Silver Whisper questions from first-time Silversea cruiser!

alexandria

Hello all,

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.  DW and I retired last year (mid-fifties) and plan to begin cruising again after a too long hiatus.  We have optimistically booked a Nov 10 cruise on Silversea Silver Whisper as we are hopeful that the current crisis will be well-past by that point and wanting to do our part to "stimulate" the economy.  Our last few cruises were on HAL and for several reasons, including the recommendation of a good friend who is in the travel industry and knows our travel likes and dislikes, we want to give Silversea a try. 

I am a planner by nature and enjoy learning as much as possible before departure but have not found much in the way of recent (past two years) information on the Whisper.  But I may be looking in the wrong places!

Can anyone point me to where we can find recent (post-2018 refurbishment) photos and menus? 

Here are some questions for the Silversea veterans out there:

• We are currently booked in a Veranda suite (guarantee).  How long before departure are cabin assignments usually sent?  Does Silversea typically or often provide upgrade or upsell opportunities between booking and departure like HAL does (I recognize with such a small ship, that may not happen).  I'm open to such opportunities but booked a category that we will be well-satisfied in as well.
  • How long before departure are airline arrangements made for the included air transportation (I'm sure current circumstances may change what has been done in the past).  Does Silversea communicate with you or your TA about proposed flights before they book them for any feedback or concerns or do they just sent you the travel arrangements? 
  • I know gratuities are included but that some do tip extra to those who may go above and beyond during the trip and that there is also a "crew welfare fund" that one can give to if so led.  How is additional tipping or giving to the crew welfare fund handled if desired?  Is traditional "cash" okay?  How are gratuities handled for luggage at embarkation?  Is embarkation luggage handled by porters or Silversea crew? 
  • I see that some make advance requests for minibar provisions, but DW and I are pretty easy to please and will be happy with a selection of soft drinks (including sugar free) and perhaps some nice beer and wine.  With that in mind, what might we expect from our butler as far as stocking the minibar?  (We prefer coke products, not pepsi).  Other than the fruit, is the minibar stocked with any snacks (nuts, pretzels, chips, crackers, etc.)
  • Given that the Whisper is a small ship and we have two sea days from FLL to San Juan, should we prepare for and perhaps expect a little more motion that we have experienced on larger ships (2000 passengers)?
  • I have read some comments that suggest that Silversea MDR menus do not change aside from a "recommended" selection each night.  But most of those comments seem to be related to the even smaller expedition ships.  Do the menu offerings in the MDR vary each night?
  • While I do have a tux, packing might be easier without it.  But I also don't want to be in a very small minority who comes to a formal night in a dark suit rather than tux.  Do most gentlemen wear a tux on the formal nights or would a suit be more than adequate and within expectations.
  • Any tips, hints, suggestions, advice? 

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we countdown to departure.  Thanks in advance for the help!

16 minutes ago, alexandria said:

Hello all,

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.  DW and I retired last year (mid-fifties) and plan to begin cruising again after a too long hiatus.  We have optimistically booked a Nov 10 cruise on Silversea Silver Whisper as we are hopeful that the current crisis will be well-past by that point and wanting to do our part to "stimulate" the economy.  Our last few cruises were on HAL and for several reasons, including the recommendation of a good friend who is in the travel industry and knows our travel likes and dislikes, we want to give Silversea a try. 

I am a planner by nature and enjoy learning as much as possible before departure but have not found much in the way of recent (past two years) information on the Whisper.  But I may be looking in the wrong places!

