What to do if no more cruising??

AndyMichelle

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

We once stayed at Hayle in Cornwall Beautiful beaches down there and I had 

rented a ford Tourneo van which was about a month old at the time.

One day we drove into St Ives with the van and made the mistake of driving through a back street .

We came to a curve in the road and we had the wing mirrors folded inwards and got through  with an 

odd inch if that from the walls to spare. Next day it was parked up at St Erth and we got the train into St Ives.

Good luck anyone with a Campervan or  Winnebago through them streets. You would need it .:classic_unsure:

Too old now for caravanning, but I always thought that if we did have a campervan I would want a city car or similar hoisted on the back of it, for use when parked up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Too old now for caravanning, but I always thought that if we did have a campervan I would want a city car or similar hoisted on the back of it, for use when parked up.

I think I would make use of the old railway lines in these rural places, just use the camper van for sleeping in.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

And you might also need a green card.

What about a GB sticker for the car  and those headlight diffuser things 

they had stuck on the headlamps :classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, AndyMichelle said:

So what are your thoughts if cruising as we know it is finished? 

Not saying it is, just what if? 

What will you do, where will you go? 

Should we arrange a UK holiday where we can all meet up?

At least we would be with people who enjoy the same sort of thing... 

Who would be up for it? 

Any suggestions welcome... 

I know we bicker like children sometimes, but what I have learnt recently is that there is a tremendous amount of care and respect amongst us. 

I know this would be some people's nightmare, but I for one would love to spend time in your company. 

Let me know if you like or hate this idea? 

Either is fine, just putting it out there... 

Andy

Andy....great idea to arrange a UK holiday where we can all meet up and I have the perfect place  & hotel in mind....what about a separate thread  for people to put their names down....if you think yes then I will let you know place & hotel....if nothing else it will give us something positive to think about even though probably nothing will come of it. 

• Like 3

What a cheery thread! 
I’m relatively new to cruising compared to some of you (first one 2012) and I love them. 
Normally only do one a year and often only 7 nights. However we’ve got 12 nights booked for October for my husband’s 60th and I’m going to be gutted if it’s cancelled.

Ive also booked a 14 night med cruise for sept 21.

Anyway point is we’ve already done a lot of Britain and France (which we love) so although there’s some gorgeous places in the Uk nothing beats a cruise holiday for me. Hate flying so really don’t want the stress of that.

Only this morning I said to hubby he should think of somewhere he’d really like to go in the Uk as a replacement holiday as we’re trying to think what to do if cruises still aren’t running but travel in the Uk is running again. We had a lovely holiday once in Guernsey using the condor ferry so he did suggest that .

On 4/4/2020 at 5:12 PM, SeaJane said:

About 20 years ago we traveled on a small plane from Lands End to the Isles of Scilly. Each passenger had to be weighed before boarding the plane to decide where everyone would sit. The final couple to get on the scales were somewhat large! We were then told that if all the booked passengers wished to travel on the flight luggage could not be transported until the following day. The couple then volunteered to postpone their journey instead! 

How mortifying for them!!

28 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Andy....great idea to arrange a UK holiday where we can all meet up and I have the perfect place  & hotel in mind....what about a separate thread  for people to put their names down....if you think yes then I will let you know place & hotel....if nothing else it will give us something positive to think about even though probably nothing will come of it. 

I would definitely be up for it, not sure how many others would and I appreciate that, but still think it would be fun. 

Andy 

13 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

What a cheery thread! 
I’m relatively new to cruising compared to some of you (first one 2012) and I love them. 
Normally only do one a year and often only 7 nights. However we’ve got 12 nights booked for October for my husband’s 60th and I’m going to be gutted if it’s cancelled.

Ive also booked a 14 night med cruise for sept 21.

Anyway point is we’ve already done a lot of Britain and France (which we love) so although there’s some gorgeous places in the Uk nothing beats a cruise holiday for me. Hate flying so really don’t want the stress of that.

Only this morning I said to hubby he should think of somewhere he’d really like to go in the Uk as a replacement holiday as we’re trying to think what to do if cruises still aren’t running but travel in the Uk is running again. We had a lovely holiday once in Guernsey using the condor ferry so he did suggest that .

There is no doubt we would all prefer to cruise, but with possible age/health/insurance restrictions, it may not be an option for some of us for the foreseeable future.. 

Guernsey sounds great, at least the Condor Ferry will not require tenders... 

Andy 

On 4/4/2020 at 10:31 AM, pete14 said:

If cash is a problem, the gas bottle outside may have a deposit paid on it that you can collect on return - a bit like pop bottles in the dim and distant. Judging by the dimensions, and I realise it may be an optical illusion, the furniture, fixtures and fittings must be tiny to fit into what looks like quite a small caravan. Whatever, I wouldn’t fancy towing down the motorway behind the car.😉☺️

Kalos

The Bailiffs are outside with an eviction order, something about unpaid refunds!

😎

• Haha 2

If I am allowed to dream for a moment.  If we can not go on a cruise for a while I would love to buy ourselves a camper van, load up the dogs and go up to Scotland, park up on the first golf course we find, get the clubs out and off we go.  As the courses will probably be empty...everybody will be safe from my hooks, slices and all the other bad shots i have perfected in 40 years of hacking my way round golf courses. Scotland beware😎

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, moonstone01 said:

If I am allowed to dream for a moment.  If we can not go on a cruise for a while I would love to buy ourselves a camper van, load up the dogs and go up to Scotland, park up on the first golf course we find, get the clubs out and off we go.  As the courses will probably be empty...everybody will be safe from my hooks, slices and all the other bad shots i have perfected in 40 years of hacking my way round golf courses. Scotland beware😎

We need to dream at the moment...

