To upgrade now or wait?

Cornteen

First, please don't reply with "your cruise will be cancelled, don't bother", I'm well aware of that. 

I'm scheduled for Sky in September, New England/Canada. I booked an inside cabin. I would like to use my stimulus check to upgrade to a balcony. It's nearly impossible to get an agent on the phone so an option would be to cancel this and rebook a balcony. 

Was also wondering if prior to sailing a balcony might open up and they might offer it at a discounted rate? Does that happen?  Or are chances pretty slim?

Thanks.

If everything gets back to normal;  some people may not want to cruise for various reasons;  so you may get upgraded to a balcony.  I would wait before spending your stimulus check.

• Haha 1

Hi. 

It’s such an unprecedented situation that it’s hard to predict what will happen based on past data. It can go different ways.

In one scenario, demand drops dramatically and as a result, prices drop as well as we get closer to sailing. In another scenario, because there will be so many sailing cancelations during the next few months, that will create a much smaller supply of cabins available for the rest of the year . If a large percentage of people who are unable to sail during the next few months rush to book whatever cruises are available once cruising ramps up again, you’ll expect fares to sky rocket. But if people choose to stay home, even after cruises resume, then prices may drop, even considerably, as we get closer to sailing. People are already rebooking their canceled cruises for dates later in the year. 

What will happen from now until then is pure speculation, so don’t put too much weight on anybody’s prediction of the future, which right now varies from gloom and doom to positive and bright. Since you’re probably still a few months out before having to make your final payment, you can upgrade now to your desired balcony stateroom without having to pay extra up front, and then monitor your sailing for price drops until your final payment date. If you see a price drop, you can have your cruise fare adjusted, but once you’re past your final payment, you won’t be able to adjust your price anymore. Or you can hope that cruisers don’t return as quickly, wait to upgrade until close to sailing inside final payment, and hopefully take advantage of some last minute price drops.

Keep in mind that sometimes when the cruise line offers some insane price drops at the last minute, they will only offer these fares to new bookings and not to people who are already booked and who wish to upgrade (happened to us, We tried to upgrade to a mini suite at the last minute because price was within $50 of what we’d paid for an ocean view, but the cruise line wouldn’t honor that fare because it was for new bookings and wanted considerably more money instead for us to upgrade). With that said, cruise lines have been adjusting their policies to make them more generous and attractive to traverse this situation, so who knows if policies will change as well concerning these scenarios. 

Whatever you choose, I hope that you have a wonderful cruise, and that by September, we are all enjoying cruising again! 😀

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Many folks including myself have reported getting free upgrades in the last month or so.  I went from balcony to mini-suite for July cruise on Sky.   I actually believe this is to discourage folks from re-faring, since prices have gone down dramatically.  Did you agree to be upgraded?  If not, I would change that first and give it a little time and see if you get a free upgrade.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cornteen said:

First, please don't reply with "your cruise will be cancelled, don't bother", I'm well aware of that. 

I'm scheduled for Sky in September, New England/Canada. I booked an inside cabin. I would like to use my stimulus check to upgrade to a balcony. It's nearly impossible to get an agent on the phone so an option would be to cancel this and rebook a balcony. 

Was also wondering if prior to sailing a balcony might open up and they might offer it at a discounted rate? Does that happen?  Or are chances pretty slim?

Thanks.

As others have pointed out...maybe waiting is your best option.

However, if you decide to go ahead..."it's nearly impossible to get an agent on the phone". Do you mean at Princess, I called last week and the wait was less than 5 minutes. Do you mean a travel agent? After finalizing my booking when I called Princess (stupid website wouldn't let me use my FCD again!), I called the TA that I usually use. She answered the phone within 3 rings. So no problem either way.

If you decide to go for a balcony, you'll have to call someone (TA or Princess). You can't upgrade or cancel using the internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We also got upgraded for our July cruise from Inside to Deluxe Balcony. It is ultimately your choice, but waiting was a benefit for us. (We have already decided that if July gets cancelled that cruise in September is our backup plan.)

• Haha 1

OK, I'm single, cruising inside cabins most times.  I would wait for awhile, see what happens, do they get back on schedule?  As someone mentioned, there have been upgrades from insides to balcony lately, and I've had it happen on the Royal. 