Can anyone point me to where we can find recent (post-2018 refurbishment) photos and menus? I can post some of our menus from WC 2020

Here are some questions for the Silversea veterans out there:

• We are currently booked in a Veranda suite (guarantee).  How long before departure are cabin assignments usually sent?  Depends, may not be until a few days before.  Generally, a few weeks before.  Keep checking your MYSILVERSEA.  Does Silversea typically or often provide upgrade or upsell opportunities between booking and departure like HAL does (I recognize with such a small ship, that may not happen).  I not aware of any upsell offers like the main stream cruise lines do.  I'm open to such opportunities but booked a category that we will be well-satisfied in as well.
  • How long before departure are airline arrangements made for the included air transportation (I'm sure current circumstances may change what has been done in the past).  I believe they wait until after final payment is made.  However, for a few I believe SILVERSKY will book specific flights further out.  Does Silversea communicate with you or your TA about proposed flights before they book them for any feedback or concerns or do they just sent you the travel arrangements? Generally through your TA.
  • I know gratuities are included but that some do tip extra to those who may go above and beyond during the trip and that there is also a "crew welfare fund" that one can give to if so led.  How is additional tipping or giving to the crew welfare fund handled if desired?  Strictly on a one to one personal basis.  We like the crew welfare fund.  ON the Silversea Passengers facebook page there is a "tipping" guideline along with alot of other good information.  Is traditional "cash" okay?  Cash is preferred.  How are gratuities handled for luggage at embarkation?  Is embarkation luggage handled by porters or Silversea crew? Porters from shoreside.
  • I see that some make advance requests for minibar provisions, but DW and I are pretty easy to please and will be happy with a selection of soft drinks (including sugar free) and perhaps some nice beer and wine.  With that in mind, what might we expect from our butler as far as stocking the minibar?  (We prefer coke products, not pepsi). Coke is there normal product line - pepsi upon request.   Other than the fruit, is the minibar stocked with any snacks (nuts, pretzels, chips, crackers, etc.).  You can request these items through you butler.  Some guests like an afternoon cocktail in their suite and I see the butlers bringing nuts, chips, pretzels, popcorn, etc. 
  • Given that the Whisper is a small ship and we have two sea days from FLL to San Juan, should we prepare for and perhaps expect a little more motion that we have experienced on larger ships (2000 passengers)?  Depends on the sea conditions and the suite location.  If you have 10+ foot waves and a suite towards the front of the ship, you will have more motion than midships and a lower level suite.
  • I have read some comments that suggest that Silversea MDR menus do not change aside from a "recommended" selection each night.  But most of those comments seem to be related to the even smaller expedition ships.  Do the menu offerings in the MDR vary each night?  Yes.
  • While I do have a tux, packing might be easier without it.  But I also don't want to be in a very small minority who comes to a formal night in a dark suit rather than tux.  Do most gentlemen wear a tux on the formal nights or would a suit be more than adequate and within expectations.  Depends on the cruise.  Probably not too many on a Caribbean cruise.
  • Any tips, hints, suggestions, advice? 

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we countdown to departure.  Thanks in advance for the help!

See my answers to your questions above in red.  Here are the first two weeks of WC 2020 MDR dinner menus.  Please not that they also have a page of always available that they rotate after four days.  I post several of those separately.  I also have scanned copies of the Chronicles and the lunch menus if yo would like a sampling of those.

010720-1.pdf 010820-1.pdf 010920-1.pdf 011020.pdf 011120.pdf 011220-1.pdf 011320.pdf 011420.pdf 011520.pdf 011620-1.pdf 011720.pdf 011820.pdf 011920.pdf 012020-1.pdf

• Like 2

Brief answers to your questions from a Silversea veteran of 22 years so may be a little biased but will try not to be.Not sure where you will find photos post refurb 8n 2018.

Remaining answers in order of your questions

Cabin assignment usually when boarding but ask your agent to enquire a week prior.

We have always asked our agent to deal with. Silversea re flights and advised the Agent of our preferred routing.

Brochure stipulates no tipping required...all inclusive! It is up to you whether you differ from this and give gratuities which can be given to the Crew Fund at Reception or to the individuals concerned usually in US dollars.

We have always requested suite requirements via our Agent merely by updating the list we gave the Agent on our first Silversea cruise.

Sorry never experienced large cruise ships.We have never been disturbed by movement 

on any of our SILVERSEA CRUISES Apart from a sail through a storm in the Bay of Biscay many years ago which the ship /Captain and crew handled superbly.

