New CDC cruise restrictions

10 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I just wonder what force of law the CDC 'order' has.  Notwithstanding the constitutional issues, can they just issue 'orders' that have the force of law?  I'm sure no constitutional lawyer but I'm curious about the power they wield (or think they wield).

Anyone know for certain?

Enforcement

If a quarantinable disease is suspected or identified, CDC may issue a federal isolation or quarantine order.

Public health authorities at the federal, state, local, and tribal levels may sometimes seek help from police or other law enforcement officers to enforce a public health order.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Coast Guard officers are authorized to help enforce federal quarantine orders.

Breaking a federal quarantine order is punishable by fines and imprisonment.

CDC Enforcement.

J

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

In my opinion, one of the main reasons for the masks are for those that are infected and are not yet showing systems. Since no one knows if they have it (until symptoms appear), it is best for everyone to wear one.  I have a box of N95 masks in front of me and it is clear on the packaging that it will not prevent "you" from becoming infected.

Did you originally purchase the masks to protect yourselves or to protect others?  IMO, they can protect "you" to some extent, but not without supplementing them with hand washing, not touching your face, etc.

5 hours ago, BBWC said:

Very interesting indeed. So it sounds almost like they need two spare ships, one hospital and one for quarantine, in case some people have to be moved. Also, looks like it would take a significant upgrade of onboard medical facilities (isolation wards, respirators).

Actually as I read on page 4, "CLIA commits to making five ships available for temporary housing purposes. They would be tasking with sailing to any affected ship and taking affected guests and crew aboard for any self-isolation period." Substantial commitment!

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

47 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Did you originally purchase the masks to protect yourselves or to protect others?  IMO, they can protect "you" to some extent, but not without supplementing them with hand washing, not touching your face, etc.

I originally purchased the masks to protect my husband and myself (I was not aware of what I am aware of now).  I also did not think about touching my face (I should have known better).  The medical grade wipes were the best thing that I purchased.  We use them on all flights to clean the areas around us.  Once onboard the ship, I wipe down the telephone, remote control, light switches, door handles, etc.  I have washed my hands “properly” for years.  And, when I enter a dining venue I use the sanitizer before being seated.  In La Veranda, after using the utensils, I sanitize my hands again.  I truly believe that these measures helped us stay healthy on our last cruise.

Like so many other people, I knew little about how to prevent getting something as serious as Covid-19.  And, as much as I have posted about needing a mask from the beginning, I did not wear one until the CDC suggested it (because I didn’t want to look stupid......... what a dumb reason!!!!). 

My husband is quite elderly but very healthy.  Still, I worry about him 24/7.  I am immune compromised but am not overly worried about myself.  

Although it may be hard to tell, I am trying to be positive, follow the rules and keep safe.  I understand that much of what I read on this board is not accurate.  I don’t blame anyone because no one really knows the facts about this new virus.  However, I do not see a reasons why posters are nasty to each other.  

Sorry - you asked a simple question and I took it as an opportunity to vent.  

Stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what the fuss is about. New regulations are inevitable after this shutdown, especially in Europe.

There was no chance of cruises going in Europe before high summer, the ports will not be open and anyway Italy, Spain and the UK will not want these. At best the start up will be September 1st and I think the entire season in Europe and Canada will be lost. At the most optimistic Christmas onwards may see a return to 'normal '. How will the crew get there to ships without the airlines, passengers will not travel without a lot of certainty that the virus is over.

In Britain few expect schools, colleges, universities to reopen before the autumn, some parts of the US are now realising what fake news of reopen after Easter is.....

We must ride this out ,trust Regent survives and does the right thing with FCC, realism is required, it may be hard but 100 days close down is realistic and new measures which may inconvenience some are inevitable. It will take a while to get ships , crewed, in the right place and with passengers after clearance from the virus allows travel again , maybe 3 / 4 weeks.

Lets carry on cruising but accept the World will be a different place after this be optimistic about 2020 cruises but with a realistic view  !!

Keep well and safe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Someone is posting on another forum that this paper was withdrawn and will not be in effect.

Yes please, details if you can! 

