What to do if no more cruising??

AndyMichelle

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I didn't go, but his UK tour a few years ago was called " Made in Stoke".

There was an article in our lo also paper about him, he lived in the Blurton area of Stoke as a young child with his grandparents.

Does anyone think that we will be able to have a British holiday in August this year? We are more than happy to stay in the UK but am not sure that places will be open and, if they are, how safe they would be. We have a lovely lodge that we have booked again for May (probably wont be able to go) and would book it in a heart beat for August IF we thought it would be available / safe.

18 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Does anyone think that we will be able to have a British holiday in August this year? We are more than happy to stay in the UK but am not sure that places will be open and, if they are, how safe they would be. We have a lovely lodge that we have booked again for May (probably wont be able to go) and would book it in a heart beat for August IF we thought it would be available / safe.

Nobody knows how long this will last, but I expect British holidays will be the first to pick up when restrictions are eased as, for instance, you could fairly self isolate in your lodge and sanitise it on arrival. 

I hope things start to ease fairly soon, but it will be a long time before we get back to normality... 

Andy 

5 hours ago, kalos said:

We were sat having a cup of tea in a cafe in Lanzarote chatting away in our South Yorkshire accents.

The Cafe owner came up to collect our payment and said to Mrs Kalos ...

"I love your accent,which part of South Africa do you come from ??????????":classic_wacko:

At least he got the South part right ,bless him .:classic_smile:

In Malaysia one year the waiter thought we were German. I thinks it's the gutteral  Yorkshire twang.😉

Avril 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Our car has done 9 miles in the last 3 weeks, like you  I have used it to go to Tesco once each week.

I nearly made a rude comment. I thought you said TRESCO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Hope things will be ok by then. We are on Iona at the end of August. If travel restrictions aren't relaxed, how will we get to Southampton?🤔

Were are booked on Oceana with a pre night stay in Malta from the 12th August. Sadly I can't see that happening and if it did am not sure how confident I would feel to be so far away from home at the moment ----

We have a 2 week holiday in Sorrento booked for August 2021 and can't say we are confident about that one either to be honest :-(

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

If travel restrictions aren't relaxed, how will we get to Southampton?🤔

Well, it wont matter much, because if you are not allowed to travel to Southampton,  there won't be a country in Europe that will allow you to dock!

Realistically,  I can't see the cruise going ahead . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Were are booked on Oceana with a pre night stay in Malta from the 12th August. Sadly I can't see that happening and if it did am not sure how confident I would feel to be so far away from home at the moment ----

We have a 2 week holiday in Sorrento booked for August 2021 and can't say we are confident about that one either to be honest 😞

I hope that you get to Sorrento, one of my favourite places.  We can't fly now but the memories of holidays in Sorrento never fade.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, it wont matter much, because if you are not allowed to travel to Southampton,  there won't be a country in Europe that will allow you to dock!

Realistically,  I can't see the cruise going ahead . 

Bless.😁

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 12:29 PM, grapau27 said:

We often get asked if we were from Ireland.

We were in North Wales and a man mentioned our accent then, his daughter asked if we were Irish.

At least they didn't' call us Geordies. Most people think if you are from around here that's what you are.

My bil, is though. When we went on our Baltic cruise he was most put out that the map showed Sunderland and not Newcastle. Of course I loved it (though not a football fan). The discussion on deck had one bloke smiling on the bed opposite.  I think though he must have complained as they took Sunderland off and put Newcastle on the map. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 8:33 AM, Josy1953 said:

I hope that you get to Sorrento, one of my favourite places.  We can't fly now but the memories of holidays in Sorrento never fade.

We went there on our honeymoon and last year we made sure that we booked a cruise where we could go back again for our 25th. It was so beautiful and when we got back we booked a fortnight in August for 2021. It has been heart breaking to see what has happened in Italy and the poverty in the South. Am hoping that we can go back in 2021.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, emam said:

We were in North Wales and a man mentioned our accent then, his daughter asked if we were Irish.

At least they didn't' call us Geordies. Most people think if you are from around here that's what you are.

My bil, is though. When we went on our Baltic cruise he was most put out that the map showed Sunderland and not Newcastle. Of course I loved it (though not a football fan). The discussion on deck had one bloke smiling on the bed opposite.  I think though he must have complained as they took Sunderland off and put Newcastle on the map. 

So you must be a Mackem then?

I made the mistake of referring to a friend from Sunderland as a Geordie...

Still not forgiven.. 

Andy 

• Haha 2

There are many people who have no idea how to enjoy life and enjoy yourself. The world is huge and there are so many things to try, so many places to travel. I honestly dont understand people who think that cruising is the only way to see the world. You can just take your car and visit a neighbouring city. Its also an adventure. Or you can exlore some new Mall or try going to some bar that you havent ever been

• Like 3

Just now, Roger88 said:

There are many people who have no idea how to enjoy life and enjoy yourself. The world is huge and there are so many things to try, so many places to travel. I honestly dont understand people who think that cruising is the only way to see the world. You can just take your car and visit a neighbouring city. Its also an adventure. Or you can exlore some new Mall or try going to some bar that you havent ever been

We are guilty of this.. 

I have visited some lovely places to work in the UK with the vow that I will return as a tourist but never do.. 

Time to change that now I think... 

Andy 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We are guilty of this.. 

I have visited some lovely places to work in the UK with the vow that I will return as a tourist but never do.. 

Time to change that now I think... 

Andy 

You are very welcome to come to Stoke if you wish, provided Malcolm doesn’t tag along. After all I have driven from Stoke to Southampton several times, it’s pretty easy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

At the moment we are rediscovering the beauty of our garden in Spring time. It has always been at its best in Spring but this year, with the sunshine, it is stunning. What with the colour and the sound of the birds late evening …. cocktail in hand, you can't beat it. 

Stay safe everyone and appreciate what is around you this beautiful Easter weekend

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You are very welcome to come to Stoke if you wish, provided Malcolm doesn’t tag along. After all I have driven from Stoke to Southampton several times, it’s pretty easy.

Lovely weather up here at the minute and Tunstall Park is stunning and very peaceful ;-)

Then again, it may be August when you can visit but the sun may appear at some point !!

Edited by Presto2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Not good memories of Stoke unfortunately...

Been a few times for football, not pleasant, especially in the 80s and worked there in the 90s, not much better.. 

I will just keep the windows shut and look straight ahead on my way to the Lakes, thank you... 😊

Andy 

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Lovely weather up here at the minute and Tunstall Park is stunning and very peaceful 😉

Then again, it may be August when you can visit but the sun may appear at some point !!

I thought you lived the other side of the city from Tunstall. We are a mile away from the park but tend to stick to the Scotia Greenway when walking the dog. I agree that it has been a lovely day though and hopefully set fair for a while. 

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Not good memories of Stoke unfortunately...

Been a few times for football, not pleasant, especially in the 80s and worked there in the 90s, not much better.. 

I will just keep the windows shut and look straight ahead on my way to the Lakes, thank you... 😊

Andy 

It’s amazing how quickly you can go off someone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1