MDR menus change daily on the Ocean fleet ,no experience of Expedition cruising.

Tux or Dark suits both Acceptable on formal nights.

No tips etc other than enjoy the luxury provided by a loyal and excellent crew who always seem to exceed expectations.

Hope this helps and that the current World situation is over by the time yo go in November.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, alexandria said:

With that in mind, what might we expect from our butler as far as stocking the minibar?  Whatever you want, if they have it on board, they will bring it to your minibar.  Other than the fruit, is the minibar stocked with any snacks (nuts, pretzels, chips, crackers, etc.) No, but you can request whatever you want and the Butler will bring it to you daily.

Given that the Whisper is a small ship and we have two sea days from FLL to San Juan, should we prepare for and perhaps expect a little more motion that we have experienced on larger ships (2000 passengers)?  Yes.  Obviously, everything depends on the "sea", but the sickest we ever got was on a Silver Spirit voyage out of FLL that had two days at sea at the start of the voyage.  The waves weren't large, but the swell was interminable.  From then on, we've always carried sea-sickness patches with us.

While I do have a tux, packing might be easier without it.  But I also don't want to be in a very small minority who comes to a formal night in a dark suit rather than tux.  Do most gentlemen wear a tux on the formal nights or would a suit be more than adequate and within expectations.  I usually bring both, but I'm an oddball like that.  Typically, you'll see one-third in tuxedos, one-third in dark suits, and one-third in any other type of jacket or appropriate casual clothing depending on the dining venue on a formal night.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies and the menus! 

DW and I enjoy sampling new wines along with perhaps new dishes we haven't tried before.  During meal service, do they have suggested or recommended wine pairings among the included wine selections or is it more of a "house" white or "house" red unless you request something different or special.  

I have heard that the lunch buffet at La Terrazza is excellent but haven't heard much about dinner there.  How are the dinners at La Terrazza?  Are reservations required or suggested?  Also, does the Whisper have The Grill dinner (where food is cooked on hot lava rocks)?  Is that recommended?  Thoughts on La Dame?

Is there a place on board to get coffee and cappaccino early in the morning before strolling around on deck (I'm a very early riser, 5am or so).  Is the fitness center open 24 hours for an early morning work out?

Thanks again!

Edited by alexandria
Added follow-up questions

1 hour ago, alexandria said:

DW and I enjoy sampling new wines along with perhaps new dishes we haven't tried before.  During meal service, do they have suggested or recommended wine pairings among the included wine selections or is it more of a "house" white or "house" red unless you request something different or special.  

I have heard that the lunch buffet at La Terrazza is excellent but haven't heard much about dinner there.  How are the dinners at La Terrazza?  Are reservations required or suggested?  Also, does the Whisper have The Grill dinner (where food is cooked on hot lava rocks)?  Is that recommended?  Thoughts on La Dame?

Is there a place on board to get coffee and cappaccino early in the morning before strolling around on deck (I'm a very early riser, 5am or so).  Is the fitness center open 24 hours for an early morning work out?

Thanks again!

Hi, I love dinner in Terrazza.  Italian Menu (you probably guessed that LOL).  Food and service are really good:classic_smile:

Yes, reservations normally required but you can check with the Maitr'd the same day too...if you feel like going

last minute and see if they have space available.   The Grill, you can cook or they can cook for you. I enjoy it

but it varies---some folks think it is not the greatest but I have had very good meals there so just giving you my

opinion.  La Dame, every time I have wanted to try it, something else came up LOL.....I do know it is supposed to

be very good.  Terrazza and The Grill are no charge....La Dame is 60.00 pp.

Early coffee---The Panorama Lounge has coffees/teas early in the morning.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

See my answers to your questions above in red.  Here are the first two weeks of WC 2020 MDR dinner menus.  Please not that they also have a page of always available that they rotate after four days.  I post several of those separately.  I also have scanned copies of the Chronicles and the lunch menus if yo would like a sampling of those.

