What to do if no more cruising??

AndyMichelle

On 4/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, Josy1953 said:

You never know.  I was in a hotel in Nova Scotia talking to the receptionist when a man asked where in the UK was I from, I told him Stoke and he said that he served with someone from Stoke in WW2 perhaps I knew him.  When he said the name it was my uncle, we have surname that is common in Devon but in Stoke we are all descended from my grandad so there was no doubt.  I took a photo of the man and when I got back I visited my uncle and gave him the Canadian's contact details along with the pic and my uncle remembered him and they kept in touch until he died.

That’s a lovely story Josy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I've only been to Stoke once, and truly loved it - we won 4-1 in 1999, including a screamer from Ally Pickering against his old club. 😉

I didn’t live here in 1999, but sadly, I have seen too many defeats in the last few seasons. Still, better times are just around the corner😏

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I thought you lived the other side of the city from Tunstall. We are a mile away from the park but tend to stick to the Scotia Greenway when walking the dog. I agree that it has been a lovely day though and hopefully set fair for a while. 

No, not sure why you think that. I am pure black and white end, hubby is from the red and white end (but I forgive him!)

No, just about 10 minute walk from the top end of the park - we use the other greenway walk (can't remember what it is called) - walk behind the park and back through it via the ducks :-)

The weather is looking good this weekend so have saved some scraps for the ducks tomorrow - won't loiter but will throw them at them as we pass !!!

Have a great weekend

PS Which end is the Scotia Greenway? Burslem? I know that there are 2 near us - I think that there is the Whitfield one and another that goes to Tunstall behind Victoria Park Road but not sure what that is called.

Edited by Presto2

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Not good memories of Stoke unfortunately...

Been a few times for football, not pleasant, especially in the 80s and worked there in the 90s, not much better.. 

I will just keep the windows shut and look straight ahead on my way to the Lakes, thank you... 😊

Andy 

I used to like you !!! Have you been drinking? Are you in a grumpy mood ????

This is now 2020 and you will find us all loving, happy, carefree people - with a great taste in cruise lines

Cough  (If you apologise nicely I won't report your to the mods ;-)

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I've only been to Stoke once, and truly loved it - we won 4-1 in 1999, including a screamer from Ally Pickering against his old club. 😉

If you thrashed Stoke City then you are even more popular in my eyes ;-)

25 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I didn’t live here in 1999, but sadly, I have seen too many defeats in the last few seasons. Still, better times are just around the corner😏

I've been here since 1963 so have seen it all come and go ……………. as long as it is B&W I am happy ;-)

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I used to like you !!! Have you been drinking? Are you in a grumpy mood ????

This is now 2020 and you will find us all loving, happy, carefree people - with a great taste in cruise lines

Cough  (If you apologise nicely I won't report your to the mods 😉

As a football fan, Stoke was genuinely the scariest place I visited in the 80s, I could not believe the hatred, even to their own team... 

I'm sure it's all lovely now and you are all lovely people... 

Andy 

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

As a football fan, Stoke was genuinely the scariest place I visited in the 80s, I could not believe the hatred, even to their own team... 

I'm sure it's all lovely now and you are all lovely people... 

Andy 

Ah us folk in the North of the City are Port Vale supporters. We are much more cuddlier and friendlier than the Stokies. We are the North of the City --- different people, different scenery, different completely. (Well, ish and sort of)

Truth is, lots of us are not even football supporters. My hubby is from the red and white end of the City and a gentle giant. Perhaps one day when all of this is over we can all meet up in a cocktail bar on a P&O ship and you won't need counselling after !

Stay safe :-)

I originate from a lovely little village in Stoke-on-Trent called Bentilee 🤣 and was a big fan of Stoke City in the 70s and followed them home and away. Saw the light and havent paid to get in current stadium or Victoria Ground for many years the last time was Victoria Ground when Stoke played Spurs and Stoke fans gave Garth Crooks ex Stokie a lot of stick and he scored a hat trick and Stoke lost 4-1. Damaged me for life and dont even watch football on TV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I originate from a lovely little village in Stoke-on-Trent called Bentilee 🤣 and was a big fan of Stoke City in the 70s and followed them home and away. Saw the light and havent paid to get in current stadium or Victoria Ground for many years the last time was Victoria Ground when Stoke played Spurs and Stoke fans gave Garth Crooks ex Stokie a lot of stick and he scored a hat trick and Stoke lost 4-1. Damaged me for life and dont even watch football on TV.

My big memory was when Graham Paddon was manager, ex West Ham player and the abuse he was receiving from some of his own fans was disgraceful... 

But, we have plenty of idiots supporting West Ham, so I know we can't all be tarred with the same brush. 

I look forward to this being over and we can put the world to rights over a G&T in Anderson's.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

One of the gutting thing for me about no cruising is that my team always seems to play well when we're on a ship. 

In January on the Oceana we came from behind to beat Leicester, and the night we beat the ManU at Old Trafford when there were three of us watching opposite 50 plastic Mancs was probably the highlight of the cruise 😏😂

If I could afford back-to-back from August through May I'm convinced we'd be league champions! 😉

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Worked at a school in Bentilee - met some lovely people there and have happy memories :-)

What was your address?

33 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

My big memory was when Graham Paddon was manager, ex West Ham player and the abuse he was receiving from some of his own fans was disgraceful... 

But, we have plenty of idiots supporting West Ham, so I know we can't all be tarred with the same brush. 

I look forward to this being over and we can put the world to rights over a G&T in Anderson's.. 

Andy 

Nerrr --- has to be Oceana for us ;-)

9 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Hope your not including me in that equation.I'm just an armchair idiot,lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Nah, she will be bean cans in no time.... 

Andy 

See, you're doing it again !!!! Where's that button to report a post ????? :classic_tongue::classic_ohmy::classic_blink:

We are off out now FOR EXERCISE, FOR EXERCISE

:classic_wink:

Edited by Presto2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

See, you're doing it again !!!! Where's that button to report a post ????? :classic_tongue::classic_ohmy::classic_blink:

:classic_wink:

Enjoy your exercise... 

Just been out to do my little community bit, it's very quiet... 

Andy 

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Enjoy your exercise... 

Just been out to do my little community bit, it's very quiet... 

Andy 

Very quiet here too and any one we saw on our walk was very sensible and kept their distance. It is interesting that more people seem to be saying 'Hello' or 'Good morning' when they see one another. I'd say that in total we saw about 40 individuals in 45 minutes - all walking in twos or at most a family of 4. We saw most from a distance. The local park was very quiet and no one was there to sunbathe etc etc, just walking through. The children's play areas were completely empty. Even the ducks looked like they were social distancing and seemed to be enjoying the peace and tranquillity with so few humans around!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Presto2 said:

You probably all saw the email from cruise critic about how you can do a virtual cruise at home. My DW and I are going to do a 7 night cruise tomorrow. We will start at Woking and go to.........Woking. We will have a virtual lifeboat drill at our virtual muster station on the patio. After that we will pile our plates up from the fridge and cupboard, walk around the house trying to find somewhere to sit and pretend we are in the buffet😁

• Haha 1