What to do if no more cruising??

AndyMichelle

I have fancied having a go on the Caledonian Sleeper  or the Riviera overnight to Cornwall, or the Paris to Vienna 

sleeper train .

Knowing my luck I would be grumpy as hell ,due to lack of sleep the next morning .

Just another I would like to tick off my bucket list  for Mrs Kalos and myself.

One day maybe who knows . :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Les_ldh said:

Isn’t that a Cornish term for someone not born in Cornwall?

Emmet (alt. spellings emmit or emit) is a pejorative nickname that some Cornish people use to refer to the non-Cornish. It originally referred to tourists who visit Cornwall but has also been used by native Cornish Folk to refer to "incomers" or residents who have moved to the county but were not born there.

2 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Isn’t that a Cornish term for someone not born in Cornwall?

That's pretty much my understanding. Not quite as derogatory as grockle but not a term of endearment either. Quite amusing when you hear either term used by a "local" talking with .a Knightsbridge accent

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That's pretty much my understanding. Not quite as derogatory as grockle but not a term of endearment either. Quite amusing when you hear either term used by a "local" talking with .a Knightsbridge accent

If I visit now I’ll understand when I am being insulted.

In some parts of Scotland they switch from speaking perfectly good English to Gaelic when they see a non local coming. It’s so funny when you wish them a good morning in Gaelic and they then wonder just how much of their conversation you have understood.😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

In some parts of Scotland they switch from speaking perfectly good English to Gaelic when they see a non local coming. It’s so funny when you wish them a good morning in Gaelic and they then wonder just how much of their conversation you have understood.😈

On our first ever cruise ( Island Escape ) our fellow guests were gibbering away to themselves most of the meal. Towards the end, one of them said " I hope you don't think we were being rude by speaking Welsh". Not all all I replied, I thought you were German.

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

If they don't speak English I reply 

Hola Buenos Dias.

43 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Indeed prayers for Boris and for everyone who has this horrible virus. I don’t like the mans politics but I fervently hope he fully recovers soon.

Perhaps the fact that someone so high profile and relatively young is so ill will make some of the idiots pay more attention to the rules.

Yes the Lake District is lovely and we like Wales but still have much to discover there. There are so many lovely places we have yet to visit in the UK so perhaps now is the time.

I think that Scottish Health spokeswoman who likes her second home has done us all a disservice.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

If they don't speak English I reply 

Hola Buenos Dias.

Some really old people on the islands genuinely have very little English but everyone else can speak it perfectly well when they choose to. It is however really handy when avoiding touts in holiday promenades, they back off quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On our first ever cruise ( Island Escape ) our fellow guests were gibbering away to themselves most of the meal. Towards the end, one of them said " I hope you don't think we were behind rude by speaking Welsh". Not all all I replied, I thought you were German.

We were sat having a cup of tea in a cafe in Lanzarote chatting away in our South Yorkshire accents.

The Cafe owner came up to collect our payment and said to Mrs Kalos ...

"I love your accent,which part of South Africa do you come from ??????????":classic_wacko:

At least he got the South part right ,bless him .:classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I think that Scottish Health spokeswoman who likes her second home has done us all a disservice.

Yes her and everyone else who has broken the rules.  There are several people very much more high profile than her who have done so yet she seems to be getting the pellets.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

We were sat having a cup of tea in a cafe in Lanzarote chatting away in our South Yorkshire accents.

"I love your accent,which part of South Africa do you come from ??????????":classic_wacko:

You have to chuckle. We were in Florida. The waitress  sat at the table to take the order. Gee, I love your accent , where are you from?. London we replied. Oh, I have friends in London, perhaps you know them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes her and everyone else who has broken the rules.  There are several people very much more high profile than her who have done so yet she seems to be getting the pellets.

HRH Charles didn't feel well so he popped up to Scotland to his second, third, forth? Home to self isolate. You couldn't make it up.

• Like 4

Just now, zap99 said:

You have to chuckle. We were in Florida. The waitress  sat at the table to take the order. Gee, I love your accent , where are you from?. London we replied. Oh, I have friends in London, perhaps you know them.

Hah, try India... 

Every waiter seemed to say ' you must know my cousin Raj'. .. He lives in Birmingham/Bradford/Blackburn... Always seemed to begin with B? 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It seems to be 1 rule for some and another rule for everyone else.

I have driven twice, 2 miles round trip to Morrison's for food in the last fortnight and working from home ringing customers.

We have had 3 walks outside in the last fortnight and currently sitting in our back garden.

If only everyone would obey the rules it would help us all.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

HRH Charles didn't feel well so he popped up to Scotland to his second, third, forth? Home to self isolate. You couldn't make it up.

I heard the Prince of Wales had the virus.. 

I'm staying away from that pub then... 😊

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

We often get asked if we were from Ireland.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You never know.  I was in a hotel in Nova Scotia talking to the receptionist when a man asked where in the UK was I from, I told him Stoke and he said that he served with someone from Stoke in WW2 perhaps I knew him.  When he said the name it was my uncle, we have surname that is common in Devon but in Stoke we are all descended from my grandad so there was no doubt.  I took a photo of the man and when I got back I visited my uncle and gave him the Canadian's contact details along with the pic and my uncle remembered him and they kept in touch until he died.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It seems to be 1 rule for some and another rule for everyone else.

I have driven twice, 2 miles round trip to Morrison's for food in the last fortnight and working from home ringing customers.

We have had 3 walks outside in the last fortnight and currently sitting in our back garden.

If only everyone would obey the rules it would help us all.

Our car has done 9 miles in the last 3 weeks, like you  I have used it to go to Tesco once each week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

You never know.  I was in a hotel in Nova Scotia talking to the receptionist when a man asked where in the UK was I from, I told him Stoke and he said that he served with someone from Stoke in WW2 perhaps I knew him.  When he said the name it was my uncle, we have surname that is common in Devon but in Stoke we are all descended from my grandad so there was no doubt.  I took a photo of the man and when I got back I visited my uncle and gave him the Canadian's contact details along with the pic and my uncle remembered him and they kept in touch until he died.

I have a very,very long story in that vein, but it gets boring. But if your from Stoke, you must know Slash😁