Thanks for the helpful information and the lunch and dinner menus!  I'd love to see a sampling of the Chronicles from the Whisper as well whenever you have time to post a few.

Looking forward to experiencing Silverseas in November!

22 hours ago, alexandria said:

DW and I enjoy sampling new wines along with perhaps new dishes we haven't tried before.  During meal service, do they have suggested or recommended wine pairings among the included wine selections or is it more of a "house" white or "house" red unless you request something different or special.  Generally, they have a recommended white and red wine both for lunch and dinner in both La Terrazza and the MDR.  Generally, the two venues have different recommendations.  My suggestion is to meet up with the sommelier and/or the assistant sommelier and explain to them your taste in wine and see what they recommend.  Also, if you do not care for the recommended wines, you can always request something else.  They are more than willing to please.  SS has one of the most varied, wide ranging complimentary wine selections.  Depending upon the cruise, they also acquire local wines - Australian, New Zealand, Argentinian, Chilean, SOuth African, etc.  

I have heard that the lunch buffet at La Terrazza is excellent but haven't heard much about dinner there.  How are the dinners at La Terrazza?  Are reservations required or suggested?  Also, does the Whisper have The Grill dinner (where food is cooked on hot lava rocks)?  The grill is very good, casual (you can even wear shorts) and you can either cook the food yourself or they will cook it for you.  Be on the alert for fresh fish they acquire in some ports which they have in the MDR for both lunch and dinner and they at the grill for lunch during sea days.  Is that recommended?  Thoughts on La Dame?  It's a very nice experience, with an intimate atmosphere, an excellent food, especially the souffle for desert.  I would recommend you try it to see if it suits your taste.  

Is there a place on board to get coffee and cappaccino early in the morning before strolling around on deck (I'm a very early riser, 5am or so).  Is the fitness center open 24 hours for an early morning work out?  The Panorama generally does not open for expresso or cappucino until 6:30 am.  The fitness center is open from 6 AM until 8 PM although I believe some guest are there early.  Not sure as I am not up that early. 

Thanks again!

See my comment in red.  I'll post copies of the Chronicles later today.

• Like 1

If you want coffee before 6:30, ask your butler for it the day before.

the fitness center cannot be open 24 hours because it is above the bridge and senior officers’ cabins.

On Silversea, if you want something, just ask for it!  If it Is on board, they will be more than happy to get it for you.  If you want a special meal, meet with the Maitre d’ a day ahead and place your order.

The Whisper is a wonderful ship with a great crew.  I know you will enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My DW and I are very blessed that when we cruise, we usually end up losing weight.  I suspect that we spend more time walking (particularly on port days) that we might otherwise...

I have a few more questions that have popped up if anyone can help or chime in...

1.  I have read on other posts (and here:  https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2019/april/guests-enjoy-unprecedented-luxury.html) that caviar is available and complementary but saw on the room service menu that there is a charge per tin.  Can anyone clarify?

2.  Thanks again for the menus!  I haven't seen any breakfast menus though (room service or MDR).  Does anyone have one they can post or point me to where I might see one?

3.  We are booked in a Veranda 1 guarantee and our TA requested a cabin on the starboard side when we booked.   It appears on My Silversea that we are now assigned 502, which is a port side cabin (it previously said GTY).  In looking at an online TA where you can select your cabin, I see good availability of Veranda 1 cabins on the starboard side.   My TA has contacted Silversea to request we be moved to a starboard cabin.  Is it pretty typical that Silversea would ignore(?) our request for a starboard cabin and are they flexible about reassigning us to our desired side of the ship?  I understand that a guarantee means I may end up with a port side cabin, but as a first impression this wouldn't seem like the type of service one might hope for from a luxury line.  (I did see a recent interview with Mark Conroy where he mentioned striving to have the service provided by the shore-side of Silversea reach the level of the service provided on board, so perhaps that is a weak spot).

Thanks again, stay safe all...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, alexandria said:

My DW and I are very blessed that when we cruise, we usually end up losing weight.  I suspect that we spend more time walking (particularly on port days) that we might otherwise...

