What will RCC offer when I cancel in a couple of days?

On 4/14 our balance is do on a July 13th cruise out of Cape Liberty NJ. My wife, daughter and I have no intention of going on that cruise. I "heard" months ago that cruise lines will allow you to apply your deposit ( in my case it totaled $750) to a future cruise without penalty. Is that true?

Do I need to select that future cruise before our 4/14 balance due date? Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback. It's been months since I was on this forum so I'm really out of the loop. (My own fault...sorry!)

Edited by SSBrickNJ

It's only true if you don't consider the price of all the future cruises you can apply it to have gone way up.  If you don't care about that then it's true. 

No you do not need to select a future cruise before you pay the cruise off.  But if you have only paid the deposit, and if it is a refundable deposit, you can ask for your refundable deposit back.  Otherwise you can do what we are doing; wait until the cruise line cancels the cruise and ask for a refund.  If they don't file chapter 7 before then you just might get your money back.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

It's only true if you don't consider the price of all the future cruises you can apply it to have gone way up.  If you don't care about that then it's true. 

No you do not need to select a future cruise before you pay the cruise off.  But if you have only paid the deposit, and if it is a refundable deposit, you can ask for your refundable deposit back.  Otherwise you can do what we are doing; wait until the cruise line cancels the cruise and ask for a refund.  If they don't file chapter 7 before then you just might get your money back.

OMG, they are not going to go Bankrupt.  Please don't be so negative!!!

• Like 7

@lifes-a-beach Thanks very much!

I do NOT have a refundable deposit.

I HAVE INDEED only paid the $250 pp deposit.

So, let me get your advice straight....

I should let this Tuesday's 4/14 balance day go by without any action at all.

Don't call....don't email....just do nothing?

@SSBrickNJ  If you go to Royal's Cruise with Confidence page, question 8 answers your question.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed - the change fee will be waived.

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your final payment is due, then you have to pay it or cancel with their terms.

Or wait for them to cancel, then you get a refund or 125% refund. I might pay it off and wait to be cancelled, depends if you are a little bit of a gambler.

Cdc says cruises cant continue until at least july.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I suspect RCL will make an announcement in the coming days in response the announcement made by the CDC on cruise travel bans.      If I was you I would hold out till Monday, 4/13 and see what they say, if anything.

The announcement for next round of cancellations might not hit until may 1 or the week before.

OPs final payment due now so he needs to call and so something.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The announcement for next round of cancellations might not hit until may 1 or the week before.

OPs final payment due now so he needs to call and so something.

It's due Tuesday...4 days from now.

I am glad folks are reading this and giving advice.

I'd be grateful for existing responders to continue and new responders to offer their take on things.

I'm still not persuaded what I should do. Very grateful for what has been said though! 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rockmom said:

@SSBrickNJ  If you go to Royal's Cruise with Confidence page, question 8 answers your question.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed - the change fee will be waived.

I read what you were kind to share. Thank you!

The info. states that I have the ability to cancel up to within 48 hours of when we sail.

Yet, that would logically mean folks who are paid in full can cancel by waiting that long.

If I don't pay this Tuesday, then that doesn't apply to me.

Am I getting the gist of this correct?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SSBrickNJ said:

The info. states that I have the ability to cancel up to within 48 hours of when we sail.

Yet, that would logically mean folks who are paid in full can cancel by waiting that long.

Yes, but if you know you're not going, you can get your deposit as FCC without the $100 per person penalty.  You would need to call before final payment is due so you don't 'default' on the payment.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

The FAQs answer your questions.  Final payment deadlines still apply.  You need to make a decision to pay final payment, cancel or move your deposit.  You do nothing, you will lose your deposit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, karena1 said:

OMG, they are not going to go Bankrupt.  Please don't be so negative!!!