I doubt you will get in the car park though with my Winnebago stuck in the entrance.. 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

Just now, moonstone01 said:

I like golfers like you. I don’t play but I really enjoy a stay at some of the lovely golf hotels   we have (which usually have excellent restaurants and large spas) as nothing beats sitting out on your balcony / at the window with a glass of wine in hand watching golf.

The good players are a bit boring really, people like you offer much more entertainment. Best yet are the usually foreign tourists who have on the weird clothes, very expensive equipment and muck about for ages with practice swings then hit the ball only for it to roll just a few yards when they top it. Priceless entertainment.

Golf hotels may be my alternative to cruising short term as they are some of the few hotels in Scotland that offer rooms with a balcony. The views of the sea from Carnoustie or the old course hotel are lovely (and entertainment laid on as well by the golfers). 

Sounds like you have a good plan too.😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moonstone01 said:

and as for self isolation, once i am in a bunker it will take me 7 days to get out

I call it a sand pit. I know full well that is is a bunker but it’s fun to sit out on the patio at the Jigger Inn with the golf fraternity around and see them tut tut when you mention the  “sand pit”.

By the way the house beer there is very good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I call it a sand pit. I know full well that is is a bunker but it’s fun to sit out on the patio at the Jigger Inn with the golf fraternity around and see them tut tut when you mention the  “sand pit”.

By the way the house beer there is very good.

I do the same on cruises, constantly calling the ship a boat or He...

Andy 

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, AndyMichelle said:

So what are your thoughts if cruising as we know it is finished? 

Not saying it is, just what if? 

What will you do, where will you go? 

Should we arrange a UK holiday where we can all meet up?

At least we would be with people who enjoy the same sort of thing... 

Who would be up for it? 

Any suggestions welcome... 

I know we bicker like children sometimes, but what I have learnt recently is that there is a tremendous amount of care and respect amongst us. 

I know this would be some people's nightmare, but I for one would love to spend time in your company. 

Let me know if you like or hate this idea? 

Either is fine, just putting it out there... 

Andy

Hi Andy and Michelle

Great Idea would love to meet up with everyone, maybe once a year and in a different place.

Stay safe and well

Bob and Elaine

• Like 1

We've rented holiday cottages in the UK a few times and our favourite is in North Yorkshire. It meets our son's requests of having it's own swimming pool (so no sharing with others outside our party) and the pool is part of the main building (so he doesn't have to go outside to a separate building, e.g. barn, to get in the pool).

So far so good with our favourite choice, it's got the pool, it's not far to travel and there are plenty of attractions to visit nearby including the coast.

Now the downsides no chef, waiters, cabin steward or cleaners. Entertainment we can manage for ourselves.

But the biggest downside of all? Current prices for this July-August school holiday period £2100 PER WEEK! So with food and days out on top we could easily end up spending £5k+.

Alternatively we could take other family members with us and split the cost as there are 4 bedrooms. However, we then become the chefs, waiters, cleaners etc. for a larger group as we know from experience that not everyone pitches in.

Give me a cruise any day!

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3

I don't always call it a bunker, i have a few other names for it but that's for another day.  My wife thinks I am a conservationist as I am always in the long grass or by a tree.  After reading about my golf i think it is time i took up another sport that i can humiliate myself with...now where is my tennis gear?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

We've rented holiday cottages in the UK a few times and our favourite is in North Yorkshire. It meets our son's requests of having it's own swimming pool (so no sharing with others outside our party) and the pool is part of the main building (so he doesn't have to go outside to a separate building, e.g. barn, to get in the pool).

So far so good with our favourite choice, it's got the pool, it's not far to travel and there are plenty of attractions to visit nearby including the coast.

Now the downsides no chef, waiters, cabin steward or cleaners. Entertainment we can manage for ourselves.

But the biggest downside of all? Current prices for this July-August school holiday period £2100 PER WEEK! So with food and days out on top we could easily end up spending £5k+.

Alternatively we could take other family members with us and split the cost as there are 4 bedrooms. However, we then become the chefs, waiters, cleaners etc. for a larger group as we know from experience that not everyone pitches in.

Give me a cruise any day!

I’m with you! I try and be frugal and look at cottages etc but I price them up (the really nice ones) and I say to my hubby they are only say £200 less than a cruise and there’s no food or entertainment included! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

There is no doubt we would all prefer to cruise, but with possible age/health/insurance restrictions, it may not be an option for some of us for the foreseeable future.. 

Guernsey sounds great, at least the Condor Ferry will not require tenders... 

Andy 

Indeed! We went there a couple of years before our first cruise and weren’t that bothered we didn’t dock as we’d been all over the island. However we’ve now been on two more cruises that have missed Guernsey so may be nice to go back, we did stay in a very nice hotel! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Kalos

The Bailiffs are outside with an eviction order, something about unpaid refunds!

😎

ERRRR  Ah well Seeing I was only letting it out to the P&O cruisers and I'm far too busy for things of that nature .

I have sub contracted the refund work out to the receptionists on the Azura .

So next time your onboard    you can apply in person by showing your booking form, 

Where  you will get a refund  in 12 weeks or was it months possibly years but you will 

get it   ... Honest ! :classic_unsure::classic_unsure::classic_unsure:

PS The Bailiffs have booked a week   :classic_wink:

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 1