot of people in the US. 

Hubby makes a nice amount as a pilot for AA with 20 years in. We normally stay in balconies not unless a really good price comes up for a GS. I won't even consider any cabins above this because I don't think it's worth it. We could stay in more expensive cabins, but I believe in saving for retirement, investing, etc. We definitely don't live pay check to pay check. When his Navy Captain retirement kicks in in 2 years and he will still be flying for AA for another 5 years we won't move to a bigger house or buy fancier cars. We will continue to live how we have been living. We will go on more vacations after retirement since he won't have to worry about vacation time, but we will still live within our means. I have no sympathy for people who live paycheck to paycheck and then get in a bind when they have had large incomes. They should not have been trying to keep up with the Joneses, but then again that's their problem. It's sad some people don't even think ahead about the future.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2020 at 8:49 PM, voyager70 said:

@ReneeFLL respectfully disagree.  My best friend, my old college roommate, just lost his job today after 15 years with the company..  He has 4 children.  This stimulus is much needed.  I'm a small business owner and if it weren't for the government and banks assistance I don't know if I could survive.  God bless our government and banks.

I agree.  CA is TWENTY PERCENT of the 10 million people unemployed in the US as of last Wednesday.  I've been doubling my grocery delivery tips with Instacart and grocery stores for weeks.  They are the front line people, IMO, and if they are doing this for me and others, they must need the money. I may donate to the local food bank, too.

My son is checking around with his friends to see if everyone is OK in the meantime until they get their checks.  He and his fiancee are both working full time from home, so they are lucky ones.  I expect he will be making loans for the next few months until the unemployment and stimulus money start to flow.  My other son supports a University Medical Center, so he's working full time, too.  My DIL is a therapist, and telehealth is going through the roof with people dealing with so many emotional issues right now.

If you're in a "lucky" group, then help those who aren't.  It takes a village, even if the village has several hundred million people in it.  

Be safe, wash your hands, and whomever you are living with, hug them.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Hubby makes a nice amount as a pilot for AA with 20 years in. We normally stay in balconies not unless a really good price comes up for a GS. I won't even consider any cabins above this because I don't think it's worth it. We could stay in more expensive cabins, but I believe in saving for retirement, investing, etc. We definitely don't live pay check to pay check. When his Navy Captain retirement kicks in in 2 years and he will still be flying for AA for another 5 years we won't move to a bigger house or buy fancier cars. We will continue to live how we have been living. We will go on more vacations after retirement since he won't have to worry about vacation time, but we will still live within our means. I have no sympathy for people who live paycheck to paycheck and then get in a bind when they have had large incomes. They should not have been trying to keep up with the Joneses, but then again that's their problem. It's sad some people don't even think ahead about the future.

Does your no sympathy feelings also apply to the cruise lines? They had a boat load of money and decided to stick it in new ships and terminals. No sympathy for the company but there is for the rank and file workers, especially the U.S. citizens.

We did plan for the future before retiring. My equity investments are down about 40%, but there is still more than enough for the future as long as this doesn't’ drag out past the end of the year. We also have a rainy day fund made up of safe investments, and it’s substantial enough that’s it’s still growing as I write. After saying this, I still have compassion for the people in need, charity begins at home.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, NavyCruiser said:

Thinking of using our combined $2400 to buy 100 shares of RCL stock at around $22 & 100 shares of CCL stock at $8, around $3000 total.

So that considered re-investing into the economy...?

That's quite a ridiculous way to spend the money. The ones that are broke need it to pay bills, and if you are lucky enough not to need it, it should be spent on something to help with jobs

21 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

That's quite a ridiculous way to spend the money. The ones that are broke need it to pay bills, and if you are lucky enough not to need it, it should be spent on something to help with jobs

Telling someone to spend their money on what the speaker says/thinks is a high moral cause/purpose is so very wrong on so many levels.

Edited by InDaPast
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:52 PM, ReneeFLL said:

I can't say if I would think you or your friend should get any of the stimulus money, because I don't know your particulars. I'm talking about people who frivolously spend their money like there's no tomorrow and don't plan for such things. I don't think people who don't live within their means should get any of it. Why should my money go to people who just blow their money? That means that I'm paying for their fun. 😡 

Nobody earning $7.25 an hour is buying designer clothes. 

• Like 1