I also hope RCL does not go bankrupt but the investor in me can't ignore their situation.  RCL has now put ships up as collateral for massive transfusions of cash just to survive.  Those loans include "covenants" designed to protect (and potentially enrich) the lender.  Typically they state that when the borrower's financial condition deteriorates to a specified point the borrower is compelled to file for bankruptcy. 

9 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

It's due Tuesday...4 days from now.

I am glad folks are reading this and giving advice.

I'd be grateful for existing responders to continue and new responders to offer their take on things.

I'm still not persuaded what I should do. Very grateful for what has been said though! 😉

Do you have a link? I wasnt aware the late may/early june cancellations would be earlier than the last round d. 

Thanks

Normally you'd lose $100 per person of the deposit if you moved to a new cruise, they keep that as a fee for you moving that deposit.  But under the current situation, they are waiving that fee, so you could move the entire $750 to a new cruise, but the same people would need to cruise. It's would be allocated equally to the three names on the current reservation.  And hi Brick, from Long Branch.  😄  

Edited by rockmom
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Yes, but if you know you're not going, you can get your deposit as FCC without the $100 per person penalty.  You would need to call before final payment is due so you don't 'default' on the payment.  

I can get my $250 per person deposit back? I can call tonight or tomorrow and get it back???

4 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

If you don’t pay in full by the final payment date your reservation will be cancelled and you May  lose your deposit as the cruise then goes into penalty phase.  Not calling is the worst thing you can do. 

Call

you will be issued a FCC for the full amount of your deposit without any penalties. 

Just now, SSBrickNJ said:

I can get my $250 per person deposit back? I can call tonight or tomorrow and get it back???

You can't get a refund as it's a non-refundable deposit.  NRDs are able to be transferred, but as I said before, they hit you with a $100 per person fee.  This new policy during all the Covid stuff allows you to move the deposit and not have them keep that fee.  You won't be able to get anything refunded to you, only move it without the usual penalty. 

7 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Normally you'd lose $100 per person of the deposit if you moved to a new cruise, the keep that as a fee for you moving that deposit.  But under the current situation, they are waiving that fee, so you could move the entire $750 to a new cruise, but the same people would need to cruise. It's would be allocated equally to the three names on the current reservation.  And hi Brick, from Long Branch.  😄  

Oh...ok my Jersey Shore friend from Long Branch.

I can't get my deposit back and walk away without ever cruising in the future. I wish I could get the 3 person x $250 = $750

I wish I could get it all back and just walk away.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

2 minutes ago, rockmom said:

You can't get a refund as it's a non-refundable deposit.  NRDs are able to be transferred, but as I said before, they hit you with a $100 per person fee.  This new policy during all the Covid stuff allows you to move the deposit and not have them keep that fee.  You won't be able to get anything refunded to you, only move it without the usual penalty. 

Unless rcl cancels the cruise, assuming op pays off the cruise.

If rcl cancels then he can get a full refund.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SSBrickNJ said:

I can't get my deposit back and walk away without ever cruising in the future. I wish I could get 3 person x $250 = $750

It's the risk you take when booking non-refundable.  😞  I've had to take the $100 per person hit before when I needed to move a cruise for five of us to a new sailing because of a conflict with a family event that wasn't announced until after we already booked.  However, I still gamble and book NRDs most of the time.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you don’t pay in full by the final payment date your reservation will be cancelled and you May  lose your deposit as the cruise then goes into penalty phase.  Not calling is the worst thing you can do. 

Call

you will be issued a FCC for the full amount of your deposit without any penalties. 

I'm reading and responding as fast as I can while I have everyone's attention.

More than once you Cruise Critic regulars have posted "FCC" in your kind replies to me.

Does "FCC" mean Full Cruise Credit??

If not, what does "FCC" stand for?

Edited by SSBrickNJ

2 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

I can't get my deposit back and walk away without ever cruising in the future. I wish I could get 3 person x $250 = $750

Not going to happen.  Each person will get a $750 credit that you have to apply and sail by Dec 31 2021