(I wouldn't be at all surprised if it gets canned, since the idea of having two other ships hovering around waiting for people to get sick is quite absurd, I think.  And by absurd, I mean that it ain't gonna happen.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

16 minutes ago, az2sea said:

From what I have read so far, the CDC did withdraw the paper but only to make some corrections for clarification purposes.  It is suppose to be resubmitted this coming week.

Might fix error of "Celebrity Coral Princess" and a couple of grammatical/typos.

Marc

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Someone is posting on another forum that this paper was withdrawn and will not be in effect.

24 minutes ago, az2sea said:

From what I have read so far, the CDC did withdraw the paper but only to make some corrections for clarification purposes.  It is suppose to be resubmitted this coming week.

By "paper", are we talking about the no sail order?  If so, it still appears on the CDC website.  

Link:  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

This is what was being discussed on another forum

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/11/2020-07677/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

There was some discussion if "withdrawn' meant rescinded or simply hidden from the public.....

Edited by Pcardad

An earlier version of the official notice was withdrawn. Current version is back, with plans to publish in the Federal Register on the 15th. https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/current

The 100 days start running on the date of FR publication. So, if actually does go up on the 15th, it will run until July 14. Unless one of the other conditions kicks in first, which I would not count on.

On 4/11/2020 at 7:00 AM, bissel said:

TC, that box of N95s you have in front of you would be much appreciated by your nearest hospital. They NEED them.

I did donate about 20 masks but kept a box of 3 (plus one from another box).  

29 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

The 100 days start running on the date of FR publication. So, if actually does go up on the 15th, it will run until July 14. Unless one of the other conditions kicks in first, which I would not count on.

Slight calculation error there wishIweretraveling not 90 days but, 100 days so end date July 24, 2020

To slightly move the topic away from CDC but still relevant to the "cruise of not question", another thread on this Regent board discusses the problem of air transport to and from a cruise totally in non - US waters. Some who are booked for cruises totally in Europe late in the summer have had the foresight to to check the status of their flights with the airlines and have found that those flights don't exist anymore!  Reportedly, Regent is attempting to book on other flights, but is having problems getting the dates and times to match the cruise. As all here probably know the airlines have been eliminating many flights due to low demand, which is down 94% to 96% compared to pre pandemic levels. The largest percentage of cuts have been in international flights, but domestic flight numbers have also been reduced severely. 

On 4/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, az2sea said:

Has anyone seen this?  The title of which is, "White House task force quietly softened cruise ship no-sail restrictions after months of industry deference":

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-task-force-quietly-173657054.html

But then there's this, which would be the death knell for the summer, if not the whole year I think: https://viewfromthewing.com/europe-may-ban-visitors-until-september-australia-through-end-of-the-year/?fbclid=IwAR2suVibx6k-wwUkzMDtj-dsX5m9GafEQdVS2_1M19HwJvJZn1bjOB0jVA4

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

44 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Has anyone seen this?  The title of which is, "White House task force quietly softened cruise ship no-sail restrictions after months of industry deference":

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-task-force-quietly-173657054.html

But then there's this, which would be the death knell for the summer, if not the whole year I think: https://viewfromthewing.com/europe-may-ban-visitors-until-september-australia-through-end-of-the-year/?fbclid=IwAR2suVibx6k-wwUkzMDtj-dsX5m9GafEQdVS2_1M19HwJvJZn1bjOB0jVA4

Wendy, point of clarification.  The timeline is as far as I have seen.

The no cruise order started prior to the link you provided with the number of no sail days 120 and believe that was about April 8

What is in the yahoo link occurred and the 120 days was reduced to 100

The order was signed and a link was provided in many posts on CC on 9 with no schedule for the posting in the Federal Register which activates the order.

The order was removed  after being posted to the CDC website; don't exactly know when but fairly quickly

On Monday April 13 the latest revision was posted in the Federal Register for review with a date of April 15 for effectivity

https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/current?source=122648

I think timeline is as I posted but, might be a bit different.  What I do know is that the revision your yahoo link talks about was before the April 9 signing that stated the 100 days and a review of the Federal Register does not show the 120 day version the link mentions and then the April 9 version was pulled and now we have the April 13 version soon to be published on the 15th at least that is what the Federal Register shows as the proposed publishment date.

Edited by rallydave