I have a few more questions that have popped up if anyone can help or chime in...

1.  I have read on other posts (and here:  https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2019/april/guests-enjoy-unprecedented-luxury.html) that caviar is available and complementary but saw on the room service menu that there is a charge per tin.  Can anyone clarify?  They serve complimentary Ars Italica caviar.  The room service menu is higher end/quality caviar.  You can get the complimentary caviar anytime. any place.

2.  Thanks again for the menus!  I haven't seen any breakfast menus though (room service or MDR).  Does anyone have one they can post or point me to where I might see one?  See attached.  I believe that the MDR menu is about the same - don't know for sure as we don't do breakfast usually.  La Terrazza is a buffet, lots of fruit, with items cooked to order.

3.  We are booked in a Veranda 1 guarantee and our TA requested a cabin on the starboard side when we booked.   It appears on My Silversea that we are now assigned 502, which is a port side cabin (it previously said GTY).  In looking at an online TA where you can select your cabin, I see good availability of Veranda 1 cabins on the starboard side.   My TA has contacted Silversea to request we be moved to a starboard cabin.  Is it pretty typical that Silversea would ignore(?) our request for a starboard cabin and are they flexible about reassigning us to our desired side of the ship?  I see no reason that they would not accommodate your request.  Be advised that suite up front will be awaken by the anchor when not docking..  I understand that a guarantee means I may end up with a port side cabin, but as a first impression this wouldn't seem like the type of service one might hope for from a luxury line.  (I did see a recent interview with Mark Conroy where he mentioned striving to have the service provided by the shore-side of Silversea reach the level of the service provided on board, so perhaps that is a weak spot).  Yes, it is.

Thanks again, stay safe all...

Room Service Breakfast Menu.pdf

• Like 2

When you book a guarantee you can never be certain of the cabin you will get. That is why they are cheaper and no one has a right to complain. If a certain deck or location is that important then pony up the extra money and choose your cabin.

• Like 2

Silversea was kind enough to accommodate our request for a starboard side suite and we were reassigned yesterday.  While any veranda suite would have been perfectly acceptable, it is appreciated when a request can be honored.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alexandria said:

Silversea was kind enough to accommodate our request for a starboard side suite and we were reassigned yesterday.  While any veranda suite would have been perfectly acceptable, it is appreciated when a request can be honored.

I'm glad you got what you wanted. I was just making a general statement that a guarantee cabin means just that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

I was almost 100% sure that they would do so.  What suite did they assign?

They actually moved us up two decks to a starboard Veranda 2 on Deck 7.  I told our TA that we would be very content to remain on Deck 5 in a Veranda 1 as booked, but that we would greatly appreciate it if they could just "swap" us to the other side of the ship.  Apparently Silversea insisted on both moving us to the starboard side and providing a modest upgrade in the process.  It is always nice when expectations are not just met but exceeded.

(BTW...my username refers to the city in NOVA, where I lived and worked many years ago...)

Edited by alexandria
  • Like 1

I am looking at the same cruise but need to get 2 canceled cruises (May MidEast and August Alaska) straightened out before I re-book anything.  Anyway, I was on Whisper last November and felt very little movement on our sea days to FLL.  I had a Vista booked and was offered an upgrade to a Veranda by my TA several weeks before.  The butler kept me well-stocked with Coke, Ginger Ale, Pellegrino, and Ice.  He removed the beer as I'm not a fan.  He offered more bubbles.  Just ask that first day.  I had bags of pretzels and MM's in the suite but had not asked for those.  The MM's were eaten and then replenished.  I contributed to the crew fund rather than individual tips as I want to recognize those behind the scenes.  There were very few tuxes/gowns. I wore flowy pants with fancy tops/jackets for formal nights.  The Grill was fabulous for dinner...I ate there twice with the solo groups.  Also ate at La Terrazza twice.

Decided I needed a Cabernet tonight since I can't have a cruise but feel free to ask anything else!

Missy in Maryland

• Like 1