Do you have OBC with the booking?  I have a great deal for my Sky Aug. 24 Grand Adventure, obstructed balcony and thought for 26 days why not go for a deluxe?  Well, I would lose my OBC which is sizable, over $500. I can live without a couch.

Think about it, you have to do what is right for you, weigh your options, you have time yet and could wait awhile.

• Haha 1

I self-upgraded a couple of weeks ago by emailing my crack Princess PVP from a high up inside (IB) to an obstructed deluxe balcony on Discovery for 12/21  … little 4 day cruise to Grand Turk and back … only cost up $10 pp total for the 4 days 🤑

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cornteen said:

It's nearly impossible to get an agent on the phone so an option would be to cancel this and rebook a balcony. 

47 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

So no problem either way.

If you decide to go for a balcony, you'll have to call someone (TA or Princess). You can't upgrade or cancel using the internet.

I agree with JF.  You have to get someone to act - neither cancel nor change is a self-service option.  

I got a Princess agent OTP in no time (extra recordings to listen to is all).  I email my TA and she is "on it" quite quickly.  Recently, I have had both a cabin location move and transferred Bonus Gift Card dollars from one booking to another.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I self-upgraded a couple of weeks ago by emailing my crack Princess PVP from a high up inside (IB) to an obstructed deluxe balcony on Discovery for 12/21  … little 4 day cruise to Grand Turk and back … only cost up $10 pp total for the 4 days 🤑

and if we tried to do the same self-upgrade to a little 5 day cruise this fall on the SKY, it would be $330 pp total … gonna wait on that one for now ...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I agree with JF.  You have to get someone to act - neither cancel nor change is a self-service option.  

I got a Princess agent OTP in no time (extra recordings to listen to is all).  I email my TA and she is "on it" quite quickly.  Recently, I have had both a cabin location move and transferred Bonus Gift Card dollars from one booking to another.

Thanks fellow Steeler fan. I tried last week on phone and message said due to virus, wait times would by longer than usual. I'll try again today. 

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If everything gets back to normal;  some people may not want to cruise for various reasons;  so you may get upgraded to a balcony.  I would wait before spending your stimulus check.

I totally agree with you. I think a lot of people will be thinking twice before getting on a cruise ship after all this. 
Tony

I pray for all the doctors and scientists, and drug companies who are working overtime to find a from test results.  I am so proud of the entire world working together to find a solution.  All the best

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

True, but I personally will be rarin' to go.

Hi Mr. Steelers,

I hope you have a great time on all your future cruises this year. I think I will be cruising only on The Rowboat this year.  Just to be safe.  After all the Rowboat isn’t that bad. 

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

E00898F9-5A8F-44D3-832C-CF4132BAF320.jpeg

Edited by Lucky TGO

7 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Mr. Steelers,

I hope you have a great time on all your future cruises this year. I think I will be cruising only on The Rowboat this year.  Just to be safe.  After all the Rowboat isn’t that bad. 

Tony

Tony,

I was going to warn you to keep your "social distancing" on the Rowboat. Then I saw the picture. Never mind.

20 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Mr. Steelers,

Tony

Last time I saw it, this was the real Rowboat:

HD wallpaper: Boat, Rowing, Old, Rowboat, Wooden, clinker, rot ...

On 4/6/2020 at 7:13 AM, Cornteen said:

Thanks.

tenor.gif

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Last time I saw it, this was the real Rowboat:

HD wallpaper: Boat, Rowing, Old, Rowboat, Wooden, clinker, rot ...

Hi Mr. Steelers,

My biggest fear about going on a cruise is this. Your on a cruise ship with 3,000 passengers and only one has to come down with this horrible virus. Now I’m locked in my cabin for 14 days and then I’m locked down again in some army base for another 14 days. This is what’s  keeping me from booking. So this year it’s the new Rowboat for me and my family. So for me I don’t care about any kind of upgrade I may receive for booking a cruise this year. 

BTW Your picture of my first rowboat brings back a lot of good memories. 😁

Your Friend,
The Captain of Rowboat,

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

Our cruise is due 27th of July so ....well you can guess we're not confident!! Shame because we had 2 obstructed balconies on Regal and got upgrade to 2 mini suites we should be hopping round the room with joy but we need to be real about this. Stay safe everyone we can get through this.